• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

Cth

pharmboy044 said:
Nope...it's actually the reason why the total accessories sales for October are up 18% YOY.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...try_Dips_4_Percent_On_Slow_Hardware_Sales.php

Just asking here, since it's pointed out in the first post..

I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to Move.

After all, October was the month when Microsoft announced that prices would go up on Xbox Live subscriptions on November 1st. And anecdotally there was a mad rush to snatch up cards before they raised prices.

So, I don't think Move was the only reason for sale being up.

Of course, without numbers, who can say?

EDIT: Nevermind, misread the first post.

fernoca

For reference (re: Fable debut months)
  • Fable: 600k in 17 days (Sep 14. 2004)
  • Fable II: 790k in 11 days (Oct. 21, 2008)
  • Fable III: 580k in 4 days (Oct. 26, 2010)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dax01 said:
Speak for yourself.
It disappointed compared to the hype it carried. I still played about 5k games though.
Cth said:
Just asking here, since it's pointed out in the first post..

I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to Move.

After all, October was the month when Microsoft announced that prices would go up on Xbox Live subscriptions on November 1st. And anecdotally there was a mad rush to snatch up cards before they raised prices.

So, I don't think Move was the only reason for sale being up.

Of course, without numbers, who can say?

From the OP:

"PlayStation Move sold less than the Xbox 360 points card again."

I got 2 year subscription cards for 40 bucks.

jkanownik

jcm said:
NPD nowadays reminds me of those logic grid puzzles I used to do when was a kid. Those were fun.

In October Xbox 360 sold more than Wii and PS3, but less than NDS
NDS and Wii weekly sales were up versus September where they sold 80,600 and 50,800 a week respectively
Overall Playstation 3 sales were down from 312,000 in September
Playstation 3 Move Bundles up 15% from September
Xbox 360 sold less than the 484,000 units is sold in September
NDS sold 342,000 units in October
Xbox 360 sales were up from 245,000 units last year
Wii sales were down from 507,000 units last year

Which answer is the best representation of how many units the Xbox 360 console sold in October?

A. >312,000 and < 507,000
B. >358,800 and <403,000
C. <403,000 and >312,000
D. <484,000 and > 203,200
E. >203,200 and < 312,000
F. <507,000 and > 484,000
G. <342,000 and >245,000

godhandiscen said:
It disappointed compared to the hype it carried. I still played about 5k games though.
Any game would've been disappointing compared to the hype Halo 3 had. The MP was anything but disappointing.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
ElyrionX said:
Uhh I'm not sure I get what this means.
There is a theory saying that the 18% increase in accessories is due to the PS Move, but it could have just been people buying more spacebuck cards.

Dax01 said:
Any game would've been disappointing compared to the hype Halo 3 had. The MP was anything but disappointing.

It was a great game, its just that Reach feels like the MP Halo game I wanted to get. It is a shame that now I am out of college and enjoy almost no time to play videogames.

fernoca

ElyrionX said:
Uhh I'm not sure I get what this means.
Like last month. There's a separate list for accesories. The 1600 Microsoft Points cards are the top selling "accesory" in the list. PS Move controllers made it to lower positions.

Since the 1600 Points cards were the top selling accesory, again. Means that Move was lower than #1 in accesories.

szaromir

Banned
Sean said:
Microsoft themselves are partly to blame here. They got behind CoD4 (and future CoD titles) in such a huge way with the beta, being their big showcase title at E3, the multi year timed-exclusive DLC deal, all the commercials have the 360 logo at the end, the Xbox 360 MW2 bundle last year, etc.

Microsoft seems to push Call of Duty extremely hard despite it not being their own game.

It's hardly anything to blame, just promoting the platform. Funnily enough though even MS expects that Blops on 360 alone might outsell Reach. COD surely is huuuge (though I dislike the series).

godhandiscen said:
It was a great game, its just that Reach feels like the MP Halo game I wanted to get. It is a shame that now I am out of college and enjoy almost no time to play videogames.
Your basis for comparison is when the game released, not now.

Road

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...a-2k11-scores-top-oct-video-game-sales-spot/1
"Increased sales of specialty controllers and video game points and subscription cards drove accessory sales to dollar sales increases, Frazier said. For the fifth straight month, the Xbox Live 1600 point card was the top-selling accessory item. The top two specialty controller items were Playstation Move items, which increased average sales prices by $31 to $51 for the month, she said.

"Due to the success of the Move at retail, and the reported success of the Kinect early in its launch at retail," Frazier says, "Specialty Controller items should contribute significantly to industry sales during the holiday."​

Confusing, I know.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
jkanownik said:
In October Xbox 360 sold more than Wii and PS3, but less than NDS
NDS and Wii weekly sales were up versus September where they sold 80,600 and 50,800 a week respectively
Overall Playstation 3 sales were down from 312,000 in September
Playstation 3 Move Bundles up 15% from September
Xbox 360 sold less than the 484,000 units is sold in September
NDS sold 342,000 units in October
Xbox 360 sales were up from 245,000 units last year
Wii sales were down from 507,000 units last year

Which answer is the best representation of how many units the Xbox 360 console sold in October?

A. >312,000 and < 507,000
B. >358,800 and <403,000
C. <403,000 and >312,000
D. <484,000 and > 203,200
E. >203,200 and < 312,000
F. <507,000 and > 484,000
G. <342,000 and >245,000

you know we have the numbers for 360. right?

Cth

godhandiscen said:
From the OP:

"PlayStation Move sold less than the Xbox 360 points card again."

I got 2 year subscription cards for 40 bucks.

Ahh thanks, my bad, I missed the points portion of that :D

I'd be curious how subscription cards sold month over month or the sort..

Dabanton

HK-47 said:
God new NPD threads are so much more of a mess.

Just check the first post any new info is there.

I like it this way no silly gifs, no squabbling,people helping to work out numbers until they get a firmer number,no server crashes, no posts full of nothing but :lol :lol :lol :lol

FrankT

Baron Aloha said:
Time for a PS3 price drop? $199?

Well they could still be 2 between the consoles for all we know, but who knows. All we know is less than 250k for it and Wii greater than 204k.

Microsoft added, "Xbox 360 hardware sales have grown 30% year-over-year (October 2010 vs. October 2009) and, at 34% year-to-date growth is the fast-growing console for the first 10 months of 2010."

Good growth for the year then.

Mindlog

Nirolak said:
For comparison:

Fallout 3 (X360) - 375k
Fallout 3 (PS3) - Less than 183,000, more than 118,559

Both of my comments were concerning Fallout: NV. I was poking fun at the universal applicability of 'marketing.' :]

Thanks for those numbers. It really puts into perspective how well NV has performed (release date considerations included FO3 October 28, NV Oct 19.)

fernoca

chubigans said:
...are they saying what I think they're saying? :lol
You'd have to think really, really hard to make a "lol Wii is not current gen according to them", and would still be reaching. :p

What are you thinking anyway?:p

EDIT:
chubigans said:
I thought they weren't counting the Wii as a current gen console. My mistake. :p
Yeah..reaching. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Road said:
"For October, the 360 console was responsible for six of the top 10 console game titles, including the top four titles overall, "a feat never-before accomplished by a current-generation console," Microsoft boasted."

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-360-sells-325000-in-october-fable-iii-sells-580000/
I guess we can start forming a good old fashion top 10 SKUs with this info. Although FU2 is still a big mystery..

1. Fallout NV (360) - 679k
2. Fable III (36) - 580k
3. NBA (360)/Medal of Honor (360)
4. Medal of Honor (360)/NBA (360)
5. NBA (PS3)/Medal of Honor (PS3)/Fallout NV (PS3 - 331k)
6. NBA (PS3)/Medal of Honor (PS3)/Fallout NV (PS3 - 331k)
7. NBA (PS3)/Medal of Honor (PS3)/Fallout NV (PS3 - 331k)
8. Halo Reach (360) - 315k
9. Just Dance 2 (Wii) - 286k
10. Force Unleash 2 (360?? biggest guess..)

Of course the PS3 versions of NBA and Medal of Honor could be lower than Halo Reach/Just Dance, but that would require that the Wii/PC sales to be unusually strong.

antonz

chubigans said:
...are they saying what I think they're saying? :lol

They are playing a game a bit because Wii has dominated the top 3 spots before so to make it sound impressive they go top 4.

Top Bottom