• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Zerachiel said:
Indeed. 720p monitor = 200 bucks, VGA to component converter = 50 bucks. Best way to get HD this generation IMO.

You could already buy 37" LCD TVs for around $600 or less, if you find a great deal. And really, budget LCDs aren't bad. I'd wager that most people would be plenty satisfied by the Olevia I'm using, which I got for $675 last year, if I recall correctly.

Nocebo

Masklinn said:
My only other (non-portable) console is my PC. I'm one of those "lapsed gamers", left consoles for the PC between the SNES and the PS eras, the DS brought me back and then the Wii arrived.

And I don't plan to buy a PS360 anytime soon.
Yes!
I'm basically the same. Been gaming since the msx, last home console I bought before wii was a dreamcast. DS brought me back to console gaming etc.

Also I have plenty of other hobbies that take up time aside from gaming (programming/guitar/gf/ etc.) There are still plenty of wii games I would like to play though. However, I haven't bought them because I wouldn't have time to play them anyway.

WrikaWrek

Banned
MysticX said:
Well, I do only have a Wii, Gamecube and a DS Lite :D .

I was proven right.

Everyone with only a Wii from the main consoles(this gen, stupid term i know, encompasses 360/Ps3/Wii) also plays on other platforms, be it PC, portables, or last gen gaming systems.

And when i made that statement i made it with the opinion that the Wii doesn't have enough sand in it's truck to satisfy the "hardcore" gamer, the gamer you see at GAF.

I'm sure that with time it will, but i have a Wii, and i don't see me having my gaming needs fulfilled if i only owned a Wii as a gaming platform.

But people went ahead and called me dumb while at the same time proving my point :p

And it wasn't an attack on the system people. No need to take it so personally.

WrikaWrek said:
I was proven right.

Everyone with only a Wii from the main consoles also plays on other platforms, be it PC, portables, or last gen gaming systems.

And when i made that statement i made it with the opinion that the Wii doesn't have enough sand in it's truck to satisfy the "hardcore" gamer, the gamer you see at GAF.

I'm sure that with time it will, but i have a Wii, and i don't see me having my gaming needs fulfilled if i only owned a Wii as a gaming platform.

But people went ahead and called me dumb while at the same time proving my point :p

Um, I'm willing to bet there's not a person here who owns only a 360/PS3 as a singular gaming platform. At the very least, they're going to have a PS2.

Anyway, I own a DS and a PSP, but honestly, the PSP is used for a quick burst of arcade gaming once in a long while.

MrNyarlathotep said:
It's not like the gameplay of GTA4 is so very different than it's predecessors that such a thing would be impossible to do, and sales would almost certainly justify it. EA have already shown that they can do justice to the Wiimotes potential with the Godfather and it would be fucking hilarious to see an 'old engine' version of GTA get better reviews due to a better control scheme in favour of ragdolls.

(spoiler tag removed in quote to unveil stupidity)
Really? Were ragdoll physics really the only improvement made in GTA4? Because I don't seem to remember the game even having ragdoll physics. Instead, it had dynamic physics that caused different animations depending on an assortment of factors. Plus, character models were much more detailed, the lighting more impressive, and the animations more realistic, all while the game world itself was exponentially more detailed and "denser" than previous GTA games. If you think the only thing a GTA game on Wii would lack is ragdoll physics, then you're deluding yourself.

Zerachiel

Cheez-It said:
Personally, I'd rather game on a PC or an SD monitor than hook a console up to a mediocre sized HD monitor. Yuck.

Different strokes for different folks, but I find things look quite sharp on my 21-inch AMW monitor in 720p.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bigmakstudios said:
Really? Were ragdoll physics really the only improvement made in GTA4? Because I don't seem to remember the game even having ragdoll physics. Instead, it had dynamic physics that caused different animations depending on an assortment of factors. Plus, character models were much more detailed, the lighting more impressive, and the animations more realistic, all while the game world itself was exponentially more detailed and "denser" than previous GTA games. If you think the only thing a GTA game on Wii would lack is ragdoll physics, then you're deluding yourself.
I honestly think R* should turn GTA into an adventure game, because it's already halfway there. All they need are puzzles and dialogue trees.

stewacide

SapientWolf said:
I honestly think R* should turn GTA into an adventure game, because it's already halfway there. All they need are puzzles and dialogue trees.

I bought GTA4 (and a 360 to match) as an adventure game. I don't have any plans to get/play any other 360 games since there are no other adventure games (or anything close) that I'm aware of.

Cheez-It

WrikaWrek said:
I was proven right.

Everyone with only a Wii from the main consoles(this gen, stupid term i know, encompasses 360/Ps3/Wii) also plays on other platforms, be it PC, portables, or last gen gaming systems.

You are drawing certain conclusions when others would be just as logical. Real gamers enjoy games, and usually own multiple platforms. Thus it would be equally valid (not saying much) to point out that Wii owners are more 'hardcore' than 360 and PS3 owners :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
Um, I'm willing to bet there's not a person here who owns only a 360/PS3 as a singular gaming platform. At the very least, they're going to have a PS2.

Anyway, I own a DS and a PSP, but honestly, the PSP is used for a quick burst of arcade gaming once in a long while.

DS is the only current gen system (sans PC you fruits) that offers a wide enough amount of gaming to be stand alone.

But I'll still say you are missing out

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
stewacide said:
I bought GTA4 (and a 360 to match) as an adventure game. I don't have any plans to get/play any other 360 games since there are no other adventure games (or anything close) that I'm aware of.

Oblivion has a heavy amount of adventuring if GTA IV was enough. Just dont expect traditional adventuring like Zelda or Ico

Everyone misses out. If they don't own a system, they miss out on the systems the games has. If they own all the systems, they'll miss out on certain games across the spectrum. If they own all the systems and insist on playing every single worthwhile game to come along, they miss out on an ordinary human life.

fresquito

WrikaWrek said:
I was proven right.

You've been proving wrong. I only play my Wii since I last bought my last DS game, and that does as far as August 2007. I'd like to have other systems, but just because it'd give me the chance to play more games, not because the Wii isn't enough to me. At the moment I'm playing PES, GH3, Boom Blox and Okami, and I can hardly deal with all of them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
fresquito said:
You've been proving wrong. I only play my Wii since I last bought my last DS game, and that does as far as August 2007.

And you are wrong for not getting any new DS games!!!111

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
Everyone misses out. If they don't own a system, they miss out on the systems the games has. If they own all the systems, they'll miss out on certain games across the spectrum. If they own all the systems and insist on playing every single worthwhile game to come along, they miss out on an ordinary human life.

That depends on if you care about ordinary human life :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
I don't care about games outside of the DS! :D

And I would say thats sad despite it being the only platform I especially care about

I like too many games...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DS is my primary system too, doesn't mean there haven't been weeks or even months where I just played the Wii seriously. Heck I even have a PSP for when I want something really different.

Like watching TV on the shitter

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man God said:
DS is my primary system too, doesn't mean there haven't been weeks or even months where I just played the Wii seriously. Heck I even have a PSP for when I want something really different.

Like watching TV on the shitter

Oh man, you is a rebel

shidoshi said:
Obviously I don't want to say that I hope other gamers get screwed over just for my benefit, but I fear the mass exodus of companies and their games to the Wii should it happen. As somebody with an HDTV, I don't want to go back to the non-HD world anymore, and Nintendo's one decision in that regard ended up taking their console from an interesting new system to something I don't want to invest a lot of my gaming efforts into for me. I honestly thought that the lack of HD wouldn't be a big deal, but then I got my new TV, and I've just come to realize that I don't want that world anymore.

If we get a better balance of games going multi-platform, that'd be awesome. The Wii is getting really dumped on shovelware wise, and it deserves far better games. That said, I don't want it to be an exodus, and some of the games that have already gone Wii only (like Fatal Frame) tick me off. If a lot more titles start going to the Wii and only the Wii, I'll understand the reasoning for companies, but I'll hate the results.

Good post, I feel exactly the same way. Even though I believe the Wii's innovation in controls is great I really hate that it may move the industry backwards in visual fidelity, scale and pushing the physics envelope. I hope Sony/MS don't scale back PS4/720 attempting to mimic Nintendo's success.

HK-47 said:
I hear the final boss on that (is it I-No?) is impossible.

I've beaten the final boss (named, somewhat uncreatively, Judgment) with every single character, so I'm guessing that what you've heard are filthy communist lies.

(He's really easy with a few characters once you realize his pattern.)

Xeke

Banned
I can't believe how many games some of you own. I buy maybe 4 or 5 a year and get a few for gifts...Mario Galaxy in november was the last game I bought.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MWS Natural said:
Good post, I feel exactly the same way. Even though I believe the Wii's innovation in controls is great I really hate that it may move the industry backwards in visual fidelity, scale and pushing the physics envelope. I hope Sony/MS don't scale back PS4/720 attempting to mimic Nintendo's success.

I hope they do. The closer the consoles become, the less exclsuives I miss out on becasue they will be multiplat

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pureauthor said:
I've beaten the final boss (named, somewhat uncreatively, Judgment) with every single character, so I'm guessing that what you've heard are filthy communist lies.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different game then. Is there another GG on the PSP?

Well hopefully NOW... Wii can get more 3rd party good games and be more like the was snes or something, id like some "good" 3rd party games on my Wii, since galaxy was the only nintendo one that holds my attention this gen. Altho since I loved actraiser 1 I have a feeling ill love that wiiware final fantasy game, when I can get it when I get back in town.

*goes back to gta 4*

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pureauthor said:
Guilty Gear Judgment is currently my favourite PSP game.

I am a sad, sad, individual. :lol

AC!D 2 is mine. Would be Portable Ops but the controls suck and make me wish for a PS2 or Wii version.

Though to be fair watching TV or movies wherever whenever is good competition to those two.

stewacide

HK-47 said:
Oblivion has a heavy amount of adventuring if GTA IV was enough. Just dont expect traditional adventuring like Zelda or Ico

I don't understand why games with diverse gameplay are extinct outside of Nintendo platforms? My problem with almost all 'next gen' games is that you do the same thing over and over and over... whether it be shooting, driving, flying, fighting, etc. GTA is seemingly the only really diverse game on 'next gen'.

...if I had to guess why, I'd say production costs have made it prohibitive to build in multiple gameplay mechanics. Plus it would usually require less-than-cutting-edge graphics because of all the player freedom (see: complaints that GTA doesn't look like Gears of War, etc)

stewacide said:
I don't understand why games with diverse gameplay are extinct outside of Nintendo platforms? My problem with almost all 'next gen' games is that you do the same thing over and over and over... whether it be shooting, driving, flying, fighting, etc. GTA is seemingly the only really diverse game on 'next gen'.

...if I had to guess why, I'd say production costs have made it prohibitive to build in multiple gameplay mechanics. Plus it would usually require less-than-cutting-edge graphics because of all the player freedom (see: complaints that GTA doesn't look like Gears of War, etc)
just%20cause.jpg

Pureauthor said:

This is so true. I own all the availible current consoles and handhelds and trying to keep up with everything good and life at the same time is impossible. You basically end up with a collection of cream of the crop games that you've played about two hours each.

Really seemed like a good idea at the time but I have a feeling that at least one of my home consoles has got to go... not saying which one since this thread is shitted up enough as it is.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
stewacide said:

Thats because most games genres dont offer diverse gamplay types outside of rare hybrids and the adventure/platformer sect

Also page 22-23 is a dissent into idiocy my god

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Saint Gregory said:
This is so true. I own all the availible current consoles and handhelds and trying to keep up with everything good and life at the same time is impossible. You basically end up with a collection of cream of the crop games that you've played about two hours each.

Really seemed like a good idea at the time but I have a feeling that at least one of my home consoles has got to go... not saying which one since this thread is shitted up enough as it is.
Dont get rid of the N-Gage!

bigmakstudios said:

You don't even seem to know what you're arguing here.

Lighting, animation, charatcer detail, ragdoll physics are aesthetic changes, not gameplay changes.

The new style of lockons, the cover system and the new police 'sphere of influence' are gameplay changes, and they absolutely do not require the technical horsepower of HD consoles to have occurred.

In absolute gameplay terms, I haven't seen anything in GTA4 that not only would be impossible on a Wii, but wasn't already done in previous GTAs.

That's not saying it's a bad game - I'm still enjoying it - but you're deluding yourself if you really think that in terms of gameplay it does anything that wasn't possible in 'last gen'.

Which I guess is really where HD consoles are failing on sales terms - I can count on the fingers of one hand games which have core gameplay mechanics I do not think would have been possible on a last gen console.

As long as the only improvements over the games people were playing on a PS2 are purely aesthetic, the case arguing for HD consoles over a Wii by anyone except graphics whores becomes harder outside of the bitter tears about 'casuals killing games' displayed in this thread.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MrNyarlathotep said:
You don't even seem to know what you're arguing here.

Lighting, animation, charatcer detail, ragdoll physics are aesthetic changes, not gameplay changes.

The new style of lockons, the cover system and the new police 'sphere of influence' are gameplay changes, and they absolutely do not require the technical horsepower of HD consoles to have occurred.

In absolute gameplay terms, I haven't seen anything in GTA4 that not only would be impossible on a Wii, but wasn't already done in previous GTAs.

That's not saying it's a bad game - I'm still enjoying it - but you're deluding yourself if you really think that in terms of gameplay it does anything that wasn't possible in 'last gen'.

Which I guess is really where HD consoles are failing on sales terms - I can count on the fingers of one hand games which have core gameplay mechanics I do not think would have been possible on a last gen console.

As long as the only improvements over the games people were playing on a PS2 are purely aesthetic, the case arguing for HD consoles over a Wii by anyone except graphics whores becomes harder outside of the bitter tears about 'casuals killing games' displayed in this thread.

Yet you lose out. You might as well hope for San Andreas Wii, cause you aint getting GTA IV. You wont get the size, the physics, and amount of people on the street that makes the city feel alive. You might as well not fucking bother.

Linkup

MWS Natural said:

It sounds like your asking MS/Sony to financially beat themselves into a corner. In a way with all the 10 year talk Sony HAS already scaled back.

Saitou

Banned
Pureauthor said:

Judgment is a chick, dude.

She is, in fact, Dizzy's mother.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MrNyarlathotep said:
I swear to god sometimes its like people have entirely retconned out what games they were playing 3 years ago and what was happening in them.

Yeah, not GTA IV thats what. Please call my on my anti Wii agenda (doesnt exist) but you lose parts of those games beyond teh perty graphix

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Saitou said:
Judgment is a chick, dude.

She is, in fact, Dizzy's mother.

Thats Justice

Whom they removed from XX Accent Core and then put back in Accent Core Plus (which we wont get but they still made her tourney banned.)

Damn you, ArcSys!!!

Top Bottom