• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Switch is the top selling hardware in the US this year so far, Nintendo top publisher; neither shows signs of changing anytime soon

I don't understand how you can sit there with a straight face in light of this. I mean I do know (it's delusion) but it's still quite shocking.
Yeah... too bad the "Oh I can't even" melodramatic acting and ad nauseam fallacy doesn't work on me. Still haven't answered my question by the way. Also...

The games which kept the Switch's momentum up were Wii U ports, it's poetic irony.
Kirby Star Allies - 2.56 million sold as of March 2019
Octopath Traveler - Exceeded 1.5 million copies as of January 2019
Mario Odyssey - 14.44 million sold as of March 2019
Arms - Over 2.1 million sold as of September 2018
Splatoon 2 - 8.7 million sold as of March 2019
Fire Emblem Warriors - 1 million sold as of April 2018
Smash Ultimate - Over 13.81 million sold as of March 2019
Xenoblade 2 - Over 1.73 million sold as of March 2019

But I guess the games that kept the Switch's momentum were Wii U ports....

Yeah... too bad the "Oh I can't even" melodramatic acting and ad nauseam fallacy doesn't work on me. Still haven't answered my question by the way. Also...

What's the highest selling game on Switch? I noticed you omitted that.

Shocking why that is.

What's the highest selling game on Switch? I noticed you omitted that.

Shocking why that is.

The games which kept the Switch's momentum up were Wii U ports, it's poetic irony.
goalpost.jpg

It's not a goalpost move, it's a Wii U game.
What is "it"? Be specific please because I listed multiple games. Also, here's two more to add to the list:

Mario + Rabbids - 2 million sold as of September 2018
Yoshi's Crafted World - 1.11 million sold as of March 31, 2019 (2 days after release date)

Why do you care so passionately if people play WiiU ports on their substandard Nintendo gaming platform?
It's not that, there's a lot of lying in the Nintendo community, a lot of it.

They preach to no end about how games are so important but they let the Wii U die when its Nintendo enforced library is largely the same not only because of ports but just the games they're making and releasing in general. They refuse to admit that they're bandwagoners, riding media and communal popularity.

If it was about the games the Wii U would have been a smashing success, it's really as simple as that.

What is "it"? Be specific please because I listed multiple games. Also, here's two more to add to the list:

Mario + Rabbids - 2 million sold as of September 2018
Yoshi's Crafted World - 1.11 million sold as of March 31, 2019 (2 days after release date)
Mario Kart 8, bud.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
It's not that, there's a lot of lying in the Nintendo community, a lot of it.

They preach to no end about how games are so important but they let the Wii U die when its Nintendo enforced library is largely the same not only because of ports but just the games they're making and releasing in general. They refuse to admit that they're bandwagoners, riding media and communal popularity.

If it was about the games the Wii U would have been a smashing success, it's really as simple as that.

The WiiU console was an abomination of design and literally made playing games uncomfortable. I still have mine, and tried to go back and play XCX and I just can’t deal with that pos gamepad.

What would please you the most: Nintendo abandoning their new hybrid console standard and releasing hardware like ps5 or going third party altogether?

The WiiU console was an abomination of design and literally made playing games uncomfortable. I still have mine, and tried to go back and play XCX and I just can’t deal with that pos gamepad.

What would please you the most: Nintendo abandoning their new hybrid console standard and releasing hardware like ps5 or going third party altogether?
No it's really not, it's a bit odd sure but it's no abomination, especially with the Pro controller. When push comes to shove it's largely the same experience as the Switch you just can't take it more than 20 feet.

The games basically look the same, some of them are quite literally the same, and their output in terms of the type of game they're creating are largely the same.

I like that you're at least getting on board with the hardware side of things, you're not as crazed as the rest of the monolith.

Animagic

Banned
No it's really not, it's a bit odd sure but it's no abomination, especially with the Pro controller. When push comes to shove it's largely the same experience as the Switch you just can't take it more than 20 feet.

The games basically look the same, some of them are quite literally the same, and their output in terms of the type of game they're creating are largely the same.

I like that you're at least getting on board with the hardware side of things, you're not as crazed as the rest of the monolith.

I hate the WiiU and the gamepad. Yeah, you could get a pro controller and sidestep some of that, but essential game functions were constantly depending on the gamepad.

On hardware, I go the other way with this: I think Sony and Microsoft are making a big mistake not making hybrid consoles.

Last edited:
The Splatoon 1 vs. Splatoon 2 comparison that Ulysses 31 showed already disproves this notion.

Way to conflate dissent with being "crazed".

Codes 208

Gold Member
Id argue hardware and software are equally important when considering a system. Take the xbox one for example, it launched as both the most expensive and weakest of the two HD siblings and almost immediately got spanked for it when it was getting 720-900p ports while ps4 was consistently hitting 1080p.

The switch launched as an even weaker system but with an impressive gimmick of being a hybrid system. Its what the wii u shouldve been in many aspects. The wii u failed not because of lack of games but due to mass confusion of the hardware itself. (I mean it even had some impressive third party support at launch)

As for software, its more important in the long-run because why do we keep playing these systems? Games, more games and new games. Which is why the xbox continued to falter this gen. On top of the screw ups of its launch it just couldnt push out games that would help push sales in the same way games like horizon, uc4 and GoW did for ps4 or what botw, mk8:d and splatoon 2, and pokemon have done for switch.

Further proof of longevity via games:
Ps3. Launched as the most expensive and it was the worst hardware to work with but by the end of the gen it was able to pass the 360 (even if just barely) for second place with the help of its roster (which the 360 began to lack in the second half of last gen)

Knock yourself out. Streaming is just today’s VR push
Right, so much so that Nintendo's talking about it too.

Oh and even worse the President of Nintendo talking about possibly exiting the 'console' market.

A rude awakening is coming, Sega is coming, streaming is coming.

Oh and even worse the President of Nintendo talking about possibly exiting the 'console' market.

Not sure how this supports your argument that streaming is a hybrid console.

Animagic

Banned

I’ll see myself out of this hobby then if this becomes the standard.
It’s just the hot thing people are talking about because it allows companies to perpetually charge you for something instead of you buying it, and owning it, and playing it when you want.

Last edited:
I’ll see myself out of this hobby then if this becomes the standard.
Well I would start taking on a new hobby because this reality is fast encroaching and Nintendo is likely the first to walk the plank.

Console games are software. Consoles are hardware.
Semantics for the same general concept which allows the same feat while keeping the home experience at its peak.

Last edited:
Semantics for the same general concept.
It's not semantics because this is what Animagic said originally:

On hardware, I go the other way with this: I think Sony and Microsoft are making a big mistake not making hybrid consoles.
Making hybrid consoles means making hardware that allows you to play games on the big screen and on the go. Streaming doesn't magically turn my PS4 Pro into a home console/portable hybrid.

In addition, streaming requires non-hybrid hardware to make the service work.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you care so passionately if people play WiiU ports on their substandard Nintendo gaming platform?

Fanboys/haters are gonna hate. The better question is why people feed these trolls instead of ignoring and moving on. So many threads on here are people taking the bait and said trolls responding repeatedly (see this and the VR is a Fad thread for recent examples).

prag16

Banned
But they keep falling further and further behind, when the next generation systems release there's going to basically be three generations of compute separating them.

Nintendo should just go third party, they're delivering games in the most incompetent fashion possible just to sell people a gimmicky piece of hardware. It was fine when it was GC/Wii graphics against the 360/PS3, it was fine when it was the Wii U graphics against early 8th gen games but the Switch is basically producing Wii U level graphics again and we're at the end of the 8th gen where things have radically progressed and about to drop into the 9th generation.

They're hitting the boundaries of unacceptability. Release a handheld and put your games on it, release them on PC, Xbox and PlayStation for the home market in 4K or something. They charge $300 for this shit in 2019, it's absurd.
Nah, they're doing fine. There's room for multiple approaches. Where I do agree though, is that for what the system is offering, $300 is way too high a price for what the hardware offers. But with sales doing as well as they are, who knows when we'll see a reduction.

LMJ

What is it about good news regarding one particular console platform or publisher or it tends to send a select few posters on this forum into mad frenzy of attacks and vitrol?

I'm not going to name names, but we all know who I'm referring to they've had numerous posts in this thread alone lol

I just don't understand what is it about good news in regards to one platform holder that sends you folks into such a tizzy, is it some blind silly loyalty that you feel you owe your console of choice is it some bizarre agenda or grudge that you hold perhaps the platform holder in this case Nintendo did something you disliked in the past?

The switch has made some excellent moves, it's a great design And has some truly fantastic games considering the low sales of the WiiU it makes no surprise that a number of ports are currently selling so well on the very popular switch...

But don't worry, the playstation the xbox and the PC will all still be there at the end of the day so you can rest easy lol

Fanboys/haters are gonna hate. The better question is why people feed these trolls instead of ignoring and moving on. So many threads on here are people taking the bait and said trolls responding repeatedly (see this and the VR is a Fad thread for recent examples).
Ironically, the fact that said person got all in a tizzy about the Switch's success ended up bringing more attention to this thread by keeping it at the top of the thread index and passers by wondering why this thread is getting so much activity.

prag16

Banned

The second and third highest selling games on that list have predecessors on Wii U that are extremely similar to the point that I'd very nearly call the Switch iterations enhanced ports more than full blown sequels. And you conveniently decided not to list MK8.

For Wii U owners who already played all major first party games on that platform, the Switch arguably doesn't offer a whole lot (inb4 somebody posts a long list of games I don't care about... I did say "arguably" for a reason). I personally don't have a Switch for this exact reason. I'm not buying a $300 piece of hardware strictly to play Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
The second and third highest selling games on that list have predecessors on Wii U that are extremely similar to the point that I'd very nearly call the Switch iterations enhanced ports more than full blown sequels. And you conveniently decided not to list MK8.

For Wii U owners who already played all major first party games on that platform, the Switch arguably doesn't offer a whole lot (inb4 somebody posts a long list of games I don't care about... I did say "arguably" for a reason). I personally don't have a Switch for this exact reason. I'm not buying a $300 piece of hardware strictly to play Mario Odyssey.

I got mine because I wanted to play Breath of the Wild and was happy to shelve the WiiU. I just went for it and hoped for the best.

I’ve skipped most of the WiiU ports because I played most of them already.

I mostly play AA or smaller games on the Switch. Just started playing Phantom Doctrine and Spelunker Party

BlackTron

Gold Member
It's the Wii soccer mom and elderly thing all over again.

I know a guy playing RDR2 on PS4 lately, he's still enthusiastic over his opinion that Switch is his favorite console of all time. You're being hyperbolic.

All of my thirty-something year old adult male friends have a Switch and it's their most played platform. These are people I know first-hand went through the motions from NES to FF7/MGS, Dreamcasts, launch PS3s, the 360 era of Halo, currently own beefy gaming PCs, in short, nerds I've played Starcraft and Half-Life with in a basement over LAN.

The difference may be that presently, all of these people have lives. Jobs, wives, kids, GFs, and active lifestyles.

Switch is the official worst single system for basement dwelling recluses with a 4k TV. What it ISN'T is a platform just for soccer moms and the elderly. What a joke.

it's because it's a cataclysmic waste of time, money and energy trying to get modern games and engines to run on a decade old computational platform not to mention people sparesely purchase their games on Nintendo's platforms because why in the hell would they? And that's exactly what happens, the Switch is side-pieced and they buy those games on these other platforms.

Why are they bothering to do these ports now? You think they went through the hassle of bringing over Witcher 3 because the market says it will fail? Delusional. We were talking opinions before, but isn't it known that software sales on Switch are healthy? Developers don't really care how much effort it takes as long as it SELLS. This is why different versions of the same game were common on SNES and Genesis. Whatever it takes to monetize will happen.

Your statement is true of the Wii U but not Switch. Sounds to me that you don't think it should succeed, so you're just mad people are stupid enough to make it a success. I could be more sympathetic if Nintendo was taking anything away from you, but you still have the freedom to play games as high-fidelity, expensive, and hi-res as you want. Why don't you go do that instead of be mad that Switch owners are having fun?

Why would you choose to play this grossly inferior version of the game when it's dramatically better served on PlayStation, Xbox and PC?

Because some people want to play their games, instead of just feel fuzzy that the best version is miles away from them tucked safely on a shelf.

prag16

Banned
I got mine because I wanted to play Breath of the Wild and was happy to shelve the WiiU. I just went for it and hoped for the best.

I mostly play AA or smaller games on the Switch. Just started playing Phantom Doctrine and Spelunker Party
There are definitely legitimate reasons to own a Switch no doubt. I disagree with a large portion of what DynamiteCop is claiming in this thread, however he was definitely correct in the area of Wii U ports being instrumental in keeping the momentum at least until Mario Odyssey dropped, and probably beyond. I'm not defending the rest of his assertions, especially not the part about the Switch being totally worthless just because it has the "worst version" of various games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yep. I had a decent dry spell most of last year in terms of stuff I really liked, but I've done a ton of gaming on my Switch.

Looking through my library on my Switch and listing only exclusives (including Wii U ports):

Loved/Really Liked: BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Hyrule Warriors DE, Collection of Mana, Pokemon Let's Go, Tetris 99

Liked: Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Yoshi's Crafted World, NSMBU Deluxe, Arms, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Puyo Puyo Tetris

And then there's all the indie/retro stuff I don't like playing on big screens like the NES games in the online app, Undertale, Deltarune, Into the Breach, Blaster Master Zero, Graceful Explosion Machine, Binding of Issac, Shovel Knight collection, Sonic Mania, Celeste, Gris, Golf Story, Kamiko.

Also some stuff I put time into and ended up not liking: Mario Rabbids, Minecraft, DQ Builders and a few others.

Upcoming purchases/likely purchases are: Mario Maker 2 (preloaded), Link's Awakening, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword, Animal Crossing, Panzer Dragoon and maybe Astral Chain.

So I'm clearly getting a ton of usage out of the Switch, and it's a secondary platform I use less than my PS4 Pro and sometimes less than my PC too (I play a lot of games, I'm not one of those Era types that doesn't game and just complains about gaming all the time!). Others have different tastes and have little interest in all or most of what I listed. To each, their own.

Clarissa

Banned
Just be happy for Nintendo and their fans. Don't need to rain on their parade. We should be happy that console gaming is doing so well!

Fuck mobile gaming though. :)

He still hasn't told me that if it's not about the games.. then why is the Switch selling?
You don't get it dude. It sells because it's POPULAR!

"So why is it popular then?"

Err, because people want to play games on the go!

"I thought the hardware was crappy though?"

Err.... It's because they want to play Nintendo's games!

"So they are selling because of the games then?"

ERRRRRRRRRR

That's enough of this grandstanding... the number of times you spike the football for no reason is embarrassing.
He still hasn't told me that if it's not about the games.. then why is the Switch selling?

It's not about the games but it's about the WiiU games.. the fuck is that argument?
I already explained that it's a consensus around hardware, media enamorment and acceptance of the platform itself, hive-mind mentality of zealots one upping each other about how it's so great. It's groupthink hyperinflation by people continually reassuring themselves that it's great which they continually bounce off of others.

It's not the games, you're getting a Wii U continuation and experience in terms of games with a hardware reimagining, and if it was about the games the Wii U would have been a success. What all of this has shown is the shallow nature of the Nintendo community, you people literally didn't buy the platform because you were told not to, you were told it was terrible by gaming media, or that it was confusing and no one knew what it was etc.

Everyone knew exactly what it was, you didn't bandwagon with it because you were told to bandwagon against it. The Nintendo community has shown itself to be so monolithic in terms of decision making.

The lot of you waited 5 years to be sold the same general game experience you could have been getting since 2012. It's pathetic, the denial is sad and what's worse is the craze over games which were not only on the Wii U but conceptually spawned from the Wii U in not only ports but new games and sequels.

It's insanity, they reimagined the Wii U and found a way to sell it to you. At the end of the day that's the reality.

Last edited:
Everyone knew exactly what it was, you didn't bandwagon with it because you were told to bandwagon against it. The Nintendo community has shown itself to be so monolithic in terms of decision making.

The lot of you waited 5 years to be sold the same general game experience you could have been getting since 2012. It's pathetic, the denial is sad and what's worse is the craze over games which were not only on the Wii U but conceptually spawned from the Wii U in not only ports but new games and sequels.
I have had a Wii U since 2014 though. Now what?

Top Bottom