• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are you guys using for your wall mounts for the sensors?? I'm debating if i should do this for my setup
I got clamp mounts, and clamped mine to some curtain-rods installed vertically, floor-to-ceiling. That meant I didn’t have to actually mount anything to the wall, and can easily move them around to best fit the space.

MaDKaT

I had the Vive for a while in my old house and absolutely loved it but we moved and I don't have space for roomscale anymore. How would the seated experience be with the Oculus? I'm itching to get VR back in my life but I don't want to waste the money if I can't play most things sitting down.

Did you sell your Vive? It does seated just fine.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yea, so I played Echo Arena for the first time.....

Holy shit!

Anyone who says VR is a gimmick needs to play this. I can't get over how amazing it feels to play this game. One of the first games to nail movement controls. This is some next level shit. :eek:

webrunner

Pavaloo

The extra sensor I decided to order yesterday has shipped, but the bundle I ordered on the 11th still hasn't even charged me yet -___-

I just wanted to enjoy my weekend in another reality.

BlazeRush is really fun. Except if you have a Rift, don't buy it on the Steam store (I did because that's where I had credits, but, seems that's an issue w/ launching)

Weevilone

So a third sensor is a big deal? Right now I have a big desk and figured I'd just put the 2 at each far corner.. but maybe I don't know what I'm doing.

Imur

Hey quick question

is the oculus store really as badly designed as it seems? like, no way to search by tracking type or arrange by price or anything? Just a bunch of unsorted categories?

Also these bundles make no sense:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/292576101205668/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/1459582360801975/

Space Pirate Trainer - game where you literally stand on a single platform - in the "Explore" pack and only one action game in the "Action Pack"

Even if it doesn't make sense, the Action Bundle seems pretty interesting. I wanted to buy all multi games on Steam, but maybe I have to buy this Bundle.

And yeah, the Store is that bad.

vermadas

Oh well, will maybe get Dirt Rally 4 instead.

Making sure you mean Dirt Rally and not Dirt 4. The latter does not (yet?) have VR support.

Hey quick question

is the oculus store really as badly designed as it seems? like, no way to search by tracking type or arrange by price or anything? Just a bunch of unsorted categories?

Also these bundles make no sense:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/292576101205668/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/1459582360801975/

Space Pirate Trainer - game where you literally stand on a single platform - in the "Explore" pack and only one action game in the "Action Pack"

Yes, discovery is comically bad on their store. And I hadn't looked at those packs before. That's an uh, interesting grouping...

MaDKaT

So a third sensor is a big deal? Right now I have a big desk and figured I'd just put the 2 at each far corner.. but maybe I don't know what I'm doing.

If you wan't 360 degree you need to set the cameras opposite of each other(opposite walls or corners) or get a 3rd camera to set opposite of the 2 cameras on your desk.

Conezays

So I was very impressed by the opening tutorial demo but I think I'm having audio issues. I only seem to get that sort of scratching buzzy sound. Any ideas? Thank you.

Update: Putting headset into usb 2.0 resolved audio not coming out of headphones.

jrcbandit

Oculus store is horrible on the web, you can't search and no user reviews. In the Oculus app, at least search and user reviews are available, but it is still very difficult to browse things without looking for a specific title, with weird organization.

Unfortunately, I already bought Superhot VR from GMG for 15% off, I would have gotten the Action pack instead if I had known about it as all 3 are good games.

Lakuza

Oh the adventure pack is interesting considering I want to get raw data and I expect you to die, plus the climb is in it too and I was passing on it due to its high price.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bundles/101577520508617/

Oculus store is horrible on the web, you can't search and no user reviews. In the Oculus app, at least search and user reviews are available, but it is still very difficult to browse things without looking for a specific title, with weird organization.

Unfortunately, I already bought Superhot VR from GMG for 15% off, I would have gotten the Action pack instead if I had known about it as all 3 are good games.

Completely agree. I don't know how any company can bring out a store and not consider a search function or making user reviews visible. Really bizzare.

My headset should arrive Tuesday, but it says the earliest I'll get the touch controllers is August. I really hope that's not the case and Amazon.ca gets more in sooner.

Conezays

Is this the appropriate thread to offer our username info, etc. if people want to do any multiplayer together?

Really enjoying the experience thus far; motion sickness seems lessened for me compared to the DK2 and the touch controllers are fantastic. Even just the opening tutorial where you interact with the robot had me in awe.

CodeNfX

I wasn't sure if I needed the 3rd sensor since my play area is very small, been thinking about it the past few days but I notice Amazon has a 1-2month ETA and Best Buy ship date is pushing further so I went ahead and bought one from Best Buy, I can always return it if I decide I don't need it. Still waiting for the Oculus Rift + Touch from Amazon, says I should get it next week. Can't wait to experience all this!

Just ordered from the Oculus store here in Canada! Can't wait until it arrives! Does anybody know how long it usually takes to make it to Canada? (Kingston, Ontario to be specific)

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, is there a difference in Quality-Resoluation of screens? between this and HTC Vive?

I haven't followed the VR Scene. Just wanted to get some info before dumping 549.99 CDN plus Tax...

Musician

Even it the bundles are a bit weirdly named they have some great games in then from what I've read. Action and discovery in particular!

You get the games for about half price if you buy a bundle which is really nice.

Got my rift and controllers today! The wire is a bit annoying but other than that the hardware works great! The only problem I have is that things get blurry up close. Apparently it has something to do with how your eyes focus normally and you can train yourself to her rid of the blur.

Edit: I don't get an email with tracking either when I ordered from Oculus.com . Look on your profile on their homepage instead!

Lakuza

Got my touch controllers today. Rift will arrive on monday :)
Also went and ordered the third sensor so I don't have any issues if I turn to face behind me.

I've been waiting a couple days and still no tracking number or anything. It'll be a while probably.

I never got a tracking number by email or anything. I had to go into "my orders" (only relevant if you ordered from oculus) and it will display 2 tracking numbers when you click to expand the oculus order.

Fot the uk atleast, it ships from netherlands.

Bizzquik

what are you guys using for your wall mounts for the sensors?? I'm debating if i should do this for my setup

Wall mounts are definitely the way to go. But - if you're like me and not yet ready to drill into your walls - there are costlier alternatives to consider, particularly if you already have a small table from which to start.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN1P9QI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
...combined with...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686713-REG/Matthews_350602_4_20_510mm_Rod_for.html

The Smatree SmaPole base (with its built-in height extension) provides a nice stand for the Matthews extension to use. Combined, I was surprised how tall it became - and reasonably stable, too.

Got my touch controllers today. Rift will arrive on monday :)
Also went and ordered the third sensor so I don't have any issues if I turn to face behind me.

I never got a tracking number by email or anything. I had to go into "my orders" (only relevant if you ordered from oculus) and it will display 2 tracking numbers when you click to expand the oculus order.

Fot the uk atleast, it ships from netherlands.

Yea, mine just says that a tracking number is "TBA when your order ships"

Zalusithix

Hey guys, is there a difference in Quality-Resoluation of screens? between this and HTC Vive?
Vive and Rift use the same resolution screens, but have different lens types (Fresnel, and hybrid-Fresnel respectively), and have marginally different FoVs (slightly larger for the Vive) and brightness levels (Vive is brighter). The hybrid-Fresnel lenses on the Rift exhibit less traditional Fresnel ringing artifacts, but get crepuscular rays instead. The slightly larger FoV / shape of the Vive image has advantages for roomscale, but costs it a bit in angular resolution vs the Rift. Added brightness is good, but can cost the Vive in regards to higher contrast scenes where lens artifacting is more prevalent.

In the end they're more similar than different, but those are the differences you'd be looking at any rate.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Getting ready to start hooking this bad boy up. There are 2 configurations with the sensors, for folks that have one, what is the best setup for them?

Also, are there any sports apps, that you can watch the game in VR, or movies and what not? I know of Hulu VR, I have watched that on my PSVR. I’m more interested in VR movies, I think it is called 360 movies, or something along those lines.

They are used for spacial tracking of the headset, which allows you to lean, duck, jump, walk, run, or crawl around perfectly 1:1 in virtual space. Oculus sensors use infrared cameras with a cone of vision. 2 sensors is the standard packed in set-up, which can be both placed in front of you for 180-270 degree experiences (certain games are designed for this) or placed on opposite sides for full 360 spacial tracking allowing you to turn around and spin freely (as free as the cord allows you at least lol). But you can't get a very big space with really good tracking with 2 Oculus sensors, at least not on par with the Vive out of the box. 3rd and 4th sensors are allowed though if you want to have the full room scale experience akin to the Vive, but must be purchased seperately.

Fuck, I thought I bought a complete set.

Well, thanks for the reply. I might refund or buy another sensor if isn't too expensive.

Fuck, I thought I bought a complete set.

Well, thanks for the reply. I might refund or buy another sensor if isn't too expensive.

To be fair, while the 2 sensor (or even 3/4 sensor) setup with the Oculus won't offer as good tracking as the Vive out of the box.. I think it's important to remember that you can buy an Oculus+Touch and 2 extra sensors and still come out a good bit cheaper than the Vive.

I really have no experience with either though. So it could be that the Vive experience is worth the extra bit of money.

Max_Po

Banned
Vive and Rift use the same resolution screens, but have different lens types (Fresnel, and hybrid-Fresnel respectively), and have marginally different FoVs (slightly larger for the Vive) and brightness levels (Vive is brighter). The hybrid-Fresnel lenses on the Rift exhibit less traditional Fresnel ringing artifacts, but get crepuscular rays instead. The slightly larger FoV / shape of the Vive image has advantages for roomscale, but costs it a bit in angular resolution vs the Rift. Added brightness is good, but can cost the Vive in regards to higher contrast scenes where lens artifacting is more prevalent.

In the end they're more similar than different, but those are the differences you'd be looking at any rate.

Thanks, I will go with Oculus. Can't justify double price for similar experience.

Dave_6

Can anyone recommend a USB hub/splitter that will work with this? It would make it much easier to manage the cables when I want to hook or unhook the unit.

jrcbandit

Thanks! Looks like I could easily mount it under my desk too.

A warning, if you order a 3rd sensor, you can only use 2 sensors per USB controller. Also, if your motherboard is slightly older, many of the 3rd party USB controllers (Etron and Asmedia) are incompatible with Rift sensors, so be sure to hook it up to your Intel USB 3.0 ports.

Dave_6

A warning, if you order a 3rd sensor, you can only use 2 sensors per USB controller. Also, if your motherboard is slightly older, many of the 3rd party USB controllers (Etron and Asmedia) are incompatible with Rift sensors, so be sure to hook it up to your Intel USB 3.0 ports.

My motherboard is the ASUS Maximus IX Hero that just recently came out, well in the past few months. I'm going to move the second sensor behind me somewhere (maybe mount on the wall?) but I'm not sure if I'll need a third one. Thanks for the info!

Oh well! I guess I'll just have to sit tight until it arrives!

Yep, I'm right there with ya. In the meantime I've been watching VR vids, getting ideas for optimal setups and creative things to do once I get it. Also getting the play space and PC set up how I want it to also work with my sim racing setup.

I'm looking forward to experiencing it finally, and also looking forward (assuming my experience is good lol) to get friends and family members to try it out.

Cheers.

Cleve

I have a fresco logic card (the one they recommend) with all three sensors on it, works okay for me, unless you're just talking about standard onboard cards.

Echo Arena is fun and hilarious, hope you guys get your Rifts in time to play it (beta ends fairly soon)!

edit: not sure when the actual game comes out though, I think it's relatively soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom