• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

watdaeff4

How? It was at 30 million as of November 22. It didn't sell all the units for November in BF week alone. I would be shocked if it was over 32 million by the end of November.

A good bit of that 1.5 million in the US probably came in the last week of Nov.

Factor in WW sales esp since Black Friday has infiltrated Europe and I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least 31.5 million

Kyoufu

How? It was at 30 million as of November 22. It didn't sell all the units for November in BF week alone. I would be shocked if it was over 32 million by the end of November.

Pretty easy to calculate this.

30.2 + 1.5 (November NPD) = 31.7

Now the remaining 300k from the rest of the world. Surely they sold that much in their biggest market (Europe) as well as Asia, no?

32 million is me being conservative. I heard PS4 had a very strong BF worldwide and not just US, so yeah, wouldn't be surprised at 32+ until the end of November.

shwimpy

The funny thing is Uncharted 4 got delayed anyway sooo

what was even the point? I mean I guess they couldn't have known that at the time they made the deal, but pretty much everything went wrong here. My God, what would the numbers have been had U4 come out?
I would have loved to see Uncharted's numbers against the big third party releases this year.

Surprised the gap in the UK is so close -- did Sony not have as good of deals as Microsoft in the UK? I always figured that the UK was slightly more pro-Sony than the US for PS4.

And if Street Fighter 5 does good numbers? Isn't it relatively the same type of deal in the long run?

A usually multi play game on consoles only coming out on one?

I could be wrong

I don't really see SF5 being a big budget type game like Tomb Raider. I still think "smaller" exclusives like this probably will exist in some form or fashion.

I would have loved to see Uncharted's numbers against the big third party releases this year.

I think they would have been better than this, but releasing around battlefront, BLOPs, Fallout would have been rough. I'd imagine the user base may have been better because of Europe, but that's speculation tbh.

watdaeff4

what was even the point? I mean I guess they couldn't have known that at the time they made the deal, but pretty much everything went wrong here. My God, what would the numbers have been had U4 come out?
Likely about the same considering who bought RoTR

Updated Amazon December rankings:

#3 PS4 Battlefront bundle
#12 PS4 Uncharted Collection bundle
#15 WiiU 32GB MK8 bundle
#32 Xbone Gears bundle
#58 Xbone holliday bundle

It looks like PS4 will take another easy win, but let's wait for final ranking list.

Still completely broken I think. There is no way for the PS4 NDC bundle to be so low for the month. I really suggest skipping Amazon for the monthly december, it's broken since the beginning.

MavFan619

Banned
I see

At a good game bombing? Why?
Because it's kind of funny how many bad decisions led to this bombing. It's not like there was a sound decision from announced exclusivity deal to the day they chose to release it on. It is a bit funny honestly. I did enjoy the game but it's undoubtedly a weird release plan they had with it.

De_Legend

Banned

Oh yeah, forgot about that...

Wow, it's kinda sad, I would be really curious to see how much money MS put into this. one day maybe..

Welfare

Now the remaining 300k from the rest of the world. Surely they sold that much in their biggest market (Europe) as well as Asia, no?

32 million is me being conservative. I heard PS4 had a very strong BF worldwide and not just US, so yeah, wouldn't be surprised at 32+ until the end of November.
The 30.2m includes part of the 1.5m. 30.2m was as of the week before Black Friday.

watdaeff4

It was 30.2 as if Nov 22 not Nov 1st so you can't count all of the NPD numbers

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
I think it's telling about how much MS knows their target market if they thought exclusivity on TR was the right business decision.

Very well said. Seemed like an odd title for MS to spend what I assume was very significant money on for exclusivity. TR seems like much more of a PS4-crowd game than Xbone.

Although at the time MS announced the TR deal, the Bone was seriously floundering. It looked like a desperation move.

nib95

Banned
See, this is where you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Anyone who participates in the reboot TR topics can tell you I've been a consistent body criticizing the reboot in great detail. I have endless long posts detailing what I find wrong with the series, and why I would be happy the series bombed. There's gotta be at least a hundred of those types of posts in my post history about the reboot. But this isn't the topic for detailing why I don't like it, it's an NPD topic. The topic is sales, and what your reaction is to it. My reaction is I'm happy, and I've laid out the reasons I would be happy about such a scenario in endless ancient reboot TR topics. Thousands of words on the subject.

So if I broke it down here everything that sucks about the reboot, I would be accused of derailing the thread. But just celebrate, and I'm accused of being mean spirited. All anyone needs to know is hoping a series - tv, book, movie or game - bombs is as old as time, fucking everyone does it, and if you can't deal with that please actually say something meaningful about it instead of whining. This is not a charity. This is stuff people pay hard earned cash for, and a lot of cash. If they can't deal with people hating their product, they should stop making games.

Although it is mean spirited, I think the bigger take away for me is the degree of selfishness about it all. Like yea, ok you don't like the new direction, but many people do, and if enough people don't, the market will speak for itself.

The only reason the other Tomb Raider doesn't exist any more is because people stopped caring for it, and presumably the reason the new one does, is because SE saw the success of games like Uncharted and thought they'd capitalise on it.

At the end of the day, wanting something to fail, which affects so many people's lives, simply because it isn't to your taste, when you know it is to so many other people's taste, is imo selfish. There are literally hundreds of games out there, so what if one isn't to your liking, just play something else. Actually going out of your way to want something to fail simply because it doesn't meet your subjective criteria? Yea. No I'm not sure about that. If it was anti consumer, or racist or something of that nature, fair enough, but simple subjective design differences don't warrant such animosity or ill will imo.

Surprised the gap in the UK is so close -- did Sony not have as good of deals as Microsoft in the UK? I always figured that the UK was slightly more pro-Sony than the US for PS4.

MS were a little bit cheaper in some retailers but there were great deals for both as low as £220-£240.

Very well said. Seemed like an odd title for MS to spend what I assume was very significant money on for exclusivity. TR seems like much more of a PS4-crowd game than Xbone.

Although at the time MS announced the TR deal, the Bone was seriously floundering. It looked like a desperation move.

Originally Uncharted 4 was planned for this holiday so it was going to be Uncharted vs Tomb Raider, they wanted an action/adventure title to go up against it which they don't have of their own

UC3 managed decent sales (700k), despite a stacked lineup. I think UC4 would have done quite well this holiday season. It's a franchise on the rise and is quite different than any of the other big hitters.

I think it was a smart move to delay it, however, as I think releasing in a window by itself will increase the sales.

That's why it's incredibly difficult to time big exclusives during the holiday window. You're more than likely just cannibalizing your sales potential. I think Sony in general is quite smart to release their big hitters outside of the holiday window.

I think the latest they should release a big game is in October.

You can't total the entire November NPD onto the 30.2 million. The 30.2 million was as of November 22nd. After BO3, Battlefront, and FO4 moved a ton of hardware.

Says the one who made SF5 PS console exclusive.
Salty....

You're trying really hard to downplay the possibility, when all evidence seems to be suggesting that's going to end up happening. Also keep in mind these systems are just entering their 3rd year. Years 3 and 4 are traditionally where the bulk of sales come from; it's not unrealistic to expect PS4 to sell around 25-30 million for 2016, which is about as much as the system has sold in its first two combined.

And the funny thing about the front-loaded thing is, it isn't even substantial evidence of a severe contraction in sales for either system. Now the XBO could see a LTD limited to 60-70 million sure, but PS2 has much better circumstances going for it than PS3 ever did, which still managed around 85-90 million WW (maybe more than that actually, granted in a longer-than-average gen but still...).

At the very least, it will cross the 100 million line within the next 3 - 3 1/2 years. It probably won't hit PS2's numbers, but it can realistically do around 115-125 million at the pace things are going so far (probably at the lower end of that for 5-6 years. People tend to forget PS2 got to 155 million in 2009, nine years after its launch, not 2005).
So much wrong in that guy's argument, you shouldn't try lol...smh

You also conveniently left things like Quantum Break, ReCore, Scalebound, Crackdown and Sea of Thieves out. An admirable lineup of experiences.

I'm not sure what Sony has to do with what I wrote but alright. Unless you meant that in a positive light, then hell yes, lots of good stuff to go around.
You've seen these games? I don't know what ReCore even is, Scalebound and Crackdown both looked rough, and Sea of Thieves is now this proven awesome game because Rare and reasons? I feel like every MS exclusive just gets this automatic free pass of it's going to be awesome, same for some of Sony's games as well. Not sold on NMS, Tomorrow Children, Wild etc...But the issue is, Sony has a lot more coming out, and many from more proven developers.

Fredrik

It will launch 1 year latter and in the Holiday period again. Do you really think the game has a chance of doing well? Because I certainly dont.

PC may be its only chance.
Depends on what they add and improve. It's a disaster of a release for sure, hopefully MS is paying the bill somehow for the lost sales. But the game itself is already great, one of the very best this year, 1 year later, why wouldn't PS4-only gamers buy a truly great game they could never play before which is now improved even more? Something is very wrong if it bombs next year too.

It'll hopefully do fine on PC but I have my doubts there since they won't have time to improve it much from the XB1 release, it'll probably just be a late release, my guess is it'll be mostly about improving the framerate and maybe the textures and resolution etc which was never really an issue. PS4 version comes later, extra time for improvements, it'll likely be the true definitive edition, all DLC included, extra costumes, some new tombs and tweaked gameplay and new effects.

kswiston

The 30.2m includes part of the 1.5m. 30.2m was as of the week before Black Friday.

31M would have easily been doable WW with Black Friday by the end of November. With a strong December worldwide, PS4 could still hit 35M sold through by the end of the year. December sales will at least be flat in the US, and will more likely increase by 10-20%. Japan will move 200k consoles. That leaves 2M or so for Europe and the rest of the world in the busiest month of the year.

Crackbone

The reality is that no one knows. I mean no one knew that there was a market for something like the Souls games, not even SCEJ or SCEA thought there was market for that type of games but DeS was made non the less and send to die and eventually build a strong niche audience that became evangelizers for this type of games until turning them into a sizable market.

Though while I do agree that a classic Tomb Raider game may just bomb and not even be successful at bargain bins (like the TR reboot was) you never know what could happen, specially when there is no one else making a game like that currently.

This is true.

I could've made a better statement which would've been, "I'm not sure AAA publishers will fund such a game anymore."

Loudninja

31M would have easily been doable WW with Black Friday by the end of November. With a strong December worldwide, PS4 could still hit 35M sold through by the end of the year. December sales will at least be flat in the US, and will more likely increase by 10-20%. Japan will move 200k consoles. That leaves 2M or so for Europe and the rest of the world in the busiest month of the year.
Yep
In addition, Black Friday sales were the strongest in PlayStation history demonstrating more people game now than ever before.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Knew all the positive Xbox One articles today was controlled damage report due to NPD results. There ya go.

Pathetic post. Damage control over 1.3M sales, ok. A grand total of 2 articles vs 1 PS4 article. Peel those blindfolders off, son.

UC4 is almost bound to to better LTD then Halo 5 at this rate.
Well we'll see but that seems doubtful. Halo 5 is probably likely heading to 2 million WW already despite the slower sales.

Is this a meme I'm not aware of (maybe linked to that hilarious "90% digital sales")? This can't be a serious opinion, if the apocalypse was to strike us all down U4 would still manage 5M ltd at a bare minimum (and those would be underwhelming sales to say the least).

Pathetic post. Damage control over 1.3M sales. 2 articles vs 1 PS4 article. Peel those blindfolders off, son.

Is this a meme I'm not aware of (maybe linked to that hilarious "90% digital sales")? This can't be a serious opinion, if the apocalypse was to strike us all down U4 would still manage 5M ltd at a bare minimum (and those would be underwhelming sales to say the least).
Their post history speaks for itself at this point.

Kyoufu

You can't total the entire November NPD onto the 30.2 million. The 30.2 million was as of November 22nd. After BO3, Battlefront, and FO4 moved a ton of hardware.

I'm going by strong sales on Black Friday worldwide. Do you think a significant amount of consumers purchased consoles before Black Friday sales started? Doesn't make sense to me tbh.

Imru’ al-Qays;188786642 said:
Have we gotten any of those great this gen vs gen 6/7 and PS4 vs PS2 comparison charts in this thread yet?

I think we had 1 earlier. But I mean as of now globally PS4 is still outpacing PS2 and had a bigger November than at any point in Playstation history.

So in other words PS4 is chugging along really damn beautifully.

I'm going by strong sales on Black Friday worldwide. Do you think a significant amount of consumers purchased consoles before Black Friday sales started? Doesn't make sense to me tbh.

Yes? A ton of hardware was moved before Black Friday. A huge chunk, maybe even around 50% of the month was sold prior to BF

Top Bottom