• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
quetz67 said:
Even if is Sony is, that doesnt mean Sony cant change. But actually I am pretty confident at least Sony Europe knows about the importance of Eyetoy.

And yes, I know it is only an acessory and not as completely integrated in the system. But guess what, I am pretty sure many people dont care about controlling every stupid game with a remote control. Many might be happy to control their party games with an eyetoy, their racing games with a wheel, their FPS with m/k and the rest with a standard or motion sensitive controller

Until they see the bill for buying all that little lot. The point that was trying to be made here was that you got everything you needed to play those games out of the one, lone box that you bought when you first picked up a Wii. It's simple, it's easy to set up, easy to store, and best of all isn't EXPENSIVE. Those steering wheels alone cost a fair bob - on the Wii you just turn your controller sideways and it saves you a lot of hassle too. If you want to go further and truly recreate the steering wheel feel you can buy one of those cheesy plastic shells that wheelifies your Wiimote, but again, that is completely optional and you do not need it at all to be able to play your games, unless you are fussy.

Matt

quetz67 said:
If of course one only uses his HDTV set for SD broadcasts, standard DVDs or playing Wii it might not be obvious to him.
And, amazingly, the far and away majority of the people who own HDTVs fall into this category.

quetz67

Banned
Matt said:
So, basically, developers are lying, the facts don't speak for themselves, and Nintendo has not changed at all. I see. Thanks for the info.
If you want to say it that harsh, yes!

But convince me with some examples, where developers really give some detailed examples of how Nintendo is now supporting them more than last gen (and besides conveinient development kits)

quetz67

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Until they see the bill for buying all that little lot. The point that was trying to be made here was that you got everything you needed to play those games out of the one, lone box that you bought when you first picked up a Wii. It's simple, it's easy to set up, easy to store, and best of all isn't EXPENSIVE. Those steering wheels alone cost a fair bob - on the Wii you just turn your controller sideways and it saves you a lot of hassle too. If you want to go further and truly recreate the steering wheel feel you can buy one of those cheesy plastic shells that wheelifies your Wiimote, but again, that is completely optional and you do not need it at all to be able to play your games, unless you are fussy.
As far as I know to make full use of Wii you need 4 Wiimotes, classic controllers and GC controllers bringing the price up to $400+ (the trick is not to tell). Sure still less than a PS3, but as I repeated, I dont think PS3 is for replacing what the Wii offers.

And btw. instead of using a steering wheel on PS3 you can just hold a PS3 like a Wiimote and have the same effect, just that there arent any stupid accessories yet like wheels where you can put your PS3 controller in (or are there?). The point is if I want a racing wheel I buy a serious one.

quetz67

Banned
Matt said:
And, amazingly, the far and away majority of the people who own HDTVs fall into this category.
actually I dont argue with that, but hopefully more people will be less ignorant in the future.

what I find strange about that is the big HD-Ready campaign that assures people the TVs are really ready for the future, why would they care if they just buy the TV for it's size?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
quetz67 said:
As far as I know to make full use of Wii you need 4 Wiimotes, classic controllers and GC controllers bringing the price up to $400+ (the trick is not to tell).
You're joking right? Surely you can't be serious and write that with a straight face...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
quetz67 said:
As far as I know to make full use of Wii you need 4 Wiimotes, classic controllers and GC controllers bringing the price up to $400+ (the trick is not to tell). Sure still less than a PS3, but as I repeated, I dont think PS3 is for replacing what the Wii offers.

And btw. instead of using a steering wheel on PS3 you can just hold a PS3 like a Wiimote and have the same effect, just that there arent any stupid accessories yet like wheels where you can put your PS3 controller in (or are there?). The point is if I want a racing wheel I buy a serious one.
Joke character confirmed :lol

Verve

quetz67 said:
As far as I know to make full use of Wii you need 4 Wiimotes, classic controllers and GC controllers bringing the price up to $400+ (the trick is not to tell).

Great that Sony gives you 3 additional Sixaxis for free when you buy a PS3, so your logic makes sense. I wonder how Amazon can get away with charging $40 for it, so the PS3 4-player setup comes to $720...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Starchasing said:
It was confirmed a while ago. Im happy people keep answering him, he is funny to read.
I've posted just because I've finished my popcorn.
Ok, got some potato chips.

quetz67

Banned
Verve said:
Great that Sony gives you 3 additional Sixaxis for free when you buy a PS3, so your logic makes sense. I wonder how Amazon can get away with charging $40 for it, so the PS3 4-player setup comes to $720...
No, Sony does not give you 3 extra controllers. But the fun on Wii comes very much from multiplayer in one room, while most games and gamers on the PS3 are rather single player or online centric.

I could go as far as to say that both consoles are very different and cater to a mostly different demographic, but thats obviously not what you people want to hear.

LCGeek

formerly sane
quetz67 said:

Doin't start that argument to get the full use of a ps3 you would need an hd set, considering the hdtv penetration rate quite a few people would need join in on the hd experience. Not only that by why did you say they would need 4 of each. You would need 3 wiimotes as 1 is included with the system. Odds are anyone playing a gc game will most likely have the controllers. Nor is it likely to find someone or the occurence of a full controller setup. Making use of hardware you buy console is really a person by person thing someone can get full use of a system with only a handfull of games while an hc might need to have in between 20-40 titles to get the same level of subjective. True console manufacturers don't tell the whole cost up front for what it takes for a reasonable multiplayer experience though you can't twist fact thePS3 and 360 are still going cost than Wii at this point.

Verve

quetz67 said:
No, Sony does not give you 3 extra controllers. But the fun on Wii comes very much from multiplayer in one room, while most games and gamers on the PS3 are rather single player or online centric.

you know, there are not only partygames for wii. there are single player games (e.g. zelda) and there are online games (e.g. mario strikers charged), too. although i admit that theres not much variety for the latter at the moment.

nli10

quetz67 said:

I could go as far as to say that both consoles are very different and cater to a mostly different demographic, but thats obviously not what you people want to hear.

I have a feeling that some people here would have much higher costs for 4 player multiplayer as they would have to pay three people to spend time with them - on or offline...

quetz67

Banned
Hatorade said:
Doin't start that argument to get the full use of a ps3 you would need an hd set, considering the hdtv penetration rate quite a few people would need join in on the hd experience. Not only that by why did you say they would need 4 of each. You would need 3 wiimotes as 1 is included with the system. Odds are anyone playing a gc game will most likely have the controllers. Nor is it likely to find someone or the occurence of a full controller setup. Making use of hardware you buy console is really a person by person thing someone can get full use of a system with only a handfull of games while an hc might need to have in between 20-40 titles to get the same level of subjective. True console manufacturers don't tell the whole cost up front for what it takes for a reasonable multiplayer experience though you can't twist fact thePS3 and 360 are still going cost than Wii at this point.
I dont want to twist anything, I just think that the entry price for a family playing the Wii isnt that low. But I admit at least you already get you basic gaming needs fixed for the $400

quetz67

Banned
Verve said:
you know, there are not only partygames for wii. there are single player games (e.g. zelda) and there are online games (e.g. mario strikers charged), too. although i admit that theres not much variety for the latter at the moment.
I know, but how many people buy a Wii for single/online player only? I sold mine because none of my friends liked the Wii and cared to play with me (at least on a regular basis). And having 4 remotes lying around for a game every few weeks.

I know thats my personal problem, but at least I am one for whom the Wii doesnt have any appeal (right now) and even if it gets it later it wont change the fact of +1 PS3 sales.

nli10

quetz67 said:
I dont want to twist anything, I just think that the entry price for a family playing the Wii isnt that low. But I admit at least you already get you basic gaming needs fixed for the $400

You do know that you can play some of the multiplayer sports games and pretty much all of multiplayer Wario with just a single Wiimote and no nun-chuck right? Pick up Wii play too (which most people do) and you have a £210 price-tag Vs £425 Ps3...

quetz67

Banned
nli10 said:
You do know that you can play some of the multiplayer sports games and pretty much all of multiplayer Wario with just a single Wiimote and no nun-chuck right? Pick up Wii play too (which most people do) and you have a £210 price-tag Vs £425 Ps3...
Oh, I forgot about the nunchucks, I totally assumed they come with the Wiimotes. But yes I know most stuff can be played with one wiimote, but while it makes sense in bowling it doesnt make sense in tennis (just as an example)...if we are talking multiplayer, playing Wii Sports in single player got boring after about an hour for me

quetz67

Banned
Starchasing said:
It is awesome how denial works.
Its awesome how 6 month of sales are not only a hint on a complete 180° turn in console sales, but how these 6 month are like a certain fact for such a change...whoever of you hasnt invested in Nintendo stocks yet must be stupid, you cant loose

LM4sure

Banned
Nintendo kicking Sony's ass. I never thought that would happen. PS3 is down the shitter. Wii on top. Wow. Nintendo wins. Confirmed!

quetz67 said:
Its awesome how 6 month of sales are not only a hint on a complete 180° turn in console sales, but how these 6 month are like a certain fact for such a change...whoever of you hasnt invested in Nintendo stocks yet must be stupid, you cant loose

Do you like being the center of attention?.... I was not talking about you

Cdammen

mBuoDcQJF.gif

quetz67

Banned
Starchasing said:
Do you like being the center of attention?.... I was not talking about you
Not sure if I like it, but I am pretty sure I was the center of bashing on this page...so what were you referring too?

quetz67

Banned
rikitikitik said:
Funny. And here I thought you sold your Wii and had four Wiimotes.
No I had a Wii and one remote, I said I sold it because I didnt want to get 4 Wiimotes just to be able to play it multiplayer once every few weeks...get one again when more games come out that I want to play in single-player

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
AniHawk said:

I don't know why, but I didn't find that at all funny until I read "meh" then I laughed, :lol

Quetz, I can now see why you earned your tag, I would stop now if you enjoy your posting privileges.

Ramenman

Looks like I'm turning myself into Captain Obvious for this thread.

About the "Eye Toy will sell PS3 to casuals". Well, if one wants to play a game with Eyetoy, he will have to pay the PS3 (you know, five hundred ninety nine us dollars and stuff) + the Eye + The game to play with the Eye. You go above the 700 very fast.
With Wii you have the console + the "peripheral" + the game for 250$.

The "BUT U NEED 3 MORE WEEMOTES TO MAKE FULL USE OF IT" argument is also funny, since to make "full use" of your PS3 you need a complete HD set (+ cables amirite ?).

Now I'll go back in watching mode with some popcronz.

nli10

quetz67 said:
Oh, I forgot about the nunchucks, I totally assumed they come with the Wiimotes. But yes I know most stuff can be played with one wiimote, but while it makes sense in bowling it doesnt make sense in tennis (just as an example)...if we are talking multiplayer, playing Wii Sports in single player got boring after about an hour for me

I'm still playing it and I got my Wii on launch. Mostly 2 player, mostly tennis or bowling. Guessing you didn't manage to go through all the training modes, and wii fitness in an hour though. You can do the training in multiplayer.

As I got 2 Wiimote (with Play) and an extra nun-chuck at launch i've never had to suffer from a controller shortage. most games work best in 2 player simultaneous (take baseball for example - more players but still 2 wiimote).

As an interesting anecdotal aside I have some lapsed gamer relatives with Wii, and far from GTA and Halo etc. being a selling point they pointed out that they didn't want a machine that could play the (18) rated games and had the family games instead. (I haven't decided whether to show them Manhunt II when I get it... :D)

We know that the PS3 will sell to the gamer crowd when they can actually afford it (the main reason for all the price drop talk is that a lot of people that want it just can't justify the price for something with so few games, especially with no HD TV), but there's a whole new crowd in town too. PS3 just plain can't sell to my aunt and others like her at £425. £299 with singstar, eye toy etc. in 2 years time is a much more likely proposition - especially now the Wii has made gaming acceptable in their house.

The thing is i'd lay odds that the next Nintendo home console is for Xmas 2010, and there is likely to be a portable unit even before that.

quetz67

Banned
I dont think it makes much sense to discuss the Wii and how many Wiimotes you need and how much fun it is. It wasnt for me, so I sold it. I never denied it being fun for many and never said it will go down the drain.

The eyetoy alone at a PS3 price of $600 will never open the PS3 to the mass market, that is obvious, yes. To say the PS3 will be dead before it reaches mass market is just stupid IMO.

But it is worthless to dicuss with a bunch of Nintendo fanboys riding on a wave of high Wii sales who lost the perspective about everything else existing in the gaming universe.

Probably I feel foolish in a few years, but thats better than having played games that dont have any appeal to me instead of playing the games that push the boundaries and are worth to be excited about, even if in the worst case I will have to play them on PC (or even the 360)

goodbye for now

Taurus

quetz67 said:
I dont think it makes much sense to discuss the Wii and how many Wiimotes you need and how much fun it is. It wasnt for me, so I sold it. I never denied it being fun for many and never said it will go down the drain.

The eyetoy alone at a PS3 price of $600 will never open the PS3 to the mass market, that is obvious, yes. To say the PS3 will be dead before it reaches mass market is just stupid IMO.

But it is worthless to dicuss with a bunch of Nintendo fanboys riding on a wave of high Wii sales who lost the perspective about everything else existing in the gaming universe.

Probably I feel foolish in a few years, but thats better than having played games that dont have any appeal to me instead of playing the games that push the boundaries and are worth to be excited about, even if in the worst case I will have to play them on PC (or even the 360)

goodbye for now
Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

quetz67 said:

goodbye for now

/thread

:`(

quetz67 said:

goodbye for now
SRT1.jpg

CorwinB

quetz67 said:

Since it's PA-day at GAF :

20030825h.gif

Jokeropia

I wonder how poorly the PS3 would have to sell for quetz not to believe that everything is A-OK. From what it sounds like, it could sell a third of what it does now (totaling ~70,000 a month worldwide) and he would still insist that a complete turnaround is right around the corner.

quetz67 said:
I know, but how many people buy a Wii for single/online player only? I sold mine because none of my friends liked the Wii and cared to play with me (at least on a regular basis). And having 4 remotes lying around for a game every few weeks.

I know thats my personal problem, but at least I am one for whom the Wii doesnt have any appeal (right now) and even if it gets it later it wont change the fact of +1 PS3 sales.

quetz67 a few minutes later said:
I had a Wii and one remote, I said I sold it because I didnt want to get 4 Wiimotes just to be able to play it multiplayer once every few weeks...get one again when more games come out that I want to play in single-player.

Hmm... are you sure they were your friends and remotes? Are you sure they weren´t... nothing?

Quetz is a freaking lunatic. At least we know gahiggidy is a sock puppet. Quetz might be real for all we know. A real person holding a real job making real decisions. That's scarier than the Ring to me.

Top Bottom