• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Wallach

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:(

All that means is you need to use a different DAC, not the one in the Rift. If you have better cans for PC already you presumably do not need this DAC anyway.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Whhhhaaa? I didn't that. Awesome.

Preparing to cave.

EDIT: Card declined, so I think they charge right away.

Not based on Palmer's original comments. :p

They have been having issues with their CC system. Use paypal and it will go through.
Not sure what the trick is to get the CC to go through though I have heard people doing it successfully that way.

deadfolk

I wouldn't worry too much about it, they wouldn't cancel orders over a shipping address problem this far before shipping. It took me around 28 hours to get a response and I emailed them pretty early yesterday so they are probably just way behind.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's the case, but I just needed the reassurance of someone else saying it. :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They're still accepting preorders? For those preordering now, when is the estimated delivery date?

Not sure what the trick is to get the CC to go through though I have heard people doing it successfully that way.

I just kept trying and trying. It wasn't getting declined, I was just getting a "Something went wrong" message. Eventually after 10 minutes or so it went through.

They're still accepting preorders? For those preordering now, when is the estimated delivery date?

June I believe.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I bet so many preorders are scalpers

Like sooo many.

I bet a lot of pre-orderers, like myself, had good intentions. But then we saw how much these were going for on the bay...

Now there is a huge internal conflict between using it in March or getting a free $1,000+ out of the deal if this shortage keeps up.

georgc

Is this a joke? You're asking if there's a big difference between something that costs $20 and something that costs $599?

Not a joke, I see people post how you can actually feel like part of the world you are in with vr and I didn't get that one bit with cardboard. So I was just wondering if it was something I'm missing or the technology.

Piggus

They have been having issues with their CC system. Use paypal and it will go through.

Thanks, I did that and it worked.

Looks like it's expected to ship in June at this point, which is fine IMO. March would have been too soon for me to pay that much.

cheezcake

So I did the tool check to see if my PC could handle the Rift, and I was green in everything except USB ports. Apparently I don't have enough USB 3.0 ports. I know I have at least one, so could I use a USB 3.0 hub, or would that not work for some reason?

I believe Oculus do not recommend using a hub due to the added delay in the signal path, they instead say to use a pcie - usb 3.0 expansion card. They also recommended this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW

deadfolk

I just kept trying and trying. It wasn't getting declined, I was just getting a "Something went wrong" message. Eventually after 10 minutes or so it went through.

I originally got 'Something went wrong' a few times, followed by 'declined' then after waiting a few minutes, it worked. I'm guessing that it actually hit the bank each time it failed, and eventually triggered some kind of fraud prevention alarm at the bank which reset after a period of inactivity.

Im glad my order went through, but not impressed that the bank probably ignored what it thought was fraudulent activity!

Bookoo

I bet a lot of pre-orderers, like myself, had good intentions. But then we saw how much these were going for on the bay...

Now there is a huge internal conflict between using it in March or getting a free $1,000+ out of the deal if this shortage keeps up.

Yea, if the price stays high by March it would be a tough choice, but a lot of times I don't like dealing with the hassle of selling. I am always paranoid I will get screwed over.

jack....

Just placed my pre-order.

Anyone had any experience with VorpX 0.9 VR injector for Oculus Rift, supposedly makes Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 VR compatible.

In my experience, none of the injectors are worthwhile. If the game doesn't have built-in support for VR it ends up pretty bad experience.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Seems like it would be best to just circumvent their audio stuff. Solid DACs aren't that expensive.

All that means is you need to use a different DAC, not the one in the Rift. If you have better cans for PC already you presumably do not need this DAC anyway.

Is their surround audio technologies not proprietary? I wonder if they are just relying on the stock headphones built in sound stage or are using surround technologies.

Not a joke, I see people post how you can actually feel like part of the world you are in with vr and I didn't get that one bit with cardboard. So I was just wondering if it was something I'm missing or the technology.

Yeh cardboard is practically those 1800s era stereoscopic viewers compared to the dedicated headsets. You'll def have a much different experience with a Gear, Oculus, Vive, or PSVR.

Bizzquik

Caved and pre-ordered.
I am so weak.

I pre-ordered Minute-1.
I've learned its easy to make purchasing decisions when you don't bother to think about what you're doing.

("Powerball is going to be $600mil on Saturday? Sure, I'll buy a ticket or two....or 20. Odds of winning are 1-in-292,000,000...but zero if I don't play!")

I was in a meeting at work and tried to get in at 11:00:01, but, with the shop delay, I didn't get in until the "27" group (apparently still March shipping though)

Enk

makes good threads.

Anyone had any experience with VorpX 0.9 VR injector for Oculus Rift, supposedly makes Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 VR compatible.

I finally plunged into VorpX a couple of months ago and found it worth it on my end. Now before you plunk the money down you my want to make sure you temper your expectations a bit. The games I thought I was going to enjoy in VorpX were the ones I ended up not liking or couldn't find the right settings for (Fallout 3, Skyrim, Amnesia, etc). In fact I just couldn't get the first person game mode to look or feel right on my end. Again, it could just be because I haven't found the right settings for me yet, or that I was so used to games with built in VR support that I couldn't handle an artificial one. The first person experience just wasn't pleasant at all.

What made it worth it for me was the theater mode. Basically this sits you in a room with a giant screen in front of you (its size can be adjusted). It sounds kind of pointless at first but some of these games have added 3D Geometry support to them and you can still have some light headtracking options. So instead of looking at a game projected on a screen it looks like you're staring into the next room because of the added depth. This works incredibly well for games like Legend of Grimrock and Deadspace. You can also just turn off the room around you and just have the screen for additional atmosphere. Also you might need to turn off a few shading effects to keep the graphics from glitching out, but the trade off of additional depth is worth it. You can still play pretty much any other game in this mode as the screen acts like a giant tv/monitor, but it's really only worth it for the ones that have added 3d support.

So even though I didn't have the experience I was hoping to originally get with it, I still ended up finding a mode within it that had me replaying a good handful of games in a new light. Basically if you're getting it for Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 you're probably going to be disappointed, but there are other ways this injector can be used to make it worth the price.

Here's some games that I've tested and worked well in theater mode with the added 3d Geometry:

Legend of Grimrock I & II
Deadspace
Gone Home
Skyrim
Risen
Dark Souls 2
Trine
Alice Madness Returns

And there's still a bunch more on their list that I have yet to go through.

charpunk

The newer versions made some improvements. As someone who owns it, I don't think it's worth the asking price yet.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
For those with actual experience with these things.

Is it straining or sickening to play games in a theater mode of sorts. Like playing the game on a normal monitor except that monitor is represented on the oculus instead.

No real interest in forcing VR in non VR games, but I think there could be a benefit to playing normally through it.

Ferrio

Banned

Is it straining or sickening to play games in a theater mode of sorts. Like playing the game on a normal monitor except that monitor is represented on the oculus instead.

No real interest in forcing VR in non VR games, but I think there could be a benefit to playing normally through it.

I have yet to play a game in a virtual theater, but I've watched movies/twitch streams. Other than the lower resolution it's not bad. I assume the UI in certain video games could be hard to read due to the lower res they weren't intended to be displayed at.

Enk

makes good threads.

I've played games using theater mode in both Virtual Desktop and VorpX and never experienced any strain as far as I remember. You're basically stationary but can still look around the room (or galaxy in Virtual Desktop), so it's hard to get motion sickness there.The only added effect to that is that it makes you feel like you're staring a large theater screen but without the sharpness of a tv or monitor. Now VorpX has added 3d effects to some games that makes it feel like a very different experience from a monitor (read my post a couple of about yours).

Tested, once again, has the best VR coverage. This time, it's their hands-on Vive video from CES. Really great view of the camera pass through near the beginning.
I know in PR you have to say the right things, but the HTC guy was robotic to the point of frustration. Nate Mitchell at Oculus avoids answering questions just as much, but in a much warmer fashion, and always gives a little something for Norm to work with. This was just painful.

Great vid though, Tested always say something I'd not really considered - in this case it was Norm talking about the problems of backing into a wall!

To be fair, Nate Mitchell is one of the best PR guys I've ever seen, and has a great rapport with Norm in particular.

I do agree that the PR guy Norm spoke to here was over his head though.

charpunk

I've used the theater mode in Vorpx as well as the virtual desktop application. Both have pros and cons, but neither have caused any strain or motion sickness for me while playing games. I've watched a view movies using virtual desktop which is pretty rad, but the screen door effect on dk2 makes me not use that feature often.

anigif_mobile_7d665f1b4687837f8826c73f8a8ff7f6-1.gif

robotrock

Banned
I had been refreshing the site once it hit 11:00 AM EST, and the shop link wasn't working. I only managed to check out at 11:07 AM, and got confirmation for March. 26 crew.

mhayze

Given how far out pre-orders have been sold, I'm wondering if it'll be easier to buy this in retail than wait for the pre-orders if I order now.
WTH, I'm pre-ordering anyways

YuShtink

Given how far out pre-orders have been sold, I'm wondering if it'll be easier to buy this in retail than wait for the pre-orders if I order now.
WTH, I'm pre-ordering anyways

Possibly, but from the looks of things there most likely won't be many retail units to go around.

mhayze

Possibly, but from the looks of things there most likely won't be many retail units to go around.

I suspect you are correct. I will have to jump on the Vive pre-order faster. Hopefully that will keep me entertained until the Rift ships.

Top Bottom