• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Kintaro said:
I honestly can't understand it. How can the Wii keep selling like this? What the hell are people buying it for? What the hell? It took a 3.3 million megaton bomb to the face and came out smiling basically saying "Ok, you tried really hard this month, I'll let you squeeze by. Good shot."

This month tells me it's not even going to be close this holiday season. The gap between Wii/DS to 360 to PS3 is going to be laughably bad.
The holidays will be closer because of Wii supply.

And the Wii is selling because of all the continued media hype surrounding Wii Sports. I've seen the fucking thing on three tv shows in the last week alone. It also apparently heals the invalids. Wii Fit will indeed, be fucking huge.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
beerbelly said:
What IS the PS3 userbase buying? 139,000 for Heavenly Sword (about 4 weeks of sales) is pathetic. It'd be lucky to hit 400,000 LTD.
Not if Sony starts to bundle it with PS3 (as it did with Resistance and Motorstorm and apparently with is doing it with HS)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the "Wii is a fad" people almost have a point, but the big sticking point is that the fad won't end. It's the popular product now...people have to have one, which explains why it sells without big software releases.

It's riding a wave and it shows that software doesn't always drive hardware. Maybe Microsoft should take notice. :lol

sony....sigh

_leech_ said:
:lol :lol :lol

With Mass Effect coming next month.... Microsoft wins Next-Gen '07.

No. Mario Galaxy is going to be huge. If Wii Fit launches this year then Microsoft doesn't stand a chance in hell. Also, we have no idea how many Wii consoles Nintendo is sitting on. They could very well have a surplus.

X26

Banned
wiiiii.jpg

Lefty42o

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Actually, looking at the software ssles compared to the hardware sales of the 360, Reggie was right. Only around 8% (Rough math here!) or so of Halo 3's sales were from new hardware owners, the remaining 92% of sales came from people who already owned the console!

Considering the fact that there is no shortage of 360 consoles to go around, the 360's H/W sales should be higher really (Though I reckon quite a few more new owners did jump in to get Halo 3 by picking up 2nd hand 360s, but we'll never know whether this is true or not...)

last year i believe they sold 250,00 if that. so if one game can double those sale numbers thats called moving hardware.

debating what percentage was new owners or what not is pointless. if it did not m,ove systems like reggie claimed the numbers would be more in line with its trend, 190-300 thousand a month.

so guys stop spinning. the game sold systems.

GenericPseudonym said:
The average customer will buy around Chrsitmas, not in September.

I don't think that Halo 3 will show next month the same strentgh of this one: it is a typical hardcore game for excellence on a system that almost every hardcore gamer own. Result: incredible first month, but not incredible legs. In other words, it will have legs, but I expect Halo 3 to have sold this month already 60-70% of its LTD. And it's optimistic, because I suppose there will be another 1.5 million to sell and it's already too much...

Amir0x

Banned
oh, too bad Reggie. Guess Halo was something worth combating

good thing Mario Galaxy will put Wii into the seventy billions

manxor

So... september NPD closed on the 29th? ...or the 30th?
Halo 3 sales only counts for the first 5 days of release, right? Or 6? I'm confused.

Frillen

titiklabingapat said:
I don't think there was even a release of any Wii software this whole September.
¨

There were 19 titles released for the Wii during September, according to Gamestop's release list.

Gaborn said:
You're right, it's not "good" it's GREAT because this makes it more likely month by month that the next generation will be CHEAPER than 600 damn dollars.

Yeah, it'd be much better if everyone went with poor quality systems with gimped feature sets. :/

Absinthe said:
No. Mario Galaxy is going to be huge. If Wii Fit launches this year then Microsoft doesn't stand a chance in hell. Also, we have no idea how many Wii consoles Nintendo is sitting on. They could very well have a surplus.

Wii would indeed outsell 360 this Xmas with unlimited supply. 360 should easily sell 2+million in Nov/Dec combined. It's probably going to be a dead heat because of limited Wii supply (Nintendo talks of doubling supplies, they are currently at 100k a week, so figure 200k a week = 1.8 million for Nov/Dec).

Crushed

Fry Daddy
titiklabingapat said:
I don't think there was even a release of any Wii software this whole September.
Cosmic Family (17th)
DDR: Hottest Party (25th)
Dewy's Adventure (25th)
Fishing Master (18th)
MySims (17th)

...Wow, you're right. Like, nothing was released.

TheLegend

Y2Kev said:
I think the "Wii is a fad" people almost have a point, but the big sticking point is that the fad won't end. It's the popular product now...people have to have one, which explains why it sells without big software releases.

It's riding a wave and it shows that software doesn't always drive hardware. Maybe Microsoft should take notice. :lol

sony....sigh
Software is still driving the Wii, it's just that it was released last year and happens to be bundled with the system. :p

USC-fan

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
I really doubt Sony can turn the PS3 around in the US to become anything more then last gens Xbox/GC there.

Japan...who knows. It's doing GC there too.

At least Sony still has Europe.

Considering all of this the PS3 will end up like the N64.
It the same with the xbox 360. Its biggest game comes out and it barely beats the wii with no big releases this month. If there were more wii in the stores it would have out sold it.

Both the xbox 360 and PS3 are failures. No way to spin these numbers anymore....

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, it'd be much better if everyone went with poor quality systems with gimped feature sets. :/

If it plays video games I want to play then it has all the features it needs.

Everything else is just a bonus.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
"Ma'am, squad leaders are requesting a rally point. Where should they go?"

"To the bar. Drinks are on me."

RattleHead_ said:
Wii Sports is THE killer app, that alone is what is continuing to sell wii's.

What's incredible is that Wii is NOT showing the slow down of Japan and Super Mario Galaxy is coming and it will destroy everything in that month. And what matters, it will have GIANT legs.

itsgreen

_leech_ said:
Just noticed:

PS2 Madden has better legs than 360 Madden? :|

PS2 has larger installed base, 360 users are more likely to buy the game sooner. So it can be explained. Joe Schmoe walking in to Best Buy seeing Madden for his PS2 and buying it...

Lefty42o

Banned
_leech_ said:
Just noticed:

PS2 Madden has better legs than 360 Madden? :|

thats speculation cause first the ps2 has 10 times the 360's base yet the 360 had 4 games top 150,000 units.

only ps2 title sold 25,000 more units than its ps3 versions is a toss up when you see no real big ps2 titles out and the 360 had alot of software and halo 3 selling good.

SW Sales
360 HALO 3* MICROSOFT (CORP) 1 3.3 million
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 2 282K
NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 224K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 205K
360 SKATE ELECTRONIC ARTS 5 175K
360 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 173K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 167K
360 BIOSHOCK TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) 8 150K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA 9 141K
PS3 HEAVENLY SWORD SONY (CORP) 10 139K

Those Wii software numbers suck. How can system consistenly sell 400k-500k and it's biggest selling title is Wii Play. I'm sure Corruption did well, but for a console pushing half a mil a month thats low.

TheLegend

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wii would indeed outsell 360 this Xmas with unlimited supply. 360 should easily sell 2+million in Nov/Dec combined. It's probably going to be a dead heat because of limited Wii supply (Nintendo talks of doubling supplies, they are currently at 100k a week, so figure 200k a week = 1.8 million for Nov/Dec).
I thought they said double what they had last holiday for launch. Anyone have the quote handy?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Amir0x said:
oh, too bad Reggie. Guess Halo was something worth combating

good thing Mario Galaxy will put Wii into the seventy billions

Considering how many Wii consoles were in the stores last month I think they did take Halo 3 seriously.

This is the biggest Wii month if I remember correctly.

Belfast

Y2Kev said:

sony....sigh

Yeah, but isn't that really how a fad works? Fads tend to have massive sales for a period of time and then suddenly drop off. That may or may not be the actual case with the Wii, but we won't really know if it's a fad or not until we see something like that happen.

But really, Sony...yeesh.

The Playstation family is still fairly strong once you total them all up together, though.

The real travesty here is Heavenly Sword. :\

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Even with its string of horrific sales data, I think it's still too early to count the PS3 out. It's too early to say RIP. We'll see how many folks are on the sidelines waiting for a sub $400 PS3. Maybe there aren't that many? Maybe they already bought a 360? I dunno, but it's a bit premature to say "it's over."

Geezer said:
On top of that, the Wii is supply constrained and the 360 is readily available.

I'm a PS3 fan, so I'll be leaving the thread now. 119.4K YEAH BABY:lol
UNTIL NOVEMBER NPD!
:lol

I really find it funny when sworn enemies cheerlead each other in the face of the bigger threat :p

Very disappointing second month for Metroid Prime 3. Anyway, I hope it has some kind of legs through the holidays. He certainly didn't drop off that much this month... I also hope us PAL gamers do this game justice when it comes out over there (I certainly will)...

BTW, from sonycowboy :

[360 Bioshock] - All Editions = 150K
[360 Halo 3] - All Editions = 3.3M
[360 Madden 08] = 173K
[360 Stranglehold] = 104.2K
[PS3 Heavenly Sword] = 139K
[PS3 Warhawk] = 45K
[PS2 Madden 08] = 205K
[NDS MySims] = 92.4K
[NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass] = 223.7K
[WII Metroid Prime 3] = 167.4K

Y2Kev said:

sony....sigh

Somebody doesn't know what "fad" means.

Top Bottom