• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

RJT

CTLance said:
Man, Crushed would've had a field day in this thread. Shame he's banned. Again.(
Yeah, it's a shame he missed the best NPD thread in months. What did he do this time?

Flakster99

WrikaWrek said:
I don't believe that there's a single poster on Gaf that only has a Wii.

I understand the idea of thinking something through before posting is a difficult, novel concept, but some of you have to forth a better effort. What a retarded statement that cannot be proven or dis-proven.

While I own a Wii and a 360, and plan on purchasing a PS3 whenever it suits my gaming needs, each home console acts as an extension of what the DS currently offers me, and as such, the DS is my main system of choice and everything else, at this point, complements this fine system.

So who cares if someone is getting the same fun out of the Wii singularly as some of us are through via multiple systems. Gaming is gaming.

Some Highlights:

Next-Gen.biz said:
Matt Matthews offers up in-depth analysis of this month's NPD stats. Here you'll find new perspective on the launch of GTA IV, in a historical framework. Also, detailed insight into the strange twists and turns in the hardware race. If you only read one feature this month, make sure it's this one...
Expectations ran high Thursday as the NPD Group released its figures for April 2008 videogame sales. Both Sony and Microsoft representatives had spoken publicly about increases in hardware sales alongside the release of Grand Theft Auto 4. The actual figures were shockingly low: neither the Xbox 360 nor the PlayStation 3 had sold more than 190,000 units during the April period.

Even more amazing, the Nintendo Wii had sold in excess of 700,000 systems for the month. As we tour the April 2008 numbers for hardware and software, we'll cover the overall console race, possible price drops, historical perspective on the launch figures for Grand Theft Auto 4, and try to estimate how much of the market value we can attribute to each of the big three – Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony.

april-2008-npd-next-gen_html_m4c6e95c5.gif

april-2008-npd-next-gen_html_62b21e4b.gif

april-2008-npd-next-gen_html_7b056cff.gif

april-2008-npd-next-gen_html_6ea9d1c.png

The Microsoft Outlook

While Microsoft indicated it saw an increase in Xbox 360 sales alongside the launch of GTA4, sales for the month were lower than many expected. Some analysts have indicated that the expected bump in hardware sales will appear in the May sales figures. Regardless, the pressure is now on Microsoft to drop its prices.

Looking back, Microsoft chose to maintain the launch pricing of the Xbox 360 from November 2005 until August 2007. Apparently this resistance to price cutting helped push the Xbox project into the black, as had been previously promised. However, given the jump in sales after the price drop, Microsoft may have held its own platform back and lost significant ground to the Nintendo Wii in the meantime.

Microsoft probably should have cut the price of the Xbox 360 in February of this year. With a surefire product like GTA4 imminent, such a price cut would have spurred sales and set the stage for a very strong April. Remember that by the time Vice City launched on the PS2, that console was selling for only $200. However, if we take Microsoft's claim of hardware shortages earlier this year at face value, then it is entirely possible that an earlier price drop would simply have exacerbated its uncomfortable position. That is, it would have been in the embarrassing situation of dropping prices while not being able to offer the system to consumers.

Microsoft still has a strong software portfolio, and both Madden NFL 09 and Gears of War 2 should sell very well in the second half of the year. Provided its supply issues have been worked out, Microsoft should drop its hardware prices by $50 across the board. In doing so, it will undercut the Nintendo Wii while also putting downward pressure on the PlayStation 3.

The Sony Outlook

Just last week Sony executives appeared to signal that a price drop was not in the cards for the PlayStation 3. In particular, Nobuyuki Oneda (Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer) said that Sony expected to ship around 10 million PS3 systems in the coming year (a very modest year-on-year increase) and that they did not think they would need to adjust prices to reach that shipment target. The motive here is profitability, perhaps at the expense of marketshare.

A look at the monthly sales figures for the PS3, however, reveals that when the rate drops low enough Sony is forced to make adjustments. Sony first adjusted in July 2007, after system sales had dropped for several months straight. After a short bump, PS3 sales began to decline again going into the Holiday 2007 period, and Sony reduced the top price of its system to $500 and introduced its $400 model. Now system sales are declining again, and if they continue through May, a summer price drop seems Sony's only option.

It does have the alternative of adding value to the PS3, and for once this doesn't mean packing a game in with the system. Sony has announced that it will begin to introduce a video service in the near future, perhaps as early as this summer. If the PlayStation 3 can position itself as a video-on-demand player with quality content, an inexpensive Blu-Ray player, as well as a machine that plays Grand Theft Auto 4, then Sony could well have a winning combination. This adjustment, however, will not attract consumers who simply do not (or cannot) spend $400 on an entertainment device, regardless of the features.

If the PSP and PlayStation 2 were still providing a strong foundation for Sony, then the PS3 might still have time to find its footing. However, April marks two months of decreasing weekly sales rates for all three of its hardware platforms. It is unclear how much longer Sony can rely on impressive sounding “PlayStation brand” sales figures after each month's NPD figures are released.

The Nintendo Outlook

What to say about Nintendo that we haven't already said? Wii hardware sales have increased in tandem with increasing supply and Nintendo games are regularly taking several spots in the top 10 software chart. As noted last month, they are supplying their own big games on a regular basis and setting the standard for how to make successful software. The only thing they could do in addition to their current strategy is help more third parties break into the top 10.

The only question we have at this point is whether we will continue to see monthly declines in Nintendo DS hardware sales. Would Nintendo be more likely at this point to refresh the Nintendo DS hardware as it did in mid-2006, drop the price of the existing system, or look toward a new handheld?

With such robust hardware and software sales, it will be interesting to watch how well-received Wii Fit is during May. Expect a lot of discussion to be generated should Wii Fit make the top 10 software chart in May.

Marketshare Estimates: Nintendo on Top

Recently we have been interested in what share of the market can be attributed to each of the big three (Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony). In January and February of this year, Microsoft's press releases gave monthly consumer spending data on the Xbox 360 (including software and accessories), as well as cumulative LTD consumer spending on the Xbox 360. In March and April, however, only the LTD figures appeared in Microsoft's press materials. Here is a possible explanation for the missing monthly spend figures: consumers are now spending more per month on the Nintendo Wii than they are on the Xbox 360.

By looking just at hardware sales and known software sales figures from the top 10, we can establish a minimum that consumers spent on the Wii in April 2008: $280 million. We estimate that at least $100 million more can be attributed to the Wii (from third party software and accessories), putting it close to $400 million, or nearly 1/3 of all videogame dollars spent during the month of April. Add in sales of Nintendo DS hardware (over $50 million) and Pokemon software (over $14 million) along with all other Nintendo DS software and Nintendo could easily have sold in excess of $500 million, nearing a majority of the videogame market for the month. (For the record, we have requested figures directly in the past, but the NPD Group does not supply this data to the press.)

We can get at the Nintendo figure another way: subtracting Microsoft's and Sony's marketshares from the total value of the market in April. According to Sony's press release last week, the “PlayStation brand” accounted for $387 million of sales for the month. Moreover, Microsoft's press releases have indicated that consumers had spent $9.4 billion on the Xbox 360 through the end of March and $9.7 billion on the Xbox 360 through the end of April. So the maximum value of the Xbox 360 market in April was $390 million. The remainder is over $450 million, and that should all belong to Nintendo.

Either way, it appears that Nintendo accounted for around $450 to $500 million of the videogame industry's revenue in April 2008. We will try to keep track of these figures in future months to see how these figures change.

Very interesting and well-made analysis.

Direct Link to the Website

Xater

shidoshi said:
Obviously I don't want to say that I hope other gamers get screwed over just for my benefit, but I fear the mass exodus of companies and their games to the Wii should it happen. As somebody with an HDTV, I don't want to go back to the non-HD world anymore, and Nintendo's one decision in that regard ended up taking their console from an interesting new system to something I don't want to invest a lot of my gaming efforts into for me. I honestly thought that the lack of HD wouldn't be a big deal, but then I got my new TV, and I've just come to realize that I don't want that world anymore.

If we get a better balance of games going multi-platform, that'd be awesome. The Wii is getting really dumped on shovelware wise, and it deserves far better games. That said, I don't want it to be an exodus, and some of the games that have already gone Wii only (like Fatal Frame) tick me off. If a lot more titles start going to the Wii and only the Wii, I'll understand the reasoning for companies, but I'll hate the results.

Hey I love my HDTV and my HD consoles as much as the next one but I would love to see some great games for the Wii too. Otherwise I will continue to question myself if it was a good investment.

The thing is that Boom Blox or Trauma Center which are pretty simple games are awesome. If moe 3rd parties could be at least as creative I would be happy.

For me it's for the most part a Nintendo player which is not a bad thing but it's not like that's enough output for me.

Tiktaalik

norinrad21 said:
I don't think you have an idea who huge this group actually is, look around for sales on the N64 and Gc and you will be on to something.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know how big this group is. In my own personal experience I don't know any gamers at all who have just a Wii, but it would be silly to say they don't exist.

I don't think the numbers from the N64 and the Gamecube are directly comparable, since the N64 got a great start by being the natural successor to the enormously popular SNES, and the Gamecube was an equal competitor to the Xbox and PS2. The Wii is a different creature.

These demographic issues are absolutely key to deciding what sort of game you'll release on the Wii. Considering how heavily 3rd party publishers have been leaning toward releasing games for the youth and casual audience, I would have to believe one of two things. Either they've done the research and found that the core and hardcore demographic on the Wii is not significant enough to be worthwhile, or they're just guessing and emulating Nintendo based on the success of Nintendo's casual games.

Xater

Tiktaalik said:
I'll be the first to admit I don't know how big this group is. In my own personal experience I don't know any gamers at all who have just a Wii, but it would be silly to say they don't exist.

Just from my personal experience. I have 3 friends who are hardcore Nintendo nuts, you know the worst kind. They only ever had Nintendo consoles but this gen even they don't get enough play time out of their Wii so they got themselves PS3s.

Those really can not be the only Nintards that are unhappy with the Wii games situation.

Scrubking

Neomoto said:
Third parties are full of shit (on Wii). They will not announce a slew of awesome games on E3. You know who will though? Nintendo. Again. Almost all their internal EAD teams, Retro and Intelligent Systems have been working on new Wii games quite some time (and if the rumours are believed Factor 5 on Kid Icarus). Aninal Crossing Wii and Wii Music are nearing completion since they will be out in Japan this year (Disaster: Day of Crisis too) and the other not even a handfull of titles are outsourced. So it'll be mostly new Nintendo games and a handfull of titles from third party's which we most likely already know most of.

Perhaps there will be some surprises (I hope so), but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been more than 1.5 years of absolute crushing of the Wii. Halo 3 and GTA IV have come and Wii walked away unscratched while breaking history records and achieving incredible sales all while having massive shortages. And yet, what have third parties done so far? Inferior ports, ps2 and sometimes even psp ports, shovelware, shitty non-games and litterly a handfull of good titles. I have owned my Wii since launch and I love it, but it sure as hell not thanks to third parties.

It makes you wonder how stupid some of the mega publishers are. Not one has even tried one single "big" budget high profile game on Wi, yet continue to come with dumbass excuses or whatever and continue to release crap. Wii has proven itself in all directions, even that there is infact a vast market for core games (Wii's top 'core' games sales can easily compete with those on Xbox360).

If Nintendo's forecast for fiscal year 2009 holds true (I think they'll exceed it, since they are always conservative, and this is their first forecast at the beginning of the new fiscal year), they'll have a userbase of 50+ fucking million people. That would beat Xbox360 and PS3 total userbase by that time combined easily. Factor in the advantages of Wii development and you have to wonder what the fuck they are all doing. At least release a Wii version alongside x360 / ps3 version instead of nothing for fuck sake. Even fucking WiiWare is set to look much better than Wii's line-up from third parties.
QFT

Cheez-It

Neomoto: I remember reading one reasonable explanation given on these boards. The current userbase of the Wii is a bit behind the combined userbase of the PS3 and 360 (and PC I suppose).

Granted, the Wii should be cheaper to develop for (devkit costs, SD content = less focus on idiotic things like rendering acne)...

It is perplexing though. You would think there would be far more support than there has been thus far. I'm still hoping these organizations come to their senses, either through intelligent decision making or shareholder intervention.

*edit: Saint Gregory: I'm sure they've been stockpiling, but keep in mind that Wii Fit isn't as simple to manufacture, distribute, and stock as a typical game...

LCGeek

formerly sane
speedpop said:
I think the biggest problem for PS3 and 360 is the fact that you essentially need to buy a HDTV and HDMI cables to experience it properly. Something that unless you are employed or born into a wealthy family, the experience of playing a somewhat cheap Wii is vastly superior than saving your hard-earnt pennies for the thrill of a HD rigged console.

VGA Cable or component transcoders you don't need to waste money on a HDTV that may upscale all your signals badly or for that matter may not support all the resolutions you desire.

ksamedi

Tiktaalik said:
I think a many of these publishers have experienced failure on previous Nintendo consoles and handhelds so often that even with the high install base of the Wii, it still doesn't look like a sure bet.

I think the demographics of Wii owners are maybe not that friendly. I've been thinking about it recently, and you can break the Wii owners into a few distinct groups. You have Wii's owned by children where their parents buy the games (a traditional audience on a Nintendo system), you have Wii's owned as 2nd (or 3rd) systems by hardcore gamers (us) and then you have new gamers brought in by Wii Sports etc. Finally, you have (hard?)core gamers that only have a Wii.

The first group is the traditional Nintendo kid audience. Parents know Nintendo games are good and safe and they get bought a lot. Sega has done well here with this group as well. I think you see 3rd parties try to make games for this group quite a bit, but the quality is all over the place, and Nintendo games still do well because the Nintendo logo is sort of like a quality seal to stand out from the crap.

Hardcore gamers with a Wii as a second system could probably appreciate a big budget game on the Wii, since these are the folks asking for it the most, but why even release it for them on the Wii? They have a 360 or PS3 as well so just release it on those consoles.

New gamers. A big unknown. How many of them just bought Wii Play and then just put it in the closet? How many have caught the Wii bug and have got Guitar Hero 3 and are planning to get Wii Fit? Would this group be served by a big budget game when most of the games they've bought are non-games? The one 3rd party title I've seen for this group that looks good and isn't a non-game is We Ski. It should be interesting to see how that does, since it hits all 4 groups really.

Does the final group exist? (hard?)core gamers that only have a Wii would certainly be crying out for a big budget title, but I have to wonder how large this group actually is. I feel at this point if you're a gamer that actually buys games at a decent rate you have more than a Wii. If you only have a Wii it means you're satisfied by one Nintendo game every 2-3 months and that can not be appealing to a 3rd party company that wants you to buy their game.

I've only really been thinking about Wii demographics and the breakdown since yesterday, so I'm still formulating my thoughts about it. If there's another group you think got missed jump in and add it.

There really isn't such a big distinction between types of gamers. A big budget game on the Wii has a much wider userbase to appeal to for example because even new gamers could decide to buy such a title. Its not realistic to think that only a certain type of gamer will buy it unless its a specific niche title that has a limited userbase. Also, you seem to think that hardcore gamers don't appreciate the Wii interface yet there are a lot of people here on these boards who ask for a proper Wii game even though they own 360 or PS3's. I think the Wiimote is just more appealing to a lot of people.

Jammy

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
Should? What kind of massive undershipping to the U.S. would it take to make that happen?

It should be number one. I believe Reggie said Nintendo would have a million Wii Fits out on day one. Then again, it might not count for software and instead go towards the accessories numbers.

May's NPD will look the same as April pretty much.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Saint Gregory said:
Should? What kind of massive undershipping to the U.S. would it take to make that happen?

It's funny because Nintendo is shipping more to the big box stores instead of the Gamestops and EBgames. Wii Fit is going over 1 million this month.

milanbaros

Member?
I'm at a loss to the 3rd party situation too. Wouldn't a big budget Wii game cost only a little more than a standard PS3/360 game? I've given up on the hope that they were caught off gaurd by the Wii's success and leaning more towards fear of Nintendo's first party software and simple stupidity.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
bigmakstudios said:
What? A Mario game has already been released in Super Mario Galaxy... which IPs are you referring to?

Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I'm talking sales wise.

WrikaWrek said:

I own consoles to compliment my PC.

The Wii and DS have certain uses. PS3 we'll see in the next 6 months, while the 360 has nothing to offer me that my PC doesn't already do better.

Of the currently supported consoles, I have only a Wii, DS, and PS2. The only PS360 games I want that won't be available on PC are Dead Rising and the Pixeljunk series.

The number of 'hardcore' gamers that only own a Wii is an irrelevant number, anyway. What matters are the number of gamers interested in buying 'hardcore' Wii games.

SuomiDude

WrikaWrek said:
Well here's one. And I'm not planning to get a PS3 or XBox 360, I simply don't need those consoles (there's very few games on those consoles that interest me). I mainly play Nintendo games, and even then I don't have time for all of the big titles either (hell, I still don't have Fire Emblem or Mario Kart for example, although they both are must-have titles for me). Sure there's some 3rd party titles even on Wii that I'm interested in (like Zack & Wiki), but like I said, I don't even have time (and at the moment, money) for all of the Nintendo titles.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Pureauthor said:
Pokemon Battle Revolution already came out, and you're not getting a full-fledged Pokemon console game, so don't bother wishing for it.

You really think Nintendo are going to stick to the IP rulebook this generation?

Personally, I have no desire for either of these games on Wii, Nintendo's chairmen might feel a little different.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ghst said:
Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I'm talking sales wise.

Pokemon's already out and I'm pretty sure Mario Kart is gonna dwarf any sales AC has, unless AC is some kind of radical advancement for the series (AC is my favorite game series, in any case).

Jammy

Banned
I only have a Wii right now.

As a college student, class, studying, work, and friends take up the majority of my time. Now that its summer I've been hanging out with different groups of people, watching movies, going out, etc.

There's no reason only having a Wii shouldn't satisfy typical everyday people for a few hours here or there a few days a week.

The great thing is, friends and females LOVE the Wii, so there are times where you can just hang out at somebody's house once you've discovered that not much more to do that you've exhausted already, and just play. 360 and PS3 just don't offer that same experience.

Shiggy

Cheez-It said:
Neomoto: I remember reading one reasonable explanation given on these boards. The current userbase of the Wii is a bit behind the combined userbase of the PS3 and 360 (and PC I suppose).

Granted, the Wii should be cheaper to develop for (devkit costs, SD content = less focus on idiotic things like rendering acne)...

It is perplexing though. You would think there would be far more support than there has been thus far. I'm still hoping these organizations come to their senses, either through intelligent decision making or shareholder intervention.

*edit: Saint Gregory: I'm sure they've been stockpiling, but keep in mind that Wii Fit isn't as simple to manufacture, distribute, and stock as a typical game...

At least NamcoBandai is not going to approve new X360/PS3 titles that don't seem to become a that big success, at least that's their stance since summer 2007. Games in pre-production phase like Rebelstar, a revival of the GBA franchise for next-gen consoles, were killed of due to "restructures". I think this could have happened more often at other publishers too, especially in Japan.

Eteric Rice

Tiktaalik said:
I think a many of these publishers have experienced failure on previous Nintendo consoles and handhelds so often that even with the high install base of the Wii, it still doesn't look like a sure bet.

I think the demographics of Wii owners are maybe not that friendly. I've been thinking about it recently, and you can break the Wii owners into a few distinct groups. You have Wii's owned by children where their parents buy the games (a traditional audience on a Nintendo system), you have Wii's owned as 2nd (or 3rd) systems by hardcore gamers (us) and then you have new gamers brought in by Wii Sports etc. Finally, you have (hard?)core gamers that only have a Wii.

The first group is the traditional Nintendo kid audience. Parents know Nintendo games are good and safe and they get bought a lot. Sega has done well here with this group as well. I think you see 3rd parties try to make games for this group quite a bit, but the quality is all over the place, and Nintendo games still do well because the Nintendo logo is sort of like a quality seal to stand out from the crap.

Hardcore gamers with a Wii as a second system could probably appreciate a big budget game on the Wii, since these are the folks asking for it the most, but why even release it for them on the Wii? They have a 360 or PS3 as well so just release it on those consoles.

New gamers. A big unknown. How many of them just bought Wii Play and then just put it in the closet? How many have caught the Wii bug and have got Guitar Hero 3 and are planning to get Wii Fit? Would this group be served by a big budget game when most of the games they've bought are non-games? The one 3rd party title I've seen for this group that looks good and isn't a non-game is We Ski. It should be interesting to see how that does, since it hits all 4 groups really.

Does the final group exist? (hard?)core gamers that only have a Wii would certainly be crying out for a big budget title, but I have to wonder how large this group actually is. I feel at this point if you're a gamer that actually buys games at a decent rate you have more than a Wii. If you only have a Wii it means you're satisfied by one Nintendo game every 2-3 months and that can not be appealing to a 3rd party company that wants you to buy their game.

I've only really been thinking about Wii demographics and the breakdown since yesterday, so I'm still formulating my thoughts about it. If there's another group you think got missed jump in and add it.

Problem is that they haven't really given me anything to buy over Nintendo's stuff. Nintendo is really the only devs giving their games 100% on the Wii. The same can't be said for anyone else.

Andrex said:
Pokemon's already out and I'm pretty sure Mario Kart is gonna dwarf any sales AC has, unless AC is some kind of radical advancement for the series (AC is my favorite game series, in any case).

Speaking of Animal Crossing, it would be awesome if it could be played with only the remote.

Zerachiel

LCGeek said:
VGA Cable or component transcoders you don't need to waste money on a HDTV that may upscale all your signals badly or for that matter may not support all the resolutions you desire.

Indeed. 720p monitor = 200 bucks, VGA to component converter = 50 bucks. Best way to get HD this generation IMO.

bigmakstudios said:
Speaking of Animal Crossing, it would be awesome if it could be played with only the remote.

Given what Nintendo's been doing with their control schemes lately I can't imagine that remote-only won't at least be an option.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bigmakstudios said:

I'm pretty sure/highly hopeful that's the way they're gonna go and mimic WW controls with the Wiimote, with the option of adding the Nunchuk for traditional controls.

Now I think it was here on GAF I heard someone say AC should be WiiWare so they can A) get away with the series' trademark style/graphics once again and B) you can play the game without swapping discs, fitting in with the series' "play a few minutes a day" mantra. There are pluses and minuses to that and going disc-based, so I don't care either way. :lol

AC would also be a great Pay and Play title, as long as the prices aren't total rape.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
WrikaWrek said:

..Except me. I'm more interested in Industry news, etc than actually playing games. The wii is the only current gen console I own, and I have almost no temptation to go out and buy anything else. And no, I dont play PC games. Yes, I consider myself a very casual gamer, regardless of how much I post here.

Im planning to buy Wiifit next week, the first game Ive bought since SSBB.

Sadist

WrikaWrek said:
Man, that's one pathetic argument. What do you want to prove with it.

Oh, and I only have a Wii. What do I win?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
WrikaWrek said:
My only other (non-portable) console is my PC. I'm one of those "lapsed gamers", left consoles for the PC between the SNES and the PS eras, the DS brought me back and then the Wii arrived.

And I don't plan to buy a PS360 anytime soon.

Cheez-It

Zerachiel said:
Indeed. 720p monitor = 200 bucks, VGA to component converter = 50 bucks. Best way to get HD this generation IMO.

Personally, I'd rather game on a PC or an SD monitor than hook a console up to a mediocre sized HD monitor. Yuck.

fresquito

I'm too only a Wii gamer (I have a DS, but it's more or less collecting dust, I don't have money to buy the agmes I want :-/).

So far this year in Europe there have already been some games really worth buying that offer a lot of hours of play: PES 2008, Puzzle Quest, Mario Kart Wii, Bully, Geo Wars, Bire Emblem, Wii Fit, Boom Blox and this coming month Smash Bros and Okami. All these games I've played and all of them are good.

So, for someone that doesn't like playing only action games or big budget titles like me, having a Wii is more than enough. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have another system, but I don't have the money to own them. Anyway, I'm not missing them that much, only to play GTAIV.

stewacide

MrNyarlathotep said:
It's not like the gameplay of GTA4 is so very different than it's predecessors that such a thing would be impossible to do, and sales would almost certainly justify it. EA have already shown that they can do justice to the Wiimotes potential with the Godfather
and it would be fucking hilarious to see an 'old engine' version of GTA get better reviews due to a better control scheme in favour of ragdolls.
As much as GTA4 control has been VASTLY improved over the previous games, the shooting still pales in comparison to Scarface Wii and the melee similarily to Godfather Wii. I'd love to see somebody get both right in an original Wii sandbox game. Scarface Wii also looked really damn' good, although the world could have been a lot more open.

Top Bottom