• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

If they priced it right and released in a slower time it could work okay but no where near numbers of TR 2013. We're at what 15 million Xbox One? PS4 will be 45+ million at release?

One major problem, Square can't release the PS4 any sooner than 1 year after the XBO version's release.

rokkerkory

I am pretty interested in seeing how MS will handle things from this point forward. Their strongest IP couldn't make a difference. So, I imagine the focus will be on price from now on. Just keep lowering it and/or adding incentives.

Price likely but without games price wont do it alone

Edit: how about free gold?

I hope that cheque was worth it SE you dummies. Do these people not have any business sense whatsoever? Or are they just intimidated by MS? Same shit happened to many Japanese developers last gen who almost went bankrupt to take a small upfront pile of cash, yet the games bombed on the 360, had a negative effect on PS3 (their real money maker) which stunted their market and also negatively affected their franchises. I can't help but laugh.

Sony on the other hand, straight up crushing it. Uncharted 4 just might be bigger than Halo in NPD. Think about that for a second, who would have thought that 1/2/3 years ago?

Eh, I disagree. Their are plenty of valid reasons for wanting a game to fail. Maybe not all of them are applicable here.

I've wanted plenty of games to fail over the years and I don't understand why it's remotely childish.

Wanting tens if not hundreds of people's hard work to fail AND speak it loud is childish, you can think/wish that way, but stating it loud is over the line.

If consumers pay $60 for HD remasters like The Last of Us, I don't see why that would stop people from buying rise of the tomb raider just because it was out on another platform a year back. Most will probably see it as a new game (not knowing of the xbox ones exclusivity /not caring) and considering a lot of people bought the 2013 reboot: I don't think it will necessarily bomb again

When did TLOU Remastered release?

When will ROTR PS4 release?

It will be drowned yet again. The games next November will probably be just as big as this one.

Crackbone

If evolution means getting crappier, then there will always be a legion of people to call them out on it. This isn't a charity. People pay for this shit. They are allowed to form an opinion in which they say it is garbage, because once again I've wrote in great detail why I think it sucks. So now I also get to be happy it bombs. You guys really need to stop litigating negativity because you don't like hearing it. You live in a world in which people are absolutely equally allowed to hate a franchise you love, and are equally allowed to wish it fails the same way you'd hope it succeeds. Two sides of the same coin, and all part of forming real world adult opinions.

And nobody is against the series "updating." I am against the series "updating" into something that shares virtually no similarities with the original. If you want to do that, get a new series. They didn't, so now I get my time to be happy they were not rewarded for it here.

I'm actually with you on this. While I don't agree with your premise, you certainly have a right to criticize or even root for it's failure.

I like the reboot. It's not Tomb Raider however. It's something entirely different. More akin to Uncharted and not the original series.

We'll likely not see another true "Tomb Raider" in the near future, regardless if this bombed or not. I just don't think the AAA gaming public has a desire for that type game anymore.

Rather have that, then what they did with Shadow Dragon.
Besides if this popularity gets us Genealogy of the Holy War remake, I'm all for it.
Haha I doubt we'll get that remake ever, but we can all keep dreaming.
I might be one of the few that loved the reboot (hated the old Tomb Raider games), I guess I am one of them that Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics fucked over, I would've bought RotTR day one. Now that its a year later? Fuck no, they can suck it, it deserves to bomb. I won't buy it next year (probably).
I mean I think many of the critics of the game still enjoyed it. I enjoyed it for what it was. It just wasn't quite the modern Tomb Raider I had expected. Which was a shame because the original has aged like a pile of butts.

But yeah, it does seem odd to try to cultivate a new, wider modern fanbase and then proceed to cut them off. With so much coming out next year, it'll be interesting to see how it does.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well there's always December...

Updated Amazon December rankings:

#3 PS4 Battlefront bundle
#12 PS4 Uncharted Collection bundle
#15 WiiU 32GB MK8 bundle
#32 Xbone Gears bundle
#58 Xbone holliday bundle

It looks like PS4 will take another easy win, but let's wait for final ranking list.

Tankard

So in the end the $299 Uncharted bundle was a fantastic idea.

I have no idea why it was criticize by some people all consumers care about is the price.

That has always been the case for Black Friday, i know that and i'm not even american, i have no idea why so many people thought Sony was so wrong about doing the deal with the Uncharted bundle. It was actually a genious move if you think about it, get all these people to buy your console with the discounted price they wanted and at the same time put your mainline 1st party title on these consumers hands just in time for the sequel.
And now they enjoy the same discounted price to enjoy the accolades and hype of Star Wars.
They played a very good chess match these holidays.

It will be drowned yet again. The games next November will probably be just as big as this one.

TLOU released at the end of August, and it was $50 not $60. Also what games are coming out in holidays 2016? For all we know it will be another Assassins Creed, Another CoD, maybe a Battlefield?

Wanting tens if not hundreds of people's hard work to fail AND speak it loud is childish, you can think/wish that way, but stating it loud is over the line.

Yea... no. I'll give you an example that I already mentioned in this thread. Hitman: Absolution. Game was so awful and completely different then what I wanted from a Hitman game that I wanted it to fail so it would send a message to the devs/publisher.

Had the IP died and never made a return, I'd be okay with that. That the new Hitman game looks like a return to form is something I celebrate and will reward by buying it.

It's certainly a selfish way of looking at the games industry but it's also my $60. That people worked hard on the title has no bearing on it.

De_Legend

Banned
They got to move the date for TR on PS4, Releasing it in november next year would be dumb as hell.

Summer-early fall release incoming.

Amir0x

Banned
You feelin alright? Your posts are really weird in this thread.

There is literally nothing weird about them. I've said for like a year I'd be glad to see this shit bomb. I've described in detail why in a zillion topics, with thousands of words describing what has gone wrong in the franchise. Weird means out of character, not doing precisely what you said you would a year ago.

SeanR1221

There is literally nothing weird about them. I've said for like a year I'd be glad to see this shit bomb. I've described in detail why in a zillion topics, with thousands of words describing what has gone wrong in the franchise. Weird means out of character, not doing precisely what you said you would a year ago.

This is a weird post as well.

You just seem really worked up. I dunno. It's weird to read this stuff.

If someone is on a campaign, then fine. I don't feel like anyone here is tbh. You guys are just taking someone's lack of empathy and and taking it to the max. If TR sold well, I'd be cool with it, I'd just think my opinion differed from the public at large, but I'm not sorry that what I felt were bad decisions overall weren't rewarded by consumers. People are free to love it and I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise.

I've felt this way for movies, games, books, etc. I don't wish nor actively campaign for anything to no longer exist, but I'm not sorry to see the market working as intended in regards to purchases.

Amir0x

Banned
This is a weird post as well.

You just seem really worked up. I dunno. It's weird to read this stuff.

I'm not worked up at all. I'm extremely happy, as I said. However, it's a common tactic by those who don't actually want a discussion to try to say someone "feels" a certain way instead of addressing any points.

I feel fine, my posts are precisely how I said I would act a year ago. Thanks for your comically disingenuous concern. Next.

Glad to see a racing game doing well. I knew Tomb Raider wasn't going to chart though. Surprised Halo 5 didn't drop any further. Assassin's Creed must be doing horribly.

Best wishes.

SeanR1221

I'm not worked up at all. I'm extremely happy, as I said. However, it's a common tactic by those who don't actually want a discussion to try to say someone "feels" a certain way instead of addressing any points.

I feel fine, my posts are precisely how I said I would act a year ago. Next.

Ok cool.

Your normal is my drunk

They got to move the date for TR on PS4, Releasing it in november next year would be dumb as hell.

Summer-early fall release incoming.

They can't. There's an exclusivity deal in place with Microsoft.

My guess is that the game will see the bulk of its sales on PC early next year.

yes it's one year for RotTR. but exactly 12 months puts the game right back where it will do poorly again, going up against the 2016 big hitters. they can't release sooner because of the MS deal and going later will drive the game out of peoples minds even more.

just a fucked up situation all around for this game.

Amir0x

Banned
Well...

They fucked up.

The funny thing is Uncharted 4 got delayed anyway sooo

what was even the point? I mean I guess they couldn't have known that at the time they made the deal, but pretty much everything went wrong here. My God, what would the numbers have been had U4 come out?

I just don't think the AAA gaming public has a desire for that type game anymore.

The reality is that no one knows. I mean no one knew that there was a market for something like the Souls games, not even SCEJ or SCEA thought there was market for that type of games but DeS was made non the less and send to die and eventually build a strong niche audience that became evangelizers for this type of games until turning them into a sizable market.

Though while I do agree that a classic Tomb Raider game may just bomb and not even be successful at bargain bins (like the TR reboot was) you never know what could happen, specially when there is no one else making a game like that currently.

yes it's one year for RotTR. but exactly 12 months puts the game right back where it will do poorly again, going up against the 2016 big hitters. they can't release sooner because of the MS deal and going later will drive the game out of peoples minds even more.

just a fucked up situation all around for this game.

They will probably give it a mid January like with TR DE.

Top Bottom