• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2016

Norse

They didn't push it.
They made it cheaper. And it worked. Good for them nevertheless, but it was no magic of marketing or something.
Maybe games in general just passed by the cournot point.

Mega amounts of tf2 commercials on the channels I watch. During sports especially

Kind of meaningless.

Pokemon shattered the doom-clock. Going to take all the king's horses and all the king's men to put the doom-clock back together again.
Nintendo licked the sweet poisoned blood of free to play mobile games.
There's no way back.

donny2112

Saw a total for Apr-Sep. Wii U (220K > NES Classic supply in November), but haven't seen anything on Wii U in November. We have PS4, XB1 (from reading the source of those, I believe these numbers), and 3DS. Just need a public Wii U number for public prediction results, then. Can we get a % decrease YOY for Wii U or something? Just enough to get a rough estimate would be good. :)

I want XV to win but i dont see how it will beat Pokemon or COD. XV was scheduled for September for a reason, so it wouldnt have to go up against juggernauts like that.

The PSN november sales are a good sign though, so im cautiously optimistic that it will do well even if its behind the bigger games.

Do we know what COD was at last November? COD's 50% drop year to year is pretty huge and it will be down even more in December. I can see FFXV having a shot to beat COD this month.

Pokemon, though, will definitely beat everything though.

It came out at the end of the year

It's worth pointing out that the first Dishonored launched in October. So there is precedent for success for the franchise near the end of the year.

donny2112

Wanna say like 4-6m. Would make it like 2-3m this year. Not terrible, but COD is just used to a whole lot more. Like selling 20m worldwide in 12 months type stuff, and doesn't look like this one will get near that level.

Saw a total for Apr-Sep. Wii U (220K > NES Classic supply in November), but haven't seen anything on Wii U in November. We have PS4, XB1 (from reading the source of those, I believe these numbers), and 3DS. Just need a public Wii U number for public prediction results, then. Can we get a % decrease YOY for Wii U or something? Just enough to get a rough estimate would be good. :)

wait where did you see this?

Square2015

Well I predict FFXV sells 1.1m-1.2m in Dec, maybe a little more. Kind of surprised people predicting <1m or even 700k, that would be pretty bad guys. It will be out five weeks in the biggest month of the year.

For comparison the last DEC FF was FFX, available just three weeks, had shortages, and sold 746k.

jjonez18

I'll use the UK as my guide for FFXV. Down compared to XIII. So around 1m with a 80/20 split. PS4's FF fanbase size stays flat while the XB FF fanbase craters.

donny2112

wait where did you see this?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/nintendo-nes-mini-sales-figures/

Nintendo's Classic Mini NES sold a whopping 196,000 units in November in the US, according to an industry tracker.

By comparison, NPD found that Nintendo shifted just 220,000 of the soon-to-be-defunct Wii U console in the US over the six month period from April through to September. UK sales figures have yet to be reported.

Combined with the estimated 261,000 units of the Mini Famicom sold in Japan in just one week (according to the country's industry tracker Media Create), Nintendo's nostalgia boxes are off to a flying start. That will come as as little surprise to anyone that's actually tried to buy a Mini NES or Famicom in stores, with the console remaining largely sold out throughout the US, UK, and Japan.

Well I predict FFXV sells 1.1m-1.2m in Dec, maybe a little more. Kind of surprised people predicting <1m or even 700k, that would be pretty bad guys. It will be out five weeks in the biggest month of the year.

For comparison the last DEC FF was FFX, available just three weeks, had shortages, and sold 746k.

I think we are mostly predicting FFXV down a good deal from FFXIII due to its performance in UK and Japan. It would be a surprise for it to not also be down considerably in NA.

But yeah 700k or less seems like it would be a crazy low prediction

220k in 6 months?! Holy shit

Well one is $60 and one is still $230 for some reason. One is one of the best consoles Nintendo has ever made with heavy nostalgia whereas one is arguably the worst piece of hardware Nintendo has ever made this side of the Virtual Boy that few people in 20-30 years will even remember much less have nostalgia for.

Not exactly a great comparison that means much.

Bruno MB

Wii U is so irrelevant nowadays that I don't think we will be ever getting numbers, so I think it is best to exclude it and calculate November's prediction results.

For a non Bethesda RPG that is a fantastic result. Iirc Withcer 3 sold 700k first month. 1 million is where I would put FFXV.

That's somehow less than I anticipated for the 3DS. Wasn't it around 400k the last few month? I thought that a 99$ sale and Pokemon would push it way more...

Have to have stock to sell.

53GKMjFXu6fmS-G3z0vPyuTHxNIURJ7UB4JhJnkM2_KBdk0-Z2-zgoclsBMnuVZ8nridjobLwrDLTsDZsq_VyqMdl1liM3QFfdy0FY72WbPsLSOZAHtUC2XF7nXLTXrd1fqrHKOhSxxqM7uoQu2h0fHla_aegCkpif4c4xa9V_eKwM8RFu0S81XNJZM7pQrrlvqN4UzIy8zA8RTAmdFPkoXawbRKjsziY4Cv8nwch76M8K8jC7_hwbDvAdcRNrEO1pU_dMKtK015ARlXvU7tLCBVUO3L1J3i4wvYScqsFyL_Q0JGUMwhccy5KW0G9J_yJoqyo-xi_VyVnUb9_FehnqRDELul9LvwfKXSTeU91hJjHBW9_mMKvFAQ1SCkM89qpaXL2d97mh8GnVTWgvp2uvL9KzN2jqHm4nwElTw0AAg5CFC_2sTC7kfW4sphhhZl0qd8tHGlDzwmoeEkoKQ1azMn6HXULZZ_lT8S8rvHtABmXabNnDBLIskPhHlri9m6Nf8N0ixiVwRDLdsah-T0QvuGzmiK3TQXR93925WZmuS_vVnQssungIKwYXQejkXQHzevyIjjE9nW94BQaba4hghd9VgA_E2ECTnknyn6TnqlNqK5M-M80w=w1085-h610-no

Every store I have visited in the last month has been totally sold out of 3DS and 2DS

Personally I didn't bother with those two sequels because they looked too similar to games I had already played and finished and felt like I had no need to go back to their respective wells.
This is how I feel about Yakuza, Dishonored, COD, Disgaea etc...

So refreshing to play different and unique games like TLG, DQB, Grand Kingdom, and FF15.

Hopefully there's a silver lining with the Wii U in that games that came out on it may get a second chance on the Switch with a new audience by expanding the number and variety of games available on the new console early in its life.

It's difficult to put into context just how colossal of a failure the Wii U was. Luckily early indications are that Switch should do considerably better for them.

Well Switch will replace also 3DS so doing considerably better than WiiU is not enough. It will have to sell like 3DS to be a success.

sense

Thought psvr would be at least 500k. Guess my expectations were too high for an expensive add on. Also I didn't expect Sony to barely advertise the hardware. If they had advertised it a bit better or took it to conan/Fallon etc.. it could have been higher. Maybe they want to manufacture enough units and get more software out before they go big with advertising

Thought psvr would be at least 500k. Guess my expectations were too high for an expensive add on. Also I didn't expect Sony to barely advertise the hardware. If they had advertised it a bit better or took it to conan/Fallon etc.. it could have been higher. Maybe they want to manufacture enough units and get more software out before they go big with advertising

it's sold out everywhere. They appear to have sold through close to 100% of what they manufactured.

kswiston

I'd go with 700-800k for FFXV. Between 800k-1mill would be a good result.

I'm pretty sure even 800k would be a worse drop than the UK saw for FFXV's first week vs FFXIII's first week. This doesn't even consider the fact that XV should hold a bit better in subsequent weeks because it's December.

While FFXV will almost certainly be down from FF13, in a year of sequels grossly underperforming I get the sense that FFXV will underperform less that a lot of its competitors, if that makes sense.

Doubt that SE will consider that a victory though.

Sky Chief

Wow, I'm surprised more people aren't studying how down the industry is year over year. Pretty shockingly too, that's not good.

Memento

30% of all hardware sales were from UC4 bundle? Like, of all hardware sales or just PS4?

Either way, wow.

I wonder what are the numbers of Uncharted 4 currently...

Top Bottom