• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

Far lands, how is this title. It seems graphically amazing but I can find little info on it?
They seem to have snuck it in as a hidden launch title.

Is there a way to install the lastest runtime without installing occulus home or bypassing the installer's drivers check? It says I need to update to the lastest drivers, and I already am. Tried lastest retail and lastest beta ATI drivers.

jaypah

Is there a way to install the lastest runtime without installing occulus home or bypassing the installer's drivers check? It says I need to update to the lastest drivers, and I already am. Tried lastest retail and lastest beta ATI drivers.

What card do you have?

jaypah

hd5850, want to try Elite on the lastest runtime, I don't know if they still support run time 0.6.0 like before.

Are you sure there isn't a beta driver? My official driver was up to date (290x) but there was a beta driver on the AMD website that I needed before I could complete the Occulus update.

Jedi2016

The DK2 just doesn't want to work for me. The Oculus app can see it, it just says "Firmware N/A" and there's no option anywhere to force an update. When I try running an app, it just starts in a little box on the main monitor and the Rift never turns on. Am I missing some stupidly simple step to get this thing working?

PGamer

fucking juniors
The DK2 just doesn't want to work for me. The Oculus app can see it, it just says "Firmware N/A" and there's no option anywhere to force an update. When I try running an app, it just starts in a little box on the main monitor and the Rift never turns on. Am I missing some stupidly simple step to get this thing working?

The firmware says N/A for me. I think that's just normal for the DK2. As far as stupidly simple goes you have the DK2 turned on when you're doing this right? It should just work when you have the Oculus application running.

Jedi2016

It's on, but it just has the orange light on it. If I turn it off, the Oculus app complains that it's not there until I turn it back on, so I know it can "see" it.. it just won't send anything to it.

PGamer

fucking juniors
It's on, but it just has the orange light on it. If I turn it off, the Oculus app complains that it's not there until I turn it back on, so I know it can "see" it.. it just won't send anything to it.

Hmm. Do you have the camera set up too? Does it show a blue light when you turn the Rift on? When I got this running I installed the latest GPU driver with VR support (Nvidia in my case) and uninstalled all my old Oculus runtimes etc. first. Maybe try that if you haven't already.

Jedi2016

Yeah, the camera light shows up when the Oculus app starts.

I got it to display in the window on my monitor, and it's even weirder now... what it's displaying is clearly meant for the DK2 (it's from the "3D Photo" app), and I can hold the Rift up in front of the camera and move it around, and it responds on the video, including both motion and directional tracking... but it won't actually send the signal to the Rift.

Edit: Seems like a cable problem of some sort.. the video keeps flickering in and out, and fiddling with the wires seems to help. At least I can get some of the apps to work now. Better than it was yesterday, at any rate.. hehe.

Yeah, the camera light shows up when the Oculus app starts.

I got it to display in the window on my monitor, and it's even weirder now... what it's displaying is clearly meant for the DK2 (it's from the "3D Photo" app), and I can hold the Rift up in front of the camera and move it around, and it responds on the video, including both motion and directional tracking... but it won't actually send the signal to the Rift.

Edit: Seems like a cable problem of some sort.. the video keeps flickering in and out, and fiddling with the wires seems to help. At least I can get some of the apps to work now. Better than it was yesterday, at any rate.. hehe.

this shouldn't matter, but I plugged in the sensor to USB 3.0 ports and that got rid of the "we can't find your sensor!" message I was getting. might work for you?

can confirm Lucky's Tale works great! seems like it's just free for anyone, not just CV1 buyers, as Eve Valkyrie is not free for me.

[edit]
Out of everything that is free in the Oculus store (and that I tried), the following work (and all work extremely well):
Lucky's Tale
Lost
Henry
Invasion!
The Body VR
Video app
Oculus Dreamdeck

I did not try Far Lands or the 360 Photo app.

Jaunt did not work, or I didn't give it enough time to load but I let it sit for several minutes.

Double posting to bump the thread so people potentially see it. There's a thread currently going over on the Oculus forums about which apps work with DK2:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32348/oculus-home-apps-tested-with-dk2/p2

In addition to what I mentioned looks like ADR1FT, Chronos, Valkyrie, Subnautica, and Elite all work as well.
I know what I'm doing tomorrow. Very cool that that stuff works with DK2

To save you, or anyone else who reads this, some time, make sure you do/note the following:

-Uninstall any existing Oculus runtime on your machine before installing Oculus home
-Skip the parts of the installation that ask you to connect your headset and sensor (it won't detect them but it still works)
-Skip the part about calibrating your Oculus remote
-A 360 controller does work, the Back button will re-center your view in most apps, the home button does work as well
-Some apps require you to click on them in the desktop store (not the VR store) to finish installing, this isn't made very obvious
-Some apps are built for standing, the DK2 sensor has a much smaller range/area than the CV1 sensor, so you may have to adjust where it's "looking" for anything that asks you stand up, if you're using an app and it looks red/sepia toned, it means the sensor can't see you

dsk1210

Really enjoyed Lucky's Tale on the DK2 last night, looking forward to playing Elite again.

I think you have to claim a key from frontier for the oculus store for Elite, I could not get the steam version working.

dsk1210

Does anyone else feel the oculus home is placed rather far from your view? I feel like I could sit about 4 feet closer and have the store immerse me a bit more.

The higher resolution on the CV1 will help no doubt, but really happy with how well the software seems to be working with the DK2 now. Was a nice surprise.

Does anyone else feel the oculus home is placed rather far from your view? I feel like I could sit about 4 feet closer and have the store immerse me a bit more.

The higher resolution on the CV1 will help no doubt, but really happy with how well the software seems to be working with the DK2 now. Was a nice surprise.

I actually felt like the store interface was too close so i moved my chair back about a foot.

Noogy

Ever since i got my DK2 I've actually been pretty down on VR. And I'm disappointed to hear that the retail doesn't completely fix my biggest complaint, that these devices are terrible for people who have to wear glasses.

That said, I was VERY impressed with Lucky's Tale. That game proved to me that we can go beyond first-person games, and actually enhance other genres.

chris121580

FYI that The Foo Show is out and works on the DK2. It's Will Smith's(previously from Tested) project and it's cool as hell. It's basically watching an interview with him and the 2 devs of Firewatch and then all of a sudden you're in the tower and everything allows you to be interactive. It's so awesome. The possibilities are endless with this idea

Top Bottom