• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Lone Echo, The Climb, and Superhot VR are the games I want. Will probably wait for sales on the latter two hopefully later in the year.

chinoXL

Wall mounts are definitely the way to go. But - if you're like me and not yet ready to drill into your walls - there are costlier alternatives to consider, particularly if you already have a small table from which to start.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN1P9QI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
...combined with...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686713-REG/Matthews_350602_4_20_510mm_Rod_for.html

The Smatree SmaPole base (with its built-in height extension) provides a nice stand for the Matthews extension to use. Combined, I was surprised how tall it became - and reasonably stable, too.

Thx for the links. Gonna look into this this weekend

jrcbandit

Does this work? I thought the sensors used enough Data that simply splitting a 3.0 port won't work due to the limited bandwidth when splitting? Everyone was saying you need a PCI card if you don't have enough ports.

The hub isn't meant to allow you to plug in multiple devices. It is so you can position away from the PC. For that reason, it is silly to get one that has that many USB ports since you can realistically only use 2 of them for sensors and maybe 1 other port for something else with low bandwidth like the headset (it is only transmitting audio over USB). Thus, if you are going to use a hub, connect it to an Intel USB 3.0 port in the rear and don't use the other 3 Intel USB ports for anything (assuming you are connecting both Sensors and headset to the hub). I dunno how much USB bandwidth other devices like a mouse or external hard drive use, but 3 sensors on one USB hub is a big no.

VICI0US

Echo Arena is fun and hilarious, hope you guys get your Rifts in time to play it (beta ends fairly soon)!

edit: not sure when the actual game comes out though, I think it's relatively soon.

I wish it had better matchmaking though. I'm in my first few games here getting matched with level 20 something players who are slaughtering me.

Neverfade

Anyone used USB extension cables with success for your sensors? My headset would keep dropping connection while the sensors (not the headset strangely) were plugged in through the extensions.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I wish it had better matchmaking though. I'm in my first few games here getting matched with level 20 something players who are slaughtering me.

There is a level matchmaking system but I think they disabled it in this beta because it was broken. It'll probably be there in the final release.

Chumley

Banned
The hub isn't meant to allow you to plug in multiple devices. It is so you can position away from the PC. For that reason, it is silly to get one that has that many USB ports since you can realistically only use 2 of them for sensors and maybe 1 other port for something else with low bandwidth like the headset (it is only transmitting audio over USB). Thus, if you are going to use a hub, connect it to an Intel USB 3.0 port in the rear and don't use the other 3 Intel USB ports for anything (assuming you are connecting both Sensors and headset to the hub). I dunno how much USB bandwidth other devices like a mouse or external hard drive use, but 3 sensors on one USB hub is a big no.

This reminds me of a random question related to USB bandwidth. Whenever I plug in a USB drive or external hdd, my wireless mouse also plugged in via usb starts chugging. Like the bandwidth is being heavily diverted to the flash drive. This is all going from the front USB panel on my case. Does this mean I should plug the mouse in at the back? I seem to remember the same problem happening there.

vermadas

Do not use a hub. Buy an actual expansion slot that you put into your PC.

The reason to get that particular hub is because it's one of the few that seem to provide adequate power for USB ports. I used to use the PCI-E Inateck card but moved to a Mini ITX box and that wasn't an option anymore. I saw people recommend this particular hub on reddit and the Oculus forums and thus far it's been rock solid for me. All that I have plugged into it are my three sensors, though one of those is effectively 2.0 speeds due to a 2.0 extension being used. I still use a separate port for my headset. I honestly had more problems with the Inateck card.

Estensions I use:

USB 3.0 30 feet - works fine despite being active.
USB 3.0 10 feet - one for sensor, one for headset
HDMI 10 feet - for the headset

Well almost everything worked well for me....

Turns out the usb 3.0 active extension I got for my sensors and headset causes crackling in the audio when used on my headset no matter what port.

For not I have the headset hooked up in 2.0 and am using the xbox controller small extension cable to gain a litlte bit of length but looks like ill need to find another extension cable that works.

Only other things ive noticed as a first time VR-er were that text comes off as a little halo glowy and can be hard to read. Almost like a partially focused image. Not sure if im missing something there. Otherwise so far its really neat!

VICI0US

Is it true the new 399 bundle no longer comes with Xbox1 controller and the touch games?

you'll still get all the touch games, they're phasing out the xbox 1 controller, wireless adapter, and oculus remote though.

oculus is already sold out of the xbox controller bundle, I think amazon might be as well, but best buy still has them in stock.

Wallach

you'll still get all the touch games, they're phasing out the xbox 1 controller, wireless adapter, and oculus remote though.

oculus is already sold out of the xbox controller bundle, I think amazon might be as well, but best buy still has them in stock.

Wait, they're phasing out the remote? It's so useful though. I'd be annoyed, it must cost like a dollar.

scitek

Is it true the new 399 bundle no longer comes with Xbox1 controller and the touch games?

The Xbox One controller comes bundled in the box with the headset, so they'd have to make SKUs specifically for this sale for it to not be included. No clue about the games, but they activate when you set the Rift up and create an account on the store.

Chumley

Banned

It still comes with an Xbox controller dude.

The reason to get that particular hub is because it's one of the few that seem to provide adequate power for USB ports. I used to use the PCI-E Inateck card but moved to a Mini ITX box and that wasn't an option anymore. I saw people recommend this particular hub on reddit and the Oculus forums and thus far it's been rock solid for me. All that I have plugged into it are my three sensors, though one of those is effectively 2.0 speeds due to a 2.0 extension being used. I still use a separate port for my headset. I honestly had more problems with the Inateck card.

Estensions I use:

USB 3.0 30 feet - works fine despite being active.
USB 3.0 10 feet - one for sensor, one for headset
HDMI 10 feet - for the headset

Is passive ok for USB 10 feet? I've heard conflicting things.

Is it alright to plug 3 sensors into USB 2.0? I'm using USB 2.0 for two sensors and it works just fine, but I'm not sure if going beyond that would cause problems. Saying this because my USB 3.0 is incompatible with my rift sensors. Even updating the USB drivers hasn't fixed anything.

Trying to get USB 3.0 to work with the sensors on my particular motherboard sounds like a huge pain in the ass. I read online people buying expansion USB 3.0 slots for their motherboard, and they have problems with the sensors connecting and reconnecting or issues with the headset sound.

If I can just stick with USB 2.0 and not have to deal with these headaches, then that would be great.

StonedRider

Yesss!!! The deal was briefly back in stock on amazon.de and I was able to place the order with express delivery! 27-28 july estimated delifery date. Waiting patiently.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Is it alright to plug 3 sensors into USB 2.0? I'm using USB 2.0 for two sensors and it works just fine, but I'm not sure if going beyond that would cause problems. Saying this because my USB 3.0 is incompatible with my rift sensors. Even updating the USB drivers hasn't fixed anything.

Trying to get USB 3.0 to work with the sensors on my particular motherboard sounds like a huge pain in the ass. I read online people buying expansion USB 3.0 slots for their motherboard, and they have problems with the sensors connecting and reconnecting or issues with the headset sound.

If I can just stick with USB 2.0 and not have to deal with these headaches, then that would be great.

Yes, plenty of people have used them in 2.0 without issues. My headset is in 2.0 and 2 of my sensors are 2.0 (out of 4) and it made no difference when I switched them all to 3.0

Chumley

Banned
It can still be purchased as an accessory but they are taking it out of the new packaging. It's useful but in the end redundant and not necessary.

It's still ridiculous. The Amazon $300 deal is almost half the price of what it's going to be in 5 weeks if you factor in the value of the controller and remote. I wonder how long it'll be until PC VR is $300 MSRP, which IMO is what it needs to be at the bare minimum before we start seeing mass market adoption.

I feel a little lame buying/spending most of my time with VR shooters considering I get enough of that with regular console gaming. I can't help it, shooting in VR is so much fun.

Yes, plenty of people have used them in 2.0 without issues. My headset is in 2.0 and 2 of my sensors are 2.0 (out of 4) and it made no difference when I switched them all to 3.0

You mean people with 3 sensors all plugged into USB 2.0 right? You had the headset and 2 sensors plugged into USB 2.0, and that's a different thing from what I'm talking about.

scitek

I feel a little lame buying/spending most of my time with VR shooters considering I get enough of that with regular console gaming. I can't help it, shooting in VR is so much fun.

Yeah, VR shooters are a totally different experience to me since you're actually aiming and dodging.

Imur

I am a little bit worried right now. I played Echo Arena for hours yesterday, basicly the whole day. I felt allright als long as I played but dizzy after going back in the real world. I went to bed and thought it will be allright in the moring - it isn't. I still feel sick. Not like vomitting but dizzy and like circulation problems. The funny thing is that it stops instantly if I go back to the game. It's like my body cant handle normal physics anymore.

I am sure it will be fine after 1 or 2 days without playing, but I am worried it will be like that every time. I wouldn't feel safe driving a car right now. Maybe it's just because I overdid it, maybe I will adept, but who knows...

I am a little bit worried right now. I played Echo Arena for hours yesterday, basicly the whole day. I felt allright als long as I played but dizzy after going back in the real world. I went to bed and thought it will be allright in the moring - it isn't. I still feel sick. Not like vomitting but dizzy and like circulation problems. The funny thing is that it stops instantly if I go back to the game. It's like my body cant handle normal physics anymore.

I am sure it will be fine after 1 or 2 days without playing, but I am worried it will be like that every time. I wouldn't feel safe driving a car right now. Maybe it's just because I overdid it, maybe I will adept, but who knows...

Not sure if we felt the same thing, but yeah, I also feel a little weird after taking the headset off after playing for a few hours. That same feeling progressed when I woke up in the morning. I eventually felt okay after awhile.

Make sure to take breaks often.

ElyrionX

Umm my USB 3.0 ports are Renesas and apparently not compatible according to the compatibility tool. My USB 2.0 ports are Intel though. Should I just try running everything through USB 2.0? Headset hasn't arrived.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

You mean people with 3 sensors all plugged into USB 2.0 right? You had the headset and 2 sensors plugged into USB 2.0, and that's a different thing from what I'm talking about.

Actually my full config is 4xsensors so
- headset at 2.0
- 2 sensors at 2.0
- 2 sensors at 3.0

To give you the robustness of tracking. I didn't notice a difference when using all 4 at 2.0 or 3.0. I also tried 3 at 2.0. In every case my tracking was perfect. For the hell of it I tried a single tracker at 2.0 and headset at 2.0 and to my surprise yes, tracking was perfect. Obviously I ran into occlusion turning around but my touch controllers tracked perfectly in my playspace. I'm not sure why oculus doesn't just drop that requirement down to 2.0

Edit: I shouldn't say tracking was perfect with a single tracker. I had to make a much smaller playspace because a single tracker gave me wobble with my larger playspace but it worked perfect within 2m - 2.5m from the single tracker.

Soi-Fong

Umm my USB 3.0 ports are Renesas and apparently not compatible according to the compatibility tool. My USB 2.0 ports are Intel though. Should I just try running everything through USB 2.0? Headset hasn't arrived.

You'll need two 3.0 ports. There's not enough bandwidth in 2.0 to handle all that data. I suggest getting a USB port that plugs into your motherboard.

I received the pack yesterday.

What a wonderful experience, just the oculus dreamdeck was pure awesome.

Now I'm downloading a ton of free apps and vr games from the steam library.

I still don't know how people don't see this is the future...

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

If you see my post below yours you'll see I've run everything in 2.0 and didn't encounter any problems or differences.

Dave_6

This is fucking hilarious because I was also wondering where the hell the microphone was.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...crophone_wish_i_knew/?st=j552u6p7&sh=8e67c9fd

LMAO, this is great. I tried out Echo Arena for the first time last night. Got through the tutorial and didn't realize it was going to throw me into a MP lobby. I could hear other people talking but I figured they were just using their own mics somehow. Glad I didn't say anything stupid lol.

MDave

I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks before I can place an order. It's still pretty expensive, and I don't think I have the room for it. I'm mostly intrigued in losing myself in a fully immersive space sim game, mainly exploring and interacting with planets, and a little combat. Not sure if this is the way to go, and which game is best for that kind of thing.

EDIT: Damn, top of page. Still an amazing price considering what it launched at and what it didn't come with initially, but my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom