• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

MUnited83

For you.
After going through many pages of this thread I don't see any actual evidence of this "white supremacy" claim. If someone could please post something of substance that would be great. Otherwise all I see is the same old tactic of labeling everyone that is Republican as a racist.
You either didnt actually look, or you are a dumbass that wouldnt call someone in a KKK atire burning a cross yelling "kill all black people" a racist.
Check yourself.

After going through many pages of this thread I don't see any actual evidence of this "white supremacy" claim. If someone could please post something of substance that would be great. Otherwise all I see is the same old tactic of labeling everyone that is Republican as a racist.
We have everything except an image of him wearing the white cowl and cloak. The reason many Republicans (including former republican presidents) are voting for Hillary over Trump this election is because the current Republican (Trump) platform is based entirely on racism and xenophobia. I don't know what else white supremacy would be, the Trump campaign even uses old white supremacist slogans.

And of course, Palmer Luckey vocally and financially supports this platform that's entirely based on white supremacy.

Unison

That's pretty awesome. Giving up dozens of sales to stand up for what they believe in.

I support their right to give up hundreds of dollars to demonstrate what they believe in. That's pretty standard in election seasons, really.

1. Women with an extreme libertarian understanding about society where people, regardless of systematic or systemic barriers (which they probably contend do not exist), should have ability to pull themselves up by their boot straps.
2. Women with conservative nuclear family understandings about what it means to be a demure woman, etc.

Other than that... I can only speculate.

Also I'd argue that in the alt right specifically, there is monetary support and recognition for a person (from the groups that the alt right hates) who is willing to support them and give them cover so their white supremacy and misogyny isn't that blatant to the casual observer.

That article also revealed that Scott Adams is an alt-right asshole. Great.

I've been seeing this guy's name on here for the last couple days and every time I confuse him with Adam Scott and think "oh god no."

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Did I say that seriously tho

I like being facetious, and not all non-serious posts need a /s. In that case, it was me being facetious. Palmer really does seem like the spineless, submissive type. It's a stereotype of well, nerds, but Palmer just oozes of it.

You seem to have taken it personally though, after reading some of your previous posts. So I apologize you've had to feel that way.

Sorry, sarcasm is hard on the internet sometimes, especially when another poster genuinely posted that Luckey was "playing a character."

So sorry I took your comments to seriously.

You didn't even read the OP?

His GF, that is a outspoken GGer and Trump Supporter. He has retweeted and favorites her racist tweets before.

Can't get my head around this, well, when you support pure bigotry, being a woman that actively support a movement based on harassment on women, is not too far fetched.

jay

At least the super rich can use money freely to influence elections.

Can't get my head around this, well, when you support pure bigotry, being a woman that actively support a movement based on harassment on women, is not too far fetched.

People being surprised that women are part of gamergate surprises me. People actively support their own oppression in most places and cultures.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I highly question whether you read this thread then.

FStop7

Banned
Imagine posting something along the lines of creating dumb memes on a resume.

I mean when it comes down to it they're not that much different than propaganda posters or Chinese "big character" posters in terms of what it is they do, it's just that turning image macros into real political tools is new territory.

Dai101

Banned
Being Republican doesn't make you a white supremacist and that reductionist way of thinking only hurts discourse.

Are we sure? Because usually that party only benefits rich, white, straight males. Rich preferably.

Ahh fuck her too then.

By the way, I thought Gamergaters are against women in the gaming industry? How come a woman would be in that group?

I have been steering clear of any GG bullshit so I dont know much about it

I ask the same when the likes of charles barkley and stacy dash do this

giphy.gif

I don't have an answer.

Some of what Palmer has posted under that alt is pretty disgusting but nothing about that stuff will factor into which VR headset I will buy.

Ooooo.... K......?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I doubt it. There's a huge difference between having a view and investing money into promoting that view, especially when it comes to how consumers evaluate the companies they're buying from. The same thing happened with Chic-Fil-A, but they're obviously far from being the only company with conservative social leanings. They got heat for investing time and money into organizations that advocate against marriage equality.

Cosigned it when they were trying to sell their ideas to the r/the_donald userbase.

I understand that. So we have Milo endorsing NimbleRichMan post in r/the_donald to support Nimble America. A forum that Milo is a moderator on.
We know that Milo is a racist. We also know that Nimble America was set up to troll Hillary. From what I can see Milo was not a member of Nimble America. What I'm trying to find out is apart from Nimble America being set up as a disgusting meme site. I can't see any direct evidence that it is also advocating white supremacy. Can someone help me find it.

BiggNife

There were a ton of gamergate posts, a bunch of posts like one that was implying black people are racist and posting an inflammatory video, etc. Tons and tons. I thought about screenshotting earlier when they were up but had a ton of work to do.

Couple of other screencaps from the OT thread (credit to kai3445)

kOH289z.png

(in reference to Milo leading a harassement campaign against Leslie Jones because she dared to be in a female-led Ghostbusters movie)

QItN8LL.png

But you're in a thread that you know is serious. So...it's on you discern your intention. Not on us to try and figure what your text means.

Eh, it's not as fun for me to directly say 'he's a ball-less, spineless coward who hides behind others.' But I can see why what I said can annoy others.

Sorry, sarcasm is hard on the internet sometimes, especially when another poster genuinely posted that Luckey was "playing a character."

So sorry I took your comments to seriously.

Yeah, no worries...I went through your post history since your reply seemed really personal, and you were dealing with people who were saying he was playing a character.

The only character Palmer played, was the one he publically displays. His case is one of hiding behind usernames and other people in the 'online' world.

brett2

Read the article in the OP. Then read up on the alt-right. Then get back to us.

I read it. Looks like some that support Trump are racists? OK, so that means they are all? Anything from Trump, Trump's staff or Luckey specifically? I must be missing it.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
Here's a question: Since I know many have decided to not support Oculus after this, myself included, would anyone reconsider if facebook actually did drop Luckey from the company? Just curious, I'm really not sure how it would effect my decision actually.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I highly question whether you read this thread then.
I don't think k anyone really hated on the Republicans at all, just the extreme right, trump, and lucky did they?

It's fine to be any political stripe, I'd say most people would agree on that and then agree to disagree on policy which usually is a good thing as it makes ideas better.

IlGialloMondadori

Gold Member
Here's a question: Since I know many have decided to not support Oculus after this, myself included, would anyone reconsider if facebook actually did drop Luckey from the company? Just curious, I'm really not sure how it would effect my decision actually.
Would definitely change my mind.

I read it. Looks like some that support Trump are racists? OK, so that means they are all? Anything from Trump, Trump's staff or Luckey specifically? I must be missing it.

Are you attempting to argue that Trump and Trump's staff isn't racist?

There's low-information, and then there's whatever this post is. I honestly don't even know where to begin. Maybe this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, no worries...I went through your post history since your reply seemed really personal, and you were dealing with people who were saying he was playing a character.

The only character Palmer played, was the one he publically displays. His case is one of hiding behind usernames and other people in the 'online' world.

K1GidBQ.gif

I think most people would especially if they were quick about it

I personally don't care about VR, but I doubt that many developers would come back. His name was too closely tied to the device for the damage to be undone.

Depends if his severance deal would still let him collect some sort of royalty payments or not.

Mcdohl

I hate Trump.

Therefore I don't like this guy anymore.

But I don't get the boycotting part.

Going as far as boycotting him because he doesn't agree with my beliefs is taking it too far imo.

J.K Rowling has better words than I do for this.

But yeah, I guess devs are free to not support Occulus as well. It's a slippery slope, let's all be careful and try to not fight fire with fire.

Ferrio

Banned

I was already on a shakey opinion of Oculus due to their buisness practices even though originally I was 100% sold (I regrettably have a dev kit). I don't think I'd come back at all after this even if facebook cans him. Software support is already meh IMO and this might put a dent in it for quite a while.

see5harp

Ooooo.... K......?

Plenty of artists and musicians I like say stupid ass shit and believe shit that doesn't align with my opinions. Personally I judge them based on their art or product. If I choose to buy a Vive then it'll because there isn't enough software support for the Oculus, or that I dislike the closed garden marketplace, not because this dude wants to campaign against Hilary Clinton. That has nothing to do with whether I want to buy a piece of electronics.

I hate Trump.

Therefore I don't like this guy anymore.

But I don't get the boycotting part.

Going as far as boycotting him because he doesn't agree with my beliefs is taking it too far imo.

J.K Rowling has better words than I do for this.

But yeah, I guess devs are free to not support Occulus as well. It's a slippery slope, let's all be careful and try to not fight fire with fire.
But since he's donating to these groups, your money is going to these groups.

shamanick

Mmmmmm, no, no we shouldn't. I'll take Free Speech with all its worts and blemishes before I'd succumb to the tyrannical oppression on display in many other regions of the world...dont tread on me, thanks

There is a difference between free speech and speech that incites violence. Free speech in Canada exists, although there are laws against the latter. Understanding nuance isn't a particular strong suit of your nation, however (see also the 2nd amendment)

Top Bottom