• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Here's a question: Since I know many have decided to not support Oculus after this, myself included, would anyone reconsider if facebook actually did drop Luckey from the company? Just curious, I'm really not sure how it would effect my decision actually.
I would be more likely to hang on to my Gear VR in that case, otherwise I am looking to sell it and pick up a Daydream headset at the earliest opportunity.

I would probably not have gotten an OR in the first place. I think the Vive is a better, more open product.

Dartastic

I hate Trump.

Therefore I don't like this guy anymore.

But I don't get the boycotting part.

Going as far as boycotting him because he doesn't agree with my beliefs is taking it too far imo.

J.K Rowling has better words than I do for this.

But yeah, I guess devs are free to not support Occulus as well. It's a slippery slope, let's all be careful and try to not fight fire with fire.
The boycott is simple. Palmer Luckey has views that I find abhorrent. Therefore, I do not want to support a product that he created. By buying an Oculus product, i'm implicitly supporting someone who has views I find abhorrent. Developers who are boycotting Oculus at this point almost certainly feel the same way. They don't want to support someone who holds these kinds of beliefs. It's not really that hard to understand.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I mean, the guy is coming off as a huge douche, but boycotting the Rift does nothing to hurt him. He's already made his money.

theWB27

I hate Trump.

Going as far as boycotting him because he doesn't agree with my beliefs is taking it too far imo.

But yeah, I guess devs are free to not support Occulus as well. It's a slippery slope, let's all be careful and try to not fight fire with fire.

The money you give enables him to support his racist views.

So if you don't want to enable racists...don't support them or their product.

See that's what I assumed the general attitude was. There's no point in discussion issues or debating points.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrum...tell_me_why_trump_is/?st=itg1tali&sh=2dd64518

If you don't think that's enough...you're ok with it. Because you're now cognizant of what makes him racist.

Ferrio

Banned
See that's what I assumed the general attitude was. There's no point in discussion issues or debating points.

If you honestly don't believe Trump and what he stands for is racist, then yes there's no point in discussion, you're being willingly ignorant.

Nafai1123

Banned
As I elaborated on last night, I'm not sold on the "white supremacist" aspect.... but putting that question aside, funding an alt-right troll movement looks pathetic, and is damning on its own.

The alt-right movement is unequivocally white supremacist, so by supporting or funding an "alt-right movement," he is directly funding a white-supremacist group.

brett2

Every major Republican in my lifetime (going back to Reagan) has been labeled a racist. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone?

Jebusman

Banned
I mean, if Facebook completely cut all ties with Palmer, and we knew for a fact that any future sales of Rifts (or their successors) in no way benefited Palmer, I would see no moral qualm in buying one. There are obviously many people behind it's production, development, etc. that stand to benefit from it's sales and may hold different views than him.

As of right now though, with Palmer still being a figurehead of the technology at the company itself, essentially their representative or mascot, Facebook has to understand that people aren't going to support their product until they do "something" about it.

Every major Republican in my lifetime (going back to Reagan) has been labeled a racist. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone?

Have you ever actually stopped to think about WHY that is?

It seems people need a refresh. This has nothing to do with Palmer being Republican, all Republicans being racists, or because he is supporting Trump. It is because he is financially supporting an organization affiliated with the likes of Milo, 8chan and the_donald. Providing funding to run a secret campaign of shitposting memes (really, stop a moment and think about that.)

Coming in here and saying "Oh, you just don't like Republicans" is missing the mark. This isn't a simple donation to a political party people disagree with. He is financially supporting the worst aspects of that party. And the stated reason for doing so? For laughs.

Here is a reminder of the caliber of people he is associating with.

b3d6375582b72abf9431ed19b587027d.jpg

dude has been a lowkey shitstain for a while. this is his girlfriend:

https://twitter.com/nikkimoxxi

7cRS8MB.png

3V8c4Sj.png

kOH289z.png

QItN8LL.png

BiggNife

I hate Trump.

It's more than not agreeing with his beliefs. It's that he is funding racists who are sending death threats to people. Feels like you're missing the forest for the trees here.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
If you honestly don't believe Trump and what he stands for is racist, then yes there's no point in discussion, you're being willingly ignorant.

Oh but he doesn't REALLY mean what he says, he's just saying stuff, he could ACTUALLY believe it all. Let's go roast Hillary for every little single thing she has ever said in her entire life though!

Salmonax

Given that the Facebook acquisition made him a near-billionaire, he can probably fund his racist views seven ways from Sunday regardless.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The republican party has been supporting racist policies since they adopted the southern strategy decades ago. It's not that odd.

theWB27

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrum...tell_me_why_trump_is/?st=itg1tali&sh=2dd64518

I'm gonna keep throwing that you.

Given that the Facebook acquisition made him a near-billionaire, he can probably fund his racist views seven ways from Sunday regardless.

Then don't give him new money. Even rich people go broke when their income is non-existent.

jay

I hate Trump.

A slippery slope towards what?

It is odd how a major political party is racist, yes.

Codeblue

You're right, because there's no room for discussion or debate. Trump makes it overwhelmingly clear how he feels about minorities. His own party called out his comments as racist. This isn't up for debate, this isn't a grey area.

I don't see what the "point" you think we should discuss is

If you establish that the Trump campaign/platform is a metaphorical pool full of turds, and you see a bunch of people swimming in a pool full of shit, you have to assume that they either:
  • Like swimming in shit
  • Are too dumb to realize they're swimming in shit
  • Shat in the pool

Why else would they even be in proximity of a pool full of turds?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Those were just a build-up to accepting Trump's candidacy. I mean seriously, read what that guy said in his Presidential run announcement and tell me that isn't racist from the get-go.

I have seen that post before. You are the only one to bring up anything valid in this whole thread. Finally.

You haven't been paying attention then.

ronin_cse

Neo Member

It's almost like there has been a trend of the Republican party becoming more and more socially conservative over the years and catering more towards white america? Weird right?

To be fair I don't think the other Republican candidates have actually been racist knowingly, maybe some had some old beliefs that colored what they said but I doubt any actually made any policy to discriminate against certain races.

Trump however IS overtly racist in his past behavior, what he has said his beliefs are, what he has said, and what he is running his campaign on.

I hate Trump.

What exactly do you mean by fighting fire with fire, in this case?

I hate Trump.

No one is asking for Palmer to not being able to express his opinions, which is what J.K. Rowling is defending on that video, even if is downright repulsive bigotry, people are saying: "Those is where your ideals stand for? Sorry I can't support your products anymore", which is quite different and totally fine.

In short, Palmer Luckey has all the right in the world to has those opinions, and I have all the right in the world to not buy his products due to those ideals.

Imo, it's been discussed at length in ot.

i cannot see a way where one can support trump and not be racist. I mean, you'd have to be completely ignorant of his fuckery and racism to vote for him.

I wanna hear a way you can support him and his ideas, be ok with his alt right fanbase.

There's just nothing to debate imo.

Nanashrew

Banned
It seems people need a refresh. This has nothing to do with Palmer being Republican, all Republicans being racists, or because he is supporting Trump. It is because he is financially supporting an organization affiliated with the likes of Milo, 8chan and the_donald. Providing funding to run a secret campaign of shitposting memes (really, stop a moment and think about that.)

Coming in here and saying "Oh, you just don't like Republicans" is missing the mark. This isn't a simple donation to a political party people disagree with. He is financially supporting the worst aspects of that party. And the stated reason for doing so? For laughs.

Here is a reminder of the caliber of people he is associating with.

b3d6375582b72abf9431ed19b587027d.jpg

He also follows Mike Cernovich, a rape apologist. He's also another prominent member of GG similar to Milo.

Armaros

I can't believe we have whitewashing of Trump's outright racism and bigotry with 'well other Republican were called the same'

Amazing

jay

To be fair I don't think the other Republican candidates have actually been racist knowingly, maybe some had some old beliefs that colored what they said but I doubt any actually made any policy to discriminate against certain races.

Reagan knew what he was doing when he popularized the welfare queen. At best, previous candidates were nonracists playing off of the understanding that the general populace was racist.

brett2

It's almost like there has been a trend of the Republican party becoming more and more socially conservative over the years and catering more towards white america? Weird right?

Trump however IS overtly racist in his past behavior, what he has said his beliefs are, what he has said, and what he is running his campaign on.

And yet, based on the latest polls, Trump is polling better with black and other non-white groups compared to any other Republican Presidential candidate. What if Trump gets elected because enough non-whites vote for him to swing the election? Because it's possible.

Mcdohl

But since he's donating to these groups, your money is going to these groups.

The boycott is simple. Palmer Luckey has views that I find abhorrent. Therefore, I do not want to support a product that he created. By buying an Oculus product, i'm implicitly supporting someone who has views I find abhorrent. Developers who are boycotting Oculus at this point almost certainly feel the same way. They don't want to support someone who holds these kinds of beliefs. It's not really that hard to understand.

I get it, that we would be enabling them.

But, for example, recently I learned that the Neverhood/Earthworm Jim creator is an homophobe. And today I also learned that the Dilbert creator is also pro-right. As much as I hate their political ideas, I like/appreciate their work. Should I just stop liking their work? These kind of pseudo witch-hunts will lead to pseudo censorship.

Imagine a boycott is successful, and you send him to misery...he''s just gonna resent society even more. We're giving him a taste of his own medicine (discrimination).

Maybe I'm too idealist or naive, but I don't think we're giving him any real message like that. Those kind of people feed on your anger.

IMO, it would be better if after he went through all that effort to fund some shit, it just...failed (if it succeeds we have a much larger problem then).

Again, maybe I'm being too naive :)

I hate Trump.

J.K. Rowling is specifically talking about people who want to ban Trump from speaking engagements in the U.K. That's a very different thing from continuing to buy Oculus products. Donald Trump has a right to free speech, with very minimal restrictions of the "yell fire in a crowded theater" type (though the U.K. is more restrictive than that, both in terms of libel and in terms of hate speech--that's a separate discussion though). Palmer Luckey doesn't have the right to force you to buy Oculus products. You have a choice in the matter, and you get to not buy Oculus products for any reason you want, including "it's too expensive," "VR makes me sick," "it only comes in the colour black and I wanted a red one," and "I don't want to give my money to someone funding a pro-Trump organization and I don't need an Oculus Rift to live so it's an easy sacrifice."

But, for example, recently I learned that the Neverhood/Earthworm Jim creator is an homophobe. And today I also learned that the Dilbert creator is far-right. As much as I hate their political ideas, I like/appreciate their work. Should I just stop liking their work? These kind of pseudo witch-hunts will lead to pseudo censorship.

Imagine a boycott is successful, and you send him to misery...he''s just gonna resent society even more. We're giving him a taste of his own medicine (discrimination).

Maybe I'm too idealist or naive, but I don't think we're giving him any real message like that. Those kind of people feed on your anger.

IMO, it would be better if after he went through all that effort to fund some shit, it just...failed (if it succeeds we have a much larger problem then).

Boycotts, whether personal or organized, happen for many reasons. Sometimes it's so you can change someone's mind. But sometimes, it's just because you don't feel comfortable giving someone money. If I were getting married, I would try not to buy a wedding ring that used conflict diamonds. I am under no illusions that my single act will stop the flow of conflict diamonds, but if I can make a choice that doesn't fund acts of war, all other things being equal (or even worse than equal, depending on how much I care about this one issue), I'll make that choice.

It's not really any different from saying, "I'm going to buy this TV from Costco instead of Walmart because I think Costco has better labour practices." Your purchase won't kill Walmart, and they won't notice one fewer TV being sold. But you get to give your money to people whose business practices you support, or at least support more than the other guy.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is going to sound silly but is 4chan a safe place to visit? I kind of assumed it was borderline deep web stuff and never went. Didn't know 8chan even existed.

Nafai1123

Banned
I can't believe we have whitewashing of Trump's outright racism and bigotry with 'well other Republican were called the same'

Amazing

It's especially amazing when prominent Republicans have outright said that some of Trumps comments are racist (Paul Ryan).

And yet people are still trying to play this false equivalency game. Hilarious.

Seiru

Banned
If Oculus fires him/he resigns, I will have no problem continuing to buy Oculus products. If not..well, I hope Valve has some cool VR stuff to show off at their dev days.

Cystm

Done with the Rift. Racist POS will not get a dime from me.

Has our lord and savior John Carmack spoken out against this idiots stance? Please? Tell me he has.

BiggNife

But, for example, recently I learned that the Neverhood/Earthworm Jim creator is an homophobe. And today I also learned that the Dilbert creator is far-right. As much as I hate their political ideas, I like/appreciate their work. Should I just stop liking their work? These kind of pseudo witch-hunts will lead to pseudo censorship.

Again, you're missing the fact that Palmer Luckey is funding a hate group. Adams and Doug TenNapel don't, as far as I know. It's more than just disagreeing with his beliefs.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
And yet, based on the latest polls, Trump is polling better with black and other non-white groups compared to any other Republican Presidential candidate. What if Trump gets elected because enough non-whites vote for him to swing the election? Because it's possible.

BTW did you read any of the links from that reddit post that I linked to you TWICE?

Can you provide me with links to the polls that say Trump is doing well with minorities?

Top Bottom