• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

AniHawk

I suppose there are differences (the Gamecube was going against more similarly priced competition).

I wonder if a Vita -> Playstation TV model would work for them, if implemented more comprehensively (ie. full compatibility). Nintendo's greatest asset is their software and at the moment that is being split between supporting mutlitple devices. I know they've talked about moving to a more unified development enviroment, but IIRC they are still talking about them as separate systems. I think that may not go far enough. Imagine if instead of developing a NSMB2 then a NSMBU, or a Mario 3DL then a Mario 3DW, or separate Smash games, they could just make one game and free up resources to develop their software lineup more. Of course this could mean the end of third party support for Nintendo but that could happen anyway.

i think the idea of third-party would be changing anyway. nintendo's courting indie developers, or at least has been trying to make it easy for them. if they open it up in a pseudo-mobile way, it could allow the traditional third-parties to release their mobile games on such a platform (especially something like skylanders which activision is now pushing on mobile).

the system will come out probably in 2016 or 2017 at the very latest. at that point, it's going to probably be the middle-life of the ps4 and xb1 anyway. nintendo may just try building new kinds of hardware platforms to play their software. maybe their new platforms will really be engines that run on certain kinds of hardware, kinda like valve and source, except forcing hardware upgrades (which they manufacture) more often.

Bet Insomniac feels stupid about ditching Sony for MS now. Does this mean we can expect a Resistance 4 soon?

Please?

Resistance 3 probably sold less or as much as SO. They would have been better off going multiplat with SO but there is a chance the sequel will do better, like Resistance 2 did.

Glass Joe

PS4: Best selling hardware this month.
Wii U: Nintendo's statements imply around 68K

"Also, through the first 10 months of 2014, total sales of Wii U hardware and software have increased by 47 percent and 84 percent, respectively, over the same period in 2013."

That 68k for Wii U isn't just last month's number +47%, is it? Because Wii U hardware is simply up 47 percent for the entire year (as I interpret the statement). That would mean this particular month could be much higher or lower.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
or they could put their home console games on pc/ps/xb and make lots of money. A $99 home box is going to sell very little 3rd party stuff, or at least not enough to offset lost sales of their software not being on other platforms.

That's also why I said that if I was in charge of Nintendo I wouldn't be making another home console.

There still seems to be a handheld market, so it makes sense to keep going with that for now, but at this point their consoles are serving as anchors around their sales instead of trampolines to propel them.

However, if they're like "WE MUST MAKE HOME CONSOLES!!!" then this is about the best I can come up with based on what's happening.

That 68k for Wii U isn't just last month's number +47%, is it? Because Wii U hardware is simply up 47 percent for the entire year (as I interpret the statement). That would mean this particular month could be much higher or lower.
It's based on what the LTD was last year at this point versus what is was up through last month.

They may be pretty similar numbers since the system as a whole is kind of stagnant.

Tobor

or they could put their home console games on pc/ps/xb and make lots of money. A $99 home box is going to sell very little 3rd party stuff, or at least not enough to offset lost sales of their software not being on other platforms.

I agree completely, but thats not going to happen while Iwata is still in charge. Now if the next console flops...

Ty4on

They are last year's first ten months times 1.47 minus known total for 2014. 65-71k if we include error margins of 0.5% both ways.

Fedelias

Serious question here, is there/will there ever be space for 3 home console giants? I feel like almost every gen the "fight" so to speak has been between 2 consoles getting the large majority of the sales and the 3rd console barely getting any.

maxcriden

Kl

This would conceivably destroy their profits and brand. They'd have to say goodbye to hardware sales and royalties from third parties. You'd see a new Zelda every year but no more Splatoon or Pushmo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Serious question here, is there/will there ever be space for 3 home console giants? I feel like almost every gen the "fight" so to speak has been between 2 consoles getting the large majority of the sales and the 3rd console barely getting any.

Last gen was probably the most even when we look at the final sales, though that was highly phased in terms of when the consoles had success.

Tripon

Wii, PS3, 360 with a healthy PC market

Wedge7

Not surprised about SO at all. Felt like it had no real hype anywhere besides GAF, but then again, The evil within was a huge shock, so who knows.

I still bought the white SO bundle, but that was purely for the aesthetics of the system. Will probably sell the digital copy for cheap.

Glass Joe

Why can't Nintendo go high end? I think Nintendo games and a good supply of third parties would satisfy a lot of people. They keep staying away from current tech and third parties keep running away. They have not tried to be current since the gamecube.

Now, I know third parties treated the game cube like crap but casuals are gone. $99 won't get people to jump in. A steady stream of Nintendo games won't get people to jump in. They need to bow to third parties and completely revamp their approach. They may have to sacrifice profit for some money hats.

The people have spoken.

Nintendo can't go high-end because a large part of their audience are kids who can't afford to do that. Or parents who won't spend that much. "The people have spoken" in regards to the Wii U's *high* pricepoint, IMO. They also spoke with the 3DS which started terribly until a massive price cut. The original Wii had found its niche last gen in part due to its affordable price point.

It was only a "bomb" relative to the insane expectations of it being a Halo/Gears killer. Remember the infamous "Gears 2 will outsell Resistance 2 thread" Shane Kim quote thread? I think it started the Bear/Salmon meme on GAF.

I'm not going to speculate on the Euro sales of Sony's PS3 games, but Ratchet was not a big seller for any of last gen. And as I posted above, Sunset isn't doing bad in PAL territories, even in Germany, considering the One is just about dead there.

The point is SO doesn't have European sales to save it like Insomniacs PS3 titles, and I'd dispute SO isn't doing bad in PAL territories just on the evidence of XBO's flatlining sales in the region.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kl

This would conceivably destroy their profits and brand. They'd have to say goodbye to hardware sales and royalties from third parties. You'd see a new Zelda every year but no more Splatoon or Pushmo.

Are they making any money off of the Wii U, especially compared to how its limiting their software sales?

Serious question.

I understand the reluctance to drop an arm that was once profitable, but if it doesn't work anymore it's about as useful as Walkman is to Sony right now.

The handheld is clearly working though, at least as best as it can. That could change at some point, but currently speaking.

SparkTR

There was enough space, especially with all the investments and growth flowing into the console industry during and after the PS2 generation. But now I don't think there will be enough going into the future though. Everything just getting too expensive but without the new growth and investments. Nintendo or Microsoft will go first.

idlewild_

Yeah... that too. I think the top two titles for November will definitely be Smash Bros U and Dragon Age Inquisition though. Just my personal wager though.

Seems unlikely given that Advanced Warfare, 2 Assassin's Creed games, and GTAV are launching in November.

WillyFive

Last gen was probably the most even when we look at the final sales, though that was highly phased in terms of when the consoles had success.

Albeit one of them went and thrived with an entirely different audience that no longer exists on home consoles.

Glass Joe

That's also why I said that if I was in charge of Nintendo I wouldn't be making another home console.

There still seems to be a handheld market, so it makes sense to keep going with that for now, but at this point their consoles are serving as anchors around their sales instead of trampolines to propel them.

However, if they're like "WE MUST MAKE HOME CONSOLES!!!" then this is about the best I can come up with based on what's happening.

It's based on what the LTD was last year at this point versus what is was up through last month.

They may be pretty similar numbers since the system as a whole is kind of stagnant.

Ah okay, just double checking. Thanks.

A_Gorilla

Banned

When you think about, most Gens have been either about 1 console dominating while the other 2 are left in the dust, or 2 going head to head while a bunch of others try and feed off the scraps.

Last Gen: Wii was the clear king, while Sony and MS duked it out for second.

PS2 era: Again, PS2 the clear winning, GCN and Xbox fought over what was left.

PS1-Era: Mostly came down to PS1 vs N64 while the Sega Saturn, 3DO, and (snicker) Atari Jaguar fought over what was left.

16-bit era: Sega vs Nintendo, While NEC, Atari, and Neo-Geo fought for distant 3rd.

8-bit: AKA the Jerkass Monopoly Nintendo era, while Sega, NEC, and Atari struggled to even get their foot in the door.

Tobor

Kl

They've already said goodbye to third party royalties.

Glass Joe

Uh, what about last gen? The gen before (PS2/Xbox/Cube) I would have said the same thing but Wii/360/PS3 all did rather well.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I watched the full video, it's obvious they aren't using lethal ammo. After what happens in that gif, he continues running down the hill into the street where there are dozens of other officers who are trying to take him down physically. He keeps fighting them off and eventually breaks away and runs off. They finally catch him and he's taken away in an ambulance, all while yelling obscenities at both the cops and whoever is filming. He seemed okay from what I saw.

But yeah, I can see how people would get upset with the gif without context. He's obviously being shot with something, but it was either rubber bullets or paintballs, so he wasn't really harmed.

Just in case anyone else was wondering.

Thanks. Now I'm kinda laughing.

maxcriden

Are they making any money off of the Wii U, especially compared to how its limiting its sales?

Serious question.

I understand the reluctance to drop an arm that was once profitable, but if it doesn't work anymore it's about as useful as Walkman is to Sony right now.

The handheld is clearly working though, at least as best as it can. That could change at some point, but currently speaking.

Genuinely, I'm not sure. I'm sure someone much more numbers-savvy knows. That's not a deflection of course, but my understanding was that even Nintendo's weaker-selling hardware has generally helped them make enough to be worthwhile, between hardware itself, royalties, and not having to pay royalties to another publisher. So I'm speculating here and I'd be glad to be corrected if I'm mistaken. I do think a portable you can play on your TV doesn't have to be any significantly more powerful than a Wii U is (but is that already shooting for the moon?) as I don't believe graphics are of utmost importance to most Nintendo fans.

mo60

Seems unlikely given that Advanced Warfare, 2 Assassin's Creed games, and GTAV are launching in November.

I think the holiday effect may help smash a bit.It may or may not break a million in November in the US, but it will pull better number than Mario Kart 8 did in the US during it's launch month.

Wii u numbers shock me every month.

Why on earth are the sitting out black Friday?

Because they can't afford to lower the price anymore. The GamePad alone costs 100 dollars to replace. It was such a poorly designed console right from the start, and yet it's home to the best games of 2014. Go figure.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Last gen was all over the place.

WW Wii > 360 > PS3
Europe PS3 > Wii > 360
US 360 > Wii > PS3
Japan Wii > PS3 > 360

Appreciate your point, but hasn't the PS3 overtaken the 360 WW by now?

ec0ec0

Because they can't afford to lower the price anymore. The GamePad alone costs 100 dollars to replace. It was such a poorly designed console right from the start, and yet it's home to the best games of 2014. Go figure.
i still cant believe that they released the wiiu after the wii

maxcriden

Truly a cruel joke they've played on themselves, especially since even I will say the GamePad isn't typically integral to most games on the system. I still prefer the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

(also, you still owe me that exuberantly positive thread, Gonzo!)

Top Bottom