• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Faustek

Hope so. I really liked TR:DE. I'm still a bit worried because it's published by Microsoft.

A lot has been published by MS. Every *indie* game was basically published by MS.

I know this doesn't mean anything but perhaps it can add a bit of hope for you...and for me as TR is something I play on PC, on my couch ^^

Opiate

Just the things I don't agree with.

I usually just shake my head when anyone comes in with the line "listens to it's consumers". It's a false equivalence. If the company is good they will show such an outward appearance yes but only when it will benefit the investor.

The Tomb Raider deal is a thing we really can't say anything about, that is if someone doesn't want to share the sales % from the last one and perhaps SE tells us about the situation on PC. PC players can be really loud even though we are used to wait, I think the initial comment really irked many who are really loud and negative. It's like adding to the pile of crap MS first sat atop of but people are stupid and have a short memory so just perhaps this will not be such a big stinker and perhaps Halo 5 and QB will still leave room for TR else I don't see it ending all that well for SE's CD over here.

But for the rest? It's strange to agree with Kuchera. I find myself on that side of the fence now, not fully but I have taken a step and I am scratching my balls deciding if I should take another step or not.

Has it now? I fail to see that. All I see is tons of the same thing. On occasion I see something different but then I see tons more on the PC side.
EDIT: I should add that those good browser games I have found also, nearly, always have a torrent/dropbox link for those that prefer a local host.
Shameless *plug* Cross Code was really good. Did not expect this quality at all from a *browser* game.

Perhaps just a difference in usage? For to be honest I don't give mobile to much of my time whereas outside of Steam I can dedicate the time to just browse different forums.

If you note, I'm specifically discussing hardware innovation.

A lot has been published by MS. Every *indie* game was basically published by MS.

I know this doesn't mean anything but perhaps it can add a bit of hope for you...and for me as TR is something I play on PC, on my couch ^^

Yeah, true. We'll probably hear about this in January.

StevieP

Banned
I don't know about the specifics of the scenario above, but it's not a stretch to suggest that family markets fall later in the adoption curve for console products.

I'm sure the family/non-young-male market will show up eventually to these consoles to pick up call of duty, assassins creed, call of duty, uncharted, assassins creed, forza, call of duty, last of us 2, assassins creed, halo, knack 2, call of duty and call of duty. They're just waiting for the hardware prices to drop to pick all those up.

Faustek

If you note, I'm specifically discussing hardware innovation.

I did not. My bad.

But then I ask, what hardware innovation? What have I missed?
Are you talking about things like turf wars? Using the GPS to overtake a map and lose some weight at the same time?

I'm not really sure why you feel the need to contest the idea that more price sensitive demo-/psychographic markets are typically late or laggard adopters of technology products with a strawman about what complementary goods those segments would buy said products for based on what's selling well to a completely different segment.

What market does remain will not be buying for COD obviously, they'll be buying for titles aimed at those segments. What market does remain may be insubstantial. But determination of what market does remain now 13 months into these systems isn't sound given typical adoption patterns.

Unless MS get 2 million sales in December, no way.
They have a reasonable shot at it since December usually has an almost doubling effect on November hardware sales. If you doubt that, you can look at past NPDs. The trend for November doubling October and for December doubling November is pretty strong for popular system assuming good stock availability. There's a reason the marketing machine starts around that time and discounts are deeper to entice more buyers into the arena since the last two months of the calendar year usually always end up making up more than fifty percent of all hardware and software sales for the entire year, dwarfing all preceding ten months.

StevieP

Banned
I'm not really sure why you feel the need to contest the idea that more price sensitive demo-/psychographic markets are typically late or laggard adopters of technology products with a strawman about what complementary goods those segments would buy said products for based on what's selling well to a completely different segment.

There is a quote button you know :)
The family/non-young-male demos are indeed price sensitive and history has certainly shown that. I agree with that.

The issue, as Opiate has repeatedly mentioned, is that the software focus of the majority of publishers isn't going to attract those kinds of demographics. Less software that costs more money to make, with less risk taking and more homogenization (and monetization) and yearly sequelization isn't going to be bringing the family market into play. Many of the studios that were making that kind of software on consoles are doing it elsewhere or have been reassigned. What was once ps2 or wii shovelware is now on game platforms that sell outside of the young male demos. Id say that even with lower priced hardware and late adoption the shelves are pretty bare for these kinds of consumers and will likely continue to be for most or all of this generation.

Now maybe I'm wrong and Activision will assign never soft to make something else 2 years from now. But that there is a narrower software focus from all major publishers (and less of it, and more expensive, and lower risk) this generation isn't really disputable even after only a year or two into it.

Jigorath

Banned
I wonder when Activision will have the balls to make Call of Duty next gen exclusive? That'll push a lot of consoles in the holidays.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Next year is going to be so interesting. If you ask me, Microsoft will inevitably release Xbox One Slim right after E3.

They have already fixed their messaging a lot. next step is definitely a new hardware.

My question is, since I wasn't on GAF during the E3 when Don Mattrick announced Xbox 360 Slim, was it a surprised? or it was leaked prior to the event?

Did Sony end up selling out of their BF bundles?

Of course they did. But not as fast as Xbox one cleared.

I'm on a phone and yours was the last post at the time I began that and this post. It may not be now...

Anyway, I don't dispute there's been consolidation. That's occured in core and casual segments. The toys to life segment is the major investment by publishers in the family/kid market right now. From memory, Sony has specified demographic expansion as a focus in 2015.

And again I doubt all the market can be retained or regained. Mobile is too pervasive. But the full picture on what remains, remains to be seen.

Opiate

What market does remain will not be buying for COD obviously, they'll be buying for titles aimed at those segments. What market does remain may be insubstantial. But determination of what market does remain now 13 months into these systems isn't sound given typical adoption patterns.

When were these historical adoption patterns? They weren't the adoption patterns last generation; families/women/etc. bought in early. It isn't the adoption pattern with mobile units, either.

QaaQer

It's illegal to seek growth through acquisition?

ee.

No. However, buying up a bunch of suppliers and predatory pricing is. But as and v Intel showed, it can work nicely.

I'm not saying ms is or isn't doing that, just that their are reasons why ms hasn't dumped 5 or 6 billion in price subsidies and purchased ea and Activision in order to kill PlayStation and Nintendo.

When were these historical adoption patterns? They weren't the adoption patterns last generation; families/women/etc. bought in early. It isn't the adoption pattern with mobile units, either.
Yes, they did, with the Wii, sure. I don't feel the need to rehash a discussion we've had before about the ways in which the system differed from typicality in terms of demographic profiles and innovation diffusion in the console sector. The 360 and PS3 followed more typical adoption patterns for the console segment, with relative importance of different value drivers changing over time.

Also, I'm curious in how you'd describe the adoption of mobile either at a new model level or on a broader market level as following an adoption pattern where "families and women" and/or more price sensitive segments constitute the early adopter set, as opposed to technology enthusiasts/high end shoppers. Like where the first in line at the Apple store for the iPhone 6 is a lower/middle income mother of two, with little interest in technology, limited disposable income and low brand loyalty.

QaaQer

Yes, they did, with the Wii, sure. I don't feel the need to rehash a discussion we've had before about the ways in which the system differed from typicality in terms of demographic profiles and innovation diffusion in the console sector.

Also, I'm curious in how you'd describe the adoption of mobile either at a new model level or on a broader market level as following an adoption pattern where "families and women" and/or more price sensitive segments constitute the early adopter set, as opposed to technology enthusiasts/high end shoppers. Like where the first in line at the Apple store for the iPhone 6 is a lower/middle income mother of two, with little interest in technology and low brand loyalty.

Women will spend money if there is utillity in something. A device that can bring them closer to family and friends has potent utility. Same applies to consoles.

Welfare

They have a reasonable shot at it since December usually has an almost doubling effect on November hardware sales. If you doubt that, you can look at past NPDs. The trend for November doubling October and for December doubling November is pretty strong for popular system assuming good stock availability. There's a reason the marketing machine starts around that time and discounts are deeper to entice more buyers into the arena since the last two months of the calendar year usually always end up making up more than fifty percent of all hardware and software sales for the entire year, dwarfing all preceding ten months.
Doing 2 million or close to it would be Peak 360 and Wii level performance. I don't see it happening on the Xbox Ones second December at $350. Also the doubling effect from November to December has gone down since the beginning of the 7th generation.

How many of the 1200k xboxes sold was the cod, sso, and kinect bundles? Would these have offset some of the losses if there were any?

No one can know that answer without privileged and proprietary information on the contracts and costs involved. Besides, the upfront loss or profit isn't the issue when it's simply a value proposition that gets a consumer to buy into an ecosystem. They count on them to get a Live Gold subscription card, a pre-paid Live credit code, and a game and/or controller and other accessories to make a profit from. They usually calculate these kinds of purchase possibilities with the season and what you need to go with it to make up losses on the boxed package itself. I believe the usual expectation is that one game purchase in addition to the system means break-even, in general. Include a download code for a digital game, and you get them introduced to the Xbox store and possible digital purchases right off the bat. Include a multiplayer game, and you raise the chance that they'll buy a Gold sub to play multiplayer. It's not the console box and package that makes money, it's all the purchases around it. Razors and blades. Same goes for anyone seeking to make money in the console arena.

Doing 2 million or close to it would be Peak 360 and Wii level performance. I don't see it happening on the Xbox Ones second December at $350. Also the doubling effect from November to December has gone down since the beginning of the 7th generation.
No one expected last year's next-gen consoles sales numbers to be so high, just like this year's are above expectations, way above expectations. It's not a crazy possibility considering the heights we're already seeing for hardware numbers this early.

Opiate

Yes, they did, with the Wii, sure. I don't feel the need to rehash a discussion we've had before about the ways in which the system differed from typicality in terms of demographic profiles and innovation diffusion in the console sector.

Also, I'm curious in how you'd describe the adoption of mobile either at a new model level or on a broader market level as following an adoption pattern where families and women constitute the early adopter set.

If you look at Apple's demographic, women and children often buy very early (As in within 3 months of the release of a new phone). They aren't exclusive early adopters, of course, but they aren't an enormous minority the way they are with, say, a new Xbox.

I think this entire discussion is a rehash: yes, the PS2 got casual consumers late, but things have changed enormously in the decade since then. At that time, consoles faced no real competition; iOS didn't exist, Facebook didn't exist, Android didn't exist, PC was still a far more "Core" oriented place without all the casual portals it has today.

The PS2 could afford to treat these demographics as second class citizens because competition was virtually non-existent. In the modern landscape, you can't reasonably expect to win these demographics to any large degree unless you're actually designing your platform around them as primary customers, which the PS4 has decidedly not done.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Did Aqua post LTD for Wii U as she did for PS4 and Xbone? I have 3.08 million.

Still holding out for Wii and PS3 sales. I'm guessing Vita LTD is over 2 mil now.

RowdyReverb

I wonder when Activision will have the balls to make Call of Duty next gen exclusive? That'll push a lot of consoles in the holidays.

I'm curious about this. I wonder if they're casual enough to follow the annual sports game strategy of supporting last gen for years to come. No joke, I know 40-year-old parents who play CoD from time to time on their kids' 360 who would be disappointed if it were next gen only.

If you look at Apple's demographic, women and children often buy very early (As in within 3 months of the release of a new phone). They aren't exclusive early adopters, of course, but they aren't an enormous minority the way they are with, say, a new Xbox.

I think this entire discussion is a rehash: yes, the PS2 got casual consumers late, but things have changed enormously in the decade since then. At that time, consoles faced no real competition; iOS didn't exist, Facebook didn't exist, Android didn't exist, PC was still a far more "Core" oriented place without all the casual portals it has today.

The PS2 could afford to treat these demographics as second class citizens because competition was virtually non-existent. In the modern landscape, you can't reasonably expect to win these demographics to any large degree unless you're actually designing your platform around them as primary customers, which the PS4 has decidedly not done.
I think value propositions can be modified and repositioned. Different value drivers can be emphasised/reweighted/augmented given adequate investment in doing so.

It's not about first and second class citizens, it's about practicalities, significance in terms of size and spending, prioritization, strategic importance. Trying to target disparate segments simultaneously (and failing) results in a Wii U, and the improvement in the systems fortunes, moderate as they may be have been the result of repositioning and focus (although not to an adequate extent) towards the market with which they have strengths.

If you want to refer solely to last generation, then such circumstance occurred for the 360 in the US market, and the PS3 in the European markets. Neither the $400 nor $600 system was designed towards the family consumer as the primary market, the propositions were modified over the course of the cycle. The PS3 wasn't even designed at first instance towards the more mainstream core market.

Even simply looking at the current generation systems, the XBO's proposition has been dramatically altered towards better serving the needs of a target market segment, to positive results, over the course of months.

That isn't to say that such repositioning will definitely work, or that there is necessarily a substantial market waiting in the wings.

I think I've asked before already, but what kind of console product do you even envisage would primarily target high price sensitive consumers first and foremost, and then subsequently still maintain other market segments. Should they have made Ouyas?

Faustek

Isn't the push for the smaller games just not *filler*(as some than less people would say) but also for just that market? Not the intimidation of a AAA game to try and pull in the masses but many small experiences that are for everyone so they can lull them in? Of course the allure if the big and shiny must still be there but the plethora of these small experiences that exist must have another use than just existing.
I have nothing to base this on other than a feeling that it's there to lull the casual market in as much as it is there to make sure we have games to play between the big and shiny.

Has software attachment rates improved or still the same?

Don't they always rise as praxis? Those bundles came with a lot of games and the already established market will buy more games* during these times?

*Buy 2 pay for one and such things.

Opiate

That isn't to say that such repositioning will definitely work, or that there is necessarily a substantial market waiting in the wings.

Yes, I'm saying it won't work. It worked in the past (As in 10+ years ago), because effectively the only alternative for "Casual" gamers was literally to just not play games.

There is a substantial market interested, as the Wii and now iOS and Facebook make clear. You may not call this "treating them as second class citizens," and that's fine, but the idea is essential; you can't create a product built around and focused primarily on "core" consumers, then expect to pull in casual consumers at the end just because the price is cheaper. You could in 2004, but not in 2014.

I think I've asked before already, but what kind of console product do you even envisage would primarily target high price sensitive consumers first and foremost, and then subsequently still maintain other market segments. Should they have made Ouyas?

An Ouya like device might have been plausible if supported robustly. Something which is definitely cheaper, smaller, simpler, and also different. I'm not sure what that difference is, or I'd already be a millionaire.

Opiate

Isn't the push for the smaller games just not *filler*(as some than less people would say) but also for just that market? Not the intimidation of a AAA game to try and pull in the masses but many small experiences that are for everyone so they can lull them in? Of course the allure if the big and shiny must still be there but the plethora of these small experiences that exist must have another use than just existing.
I have nothing to base this on other than a feeling that it's there to lull the casual market in as much as it is there to make sure we have games to play between the big and shiny.

I think it's the best shot they have, definitely. Indie games are the most likely place that consoles have for a breakout hit that taps the casual audience again.

Welfare

No one expected last year's next-gen consoles sales numbers to be so high, just like this year's are above expectations, way above expectations. It's not a crazy possibility considering the heights we're already seeing for hardware numbers this early.
Xbox One was below my expectations this November ;)

It would be amazing to see people pick up the next gen consoles that fast, but still. I don't think 2 million will happen this december.

But if it does that would be very telling on the fact that price trumps anything else.

Was I an unwitting participant in a sting operation?

I think it's the best shot they have, definitely. Indie games are the most likely place that consoles have for a breakout hit that taps the casual audience again.

The breakout of Minecraft really shows that grabbing a casual audience doesn't need the R+D of a new peripheral or totally new system. I really believe there will be more hits from small developers who are able to produce titles without having a core demographic to appease.

but the idea is essential; you can't create a product built around and focused primarily on "core" consumers, then expect to pull in casual consumers at the end just because the price is cheaper a concerted effort and investment is made in repositioning the product. You could in 2004, but not in 2014.
You could in 2010 though. For the last 3 years of the 7th generation, the 360 transitioned towards market leadership through a broadening of its tent.

2014 is obviously not 2010 either. But you seem to be ignoring a more recent example of successful repositioning as a cycle progresses.

Also, I don't think simply lowering the price is a sufficient repositioning now, but nor was it in 2004 or 2010 or 1994 or any year in between.

On your other point, I don't really know where exactly the take-away has been that these segments want "different" for the sake of different. Accessible, yes, in all myriad meaning of the word.
(I don't know where smaller comes into it at all, as I don't really see how the size of these devices is a limiting factor right now in their market penetration.)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Did Aqua post LTD for Wii U as she did for PS4 and Xbone? I have 3.08 million.

Still holding out for Wii and PS3 sales. I'm guessing Vita LTD is over 2 mil now.
I would venture to say that your Wii U figure is very good.

Using 2 million for PSV would also be a very reasonable approximation, again in my opinion.

It doesn't seem like it so far. Consoles have lost a significant portion of the pull they had with women, young children, and older adults (a group colloquially referred to as "families.")

It doesn't mean it's impossible to get them back, but this is really what we're talking about when we talk about market contraction for consoles. The console market is doing more than fine with 16-35 males; it's doing less well with most other demographics, relative to how it did last generation.
I wonder then if cheaper prices would work, or if it's...down to the software.

I'm quesy on that last front, b/c it's borderline stereotyping imho. I've known plenty of girls that are into GTA and COD and guys who go hard into stuff like Just Dance or Animal Crossing for example. I would say more variety in themes and genres would be nice but that's something that'd take a long time to correct :S

Just because Microsoft could do something doesn't mean that they will especially if there's no incentive to do it. They could probably win every single generation and drive Sony and Nintendo out of business if they were aggressive enough with their money and yet they don't.

I think people are letting the warzzz and emotions get in the way of the facts of how corporations operate.
Yep. And it's not even just that; plain truth is not everyone wants Microsoft's money in that way.

For example just look at the SF5 deal; I strongly doubt Ono'd of gone over to MS even if they offered twice or three times the money Sony did.

Some folks can believe it or not, but not everyone in the industry makes their decisions purely about the money.

EDIT: I should add that those good browser games I have found also, nearly, always have a torrent/dropbox link for those that prefer a local host.
Shameless *plug* Cross Code was really good. Did not expect this quality at all from a *browser* game.
Holy crap! This game looks amazing. Gonna fire it up in Chrome. That music alone is awesome.

Faustek

Isn't this supposed to be coming to WiiU? I think their inclusion of HTML5 based games is a good thing.

Can not say for sure but according to posters on neoseeker it was a possibility the developer was hoping for. Nothing substantial yet but I'm waiting for the Kickstarter and there we will see what they are planning for.

creamsugar

LTD SW in $

1st Party:
NWU ~ 50%
XBO ~ 28%
PS4 ~ 22%

3rd Party:
XBO ~ 42%
PS4 ~ 47%
NWU ~ 11%

Grand total:
PS4 ~ 41%
XBO ~ 38%
NWU ~ 21%

donny2112

The DS argument is infallible because it completely blew past what Gameboy Advance sold.

GBA sold 66m by the quarter that DS came out, and that was after 3 yrs, 9 mos. NDS after 3 yrs, 5 mos was about 71m, for comparison (using Nintendo's FY spreadsheet).

Total units, NDS was way above GBA, yes, but the GBA was a beast in sales itself for the short time it was available before its successor came out.

Edit:
LTD SW in $

Can you give the total 1st:3rd LTD SW in $ ratio, too? I think with that, we should be able to figure out individual system 1st:3rd SW $ ratio, then.

Top Bottom