• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

fernoca

Eteric Rice said:
I don't really think sandbox type games are a good idea on the Wii anyway.

Maybe a mature game with a good story that takes place in a small city? Maybe stylize it as well?
a1lkqw.jpg

wazoo

Saint Gregory said:
I just started playing Motorstorm ($15 at Target) and if Excite Truck is really better I might have to break down and pick it up... Why is Excite Truck still full price new a year and a half after launch again?

I own both, I much prefer Motorstorm is the more visceral game

Scrubking said:
if EA gets GTA then you can forget about GTA Wii altogether because they definitely won't put GTA on the Wii

I don't know why you would be so confident about that.

If the EA purchase goes through and they already have an engine that works on the Wii and PSP, I don't see them not - at worst - just backdating the storyline, missions, licensed music and character art of GTA4: Vice City (or whatever) into a Wii, PS2 and PSP port.

It's not like the gameplay of GTA4 is so very different than it's predecessors that such a thing would be impossible to do, and sales would almost certainly justify it. EA have already shown that they can do justice to the Wiimotes potential with the Godfather
and it would be fucking hilarious to see an 'old engine' version of GTA get better reviews due to a better control scheme in favour of ragdolls

Azelover said:
I think Wii Sports, Boom Blox, Mario Galaxy and Zelda are fairly neutral looking, and not all of them need to not be "hardcore". No More Heroes, Okami, Mad World is I think the wrong way to go visually, but that's my opinion.

Personally, I think going with highly stylised graphics works in the Wiis favour in lessening its technical flaws - attempts at photorealism are always going to leave it looking worse off in any comparisons with 360 / PS3 games.

Wind Waker (for example) to me still looks more impressive than Twilight Princess does, and Mario Galaxy can hold its own with similar styled HD console games in terms of looks purely because of design.

You might not personally like the design of Zack & Wiki, but when you look at the unlockable concept arts for it, they really nailed the look in game. Then again, I've always been a fan of the cel shaded look.

Lobster

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Maybe a mature game with a good story that takes place in a small city? Maybe stylize it as well?

Scarface works really well and has better graphics than every GTA except 4 of course.

Give it a go. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it if you enjoyed Vice City.

Eteric Rice said:
On the other consoles it's likely that they can make better use of the specs with a huge city. On the Wii it'd be kind of barren and lifeless.

It's not that you can't do a good sandbox enviorment on the Wii, it's just that I haven't seen one yet. :|

How good was the sandbox portion of this game?

Yeah.

Rockstar produced some pretty damn alive cities on the PS2, there's a ton of potential for the genre on the (quite significantly) more powerful Wii.

Mr Epic

Banned
Originally Posted by Scrubking:
if EA gets GTA then you can forget about GTA Wii altogether because they definitely won't put GTA on the Wii

Wrong. EA is one of the biggest Wii supporters and the sheer sales numbers alone say that they would definitely put the next installment on Wii in some fashion, even a toned-down version.

SpokkX

:lol

It has come down to comparing Wii to both PS3 and 360?

Who would have believeed in this coming during the Gamecube era?

pswii60

SpokkX said:
:lol

It has come down to comparing Wii to both PS3 and 360?

Who would have believeed in this coming during the Gamecube era?
I know. But I think for third party games it makes sense. They generally seem to look at 360 + PS3 + PC as one platform (due to porting), and Wii as another.

Sadist

Meier said:
Look at its sales on the PS2. The game was just a bomb in general.

They'd be smart to release Vice City and San Andreas on the Wii -- I bet both would sell a million copies.
NOOOOO no more ports!

donny2112 said:
... and that was before they saw the lower than expected first week sales of GTA IV on PS3/360 and the near total lack of impact to those systems' userbases. I think there is a great possibility that they are rethinking any executive's assumptions about how best to maximize their profits. In fact, I think the entire industry is likely to be rethinking a lot of assumptions about this generation after seeing these numbers. :lol
Great possibillity, I hear that every damn time when the Wii sales baffle the gaming industry and the sales watchers, but do you see any new and big Wii projects? (Except for the awesome Mad World) Not really. I see Pitfall, Rogue Trooper, Lost in Blue, Rock Revolution (without periphirals) and so on. Those games were announced last week, but are they serious efforts? Nope, they are not. I'm on your side, the excecutives should rethink there current console strategies, but will they? They seem happy with the titles that brings in the money.

Saint Gregory said:
So I'm guessing that the chances of there being a Wii Platinum Hits line are pretty slim then eh?
Nintendo stated there were no plans for Wii Platinum line.

MrNyarlathotep said:
You might not personally like the design of Zack & Wiki, but when you look at the unlockable concept arts for it, they really nailed the look in game. Then again, I've always been a fan of the cel shaded look.

I'm not talking about the design as a whole, just the designs of the speaking characters, by which the game presents itself to the world on the cover. I love the cel-shading, environments and bosses.

Xater

when will those numbers finally make 3rd parties do better games? Besides Trauma Center and Boom Blox I don't think I played anything good from a 3rd Party.

The numbers are really depressing considering the state of the console.

Eteric Rice

pswii60 said:
I know. But I think for third party games it makes sense. They generally seem to look at 360 + PS3 + PC as one platform (due to porting), and Wii as another.

God, how much does the Wii have to sell before they stop that crazy shit?

-MB-

pswii60 said:

It does not make sense, pc versions alone don't even sell enough copies to return a proper profit, 3 versions also would mean allot more money spend on development, also diminishing revenue. This 360+ps3+pc vs wii argument is just used by the delusional people that just don't want wii or nintendo to win over 3rd parties.
Ignoring wii is not sensible for 3rd parties, cheap to dev for, potential huge profits to be made if they approach it properly, ie. no crappy shovelware or ports, but catering to wii's strengths. So far no 3rd party has even tried an honest big budgetted core game that tries to do it properly. No gta's dmc's ff's whatever have even be considered, just crappy old ps2/psp ports, which don't convince wii owners to get them, as sales prove. Wii owners are not stupid, as much as some delusional fanboy like to make u think otherwise.

justchris

Eteric Rice said:

You see, this right here is the problem and cause of all the whining in this thread.

The Wii is a video game console. It has a control scheme, is capable of graphics, physics and sound, online play; all the things you need to make a video game. To say that any type of game, regardless of genre, style or presentation, is not "suited" to the Wii doesn't make any damn sense. Any game you care to create will work just fine on the Wii if you bother to put the effort into making it work. I mean, people managed to make FPS work on dual analog, so obviously damn near anything is possible.

Now, you could say a particular type of game is not suited to the userbase of the Wii, but you do realize that, if those games were on the Wii, then the userbase who likes those games would buy a Wii? I mean, are all you people out there who refuse to touch the Wii honestly telling me that if GTA4, MGS4, GeoW, COD4, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Rock Band and Portal all be Wii exclusives that you would have forgone buying a Wii and stuck with your 360/PS3 and ignored these megahyped games?

The image the Wii has is entirely a result of the games people put on it, and if publishers refuse to put a particular type of game on the console, then the people who play that type of game aren't going to want the console. And they're going to continue to whine that the Wii is killing gaming, when really it's 3rd party's faults for not trying to introduce this new gaming audience to the existing genre's we love on a machine they're actually willing to play.

But to say that the system itself is unsuited for that type of game is neither logical nor sensible.

-MB- said:
No gta's dmc's ff's whatever have even be considered, just crappy old ps2/psp ports, which don't convince wii owners to get them, as sales prove. Wii owners are not stupid, as much as some delusional fanboy like to make u think otherwise.

This is the part 3rd parties don't seem to grasp, These people buying wiisports and other Nintendo games are instantly accustomed to quality and in time they are able to tell what games are shitty and won't go anywhere near them.

Its the same with the exclusives. Create a great fun(with effort) exclusive for Nintendo and people will buy them in droves, port it over to another console and your sequel is doomed.

BeG&E going to HD is a doomed project, just ask Capcom about Viewtiful Joe

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thunder Monkey said:
There's been a fuckton of graphs.

Just much earlier in the thread.

Here's my favorite from donny2112:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h99/thundermonkey128/apr2008.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/oa3zp0.jpg

RJT

-MB- said:
It does not make sense, 3 versions also would mean allot more money spend on development, also diminishing revenue. This 360+ps3+pc vs wii argument is just used by the delusional people that just don't want wii or nintendo to win over 3rd parties.
I does make sense to have a game being wii exclusive or PS3+360+PC. What doesn't make sense is make a PS3/360 exclusive or a Wii port of a PS3/360 game. Both of them are just dumb.

Developers:
Make games tailored for the Wii, and make them Wii exclusives.
Make games tailored for high specs machines, and make them PS3/360/PC.

Gamers:
Buy a Wii and one of the alternatives. Really, it is not an option to have only one system, or you will miss out on a ton of great games.

-MB- said:
pc versions alone don't even sell enough copies to return a proper profit
It is so easy to port a game from 360 to PC that it is profitable to do so (even if at a later date, like Mass Effect or Assasin's Creed).

Neo C.

Eteric Rice said:
God, how much does the Wii have to sell before they stop that crazy shit?
Enough to push the smart companies ahead which decide to support the Wii with good games. And enough to make the stubborn ones regretting for leaving tons of money on the table. The Wii should reach 50 million units sold next year, so we'll see if it's "enough".

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Neo C. said:
The Wii should reach 50 million units sold next year, so we'll see if it's "enough".
They will be 50 millions of kids, alpha moms and Nintendo fans who only buy Nintendo games, obviously.

RE: PC being lumped into hd consoles.

Most of the time, console to pc ports just plain sucks. The game isn't designed with the pc in mind so controls often suck.ass. PC gamers are also a bit...snobby.

Alot of them(us, lol) like think that most console designed games are child's play compared to god games with sophisticated ai, RTS with complex counter systems and build orders, fps with superior mouse controls, sim games with a vast array of user created content that dwarfs that anything found on consoles, etc.

Haunted

pswii60 said:
Wii/PS2/PC > PC/360/PS3

Just sayin'.

Then again, as soon as Wii > 360/PS3 combined, that debate should be obsolete again. >_<

andthebeatgoeson

BakedPigeon said:
LOL @ all the people who expected some kind of extreme boost in PS3 ans X360 hardware sales. One single game is not going to push some insane number of consoles. Kudos to MS for fending off the PS3, I think it just goes to show that GTA does not have that much "sony branding" pull towards gamers like it use to.
Wii Sports?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Xater said:
when will those numbers finally make 3rd parties do better games? Besides Trauma Center and Boom Blox I don't think I played anything good from a 3rd Party.

The numbers are really depressing considering the state of the console.

Well, it's not a secret that third parties were too quick to jump to the PS3... The Wii massacre was something nobody expected, and last year Wii sales were constrained due to low shipments (this is still true, but Nintendo has increased the production considerably).

So, when will the good Wii 3rd party games be announced?

Easy. E3.

Because after Wii Fit, Nintendo has nothing announced besides Disaster DoC. I don't think Animal Crossing Wii has been announced either... just hinted. So it's obvious that Nintendo is saving all their shit to make a huge E3 announcement.

-MB-

For those who think the ps3+360 combined vs wii is valid. Allot of the owners of either systems have the other one also so that means they woudl just get 1 of the versions so just adding the installed base of teh 2 together doesn't really work. At some point 3rd parties just cannot ignore the huge salespotential of a game on the wii once it's install base gets bigger and bigger and as Haunted One already pointed out, at the rate it's going now the wii will be bigger in install base as ps3 and 360 combined, then this argument won't work anymore either.

-MB- said:
For those who think the ps3+360 combined vs wii is valid. Allot of the owners of either systems have the other one also so that means they woudl just get 1 of the versions so just adding the installed base of teh 2 together doesn't really work. At some point 3rd parties just cannot ignore the huge salespotential of a game on the wii once it's install base gets bigger and bigger and as Haunted One already pointed out, at the rate it's going now the wii will be bigger in install base as ps3 and 360 combined, then this argument won't work anymore either.
Oh that's easy.

Hardcores=buys more games.

Or some shit.

Sadist

manueldelalas said:

Easy. E3.

Because after Wii Fit, Nintendo has nothing announced besides Disaster DoC. I don't think Animal Crossing Wii has been announced either... just hinted. So it's obvious that Nintendo is saving all their shit to make a huge E3 announcement.
But Nintendo is not a third party. And the hope for E3 to bring something significant news is really, really low.

fresquito

Eteric Rice said:

I strongly disagree.

While it's obvious that graphics can never get anything near GTAIV, they can be a jump over San Andreas, which is fine in my book. So no need to have barren lands. Yes, those graphics look ugly by today stanrdards, but I don't give a fuck as long as the game can offer a great experience.

Godfather and Scarface have both proven that sandbox games would benefit a lot from wiimote controls. I've played GTAIV and it's lots of fun, but double analog aiming feels cluncky to mee. Combat too. Not that you can't do any better on traditional systems, but when well done is much more rewarding on the Wii.

Besides, wiimote opens a lot of chances for interaction in the minigames GTA is known for. So, yes, I don't think we'll ever see a proper GTA, but just saying.

DNF

oa3zp0.jpg

[PS4]: It was five years ago. You hadn't promoted yourself to the best selling next-gen console in america yet. You were just a fad. Huh! My father should have been the best selling console of all time. A console with a simple code: graphics. He gathered a few games that he could stand against you. The month GTA4 released you smashed his sales as you ran away! A hero... at a thousand paces.

[WII]: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.

[PS4]: You don't remember ???

[WII]: For you, the month GTA4 released was the most important month of your life. But for me, it was just April.

1-D_FTW

After seeing all of today's ads, I'm really curious about how well We Ski is gonna sell. If Namco printed a lot of copies, I could see it doing really well.

Jokeropia

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, that's it! That's why I own everything else: PC/360/PS3/PSP/DS. No, it can't be that I just don't know it's appeal?
So why the need for pretenses like "it's not for me as a hardcore gamer" or "I dont want mini-type quick games on consoles" (as if such games are the best ones on Wii)?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think the biggest problem for PS3 and 360 is the fact that you essentially need to buy a HDTV and HDMI cables to experience it properly. Something that unless you are employed or born into a wealthy family, the experience of playing a somewhat cheap Wii is vastly superior than saving your hard-earnt pennies for the thrill of a HD rigged console.

I know I didn't bother buying a PS3 till a few months ago when GT5:p hit (relatively waiting for MGS4 to pop by), and I had the money available for a decent HDTV. Essentially it created what should've been a $600AUD purchase, ended up costing $2K+ AUD. Of course I enjoy my HDTV without the consoles attached to it, but at the same time I don't know anyone in my immediate vicinity who has bought a PS3/360 that doesn't own a HDTV as well.

Also never forget the main crowd who Nintendo are trying to penetrate into. They are the same ones who were jealous of my partner buying Wii Fit yesterday during her work break. All were female and have never touched a gaming system since the NES. The "hardcore" gamers who have been playing Nintendo games since they were a kid will always buy a Nintendo console so the company never has to fret about trying to persuade those consumers.

Xater

manueldelalas said:
Well, it's not a secret that third parties were too quick to jump to the PS3... The Wii massacre was something nobody expected, and last year Wii sales were constrained due to low shipments (this is still true, but Nintendo has increased the production considerably).

Easy. E3.

I really hope this E3 will change that or else the Wii will be the new Gamecube for me with a new game every 3-6 months.

Eteric Rice

Jokeropia said:
So why the need for pretenses like "it's not for me as a hardcore gamer" or "I dont want mini-type quick games on consoles" (as if such games are the best ones on Wii)?

Perhaps the types of games he likes isn't on the Wii yet? If things keep going like they are, I'm sure some more "hardcore" stuff will be there eventually.

I really hope this E3 will change that or else the Wii will be the new Gamecube for me with a new game every 3-6 months.

I wouldn't count on E3 to much, considering it's a shell of it's former self.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
manueldelalas said:

Easy. E3.

Final Fantasy 13 Wii
Resident Evil 5 Wii
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Wii-exclusive)

BELIEFE

Actually I'm just hoping to get some news on AC, KI, DoC, and TCB.

Sadist

DNF said:

[PS4]: It was five years ago. You hadn't promoted yourself to the best selling next-gen console in america yet. You were just a fad. Huh! My father should have been the best selling console of all time. A console with a simple code: graphics. He gathered a few games that he could stand against you. The month GTA4 released you smashed his sales as you ran away! A hero... at a thousand paces.

[WII]: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.

[PS4]: You don't remember ???

[WII]: For you, the month GTA4 released was the most important month of your life. But for me, it was just April.
:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom