• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
I believe blue dragon is nearish to 350-400k as of this npd, I imagine it will spike again during the holidays a bit though.
Didn't we get August sales? I have ~50k in mind, but I can't find where it came from. BD would need to be near the top of the charts to be doing those numbers, and it never has been.

Neomoto

BuzzJive said:
Carnival Games and MySims sold more than every third party PS3 game - and all but 3 3rd party 360 games. Even Boogie in it's second month sold better than most PS3 games. This whole third parties don't sell on Wii thing is getting old.

Does the Stranglehold mega-bomb prove that 360 software doesn't sell? No. Because it's just 1 point of data. So many people here are looking at essentially ZERO points of data and using that as "proof" that Wii third party sales suck. Should there be compelling third party Wii software by now? Yes. Is there? No. Quit "expecting" to see it in the top 10.

It looks to me like third party software is selling about what it should on the Wii. I'd love to hear some reasoning behind why Carnival Games and MySims should be charting higher than Bioshock and Skate.
Doesn't matter what happens. Since it's about Wii and therefore Nintendo people will find new things to bitch about. And if you think it true, this is a sad reality and not a post trying to be funny or sarcastic.

PkunkFury

Wii is also bound to have a huge software spike over the holidays, since a lot of the people who own the console are the type that will only get new games as gifts for the family.

I don't expect to see Wii software as front loaded as 360 games. 360's audience will have the chart toppers since they are in tune with what is good and when it comes out. The Wii audience picks and chooses games based on box covers and sales rep recommendations. The result is that software purchases, outside of the nintendo hardcore, should be more spread out among titles we really don't care to see sell and won't reflect in NPD's top 10

donny2112

unomas said:
I guess you missed the part where it says traditional?

Traditional = Realistic, PS2-style?

Okay. I wasn't approaching it that way, but if that's where you're coming from, I would agree. :) Miis have set a precedent, and I think the most successful sports games on the Wii will try to incorporate that styling and heavily advertise that fact. :lol

donny2112

jetjevons said:
When a 3rd party original IP sells a million+ on Wii of course!

You haven't attended the Media-Create Sales 101 course then. Any million-seller third-party game on a Nintendo console is a "non-game" by definition and, therefore, doesn't count.

donny2112 said:
You haven't attended the Media-Create Sales 101 course then. Any million-seller third-party game on a Nintendo console is a "non-game" by definition and, therefore, doesn't count.

Exactly. Therefore, to balance it out, 15 different original IP games all have to seel exactly 999,999 copies.

Also, the games can't have huge marketing campaigns, instant appeal, or basically anything that would be conducive to it garnering more sales, otherwise it would obviously sell well 'anyway', and therefore doesn't count.

m14

Jokeropia said:
Tiger Woods 07 and 08 Wii are selling about as well as the 360 versions worldwide (and certainly much better than the PS3 versions). Red Steel sold 1 million.
Those being the exceptions to the rule.

PkunkFury

m14 said:
Better, but only due to a lack of actual games.

There is no "rule". games are selling based on quality, advertising, and userbase. Wii and PS3 tie ratios are similar (this is excluding WII Sports) yet Wii has sold like 3 times more HW units than PS3. Wii sofware is doing well in comparison. We can compare games released on both systems all we want, but there will always be circumstances explaining why one version was preferred. It's the overall numbers that paint the real picture

donny2112

jetjevons said:
Launch games don't count.

Thank you.

1) Launch games don't count.
2) Established IPs don't count.
3) Games with Nintendo mascots don't count.
4) Non-games/Casual-games don't count.
5) Million-sellers don't count.

Anything I'm missing from the Media-Create Sales 101 class?

bud

Pureauthor said:
Exactly. Therefore, to balance it out, 15 different original IP games all have to seel exactly 999,999 copies.

Also, the games can't have huge marketing campaigns, instant appeal, or basically anything that would be conducive to it garnering more sales, otherwise it would obviously sell well 'anyway', and therefore doesn't count.

quick, write a fanfic about these outrageous events

sonycowboy said:
Those numbers are way off. I'll be providing some reporting early next week on these, but PS3 & Wii had almost identical tie ratios as of the end of last month.
Excellent. I still can't find the original post with the source I was talking about, but I think it was from a GameMetrics or GamerMetrics? Google searches with those terms and "tie ratio" aren't finding the relevant things either.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
donny2112 said:
Thank you.

Overhyped games that don't deserve it don't deserve it because they are overhyped.

Nolan.

donny2112 said:
Thank you.

Games with lots of wiiigaly waaagaly.

m14

For me, looking at this months figures has really emphasised that now is the right time for EA to enter the game. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

gkryhewy

Madden Wii sales were awfully close to PS3 sales in September (61k vs. 58k, according to that IGN spreadsheet). I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Wii version has better legs due to Wii hardware supply constraint and word of mouth on the family mode among casuals. I know some folks have ban bets on LTD sales by January - it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Wii version ends up with better sales.

donny2112 said:
Thank you.

Square-Enix games. Can't forget those.

m14

Jokeropia said:
In that case there are more "exceptions" than there are examples following the "rule". :lol
Barring golf games, sports gamers consistently shun the Wii. Fifa, Madden and NBA fans are all looking elsewhere, so I would re-affirm my opinion that Tiger Woods in the exception. Red Steel was just a buggy launch game to appease more serious gamers and the fact it sold well ultimately did more harm than good. I don't think it created a good impression on many gamers.

donny2112

Jaded Alyx said:
Square-Enix games. Can't forget those.

*slaps forehead*

Thanks.

6) Square-Enix games don't count.

birdchili

also - big tv sports fans will have been some of the first to upgrade to hd, given that the programming was hd relatively early in the game, and the higher resolution is of significant benefit when watching sports.

hd owners are going to take a better look at the hd consoles for various reasons. sd owners are going to take a better look at wii.

birdchili

donny2112 said:
If everyone who owned an HDTV actually knew how to distinguish HD content, you'd have a point.
people don't need to "get it" to understand that there's an "hd" on their tv box, and an "hd" on the ps3/360 box. yeah - they'll think they have hd in spite of not being hooked up right, but i'd guess there's a big correlation between hdtv ownership in the us and tv sports viewership.

birdchili said:
people don't need to "get it" to understand that there's an "hd" on their tv box, and an "hd" on the ps3/360 box. yeah - they'll think they have hd in spite of not being hooked up right, but i'd guess there's a big correlation between hdtv ownership in the us and tv sports viewership.

Japan has the highest HD penetration rate in the world.

Wanna wager a guess as to how the HD consoles are faring there?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
For NPD predictors, I ran across an article that said the 40GB was going to be in short supply.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6488196.html?desc=topstory

Supply expected to be tight for stripped-down model
By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 10/8/2007
OCT. 8 | U.S. retailers are excited about a new stripped-down $399 model of the PlayStation 3, but stores are anticipating supply will be tight.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Agent Icebeezy said:
For NPD predictors, I ran across an article that said the 40GB was going to be in short supply.

OCT. 8 | U.S. retailers are excited about a new stripped-down $399 model of the PlayStation 3, but stores are anticipating supply will be tight.

This is stupid if true. Really stupid

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
*slaps forehead*

Thanks.

6) Square-Enix games don't count.

You're forgetting the temporary Namco exception that applied when Tamagotchi Corner Shop did well on the DS... but I think that one may be gone again now that TotT bombed, Gundam SCAD Hammers did poorly on the Wii, and future Tamagotchi games didn't do quite as well.

birdchili

Pureauthor said:
Japan has the highest HD penetration rate in the world.

Wanna wager a guess as to how the HD consoles are faring there?
yeah, yeah:) i'm only making an argument for sports games - mostly madden, which is hardly likely to tear up the charts in japan.

donny2112

Agent Icebeezy said:

The article is from October 8th. I did find this part interesting, though.

However, sources say they have been warned by Sony reps that there will be production limitations on the new $399 PS3. Sony is expected to put most of its energy into generating its higher-end models, as they offer a better return on investment.

“This will be a marketing splash as much as anything else,” said one source. “It will get their name out there and show [consumers] that they are competitive with the other players. Inventory will be constrained, but [if customers can’t find the $399 PS3], maybe they’ll pay extra for another model.”

I thought Sony was losing less money on the 40GB consoles than the higher-end models?

Jokeropia

m14 said:
Barring golf games, sports gamers consistently shun the Wii. Fifa, Madden and NBA fans are all looking elsewhere, so I would re-affirm my opinion that Tiger Woods in the exception.
Tiger Woods and Wii Sports show that Wii buyers are more than happy to buy sports games that makes good use of the controller.
m14 said:
Red Steel was just a buggy launch game to appease more serious gamers and the fact it sold well ultimately did more harm than good. I don't think it created a good impression on many gamers.
Had it sold poorly it would've been used as an example of how "third party/FPS titles don't sell on Wii". There's just no pleasing some people. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Opus Angelorum said:
If true that is utterly retarded.

They apparently learned nothing from the past year if true. They deserve what they get.

No6

Jokeropia said:
Tiger Woods and Wii Sports show that Wii buyers are more than happy to buy sports games that makes good use of the controller.
So do you have numbers for TW? I'd like to see evidence of the Wii versions (both of them) doing as well as the 360 versions.
Had it sold poorly it would've been used as an example of how "third party/FPS titles don't sell on Wii". There's just no pleasing some people. :lol
And the NDF would say that it was a crappy launch title that got steamrolled by RRR/Wii Sports, and doesn't count.

PkunkFury

birdchili said:
yeah, yeah:) i'm only making an argument for sports games - mostly madden, which is hardly likely to tear up the charts in japan.

the biggest obstacle to sports games selling on the Wii is that most sports games have an established userbase that already exists on the other two consoles, since each game is usually a yearly update. Sports game support for Gamecube was dropped early, so people looking for a particular title out of next gen are already likely to turn to the manufacturers they are used to. Add to that the uncertainty of moving a traditional control scheme to the Wii in a game that people are accustomrd to playing yearly.

Wii will have to carve out its own market for sports games, and Wii Sports is the basis developers should build off of. There's really no reason for traditional sports gamers to look to the Wii for anything that would interest them

Agent Icebeezy said:

This shouldn't come as a surprise, they did the exact same thing with the 20 gig.

Top Bottom