• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

Thunderbear said:
Ugh, I guess people don't want Quality.

Pokemon? Brainwash your kids into consumers.

Mario Party 8? That's fantastic.

Spider Man 3? It's great to see amazing story telling awarded <sad sarcasm>.

No real surprises tho. Whatever platform does well in the holiday season, I hope that the quality games that are coming out for the three consoles are rewarded for their talents. (Bioshock, Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, etc.).

How's not being a consumer working out for you?

FrankT

sp0rsk said:
Looking at that worldwide graph, Nintendo could overtake Microsoft's nichibe in a month?

Close to 2 million in a month plus or minus the 360 figures in that time frame. Sounds like fuzzy math by any stretch.

DiatribeEQ said:
Attention Microsoft: You're being beaten by "Non-Competitors AND almost EVERY HANDHELD on the Market (Tiger says HI soon I figure).....time for Price drop, yes? Launch Halo 3 with Price drop & rule the world? yes?"

Or are you just going to sit there and still deny that Nintendo isn't a competitor? How many months in a row do you have to get beaten by them? How much "Public mindshare" losses in a row do you have to lose in order to before you "Get it?" Folks *WANT* to JUMP IN, but they won't JUMP IN, when the ticket to ride is 399$, but they sure as heck are at 249$

BTW, Microsoft, Reggie says notmyproblem.gif

I don't know how much cross over there really is here though. The people who are dying to buy a 360 but just can't afford it so they're buying a Wii?

This is sort of like people who find tickets too expensive to a Mega Death concert going to see Justin Timberlake instead.

felipeko

JodwayJJ said:
I would use a different measuring stick. I doubt even the PS2 version is going to sell as much as the original. There are too many factors contributing to the success of Manhunt 1 that we do not see for Manhunt Wii. Manhunt 1 in my opinion had better marketing and word of mouth. The title was riding off of recent Rockstar success, never before seen concept of gore and user-controlled violence on a mainstream system, and in all honesty, Rockstar went for the Shock factor to boost sales with Manhunt 1. And the same concept is never as shocking the second time around....
You'll use your "hands" to kill... What can be more shocking?!
I think Manhunt 2 on Wii can outsell Manhunt 2 on ps2 and Manhunt 1 ltd as well.

JCX

AniHawk said:
I would be surprised to see Manhunt 2 do well on the Wii.

I think Manhunt 2 Wii will either bomb or because a series breakout like what GTA3 did for the GTA series.

Krowley

JodwayJJ said:
I would use a different measuring stick. I doubt even the PS2 version is going to sell as much as the original. There are too many factors contributing to the success of Manhunt 1 that we do not see for Manhunt Wii. Manhunt 1 in my opinion had better marketing and word of mouth. The title was riding off of recent Rockstar success, never before seen concept of gore and user-controlled violence on a mainstream system, and in all honesty, Rockstar went for the Shock factor to boost sales with Manhunt 1. And the same concept is never as shocking the second time around....

All these things are true and I want to be clear that i'm not nessecarily expecting it to be a sales juggernaut or anything...

I'm just saying that it should sell pretty well. I think it's coming out during a pretty dry period and it's supposedly a quality game designed with the wii in mind.. Rockstar knows how to market their games and I expect this game will get a nice marketing push before release.

Good reviews, good marketing, gore and it's on a hot platform with very few releases around it. If it doesn't get decent sales (and i'm not talking zelda level or anything... just decent), I will start to worry... That's of course assuming that it lives up to the hype.

fernoca

Well, I do hope..that contrary to 99% of Wii third party games...
Take Two..actually..advertises the hell out of Manhunt 2 on the Wii.

Is always the same..
-They make the games
-They put the effort
-They DON'T advertise it
-They blame Nintendo for cannibalizing sales of third parties

GrimReaper said:
iwatawiimoney.gif

lol

Needs more Huey, Dewy, and Louie

Damn. Is utterly amazed at how Nintendo has taken next gen by storm with old age hardware and wonder stick.

Anecdotal Evidence previous reports had friends and family iffy on Wii, now friends and family want a Wii, hardcore Sony fans tempted to get Wii. Brother getting a Wii and 360, 360 too expensive and Hardware troubled, Friend has broken 360. Most love Xbox brand, but Wii is tempting.

PS3? There's just not a logical reason to get a PS3 seems to be the answer

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Where are the Xbox 1 numbers?

i wonder if Valve will announce a Wii project at E3.

something similar to Half Life with proper Wii controls would be amazing.

Orange Box would be neat, but really, i just wanna see Valve bust out some gravity gun stuff with the Wiimote.

Yoboman

Gold Member
PSP numbers are surprising. Makes me curious how much it'd pick up if that latest revision rumour on Kotaku was true

Krowley

imastalker co. said:
i wonder if Valve will announce a Wii project at E3.

something similar to Half Life with proper Wii controls would be amazing.

Orange Box would be neat, but really, i just wanna see Valve bust out some gravity gun stuff with the Wiimote.

I'd happily take a HL2 port.. I still haven't played that game.. My old pc won't run it, and I couldn't bare to play through a half-life game with an analog stick.

Mirimar said:
When it effectively drops the value of a game you're tring to sell by more than half..yea...

Or it takes a good game that a lot of folks may have wrote off as "another GTA-clone" and puts it in their hands anyway.

Or it guarantees good sales for a fairly good-sized investment and sequel for Real-Time Worlds.

Good game + good demo = more value, not less.

BuzzJive said:
Such a shame that all these big May Wii third party titles didn't make top 10:
Spiderman 3
Shrek the Third
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mortal Kombat Armageddon: 6 months late and no online edition
Tamagotchi: Party On
Surfs Up

But I'm really pulling for June:
The Sims 2: Pets
Resident Evil 4: Third Strike
Harry Potter (this actually could make it)
The Bigs: no online edition
Driver Parallel Lines: over a year late edition
Escape from Bug Island (YES!!)
Ratatouille (this could too)
Transformers

You forgot Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer . . . comes out tomorrow. I doubt any version of it makes the Top 10 . . . if it does, it won't be the Wii version.

Has Nintendo really provided enough support to allow 3rd parties to make online games yet? Do they have infra-structure or are we gonna end up with a lot of ad-hoc proprietary online systems?

JavyOO7

Thunderbear said:
I really don't want to argue with people, but this is my viewpoint. I believe it's short term thinking on Nintendo's part. But we'll see.

Cheap = Wii check. If your kid wants a console, are you going to fork out $200 or $600?

Transition period = The most console out there is still the PS2. The Wii looks better than the PS2 games wise and it's got an original and unique control method. For larger consumer audience, it's not dated.

Software development time cycles = the DS and the Wii share the common factor that it doesn't take as long to develop a title as a PS3 or Xbox360 title (or PSP in the DS's case). It's also using the same base as last generation, so there's no adjustment time for developers. This equals more quality titles in the short-term. No getting used to new tools etc.

Nintendo has also developed a lot of games towards the non-gaming community like Nintendogs and Brain Age. Sony and MS needs to pick up in this area.

The real question is, what is going to happen when Xbox360 and PS3 drops in price? What's going to happen when HD sets become more and more common (steadily over the next few years)? How soon is the Wii going to show its age?

The Wii showed its age since November '06. No doubt many consumers saw the difference between Gears of War and Wii Sports. Yet its the single title that has carried the Wii on its shoulders for 7 months now. Its the reason why the Wii has exploded into the phenom that is today. Its the reason why everyone has seen the potential the Wiimote could bring into gaming.

What's going to happen when 3rd parties start developing original, innovative titles that demonstrate full use of the controller?
What's going to happen when Nintendo does the same?

The Wii is the new DS.

As much as I love graphics and epic games we all by now should have come to a conclusion by now.

To the gamer that is not a hardcore gamer like the rest of us, graphics don't matter.

JodwayJJ

Krowley said:
All these things are true and I want to be clear that i'm not nessecarily expecting it to be a sales juggernaut or anything...

I'm just saying that it should sell pretty well. I think it's coming out during a pretty dry period and it's supposedly a quality game designed with the wii in mind.. Rockstar knows how to market their games and I expect this game will get a nice marketing push before release.

Good reviews, good marketing, gore and it's on a hot platform with very few releases around it. If it doesn't get decent sales (and i'm not talking zelda level or anything... just decent), I will start to worry... That's of course assuming that it lives up to the hype.

And I hope you're right. The title looks solid and it has its appeal. Just don't expect a million seller.

As for a Valve game.
Any FPS is more then welcome on the Wii. These developers need to get off their asses already with it.

speculawyer said:
You forgot Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer . . . comes out tomorrow. I doubt any version of it makes the Top 10 . . . if it does, it won't be the Wii version.

Has Nintendo really provided enough support to allow 3rd parties to make online games yet? Do they have infra-structure or are we gonna end up with a lot of ad-hoc proprietary online systems?

---

Well, we know EA has it, as both FIFA and Madden are online. Also GH3 will be online.
They've had the kits for many months now, and they're using them.

YYZ

Yoboman said:
PSP numbers are surprising. Makes me curious how much it'd pick up if that latest revision rumour on Kotaku was true
I'm shocked as well, the numbers are 50K higher than what I expected. If they did a revision and dropped the price by $20, it's going to be steady at 300-350k for some months.

besada said:
So Microsoft needs a price drop, Nintendo needs a wheelbarrow, and Sony needs a coffin.
just don't ask Microsoft for a coffin :)

Bad PS3 sales are good for people who want one and can't afford it. It's going to reinforce the need for an aggressive price drop. $100 isn't going to help many consumers. At least $150-200 please.

After seeing the Nintendo numbers...

th_inout.gif

Duderz

Banned
If MS can get the 65nm hardware and a price drop in time for Bioshock, I'm there. Microsoft has already put the knife in Sony, and it is ridiculous that they are content with Nintendo almost literally eating up the market. They need to start competing again. DROP THE PRICE.

LMAO PS3 You F-ing idiots. Drop the price yesterday or i will blow up your HQ.

Please god, do something, I need games *tear*

Yoboman

Gold Member
YYZ said:
I'm shocked as well, the numbers are 50K higher than what I expected. If they did a revision and dropped the price by $20, it's going to be steady at 300-350k for some months.
Indeed. Maybe Sony can turn the fortunes on this machine. It'd be hilarious if both handhelds were dominating the market :lol

Duderz said:
If MS can get the 65nm hardware and a price drop in time for Bioshock, I'm there. Microsoft has already put the knife in Sony, and it is ridiculous that they are content with Nintendo almost literally eating up the market. They need to start competing again. DROP THE PRICE.

Worldwide its close, So no, they didnt put a knife in sony. Imo 360 is in no better than Sony, if not worse.

Yoboman

Gold Member
I agree 360 should be doing much better. It's still going second worse, it's only looking better because of PS3. They should've dropped the price already

LAMBO said:
And really 360 software better be selling good. Hardcore gamers are who has bought the thing for the most part, if they aren't buying alot games no one will. $400 consoles, $60 games, $50 a year to play online, expensive peripherals, these prices are directed toward the enthusiast.

More like MS trying to recoup some losses... I wouldn't say this is accurate in any way. I'm very much a game enthusiast, I have thousands of games. I don't feel Microsoft is "targeting me" with this machine. Seems quite the opposite with the extremely overprice peripherals, more expensive games and such. Also, with my 360, what software should I be buying exactly?

Krowley said:
We should have a good measuring stick soon.. Manhunt 2 is getting lots of hype, it's been well marketed... It's a hardcore type of game. It's probably going to get good reviews based on the current journalist buzz.. It's being made to take full advantage of the wiimote.

That game has every advantage and should sell very nicley. If it doesn't then I would start to take some of the naysayers seriously on the subject of 3rd party's and the wii.

I think it will do OK, but not great. Probably not even good.
As a TTWO shareholder, I sure hope it proves me wrong!

I think The Bigs will be another good test of third party software. With all the baseball actions done using the Wii-mote, it should be a good type of title for the Wii.

psy18

I'm not believing this "3rd party won't sell on Wii" argument until I see a nonport-exclusive-great quality games bombed on Wii.

What games have such criteria in the upcoming release list?

Branduil said:
Someone posted this in the Media Create thread...
USJapanConsolescopy.jpg

Someone needs to make one with Mario climbing up the Wii chart with Master Chief standing on the top of the 360 chart ready to shoot Mario when he gets up there. :D

(I's got no photoshop nor photoshop skillz.)

The 360 and PS3 are selling about even worldwide on a monthly basis, even if you don't disregard the dozens of thousands of 360s that break down every month. To deny that MS is doing awful expanding the 360 userbase is extremely shortsighted.

psy18 said:
I'm not believing this "3rd party won't sell on Wii" argument until I see a nonport-exclusive-great quality games bombed on Wii.

I think Harry Potter and Manhunt 2 might be the first true titles of death.

jrricky

Banned
psy18 said:

Umm....none.

Krowley

speculawyer said:
I think it will do OK, but not great. Probably not even good.
As a TTWO shareholder, I sure hope it proves me wrong!

I think The Bigs will be another good test of third party software. With all the baseball actions done using the Wii-mote, it should be a good type of title for the Wii.

I also forgot harry potter, which seems to be targeting the wii as the primary platform and also looks to be fairly high quality for a movie game. Although that's the kind of game that you would expect to do well on a nintendo console anyway.

But yeah, there are a few games coming soon that should make the 3rd party debate more substantial and less about speculation. Good games with decent marketing and plenty of reasons to sell.

TheKingsCrown said:
I think Harry Potter and Manhunt 2 might be the first true titles of death.
you seriously think, that a Harry Potter game, in which the controller acts like a wand, on the best selling system, which also caters to the kid market, is going to bomb?

AceBandage said:
Well, we know EA has it, as both FIFA and Madden will be online. Also GH3 will be online.
They've had the kits for many months now, and they're using them.

fixed.

Just because some 3rd party games will be online in the future doesn't mean there were libraries and enough time to get the current games online.

USD

Fredescu said:
Fair enough, you're right about that. It takes a history of popular high quality games to develop IP recognition as strong as Mario or Madden though. I don't think anyone is making the argument that only "Mario or Zelda games" sell on Nintendo consoles. The argument seems to always be only "First Party games" regardless of quality or IP, which is what I disagree with.

This is where we disagree. "Most people" is the mass market who doesn't care about publisher name. Most people on GAF would probably be willing to try out a new IP from Nintendo before a no name. I think Boogie will be huge personally, because they will market the hell out of it, it will be aimed a large number of Wii users, and it is a singing and dancing party game. I said earlier in the thread that I think it will outsell Zelda, let alone other Nintendo new IPs like Disaster or whatever else. There's no IP recognition with that, just a good looking game at the right audience with (most likley) a buttload of marketing.
I think Boogie will be big for the same reasons. I'm not trying to overplay brand recognition, but I still think it plays a small role.

I'm not try to argue that only first-party games will be on the only ones successful, I'm arguing more about where third-party titles are going to go, what kind of titles will they be. I'm not convinced yet that third parties sales will be bigger on Wii, because it's almost always been Nintendo first, everyone else second for quite some time. It will guarantee that the Wii gets games, perhaps more in quantity, but not necessarily quality.

I'm not convinced that Wii games not aimed straight at the traditional Nintendo audience or the new "expanded" audience will sell well. Of course, I feel the same way about the 360 and some of its upcoming titles. I think most of my questions and concerns will be addressed by the end of the year.

Top Bottom