• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Think it could have adaptable tactus style buttons like this?

tactusgif.gif
That would require Nintendo to use a more malleable plastic screen. From the looks of this, the NX Console's controller has glass.

Think the console will be a disaster if they go with no buttons, why won't nintendo just make something normal that 3rd party devs can get behind?
Wii U controller was a reversion to Dual Shocky standards and it put everyone to sleep and became their biggest console flop.

Lol yea this is crazy. How the fuck do you narrow down a singular, leafless tree? And who's to say someone isn't using a keyboard with a Swedish layout outside of Sweden?

This theory makes sense though... How many third parties do you think Nintendo gave out NX controller prototypes to? And out of those third parties, what would be the likelyhood of one of them being Ubisoft? The company that owns Massive.

Ubisoft has always been a day one supporter of Nintendo consoles.

Jonboy

I mean, I still think it's theoretically possible to create haptic technology that could work properly. Whether it is actually anywhere near being something that exists is another matter, but if you could create local haptic responses (as in, the response is not uniform across the entire screen) I don't see why you wouldn't be able to create multiple individual buttons
They have a similar tech already. iPhone's force touch is capable of detecting presses and giving feedback in specific areas of the screen. I'm talking more about being able to locate the buttons while still looking up at your game. It's second nature with physical buttons bc we can feel where the controller is raised and the shape of the button. With haptics, it's only going to activate with a press which first requires you to press down...and in the case of a controller, you'd need to press down in a specific area. So until you press down, the entire area will feel smooth like a screen giving you no tactile feedback to locate the "button."

hwy_61

Banned
No, Iwata specifically ruled out a single-device hybrid. At most, there will be a separate handheld that can play the same games as the console (& possibly double as an NX Console controller if you wanted to). This controller isn't the NX Handheld itself, but rather a controller for the NX Console.

Ah gotcha.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Detective-GAF almost has me in tears reading these tree investigations like The Witness. This is beautiful.

krang

I know I should reserve judgement, not final retail build etc., but this just doesn't look good. People have gotten bored of quirky, but unfortunately Nintendo seem to persist.

I had a conversation with a workmate who enjoys Nintendo, about this. I said that maybe it really is time they drop out of making consoles. He said, "but I love Mario Kart and Zelda!", and I said, "those games would still be amazing on Xbox and PS", to which he failed to argue a reason why they need a Nintendo console.

It's an argument that's been had to death, but I just can't believe they wouldn't make a stupid amount of money going multiplatform.

Wow. Would you believed it if you had heard that Nintendo would have been the one to phase out the analog stick and physical buttons on a home console? And at a time when they needed to regain goodwill?

-Horizon-

Hypothetical if true, then maybe not everyone shares NINTENDO's vision.

Either they are excited and want to share it, or they hate the design and hate how games play on it.

I'm betting this controller is also some form of hand held that syncs with the console for remote play, and on the go gaming for apps based games.
I still want to say its a handheld. Even though people say its the controller for the console. But I don't think that disproves that its not the handheld which can also act as the controller.

Shouldn't it be a lower floor since it's reflective what's above it.
So first floor then? Because the trees in that one pic don't seem to be that tall.

Antifaith

Neo Member
I don't know why I keep hoping that Nintendo will just release a console with a traditional controller.

I'm not a fan of this design, but will hold judgement until I see the retail product and get more information.

VenomBoss

Banned
You guys do realize why they chose not to have any buttons right?

Even implimenting iPhone 6 haptic feedback touchscreen controls.

Nintendo know that kids born today most likely have never played any games apart from their smartphones.

So in order to tap into this market they need to have a controller that is dumbed down for these kids else they will not know how to play a game with buttons. They are used to touchscreen only input. The barrier Nintendo feels is too high.

Also by having no buttons they can easily import games onto their smartphones rather then develop for two different control inputs. Nintendo doesn't care about the man child fans of the NES days. They want to recapture the kids market again.

More gimmicks. What if you want to play a fighting game or traditional games?

Nintendo just doesn't get it if this is true. It looks like they'll be competing with smart phone games based on the controller and guess what? Everyone already has a smart phone.

A powerful system with a good controller like the pro controller, first party Nintendo games and 3rd party support. Is it really that hard? Apparently it is.

It's ok, you just have to buy the "Super Special Ultra Pro Controller" for an extra $59.99 and NXtreme Rumble Pack for $29.99 to get the most out of some sweet Samurai Shodown

Think the console will be a disaster if they go with no buttons, why won't nintendo just make something normal that 3rd party devs can get behind?

It's a risk, but at the same time some kind of gamble makes sense for Nintendo. If they just make a console like the PS4 with the same or weaker power, it'll be difficult to convince people to bother with it whether it gets the third-party games the PS4 gets or not.

Peltz

People said the same thing about the Wii Remote, then the nunchuk was revealed.
I was 100% on board with Wii and Wii U.

If there's no similar (nunchuck) like expansion on this controller, well, I fear the worst for Nintendo.

I really wish Nintendo had some sort of other innovation up its sleeve besides just messing with the controller each generation though.

They make the best controllers in my opinion, but this gen has shown that controllers don't necessarily sell hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom