• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

DJIzana

Lord...when's gun be Xbox One's time...huh? November? Please Lord make it so...

Nope. It might be possible with Dragon Age and given how they seem to be close to EA with that title and maybe with COD but they also have to compete against Smash Bros, which has already outsold pre-orders for Mario Kart 8.

Culex

Banned
So 10 straight months this year of PS4 winning, and over a 1 million lead at this point in the US. It's straight up impossible for the Xbox one to at least tie now.

RE_Player

The way people at Microsoft talked about sales and statements made before NPD for October came out is just fantastic. Masterful way of trying to soften the blow of not being #1.

The real question is what is Microsoft going to do when they are actually the top selling console for a month? Insane parties?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so wii u hardware is fairly consistent with its performance overall this year. a little lower than the 50-55% i gave it for all of oct-dec, but november has the greatest potential for growth.

Eh, ymmv, but 37% is more than a little lower imo. If that holds overall for the quarter then it will end up closer to 1M for the quarter.

It's also around Dreamcast 2001 levels I believe, just from eyeballing some graphs.

I think November has growth potential, considering it how low it was last year; although for some reason SM3D world is seemingly completely forgotten when people talk about Y/Y comp. But I think December has more limited potential to increase because the number was (for the Wii U) quite high/good i.e. I don't really expect it to sell 650K right now, although November might give a better picture.

I think we might be getting a bit too hung up on the more minor quantitative aspects.

To me the system is at the point where it wouldn't really matter if it sold 55K or 85K this month, but that the overall message is that while the system responds to software, overall it's still not going anywhere.

Given that it's not really reasonable to expect Nintendo to keep doing the same thing they are and actually see a notable uptick using the same model next generation, we're at the point where they have to completely reinvent their strategy if they want to stay in the home console hardware business.

They're quite unlikely to be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft on the high end given that tends to be expensive and they don't have the same demographics. The slightly cheaper system with a new control scheme avenue doesn't seem to be working so hot anymore either now that everyone carries a great casual gaming device in their pocket all day and many have one on the coffee table to boot.

Looking at what's actually selling, it appears to be a mix of games that sell to a wide swath of Nintendo's most faithful audience, who generally seem willing to play on basically anything Nintendo releases, and some kids oriented games like LEGO, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity, who are going to be very price sensitive gamers (well, at least their parents probably will).

Given that anyone who doesn't buy almost every Nintendo game is unlikely to be happy just having a Nintendo home console, I think positioning their next attempt (assuming they're making one, which I believe they said they were) as a notably cheap system you buy in addition to whatever you are going to primarily play games on might be their best option. They could go after way more impulse buyers that way ("I want Smash, and I'll pay $150 to play it!") and cheap things sell very well to both kids and holiday shoppers.

Occam

I can understand you. I do it usually the same way and often hadn't bought games because of this. I want all my content on the disc, and not piecemealed.

I made an exception for Alien, but i still dislike it that both "bonus" missions got cut and are only available per download. In the past you would have unlocked content like this after the end of the game as a nice surprise... but yeah, todays gaming industry just sucks.

I have more games than I can play, so I'm in no hurry. No reason to support a shitty practice like this. Maybe there'll be a game of the year edition of Alien Isolation with all content on disc later on, then I'll buy that.

Mikey Jr.

The way people at Microsoft talked about sales and statements made before NPD for October came out is just fantastic. Masterful way of trying to soften the blow of not being #1.

The real question is what is Microsoft going to do when they are actually the top selling console for a month? Insane parties?

They are going to shout that shit from the rooftops. Dont you worry haha.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Hmm, you expect a decline for December?

I don't know I think that's too conservative considering it has been up since MK8.

In terms of HW impacting events you essentially have SM3DW (only on Wii U) and a $50 price cut, and some bundling from memory in 2013 (as well as some remnants of third party support, which I think helps in terms of perceived obsolescence risk)

This is against residual effect of MK8 and generally more fleshed out software line-up and Smash, but no price cut (and I suppose any negative impact of complete loss of core third party support).

From that I'd guess November is up quite a bit, but December is only up a little (vague metrics I know), with this ending up its peak calendar year.

I don't know.

Last year Nintendo seemed more aggressive with their bundle offerings - Skylanders Bundle could be seen between 220-250$ (though that was most likely to shift excess 8G inventory stock), targeting family audiences.

Now this year, Microsoft is offering Xbox One at 349.99$ with two games comparatively to last year at 499.99$ - 150$ difference shed in 1 year.

Nintendo seems to be playing it safe this holiday season.

They will have a better November due to Smash, but December could be equivalent to last year. I'm hoping not but that's what I am predicting.

I am also predicting a big adoption rate in amiibo figurines ;)

We'll find out next month 'cause there's no way they don't take November.

Aeqvitas

Surprised to see Evil WIthin and Borderlands so high, but it seems sales were overall pretty slow for the month for software (wasn't smash #2 only 500k?).

I think it is interesting to look how destiny has longer legs on xbox (I know, bundles, but no one seems to use that to say sunset should be much higher on the list).

Also the sales for sports games on XB1 are lower than last gen. That bucks the trend for most other multiplatform releases, where both next gens outperform last gen. I wonder if this is the EA access affect, as we do know that it exceeded EA's expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if most sports fans on XB1 used EA access for the discounts. Would be really nice to get more info on digital sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On the "Nintendo's 3DS million sellers" list that you quoted in the OP...

6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.41 million
7. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.36 million
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.42 million

look at the sales numbers. It appears in that order two times in the OP

i guess that it should be:

6. Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.42 million
7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.41 million
8. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.36 million

no!?
Quite possibly, I just copied the PR.

Well, I fixed the ordered list, but left the PR direct copy alone.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, is October a 4 or 5 week month again? I'm assuming 4 right b/c the first week of October is included in September's NPD? If so, the Wii U only declined slightly since September which had Hyrule Warriors, which isn't that bad I guess. However, it means Disney Infinity and Skylanders didn't do too much for Wii U hardware sales (maybe they will in Nov/December).

September ~18K a week for Wii U
October ~ 17K a week for Wii U

Nope. It might be possible with Dragon Age and given how they seem to be close to EA with that title and maybe with COD but they also have to compete against Smash Bros, which has already outsold pre-orders for Mario Kart 8.

there is also the GTA V Bundle + Little Big Planet Bundle

Compete against Smash Bros? We are talking console sales here, Nintendo doesn't compete anymore

GnawtyDog

Banned
None this month, courtesy of all the people that hassled Aqua last month.

I know...
dc6abcd09681ce13de178607d6be32e1428b9556_full.jpg

DJIzana

there is also the GTA V Bundle + Little Big Planet Bundle

Yeah... that too. I think the top two titles for November will definitely be Smash Bros U and Dragon Age Inquisition though. Just my personal wager though.

Compete against Smash Bros? We are talking console sales here, Nintendo doesn't compete anymore

Smash Bros will most certainly drive hardware sales. More than you think. Watch.

No Alien Isolation? USA i am dissapoint. Put down the rinse / repeat franchises for a while and buy the damn risk taking new IP will you.

Also not sure why Driveclub was expected to show up. Its a genre that seems super niche in US these days, it had a troubled launch and anyone with Plus who wanted it would have got it digital.

Sort of good to see TEW there but its way weaker title than Alien as survival horror, but you do get to shoot stuff vs hiding under desks i guess.
Their is a lot of first-person survival horror games out in the market compared to what The Evil Within tries to do.

@Niro, mostly agree, would respond more in depth but have to run.
I am also predicting a big adoption rate in amiibo figurines ;)
I think Amiibo will be good for generating revenue, but will largely be aimed at their (Nintendo-)core audience, so won't really end up moving hardware. But it's still a good way to increase monetisation of their current installed base.

QaaQer

That's the market. People don't buy the risky, unique experiences or "gameplay" focused titles. That's why the Wii U suffers.

They do, just not for retail and not for AAA games. And it seems with each passing year, the scope of aaa/retail gets narrower.

King_Moc

Banned
I wonder if word of mouth just isn't very good.

I really like Mario games and was not pleased with that title, and don't know many who are either.

Now, that's merely anecdotal, but I feel that evergreen's rely a lot on quality to keep them selling.

Also plausible.

The original DS one did pretty well for itself and that was a lot worse. I suppose it was the first 2D one i a decade or so though.

I wonder if word of mouth just isn't very good.

I really like Mario games and was not pleased with that title, and don't know many who are either.

Now, that's merely anecdotal, but I feel that evergreen's rely a lot on quality to keep them selling.
yeah i think the game just isn't very good, they had alot of juniors working on it iirc, i think ead should have timed the release better and put in a bit more effort, i think going with another artstyle would have done wonders for it also.

The original DS one did pretty well for itself and that was a lot worse. I suppose it was the first 2D one i a decade or so though.
yeah it was "new" when it came out and the ds sales propelled nsmb sales also, nsmb2 feels too samey and with the 3ds underperforming this really isn't surprising, i just thought it would have done a bit better though.

Wouldn't it be smart to look up first month numbers for previous Insomniac titles on PS3 before making such a ridiculous statement?

To be fair the game hasn't done great. Consider that, what, 70-80% of its sales will be in the US, where it's sold around 200+k and because of the time of year it released, it probably won't have any legs because there is so much else to buy.

You can't really think Insomniac will be banging their heads a little they didn't go exclusive on the PS4, game would have probably sold nearly double WW going by install base estimates.

Given that anyone who doesn't buy almost every Nintendo game is unlikely to be happy just having a Nintendo home console, I think positioning their next attempt (assuming they're making one, which I believe they said they were) as a notably cheap system you buy in addition to whatever you are going to primarily play games on might be their best option. They could go after way more impulse buyers that way ("I want Smash, and I'll pay $150 to play it!") and cheap things sell very well to both kids and holiday shoppers.

Wasn't that ostensibly the positioning of the Gamecube though?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wonder if 3D Land could ever go over 4,000,000 in US. MK7 definitely should, though.

About amiibo: I'd say part of the kids audience could be interested. I'm actually wondering if some of them could be interested in just the toys, without having a Wii U.

Insomniac first months since the start of last gen (for whenever we get an approximation of Sunset numbers):

Resistance: FOM - 286k (Nov and Dec combined)
Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD - 66k
Resistance 2 - 385k
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 100k
Resistance 3 - 180k

Don't see anything here for Ratchet: Into the Nexus.

To be fair the game hasn't done great. Consider that, what, 70-80% of its sales will be in the US, where it's sold around 200+k and because of the time of year it released, it probably won't have any legs because there is so much else to buy.

You can't really think Insomniac will be banging their heads a little they didn't go exclusive on the PS4, game would have probably sold nearly double WW going by install base estimates.

The game has had pretty decent legs over the past week in the UK (~60% drop w to w), which is the most comparable market, debuted at #1 in Australia as well, and charted in Germany, Sweden, and New Zealand. Wouldn't write it off just yet.

I wonder if 3D Land could ever go over 4,000,000 in US. MK7 definitely should, though.

About amiibo: I'd say part of the kids audience could be interested. I'm actually wondering if some of them could be interested in just the toys, without having a Wii U.
3dland should get to 4m imo, considering its up there with mk7.

amiibo is also for 3ds, which should help it sell regardless

NateDrake

My ex-fiance wants a Luigi Amiibo just because she likes him. She wants a Toad one as well. No purpose other than as shelf toy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wasn't that ostensibly the positioning of the Gamecube though?

I guess my feelings there would be:

1.) The GameCube did do a lot better than the Wii U.

2.) I was thinking even cheaper. Like a $150 launch and down to $99 quite quickly.

3.) There are more people who play games these days to potentially sell a notably cheap game device to.

Were I in charge of Nintendo I'd probably not even be launching another home console, but I'm just attempting to think of what someone could do if their marching orders were "You have to make another home console."

156828.gif

Top Bottom