• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think Konami and Square will take notice of these #'s and pay close attention to the next few months before deciding (if they haven't already) what to do with their PS3 exclusives. Unfortunately for Sony, it's not looking pretty...

ziran

sonycowboy / driley

Would it be possible to get accurate, up to date LTDs on all the systems?

This would be much appreciated by many people, thanks if you're able to do it, fair enough if you can't.

jonabbey

PS3 won't sell 2 million across November/December, no way, no how. I wish it were otherwise, but PS3 just has the stink of death attached to it, between the dripping disdain on hard core forums like GAF, and the rather complete lack of marketing and high price to the mass market.

Sony can't do much quickly about the first, but they should be able to do something about the second. For all Sony's problems with getting true AAA titles onto the platform (Resistance excluded), they have fallen down most on marketing the thing.

From everything we've been hearing, there'll be a lot of noise about Blu-Ray this holiday season, and a lot of noise about the PS3's price and Blu-Ray movie compatibility and etc. If Sony pushes marketing for Ratchet, Uncharted, Haze, Simpsons, etc., they should get something going, but they have to market the damn thing.

Marketing. Now.

JaseMath

Gadfly said:
you think people are ok to pay for BC if it is reflected in something physical but not if it is done through software?

And TBH, I don't think anybody will stop buying $400 PS3 due to lack of BC. How did it affect xbox owners?
I know I don't speak for everyone, but it's sure as Hell stopping me.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Prine said:
Fuck the hardware

THREE POINT THREE MILLION copies sold.

HALO fucking WASHES AWAY any fucking game IN 1 MONTH REVENUE. Big league boys, big league, now you prick Reggie. Where the fuck are you, you tosser

Its all about the money, and 360 brings the big bucks
:lol :lol :lol

open_mouth_ said:
I think Konami and Square will take notice of these #'s and pay close attention to the next few months before deciding (if they haven't already) what to do with their PS3 exclusives. Unfortunately for Sony, it's not looking pretty...

Yeah, it certainly will be interesting. Unless there's a significant spike in PS3 sales in OCT/NOV/DEC, I think its virtually gauranteed that all major PS3 releases will be pushed back into the second half of next year.

Good sales for ms, this was their megaton game. halo 3 only sold 200+ thousand systems there was a little truth to reggies statement? Watch how fast the sales slope off this month. you may think im crazy but in the past week or so i havent seen much movement of the game or game and system sold in tandem from shelves at the #1 store in the region. that marketing push helped alot, people loved the spectacle and got drawn in. as for how its going now /shrug.

Good month for the 360, Good month for the Wii(with their fake shortages keeping the system in demand lol), PS3 needs to pick up the slack.

D O W N said:
Apparently, Reggie said this:

"The Wii went up against the self-proclaimed 'biggest entertainment launch ever' and we emerged with our biggest month of the year.

They have fired their bullet, and our gun is loaded and ready to fire throughout the Holiday season'.
Where's that Reggie/Scarface pic when it's really needed?
It seems pretty obvious that Nintendo got some extra inventory into the channel for Sep
There was slightly less per-week than July and August.
Omar Ismail said:
Do this: Find the attach rate of the PS2 at all points of its life (in a graph). This number will act as the standard of effective user base. So let's say at the same point in life the Wii has an attach rate 80% of the PS2's attach rate at the same time, then the Wii's effective userbase is 80% of its LTD sales.
Directly comparing tie ratios at a certain age leaves something to be desired in terms of looking at the actual buying habits of the average owner. Shape of userbase growth matters. Much more of PS3's 11-month sales come from its first 3 months than was the case for PS2, so the average PS3 owner has had their system longer.

Andronicus said:
Good sales for ms, this was their megaton game. halo 3 only sold 200+ thousand systems there was a little truth to reggies statement? Watch how fast the sales slope off this month. you may think im crazy but in the past week or so i havent seen much movement of the game or game and system sold in tandem from shelves at the #1 store in the region. that marketing push helped alot, people loved the spectacle and got drawn in. as for how its going now /shrug.

Good month for the 360, Good month for the Wii(with their fake shortages keeping the system in demand lol), PS3 needs to pick up the slack.
parents don't buy christmas presents in september.

halo 2 hung around for a quite a while after it's launch, and i don't see any reason to expect halo 3 to be any different with it's blossoming multiplayer.

shipping 100,000 consoles a week isn't a shortage.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Andronicus said:

The effects of halo will be far longer than a month

Jax said:
this threads a monster, but where's the info on skate LTDs? I've read it sold 30k on PS3. How much did it sell on other platforms?

skate on 360 did 175

rs7k

I'm just surprised the PS3 has fallen this much, in a 5-week month. The $400 SKU will boost their numbers for sure, but if this was a 4-week month, the PS3 would probably be under 100K.

If it fails to register 250K next month, then you can seriously worry about it. But I'm expecting at least that.

Agent Icebeezy

rs7k said:
I'm just surprised the PS3 has fallen this much, in a 5-week month. The $400 SKU will boost their numbers for sure, but if this was a 4-week month, the PS3 would probably be under 100K.

If it fails to register 250K next month, then you can seriously worry about it. But I'm expecting at least that.

If next month is a 4 week month, most people will predict the ps3 under 200k. In september, it averaged 23,880 units a week, doubling that still leaves us under 200k

rs7k said:

If by "next month" you mean November, then definitely. If by "next month" you mean the next batch of numbers for October, no way. No 40 GB until the month's period has nearly ended, and for part of the month people were probably holding back waiting for it after it was announced for other regions. It could be a new monthly low.

pyros

drohne said:
nice to see a real console on top for once -- hopefully 360 stays strong through the rest of the year

those heavenly sword sales are pretty dismal. i wonder about the chances of a similarly lavish sequel :(

dream on my friend, dream on, the wii was only down by 27 thousand without it's stable of heavy hitters, what are you gonna do about SMG, it's great that the 360 did so well, but don't imagine the status quo is going to change.

btw. the wii is a real console, what you think doesn't matter, ten million people say you're wrong

Agent Icebeezy

pyros said:
dream on my friend, dream on, the wii was only down by 27 thousand without it's stable of heavy hitters, what are you gonna do about SMG, it's great that the 360 did so well, but don't imagine the status quo is going to change.

btw. the wii is a real console, what you think doesn't matter, ten million people say you're wrong

wii is going to sell what it ships, games have little bearing

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
It debuted at #1 in the UK.
That's what I was going to say. This week's PAL sales thread was kind of hilarious - a full page of folks (like me! *waves*) saying it was sent to die for those same reasons, and then it tops the charts. It may surprise here as well.

Raist

Banned
Jax said:
this threads a monster, but where's the info on skate LTDs? I've read it sold 30k on PS3. How much did it sell on other platforms?

almost 50 times the sales? jesu!!!

Basic mathematics am cry :lol

DevelopmentArrested said:
Um no. PGR4 was sent to die.
Too close to Forza and Sega Rally... in between Halo and Orange Box.
Honestly, I feel PGR sales will be pretty pretty low.

The timing for PGR4 was unfortunate, but Sega Rally has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you want to talk about a bomba....

Anyway, PGR4 should've come out in March. I'm a big fan of the series and I did pick up PGR4, but between Halo 3, Orange Box, and a little bit of racing game fatigue from Forza 2, I haven't even taken it out of the wrapper yet.

If we're throwing out early predictions, I think

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 350k
Halo 3 - 500k
Guitar Hero 3 (all systems) - 2 million (supply constrained)
Ratchet & Clank - 250k (it has to hit at least this much right? Madden did)
PGR4 - 125k
Ace Combat + Bundle - 110k
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (all systems) - 500k
Rockstar Table Tennis Wii - 100k

Hardware:
Wii - 420k
360 - 350k (20% drop on weekly average slightly offset by new bundles)
PS3 - 110k (with the 40GB launch spurring the last week to 2x previous weeks)

Gadfly said:
PS3 will sell 1 million Nov and 1.5 million Dec easy. I think dropping to $400 is HUGE.

This is assuming they can get enough 40G PS3s on the shelves. I will not be surprised if they sell out.

Wanna bet? You are WAY off. The 360 had a MUCH more appealing software lineup last Christmas (Ratchet+Uncharted <<< Gears sales) and sold 500k/1m over the same period. What in the world would propel the PS3 to even match those numbers, nevermind selling 500k more each month. Especially given the PS3's history of poor monthly sales.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Does anyone know the Wii attach rate? I also don't see much Wii software moving aside from Wii play. I feel that Nintendo is selling a lot of consoles, but not a lot of software. Of course this will pick up when bigger games come out, but will it be able to match DS software sales?

I have evidenced very strong goodwill for the PGR series, but expectations for sales of PGR4 should probably be held in check. Lots of good racers on the system especially in the back catalog (including a still very good $20 PGR3); those who must limit spending will prioritize Halo 3; and it has a cleaner but less-flashy presentation that doesn't excite NFSU/MC fans waiting for ProStreet.

I'd certainly love to be wrong about this, though.

Kenka

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 350k
Halo 3 - 500k
PGR4 - 125k

Hardware:
Wii - 420k

Your numbers are a bit high concerning Wii. And if we can be two to play that game :

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 600k
Halo 3 - 700k
- Wii version : 320'000
- PS2 version: 1'100'000
- X360 version : 540'000
Ratchet & Clank - 280k
PGR4 - 225k
Ace Combat + Bundle - 140k

Hardware:
Wii - 390k
360 - 310k
PS3 - 190k
DS - 400k
PSP - 220k

BboyDubC

clashfan said:

Warhawk isn't even in there. But this is proof that either 360 is not the place for RPGs, the RPGs all came out at the WORST time of the year, or RPGs in general just no longer are doing what they need:

Blue dragon - 33,752 (second month)
Eternal Sonata - 37,810

Can we get LTDs on BD? The japanese developers are just stupid for not bringing these out earlier. 360 owners would have eaten these alive in the June/July months. Releasing ES in September? Straight retarded.

Jax said:

almost 50 times the sales? jesu!!!

you fail at math.

Why should Warhawk be on there? From playing the game I've seen that it's had a healthy start, but it's not like they count the PSN version sales in the NPD, which account for a heavy amount.

Kenka said:
Your numbers are a bit high concerning Wii. And if we can be two to play that game :

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 600k
Halo 3 - 700k
Ratchet & Clank - 280k
PGR4 - 225k

Hardware:
Wii - 390k
360 - 310k
PS3 - 190k
DS - 400k
PSP - 220k

There will be two threads for this next month! Anyway, I think you are selling the 360 GH3 short in comparison to the PS2 version....

Kenka said:

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 600k
Halo 3 - 700k
Ratchet & Clank - 280k
PGR4 - 225k

Hardware:
Wii - 390k
360 - 310k
PS3 - 190k
DS - 400k
PSP - 220k
you think PS3 GH3 will only sell 40,000?

BboyDubC said:
Warhawk isn't even in there. But this is proof that either 360 is not the place for RPGs, the RPGs all came out at the WORST time of the year, or RPGs in general just no longer are doing what they need:

360 may not be the place for JRPGs. Western RPGs, it is definitely the place for them.

Flakster99

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 350k
Halo 3 - 500k
PGR4 - 125k

Hardware:
Wii - 420k

Not to shabby. I'll add my own out of boredom. ;)

Software:
Orange Box 360 - 500k
Halo 3 - 450k
Guitar Hero 3 (all systems) - 1.8 million - 360>PS2>Wii>PS3
Ratcher & Clank - 325k
PGR4 - 175k
Ace Combat - 140k
Tony Hark's Proving Ground (all systems) - 400k
Rockstar Table Tennis Wii - 110k

Hardware:
Wii - 480k
360 - 455k
PS3 - 135k

BboyDubC said:

Eternal Sonata - 37,810

Can we get LTDs on BD? The japanese developers are just stupid for not bringing these out earlier. 360 owners would have eaten these alive in the June/July months. Releasing ES in September? Straight retarded.

Did you forget that Oblivion has moved around a million units on the 360, and that Two Worlds managed to have respectable sales despite how terrible it is?

Japanese RPGs != all RPGs. Additionally, I would bet that these sales are not too different than sales of similar titles on the PS2. Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts sell boatloads, but very few other Japanese RPGs even make a dent.

Wii software sales are pretty bad. Pretty really bad. Wiiplay doesn't count, it's basically a controller. Prime 3 should do better, still my GOTY.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
BboyDubC said:

Eternal Sonata - 37,810

I have a feeling Japanese RPGs are not as popular as they once were. Not even Hack did that well. Atleast I can say I did buy Eternal Sonata.

donny2112

I'm only up to page 6 :)lol ), but I'm really surprised that the Wii was able to maintain its August rate. I thought that Japan's recent slowdown would be a harbinger of slowdown elsewhere, but that seems to not be the case. I'm also surprised that the DS was up, because September is usually a slowdown before the Q4 buildup.

unomas

Banned
underfooter said:
Wii software sales are pretty bad. Pretty really bad. Wiiplay doesn't count, it's basically a controller. Prime 3 should do better, still my GOTY.

Agreed, but people will come in defending tie ratios using Wii sports and Wii play in the argument. Both are pack ins, take those out of the tie ratios and were talking abysmal software sales. PS3 Madden still outsold Wii Madden with 3 million less consumers to gobble it up on hardware that costs twice as much.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Kasumi1970 said:
I have a feeling Japanese RPGs are not as popular as they once were. Not even Hack did that well. Atleast I can say I did buy Eternal Sonata.

Didn't even FF12 sell less than FF10, despite a much larger PS2 userbase?

Jrpgs are in decline everywhere.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
unomas said:
Agreed, but people will come in defending tie ratios using Wii sports and Wii play in the argument. Both are pack ins, take those out of the tie ratios and were talking abysmal software sales. PS3 Madden still outsold Wii Madden with 3 million less consumers to gobble it up on hardware that costs twice as much.

Do you really want to go there re: PS3 software?

Top Bottom