• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gives Wii U a life cycle of 4.5 years, Damned respectable.

Well, it wasn't much of a "life", except maybe for 2015 where Wii U pretty much rocked software-wise.
But hey, it's definitely longer than most people expected.

Isn't Wii U also ending production this year as well?

This is so weird to me. :/

Where was that ever mentioned?

Also, people who say it'll be a handheld:
c78b87c711.png

Basically confirms that NX is both a handheld AND a console, or at least will have a version of each.

Mato

I'm glad I just bust my load on a new PC. I'm too old to cope with all this and I'm done waiting.

Hylian7

The hell are they thinking? So Zelda is delayed to 2017 and E3 will focus on it?

I hope they have a major Metroid game, preferably by Retro Studios. I don't want to say "doomed", but honestly what the hell are they doing?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not at E3? That's more surprising/disappointing.

I hope it - or the first device for this platform - is a home box.

Neku89

NX in March 2017 is a bit weird, but understandable. No NX at E3 is just plain wrong... Doesn't that make the NX the only (modern) console with no E3 showing?

They must have stuff to show at E3 then. Stuff they're reasonably confident in, confident enough to leave with no new consoles new, no hardware reveal, no playing Zelda till 2017. They're not gonna leave us fucking barren for another year and another holiday season. Right?

HeelPower

So nintendo continues to play it their own way.

So not even a "digital event"? I very much doubt this console will have anything to do with the "hardcore" gaming.

Or that the NX is a family of devices & the handheld may be coming out first.

Which is a horrible idea. Brand recognition and ease of use is a BIG THING in household gaming. Making it a brand name with 3-4 different iterative devices that you can get/need to get is an awful strategy.

So they don't show a platform which will release next year in one of the biggest gaming conferences in the world. Did Nintendo exec smoke or something?

whipihguh

Banned
Unless Nintendo has a surprise lineup of Wii U games for 2016, that NX launch better be the most spectacular system launch I've seen in my life.

Oregano

WTF are you doing Nintendo!? If it's not at E3 that implies it's being announced after that point so seriously WTF.

Hydrargyrus

It should be a completely new concept because the release schedule, after or at the same time than PS4K, losing the holidays, is pretty crazy

Kinda more relieved and a bit more confident in their new platform thanks to this news as it means the system and its biggest launch software won't likely be rushed out just to make the holiday season. Also seems to confirm LoZ at NX launch, too.

E-Cat

Also, I don't know why people make predictions when it comes to Nintendo.

No matter how logical your prediction may seem, this is Nintendo. It'll be wrong.
No, the reverse of logical applies when it comes to Nintendo. That is, in a way, logical.

NeOak

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase NX in either format, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and bring the NX to E3 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

0/10

This meme stopped being funny a looooong time ago because it was so spammed.

Anth0ny

is this the first time a major game platform was not shown off at the e3 before it was released?

what does that say about e3?

or is nintendo just insane?

It's almost like absolutely no work has been done on anything in the past year. Like, there's no fucking line-up after Star Fox.

3020118-5562455887-artic.jpg

Goodnight, sweet prince.

El-Suave

This means no Nintendo at E3 at all probably - what would they be able to show if not NX? Probably just a small Direct...

Ansatz

Ehh if NX and Zelda skip 2016 then I expect to see megatons at E3, Retro's game for example being a Wii U title for this holiday.

Will it be revealed through Nintendo Direct then? They haven't had a decent one since Iwata passed, so I thought E3 would be it. Having to wait passed it seems crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom