• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

Xeke

Banned
Roders5 said:
Well lets face it, it was up against the stingray who never really recovered from killing steve and jesus the shark

Not to mention that the stingray's high point was in 2006.

Stingray's never really stood against the pure capacity of blu-ray.

Kosma

Banned
Just been on the IGN boards and it's funny to see how the reactions on NPD are split between the boards there.

WiiGB - 8 pages of circle jerking
360GB - 3 pages of no one cares
PS3 - 17 pages of war and trolling

Guess 360 owners are busy playing games or something crazy like that :)

Evlar

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Just been on the IGN boards and it's funny to see how the reactions on NPD are split between the boards there.

Haven't looked, but sounds to me like they're trolling the PS3.

monkeyrun

oo Kosma oo said:

Wii = 8 pages
360 + PS3 = 20 pages = 10 pages each

:lol

yeah 360 and ps3 owners are both very busy today.

monkeyrun said:
Wii = 8 pages
360 + PS3 = 20 pages = 10 pages each

:lol

yeah 360 and ps3 owners are both very busy today.

I remember back when the GCNGB was the busiest of the 3 consoles last gen. I'm not sure how I managed to stick around there for so long.

I see quite a few ppl have migrated from there to here. :D

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Mike Works said:
most ironic statement of the thread?
:lol Classic!

Odysseus said:
leave the ign boards on the ign boards

in fact, let us never acknowledge the existence of any forums outside of this one
But then how will we mock stupid threads by comparing them to those found on other forums?

Odysseus

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
:lol Classic!

But then how will we mock stupid threads by comparing them to those found on other forums?

when i see people talking about other forums, i assume those other forums are where those people came from, and then i yearn for those people to return to those other forums. and then i realize they won't, which brings me pain. ergo, people speaking of other forums is a bad thing.

that, and the ign forums really suck.

Forgotten Ancient said:
I remember back when the GCNGB was the busiest of the 3 consoles last gen. I'm not sure how I managed to stick around there for so long.

I see quite a few ppl have migrated from there to here. :D

I'm one of them. Same screen name and everything :D

Personally, while us here at NeoGAF have our juvenile moments, the IGN Boards simply became too sophomoric and basic after a while. I fell out of love. Plus, the humor here is far superior to that board. I'm happy where I am now. :)

Pachael said:
First to 10 million wins?

But Wii won't be first, Xbox 360 will (we're talking worldwide, right?) And first isn't always the leader in the end. Afterall, we're about to witness Wii overtaking Xbox 360 as worldwide next/new-gen console leader and the 360 was first out of the gate.

I can't f***ing believe Mario Party 8 is in the top ten, that game is utter trash.

5zftpnk.gif

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
haunts said:

There are some good games coming out for the PS3 if you ask me.
Yeah, but will they be profitable?

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
legend166 said:
Mario Party is a hit with anyone who has 3 friends that aren't 'omg minigame sucks' posters from gaf.

The minigames aren't the problem with the exception of Mario Party 2&3 where you're required to smash buttons for over half of them.

Jammy

Banned
ALL those Mario Party 8 sales may not be deserved, but I've sure played it quite a bit since its release. Now that I'm home from college there's been a few nights where I've just done nothing but break out Mario Party 8 at 11 at night with a few friends.

I'd have to say there's been at least five 20 Round competitions we've done over those nights, and I've managed to unlock Blooper and other items via single player (not all that great).

I think it will only be better when I go back up to college actually. :lol

quetz67

Banned
legend166 said:
By the time the PS3 hits $200, it will be all over. Going by $100 a year price drops:

2007 - $500
2008 - $400
2009 - $300
2010 - $200

It will be dead and buried by then.
Wow, what a really detailed business analysis with lots of though and research put into it considering about any fact known and offering a most convincing look into the future.

The most striking fact is that like the PS2 showed there are obviously no console sales before a price drop to $199

C4Lukins

quetz67 said:
Wow, what a really detailed business analysis with lots of though and research put into it considering about any fact known and offering a most convincing look into the future.

The most striking fact is that like the PS2 showed there are obviously no console sales before a price drop to $199

It is a legitimate point. By the time the PS3 is able to reach below that 200 dollar mark, the point where the PS2 saw the vast portion of their sales, it will be pretty close to Next Gen time again. It will at least be withen a year of the time period where Nintendo and Microsoft are announcing their next systems.

If you look at Nintendo, they could probably price the Wii at 200 today and still make a profit. The Core 360 is probably less then a year from being able to do that.

oo Kosma oo said:

Yeaah....Xbox fanboys are the best of the three...no. Nintendo fanboys have got more than enough reason the circle jerk about the sales, and Playstation fanboys have got enough reason to feel threatened by the bad sales, feel insulted by every comment about their console and go into defence mode. The Xbox fanboys better not talk too much, since the numbers aren't all that great, but they don't feel threatened enough to freak out like some Sony fanboys.

Talking bout fanboys here, not fans of course. Just wanted to comment since your post puts Xbox fanboys on a pedestal, while they're all equally bad.

quetz67

Banned
C4Lukins said:
It is a legitimate point. By the time the PS3 is able to reach below that 200 dollar mark, the point where the PS2 saw the vast portion of their sales, it will be pretty close to Next Gen time again. It will at least be withen a year of the time period where Nintendo and Microsoft are announcing their next systems.

If you look at Nintendo, they could probably price the Wii at 200 today and still make a profit. The Core 360 is probably less then a year from being able to do that.
The vast portion of sales were at <200 because it was the vast portion of time. doesnt mean it didnt sell before that (it would have even sold great for some years, just that it wouldnt have destroyed the xbox that completely)

And nobody knows when next gen systems are announced and released, dont get fooled by the xbox only lasting 4 years. And even with the 360 around the PS2 didnt stop selling, actually it again beat the 360 in NA, not to talk of other territories.

Dont underestimate sales late in a console's life, and dont think the PS3 wont make it til then. If the Playstation brand was dead already like many seem to assume, why are overall PS sales still close to 500K (and dont tell me Nintendo does a lot better, we all can see that)

Nintendo is on the run and going against a trend of slowing sales in the summer month, while the other consoles show the typical slowdowns. PS3 sales worse than expected? Yes! Will that be fatal for PS3 in the long run? No!

milanbaros

Member?
quetz67 said:

Out of curiosity, what do you expect the PS3 to sell over the next 4 and a half years? Do you consider that a success for Sony? I don't mean a success considering the price, because the price was their decision, nobody elses. Its their problem it costs that much.

quetz67

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
oh shit i just busted out laughing and crying at the same time..

The last 2 panes got me :lol

The bonus stars are whack
I dont understand the fuzz about Mario Party, only because now with a huge userbase it even gets more sales than some of the earlier ones. Stupid games for different systems keep ruling the sales charts like forever.

milanbaros

Member?
quetz67 said:
I dont understand the fuzz about Mario Party, only because now with a huge userbase it even gets more sales than some of the earlier ones. Stupid games for different systems keep ruling the sales charts like forever.

I think every single Mario Party bar number 4, were released on a system with a larger userbase than the Wii.

Tf53

quetz67 said:
Ummm... what?

quetz67

Banned
milanbaros said:
Out of curiosity, what do you expect the PS3 to sell over the next 4 and a half years? Do you consider that a success for Sony? I don't mean a success considering the price, because the price was their decision, nobody elses. Its their problem it costs that much.
I cant see in the future, but I expect it to do a little worse than the PS1 and PS2. The competition get a little stronger every gen, but then the market is expanding. Next four and a half years maybe 50-60M with more to come in the 3 years after that.

Considering that a success for Sony? Yes and no, a real success would be if they sell more than the last gens and make more money. That will be hard with lot higher per system losses and high R&D costs, but then the next gen will be more about selling other stuff then just games.

quetz67

Banned
milanbaros said:
I think every single Mario Party bar number 4, were released on a system with a larger userbase than the Wii.
userbase compared to GC at that time. games early in a consoles can still sell better than those later because of the userbase/# of games available ratio. Having a 20M userbase doesnt automatically mean games sell better than with 5M userbase (especially when the 5M system is hyped a lot and gets much playtime and many of the 20M just collect dust and the said games is like the 3rd sequel to the series on that system already)

Many Wii buyers are obviously former non Nintendo buyers (or the Wii will suddenly stop selling at some 20M units) and this is the first Mario Party for many and it fits the Wii perfectly, so why shouldnt it sell like crazy?

milanbaros

Member?
quetz67 said:
userbase compared to GC at that time. games early in a consoles can still sell better than those later because of the userbase/# of games available ratio. Having a 20M userbase doesnt automatically mean games sell better than with 5M userbase (especially when the 5M system is hyped a lot and gets much playtime and many of the 20M just collect dust and the said games is like the 5th sequel on that system)

It was compared to the userbase at the time. Thats why I didn't include 4. If I excluded 4 and included the others how does that inmply I used 20m for all of the MPs on the GCN?

You use userbase as an explanation and then justify it later by explaining userbase doesn't matter so much.

The GIANT CRAB from teamxbox is really something...

Wii has nothing remotely close to the hardware pushing power of GTA...let alone Halo 3. Nor does it have a price drop planned.

I reckon Wii Sports will push more Wii systems in the end than both GTA IV and Halo 3 combined for the 360.

quetz67 said:
userbase compared to GC at that time. games early in a consoles can still sell better than those later because of the userbase/# of games available ratio. Having a 20M userbase doesnt automatically mean games sell better than with 5M userbase (especially when the 5M system is hyped a lot and gets much playtime and many of the 20M just collect dust and the said games is like the 3rd sequel to the series on that system already)

Many Wii buyers are obviously former non Nintendo buyers (or the Wii will suddenly stop selling at some 20M units) and this is the first Mario Party for many and it fits the Wii perfectly, so why shouldnt it sell like crazy?

That's an awful convoluted way to try to belittle MP8's success.

The game is pretty decent, by the way.

C4Lukins

titiklabingapat said:
The GIANT CRAB from teamxbox is really something...

I reckon Wii Sports will push more Wii systems in the end than both GTA IV and Halo 3 combined for the 360.

Not to say that you are wrong, but it is not the sort of thing you could ever prove.

LCGeek

formerly sane
C4Lukins said:
Not to say that you are wrong, but it is not the sort of thing you could ever prove.

Wait a few years and if the site's still around I'm sure a sales topic could easily resolve that.

C4Lukins

Hatorade said:
Wait a few years and if the site's still around I'm sure a sales topic could easily resolve that.

How? The Wii could sell 5 billion units and you could not possibly prove that Wii Sports was the reason for it.

Top Bottom