• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

jaypah

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking this out later.

Edit: Wow... Just... wow.

For a completely scripted scene with the camera following a set pass, this was incredibly immersive. I couldn't help myself from dodging the bullets, and debris, and trying to reach out and catch rocks and the empty soda can. How *involved* you feel in something like this, which is completely scripted is yet another great example of the strength of VR. I also had zero problems running this in win 7 + 0.7. On my hardware, I shouldn't have problems, but if this is an example of the fidelity we can expect in VR titles when the rift hits next year... I'm more than happy with that, and my current PC.

Seriously, people need to check this out. I didn't even run the compiled version and performance was great. Not that any of us need telling, but *JUST* the feeling of being in the scene itself makes alone VR more immersive than any previous level of interactivity in gaming has done.

You're rocking a 980, right?

Just did the Showdown demo on a single 970, kept a steady 75 throughout, though environmental complexity and detail wasn't as big as I was expecting, maybe the detail settings were turned down to accommodate my specs? Definitely a cool demo though, the robot was givin me shades of Dog from HL2. Oh lawd I want HL3 in VR :|

A demo that really blew me away is the GE Neuro one recently released by Kite&Lightning (Senza Peso, GE Subsea Experience, Batcave). Really trippy use of changing perspective based on scale, you get shrunk down to Innerspace size and take a trip through a guy's brain. Very cool, especially leaning in to look at this 3d mri brain scan. Edutainment gonna be huge in VR.

https://youtu.be/5IYEuzmRR6g

You're rocking a 980, right?

Yeah. A regular GTX 980 of the none Ti variety. I have three of the puppies, but obviously can only currently use one when I'm playing stuff in VR... and also pretty obviously, VR SLI will only use two.

I just checked out Neuro as well and would agree with the statement that being shrunk is the highlight, although the MRI you can lean forwards into and see all the different layers of is cool too (if you didn't try to stick your face into it, you missed out on a lot of the detail in there). Things get a bit odd at times if you look behind yourself, obviously not something you're meant to do, but all in all a neat trip into the human brain.

LaneDS

Just did the Showdown demo on a single 970, kept a steady 75 throughout, though environmental complexity and detail wasn't as big as I was expecting, maybe the detail settings were turned down to accommodate my specs? Definitely a cool demo though, the robot was givin me shades of Dog from HL2. Oh lawd I want HL3 in VR :|

A demo that really blew me away is the GE Neuro one recently released by Kite&Lightning (Senza Peso, GE Subsea Experience, Batcave). Really trippy use of changing perspective based on scale, you get shrunk down to Innerspace size and take a trip through a guy's brain. Very cool, especially leaning in to look at this 3d mri brain scan. Edutainment gonna be huge in VR.

https://youtu.be/5IYEuzmRR6g

Thanks for the heads up on the Kite & Lightning demo... Senza Peso was really something so I'm looking forward to checking that out.

Got UE4 all setup last night but didn't try Showdown yet, but am also looking forward to that.

So does everything work now on win10?I'm eager to get back into the matrix.

And damn VR needs a proper matrix game. Logging in using your phone no less.

Tain

So does everything work now on win10?I'm eager to get back into the matrix.

And damn VR needs a proper matrix game. Logging in using your phone no less.

Everything made with SDK .6 and up works fine in Win10. UE4 stuff is fine, which is my primary concern, but your favorite demos may no longer work.

jaypah

Yeah. A regular GTX 980 of the none Ti variety. I have three of the puppies, but obviously can only currently use one when I'm playing stuff in VR... and also pretty obviously, VR SLI will only use two.

Nice to know, thanks.

Got everything updated, latest beta AMD drivers and Oculus 0.7 on Windows 10. Everything that I tried that eas supposed to be supported worked flawlessly (No Limits Coasters 2 is still amazing) but Project Cars still doesn't run right. It's being rendered properly but the FPS are low as hell. It feels like it's reverting to 37.5 fps but I should clear 75fps easily at these settings. Everything is on low, single car race. I just can't figure it out. 290x, i7 @ 4.2 and 8 gigs of RAM.

Soi-Fong

Man... I can't even go back to my DK2 anymore. Haha, I'm way too use to the HTC Vive now at the studio.

After a while, you just see how better the new headsets are. Not surprising since the DK2 is a year or older tech-wise. I mean the added ability to walk around just adds to the experience for the Vive.

I think the only thing I'm still playing on the DK2 is Elite: Dangerous which is preventing me from upgrading to the 0.7 SDK. I have to admit though just how good Elite is when I compare it to other experiences I've tried with the Vive.

Anyway, here's another picture, this time of me playing with the Vive. Yes, that is a spoof shirt that says "Mental Gear." lol As you can see, I was so immersed I didn't know my fly was open. haha

TG4b.jpg

Prat

Man... I can't even go back to my DK2 anymore. Haha, I'm way too use to the HTC Vive now at the studio.

After a while, you just see how better the new headsets are. Not surprising since the DK2 is a year or older tech-wise. I mean the added ability to walk around just adds to the experience for the Vive.

I think the only thing I'm still playing on the DK2 is Elite: Dangerous which is preventing me from upgrading to the 0.7 SDK. I have to admit though just how good Elite is when I compare it to other experiences I've tried with the Vive.

Anyway, here's another picture, this time of me playing with the Vive. Yes, that is a spoof shirt that says "Mental Gear." lol As you can see, I was so immersed I didn't know my fly was open. haha

TG4b.jpg

Any mod, trick or whatever to run Elite with the Vive?? Have you run the same application with both headsets? How do they compare in terms of visuals?? :p

Soi-Fong

Any mod, trick or whatever to run Elite with the Vive?? Have you run the same application with both headsets? How do they compare in terms of visuals?? :p

The HTC Vive I have on here is for the studio I'm working at. I don't have the Vive at home or anything. Though, I don't think Elite will run on the Vive as I'm not even sure Frontier had tried to integrate the Vive SDK into Elite. Not surprised at that really.

Compared to the DK2, the visuals are of course better as many in this thread have stated. I can't and won't compare to the CV1 version of the Rift as I have not tried that HMD yet.

zeioIIDX

Just tried ShowdownVR on the DK1. Ran like butter for me and I'm using a 2GB GTX 770, Windows 7, 12GB RAM. Was pretty cool but not the most breathtaking thing I've experienced in the Rift. Pretty blurry too for me since it's the DK1 :( I cannot wait to try the Vive, oh man.

Just tried ShowdownVR on the DK1. Ran like butter for me and I'm using a 2GB GTX 770, Windows 7, 12GB RAM. Was pretty cool but not the most breathtaking thing I've experienced in the Rift. Pretty blurry too for me since it's the DK1 :( I cannot wait to try the Vive, oh man.

I lot of what impressed me about it was level of fidelity *and* the performance in VR. Those two things combined. Your DK1 isn't going to let you really appreciate the amount of detail (and I'm sure it would impress more in a Vive or CV1, though by how much I can only guess). It's meant to represent the high end of VR graphics, which in screenshots is obviously going to lag behind what regular games look like because all of the extra VR overhead and much higher baseline for performance, but if that's a valid example of what a high end VR game looks like next spring...

I go back to WOW. And it's only going to improve from there.

I've never actually played Sightline. Just about to load it up :)

edit: I didn't have time to go through the whole thing, but I think I'd heard too much hype about it, and I think I was getting it mixed up in my head with 'don't let go'. I'll go through the rest of it at some point anyways.

Zenaku

Ordered a DK2 last thursday, changed to 'processing' an hour ago. Anyone know when I should realistically expect it to get shipped and arrive in the UK?

Theonik

Ordered a DK2 last thursday, changed to 'processing' an hour ago. Anyone know when I should realistically expect it to get shipped and arrive in the UK?
Last I checked they had stock such that they will dispatch from the UK itself so less than a week once it's dispatched.

Zenaku

Last I checked they had stock such that they will dispatch from the UK itself so less than a week once it's dispatched.

Yes, seems they did, thanks. It was shipped yesterday, arrived this morning.

IPD should be set with the lenses as close to the eyes as possible, right? Although there doesn't seem to be much of a change in the demo scene anywhere between 57.5mm and 64mm. Still need to test a bit more, try out the other lenses, etc, to see what feels best.

My glasses don't seem to make a huge difference either, but not being able to quickly take them off and put them back on while wearing the headset makes it difficult to tell how much the image changes.

Yes, seems they did, thanks. It was shipped yesterday, arrived this morning.

IPD should be set with the lenses as close to the eyes as possible, right? Although there doesn't seem to be much of a change in the demo scene anywhere between 57.5mm and 64mm. Still need to test a bit more, try out the other lenses, etc, to see what feels best.

My glasses don't seem to make a huge difference either, but not being able to quickly take them off and put them back on while wearing the headset makes it difficult to tell how much the image changes.

No, the IPD calibration needs to be done with the screen as far away from the eyes as possible. I'm pretty nearsighted, and without glasses I use the B lenses with minimum eye relief, and with glasses A lenses at almost max. I like the former a little better since it's slightly more comfortable.

Ethan Carter Redux reportedly working pretty well with the DK2 and 0.7. A few visual glitches (after examing objects, a rectangle is left on screen, menus need to be navigated in the mirrored view, windows 10 owners report things looking messed up until you get control of your character), but praise is flowing for how good it looks.

My download is 75% done.

Zenaku

No, the IPD calibration needs to be done with the screen as far away from the eyes as possible. I'm pretty nearsighted, and without glasses I use the B lenses with minimum eye relief, and with glasses A lenses at almost max. I like the former a little better since it's slightly more comfortable.

Got it. Still haven't noticed any difference in image clarity, but I've set up my IPD properly (I think), so thanks.

I've tried TVoEC an hour or two back, looking great. If the dev team fix the bugs and maybe work on a VR-friendly alternate HUD, it'll be wonderful.

Unfortunately I've ran into a problem with the DK2. For some reason it won't work consecutively on Windows 10 for me. I can't remember if it did, since I was mainly testing on Windows 7 (Alien Isolation and Elite: Dangerous both need older runtimes), but when I was testing things on Win 10 I found that everything works perfectly the first time I use the DK2, but after that anything I run will run at sub 1fps.

It doesn't matter what I try to run, or how long the computers been on, I can't run anything at full speed again until I reboot. Stopping and restarting the service doesn't work, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling. On Windows 7 everything works flawlessly time after time.

It's rather annoying, as I wanted SDK 5 on Win 7 for Elite, while using SDK 7 on Win10 for the newer stuff, and the Unity engine. Google hasn't brought about any results.

I think once they get to producing these headsets for consumers they really need to make these available to try in different places. I don't live on the west coast and I don't live in New York so unless I find somebody that has one and is willing to let me try it, I have no way of knowing if I would want to drop hundreds of dollars on one of these things.

I think once they get to producing these headsets for consumers they really need to make these available to try in different places. I don't live on the west coast and I don't live in New York so unless I find somebody that has one and is willing to let me try it, I have no way of knowing if I would want to drop hundreds of dollars on one of these things.

Oculus are going to have demo stations in stores.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I decided to jump back into my DK2 after several months of collecting dust, and downloaded runtime 6.0.1 and some more demos. It's not working. The configuration utility gives me this:
0OFUEph.png

Anyone else experiencing this? My DK2 was working before. Is 6.0.1 messed up? I didn't get 7.0.0 because I heard it's messed up, and doesn't support most demos. Maybe I'll try downloading runtime 5.0.1.

Zeknurn

I decided to jump back into my DK2 after several months of collecting dust, and downloaded runtime 6.0.1 and some more demos. It's not working. The configuration utility gives me this:
http://i.imgur.com/0OFUEph.png
Anyone else experiencing this? My DK2 was working before. Is 6.0.1 messed up? I didn't get 7.0.0 because I heard it's messed up, and doesn't support most demos. Maybe I'll try downloading runtime 5.0.1.

Windows 10? You must use runtime 7.0.0 and the latest Nvidia/AMD driver.

bee

wow just got around to trying ethan carter on the DK2, best game out there by far in vr, looks amazing if a little buggy (dark bar stays on screen when you pick something up) really liking the performance too on ue4, playing it 1080p, 200% render, all highest settings , except smaa 1x, motion blur/dof off and it never drops from 75 fps, just need a higher resolution hmd now, when you walk over the bridge with the houses above you it just hasn't got the same impact on the low resolution DK2 compared to when i played it on a 4k monitor, the exquisite textures are lost somewhat

Showdown VR is stuttering like mad on my GTX 770 , idk if the cause is my SDK being 6.0 and not 7.0

And i'm begining to wonder if it would not be wiser to sell my DK2 now after 1 year of use and wait for the Vive or Oculus CV1 to release.

Just hooked my DK2 up for the first time in nearly a year. I believe the firmware is still 2.12, so I don't need to do anything with that (though let me know if I'm wrong).

I've read every post in this thread since last October and am going through the Oculus subreddit and reading through the archives of uploadvr.com to catch up. I'm about to start playing through everything I have missed.

I am currently on runtime 0.4.2. It's my understanding that, after updating to a certain point, I will no longer be able to play older demos. On the Oculus Share website, whenever the SDK version needed is listed for a particular demo, it says either "pre-0.6.0" or "0.6.0+". I know that runtime 0.7.0 can run anything that is 0.6.1 and above, and that, in the future, anything made with runtime 1.0 and on will always be supported.

In order to make sure I can play everything, I guess I should find everything that is below 0.6.0 and play that, and then, when I am ready to play all the latest stuff, update to 0.6.0 and then eventually 0.7.0, right? I am on Windows 7 and have no plans to upgrade to Windows 10 anytime soon, so I can hold off on 0.7.0 for a while.

Flintty

I've never been too sure about the Rift and suspected that it's something that needs to be seen in order to truly understand and appreciate.

My place of work is using one for a non gaming platform (potentially a lot cooler and more significant than gaming) and I got to try it today, I couldn't believe my luck!

It was only a Dev Kit 1 but it blew me away. Really impressed with what I saw and now I need to try it for games! The biggest surprise was my fear of screens close to the eyes, I previously couldn't get my head around how it wouldn't go blurry or feel uncomfortable. But it works and feels great.

The hype is real.

Falchion

I know we're getting closer to all these VR devices hitting the consumer market but it still feels so far away. I also want to hear the price so I can find out that I'm not going to get them for a while.

I know we're getting closer to all these VR devices hitting the consumer market but it still feels so far away. I also want to hear the price so I can find out that I'm not going to get them for a while.

I know the feeling, third time around for me lol (dk1+dk2). It's doubly difficult as I know I'll want to get in on the ground floor of room scale vr, and with both vive and oculus likely having pre-order periods close together its going to be hard to resist jumping on whichever comes first. Oculus would be my first choice based on Touch impressions, but the call of any Valve made vr demos and games is strong. Decisions decisions.

Now that I think about it, the decision is easier than I thought, not really interested in another hmd without motion controls, and seeing as Touch is dropping sometime in q2 of 2016, I'll get the Vive at launch and just wait until Touch is available and hopefully be able to get the CV1 as part of a bundle.

Dmented

Banned
I didn't see any dedicated Vive threads so I hope it's ok to post here but, I just tried the Vive demo and it's the first time I've ever used a VR headset of any kind.

It's fucking incredible. I had an idea of how it would be prior and knew it would be really really cool but I did not expect to be that blown away. It really does transport you into a new reality.

I cannot wait to get one of these. Most likely the Vive as I loved the controllers and the ability to walk around. So damn cool.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I didn't see any dedicated Vive threads so I hope it's ok to post here but, I just tried the Vive demo and it's the first time I've ever used a VR headset of any kind.

It's fucking incredible. I had an idea of how it would be prior and knew it would be really really cool but I did not expect to be that blown away. It really does transport you into a new reality.

I cannot wait to get one of these. Most likely the Vive as I loved the controllers and the ability to walk around. So damn cool.

Sounds great. I can't wait to try a Vive here in the UK somewhere.

Top Bottom