• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

I love how GAF wants to suck Pachter off for numbers but when he says anything regarding hardware/software sales predictions he becomes a douchebag and an idiot.
GAF don't ever change.
On topic, Microsoft is going to fuckin clean up the next few months. Does anyone know what their projected sales target for this fiscal year was? I'm pretty sure they're going to exceed it.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Massa said:
How great that one of the buggiest games ever released sells 1 million copies. Great message to developers and publishers out there.
Still better than most games this year. /shrug

FrankT

szaromir said:
PC has always had separate charts.

Though true I have no idea why since the change the PC version is included at least in the listing;

02. Fallout: New Vegas **(360, PS3, PC) BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

pharmboy044 said:
I love how GAF wants to suck Pachter off for numbers but when he says anything regarding hardware/software sales predictions he becomes a douchebag and an idiot.
GAF don't ever change.
On topic, Microsoft is going to fuckin clean up the next few months. Does anyone know what their projected sales target for this fiscal year was? I'm pretty sure they're going to exceed it.

They never give 360 targets. The 5 million Kinect by year end is really the first I've seen in quite some time of anything in the division.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Massa said:
How great that one of the buggiest games ever released sells 1 million copies. Great message to developers and publishers out there.

Console gamers :lol

Wallach

Massa said:

Angles were definitely too angular on that one.

stupei

Painraze said:
Still better than most games this year. /shrug

And it's not all that much buggier than the game that got the second highest sales numbers in the month. At least none of the main characters have stopped talking in my copy of New Vegas.

I miss John Cleese's voice. :(

Meier

godhandiscen said:
Ok, at least Fable 3 will make a profit. However, this should be the end of the franchise.
Why? It looks like they used the same engine and they obviously used A LOT of the same assets. I'd be shocked if it wasn't already profitable.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Is Halo Reach on track to match Halo 3 sales at leas?

If not, goodbye Bungie and don't let the door hit you in the ass i guess.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm beginning to think Sony's going to forgo the whole PR thing. Nintendo too. I mean, that's not for sure, but they've had the data since yesterday (probably), so it's not like they're still running around going "oh, crap, someone write a PR already!"

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Kyoufu said:
Did Move bomb in the US?
I don't think so given 15% increase in move bundles from Sept to Oct. (we don't know about the standalone version)

FrankT

jvm said:
I'm beginning to think Sony's going to forgo the whole PR thing. Nintendo too. I mean, that's not for sure, but they've had the data since yesterday (probably), so it's not like they're still running around going "oh, crap, someone write a PR already!"

Boooo on that. With 360 at just 325k I got to wonder how the rest fared.

Prine

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
I hope it's not the end of the franchise, but i also hope the next game doesn't suck.

Yes, Fable 2 had strong word of mouth... I cant say the same for F3. Its entertaining, but hasnt progressed as much as people expected, in a lot of ways taken a few steps back.

Story, scale (size of world) and voice work are fantastic, everything else is a cluster of "why?" and "wtf". Fable remains a core Xbox franchise, but they need to reboot the franchise. Think long and hard about new gaming elements and flesh them out, what little they added to 3 seems half arsed.

And the Dog is completely useless. They didnt do anything with it, probably my biggest disappointment. That and the combat.

kinggroin

Banned
Wow. Talk about dropping the ball. At this pace I can't see nintendo maintaining any kind of serious momentum going into the next round. What good is all that marketshare dominance when alls said and done, your competitor will be seen as THE console for both hardcore camera and the very fickle casual gaming audience.

Next gen will be incredibly interesting.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Update:

Fallout: New Vegas (PC) -- 107K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Owzers

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Wii Party missing is very strange, expected it to start off slowly with a few hundred thousand at the very least.

Maybe Nintendo shouldn't have ditched Mario characters in favor of Miis? I dunno, Wii software predictions are soooooo iffy, i wonder what Nintendo expected the title to sell.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
WrikaWrek said:

Down on Halo 3. Unless the Reach console sold really well, because I don't think NPD counts those copies.

Also going to be very hard to compete with Halo 3's legs.

But selling 3.6m copies in 2 months (US) is probably enough to keep them afloat.

FrankT

EviLore said:
Update:

Fallout: New Vegas (PC) -- 107k

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

So can you clarify if that is part of the 1.1 million for the month or above and beyond that?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
WrikaWrek said:

I think Reach is about 110k behind Halo 3 after 2 months.

jvm said:
There is only so many times you can say "The Playstation family is doing well."

Actually . . . they probably can't say that since the PS2 & PSP have probably been dropping off the map now.

WrikaWrek said:

It still sold about a zillion copies.

Same for the doom and gloom with Fable 3. I'm acutally surprised at the numbers considering marketing was far more subdued than it was for Fable 2.

seady

butter_stick said:
Just Dance 2 destroying Rock Band 3 is tragic.

Before people shit on Just Dance 2, people should play it before criticizing it.

I rent it at RedBox out of curiosity and I have to say I am quite impressed with the game and had a ton of fun with friends. To put it in perspective, I also played Dance Central, while Dance Central is technically more impressive and track your movement more precisely, it's just not as fun to play in a party because Just Dance 2 supports 4 players simultaneously and Dance Central is mostly a single player game with less focus on multiplayer.

Dance Central is more for serious dancing, while Just Dance 2 is ridiculous chaotic fun.

Prine

Banned
WrikaWrek said:

If not, goodbye Bungie and don't let the door hit you in the ass i guess

Oh come on, it may not be as commercially successful but its superior to H3. So no, MS should lay down the rug and bow as Bungie walk out.

Wallach

EviLore said:
Update:

Can you say whether that is just B&M retail or "total"?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
WrikaWrek said:

It already underperformed compared to Halo 3 in its second month. Halo 3 did 433k in October 2007. However, I feel the marketing push for Halo 3 was much bigger (special edition soda and snack, Hollywood budget live action shorts, CGI commercial done by ILM and premiered during an important football match, etc). The thing Halo Reach had going for it was a bigger Xbox user base, however, by now CoD is more of an event.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jtyettis said:
So can you clarify if that is part of the 1.1 million for the month or above and beyond that?

That number is in addition to the 360+PS3 number.

Gadfly

szaromir said:
Oh,then my Fallout PS3 estimation is totally off. 360 - (PS3+PC) 2:1
Although I have no idea how big retail PC market is anymore.
I believe the gaffer that raised the question was hoping that (360+PC):pS3 == 2:1

Instro

Nice I nailed the 360 numbers in the prediction thread, feels good man. Surprised that Kirby and CV didnt chart, but on the plus side maybe we will get some more IGAvanias now.

Gadfly

godhandiscen said:
It already underperformed compared to Halo 3 in its second month. Halo 3 did 433k in October 2007. However, I feel the marketing push for Halo 3 was much bigger (special edition soda and snack, Hollywood budget live action shorts, CGI commercial done by ILM and premiered during an important football match, etc). The thing Halo Reach had going for it was a bigger Xbox user base, however, by now CoD is more of an event.
you nailed it. COD was not this big back then.

charsace

EviLore said:
Update:

Does NPD count steam sales? That number looks too low for FONV PC.

Pooya

so 1.1m for Fallout, really impressive, they are rivaling Final Fantasy in sales :lol .
Sales split is really similar to UK charts, it was 60/30/10 in the first week and remained similar for the weeks after.

charsace said:
Does NPD count steam sales? That number looks too low for FONV PC.
This is only retail sales I believe.

Gadfly said:
you nailed it. COD was not this big back then.

COD has a broader appeal due to it being available on all consoles and PCs so it gets more internet chatter and word of mouth because more people can experience it. Halo, being on 360 is "constrained" to the talk between and for the 360 userbase.

GhaleonEB

New! 06. Halo: Reach **(360) MICROSOFT - 315K

For comparison, Halo 3 sold 434k in October 2007. Reach shipped earlier in the month, but had a nearly identically sized debut. Looks on track to under-perform Halo 3 by a good margin when it's all said and done.

Meier said:
Why? It looks like they used the same engine and they obviously used A LOT of the same assets. I'd be shocked if it wasn't already profitable.

I think Molyneux words were something like this:"Or we sell 5 millions copies or fuck fable!!"

So, it's quite likely it won't reach 5 millions, I never stood a chance to do so,imo.

Actual quote

”We <Lionhead Studios> are driving to sell more than five million units and to make a profit in excess of $150 million,” Molyneux said. “We have to do that because if a franchise doesn’t reach that level it will inevitably wither.”

Top Bottom