• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Does anyone actually think XBO will sell less in December than in November?

It would be unusual if it sales were to decline in December.

Since 2007 this has only happened twice (excluding PS4/Xone last year for obvious reasons).

In 2012 PS3 sales fell from Nov to Dec, also happened to the PS3 last year.

This November was a special case due to the heavy promotion, so who knows. But it would be unusual, historically, for sales of Xone to fall from Nov to Dec.

Well, Amazon chart for December (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_2?ie=UTF8&pg=2#1).

Shows that Xbox One is at #1 and PS4 at #38. If this gives any indication, then we are going to see huge lead for the Xbox One in December for sure.

That's why I'm asking. Really surprised at the surge of interest for the Xbox console. Great prices and bundles, but it really seemed like the public wasn't interested for a while there.

So MS won November by 400k and the trend looks like it will be similar if not worse for December.

That's why I'm asking. Really surprised at the surge of interest for the Xbox console. Great prices and bundles, but it really seemed like the public wasn't interested for a while there.

So MS won November by 400k and the trend looks like it will be similar if not worse for December.

I'd bet you're also seeing a lot of PS4 and/or Wii U owners jumping on board with the XB1 now with the great pricing. I've owned both other consoles since last fall and the Sunset Overdrive bundle combined with the drop to $350 and the continued $100 XBOX 360 Trade-In program at the MS store was enough to get me to buy the XB1. I'm sure that there are plenty of other gamers there who just bought the XB1 as their second or third next-gen console this year as well!

blakep267

Ehh you have to remember that on average the ps4 was selling 95k more for those first 10 months. So it wasn't as if there were many landslide months( besides September and May)

No interest is Germany and Japan

I don't know why people keep putting up this idea of Microsoft buying all their studios.

Turn 10 - built by Microsoft.
343 Studios - built by Microsoft
Black Tusk Studios - built by Microsoft.
Mojang - bought by Microsoft.
Rare - bought by Microsoft.
Lion head Studios - bought by Microsoft.
Insomniac - not owned by Microsoft.
Crystal Dynamics - not owned by Microsoft.
Crytek - not owned by Microsoft.
Iron Galaxy - not owned by Microsoft.
Double Helix Studios - not owned by Microsoft.
Playground Games - not owned by Microsoft.
Capcom Vancouver - not owned by Microsoft.
Cloudgine - not owned by Microsoft.
Remedy Entertainment - not owned by Microsoft.

These are all studios that have released exclusives or announced them for Xbox One.

The studios that were bought by Microsoft happened way back except for Mojang which currently has a supported game on every platform except for Nintendo.

By your list MS had built 3 studios over almost 14 years so you're just proving the point of "MS doesn't foster studios or first parties they just throw money at them" idea.

FrankT

Has 360 passed Wii yet? Got to be darn close if not. Still for the life of me cannot understand why they have kept this price for so long.

Osahi

Can we list the number of Sony in-house developers by comparison?

Santa Monica only comes to mind.

Santa monica
Guerrilla
Polyphony
San Diego
Naughty Dog
Media Molecule
Sony Japan Studio
Quantic Dream
Evolution
EDIT; Bend

From the top of my head. Not sure about qd being 1st or 2nd party

I don't know why people keep putting up this idea of Microsoft buying all their studios.

These are all studios that have released exclusives or announced them for Xbox One.

The studios that were bought by Microsoft happened way back except for Mojang which currently has a supported game on every platform except for Nintendo.

it was never buying studios. the problem lies with not owning many studios, and the ones they did own were not allowed artistic freedom to make what they wanted.

the start of the 360 generation was great in comparison to the latter few years where MS relied too heavily on 3-4 IP's. they should have grew many more studios and IP's by the end of that console cycle. if that happened, MS wouldn't have had to go out and court so many third party publishers/studios/IP's they didn't own to fill out an exclusive lineup for XB1. now, many of those exclusive games are making there way to other platforms.

FordGTGuy

Banned
By your list MS had built 3 studios over almost 14 years so you're just proving the point of "MS doesn't foster studios or first parties they just throw money at them" idea.

The point is that Microsoft doesn't just run around buying studios and forcing IP ownership like the guy was claiming.

Also this is a small portion of the studios they've built, these are just the ones with announced titles or building them.

You guys say these things as though they're exclusive to Microsoft. They aren't.

I was referring to Bungie not being allowed to make what they wanted, it resulted in them wanting independence. Black Tusk also had to move off an in-house idea in favor of making another Gears.

I was referring to Bungie not being allowed to make what they wanted, it resulted in them wanting independence. Black Tusk also had to move off an in-house idea in favor of making another Gears.

Bungie were given the chance to make a new IP after Halo 1 and proved themselves incapable of doing so whilst making Halo 2 at the same time. After that anything MS wanted to do was too late at that point. I cant say I blame MS either considering how important Halo was to Xbox division in general.

Also, I dont know if its new or not but Bungie cancelled another new IP in development from 2011-12, seems they have proven themselves to be a 1 series at a time studio

Opiate

You could in 2010 though. For the last 3 years of the 7th generation, the 360 transitioned towards market leadership through a broadening of its tent.

Yes, it's definitely possible if you're willing to put 500M towards a major new peripheral and gear large new games towards it. I don't think that's impossible, but it's getting considerably more difficult (and expensive).

2014 is obviously not 2010 either. But you seem to be ignoring a more recent example of successful repositioning as a cycle progresses.

I'm not ignoring it, but that was super expensive. It isn't like Microsoft just sort of shipped it out there.

On your other point, I don't really know where exactly the take-away has been that these segments want "different" for the sake of different. Accessible, yes, in all myriad meaning of the word.
(I don't know where smaller comes into it at all, as I don't really see how the size of these devices is a limiting factor right now in their market penetration.)

I definitely agree, just being different isn't good enough. The Wii U is different, and clearly is not popular. Another way to phrase my point is this: "I'm not sure what casual consumers want, but clearly a traditional console with a traditional game pad playing traditional games is not it. They want something else, I just don't know what that else is."

QaaQer

Yes, it's definitely possible if you're willing to put 500M towards a major new peripheral and gear large new games towards it. I don't think that's impossible, but it's getting considerably more difficult (and expensive).

I don't know how much more work kinect requires in r&d, hasn't all the heavy lifting been done?

Kinect was amazing for kids, esp for birthday parties. I really thought ms was going to bifurcate their strategy, kinect forcused kids games and shoot/stab mature controller games. But the release titles were just sad wrt to kid titles. I still do not understand why they dropped support instead of making a regular stream of jumping-around kids games and cultivating that audience.

I'm seriously wondering if it'll still be manufactured in 2 years, but I guess it has a better chance than the Vita.

PSP was still manufactured this year and actually outlived DS. That should tell you how long Sony keeps its systems in production. PS3 has still live in it in Europe and developing countries.

I think I need to step back for a couple of months, maybe three to get a sense of what is to come with both these consoles.

On the one hand with such a massive lead for November, it truly looks like Microsoft are going to be a serious obstacle for Sony and that they might even retake the lead in the US and UK if they continue being this agressive.

On the other hand, this effect could prove to be temporary (holiday season being an catalyst that will end soon) with Sony regaining their momentum with a steady stream of great games and maybe a price drop by E3 time.

Will Microsoft keep holdng their cards close to their chest just to use their war chest during the holidays to recuop most of the lost ground? Will that strategy keep working in subsequent years? No idea.

I don't know how much more work kinect requires in r&d, hasn't all the heavy lifting been done?

Kinect was amazing for kids, esp for birthday parties. I really thought ms was going to bifurcate their strategy, kinect forcused kids games and shoot/stab mature controller games. But the release titles were just sad wrt to kid titles. I still do not understand why they dropped support instead of making a regular stream of jumping-around kids games and cultivating that audience.

I thought that they made a ton of "jumping-around kids games" for the Kinect and that most of the criticism leveled at Microsoft's later 360 first-party output was a result of that focus.

They made Kinectamals, Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports 1 and 2 and a look at the available 360 Kinect games on gamestop.com shows that there are a ton of Microsoft published games.

allan-bh

Assuming this is 3DS/360/PS3/Wii/Vita (if so <3 you) and 3DS is around 515k, these are my estimates:

360: 305,000
PS3: 88,500
Vita: 32,750
Wii: 24,750

Those last two could be reversed. Hopefully they're all +-5k.

What? PS3 is dead and 360 more alive than Wii U.

360 sold ~310k so I think this is pretty close of real numbers.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

They only have three studios they built that are current?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Turn 10 makes Forza. The second the series stops being profitable they'll close it down.

353 makes Halo. The second the series stops being profitable they'll close it down.

Black Tusk Studios is just an old studio with a new name and have never released a game. They make Gears of War and will be closed down if it isn't profitable.

Rare makes Kinect games. The reanimated corpse of Rare will dance to whatever tune Microsoft fiddles. Let's see what they do next.

Lion Head Studios makes Fable. When the series stops being profitable they'll close it down. My guess is that they'll close it down after Fable Legends regardless.

Miles X

Assuming this is 3DS/360/PS3/Wii/Vita (if so <3 you) and 3DS is around 515k, these are my estimates:

360: 305,000
PS3: 88,500
Vita: 32,750
Wii: 24,750

Those last two could be reversed. Hopefully they're all +-5k.

LTD's I have are

360 - 41.99m
Wii - 41.67m
PS3 - 25.55m

Missing October data tho.

Top Bottom