• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Linkhero1

donny2112 said:
So was the PS1. So was the NES. Point?

:lol

Hey, everyone! Let's ignore all past history and look only at this generation. Any system not selling like most of the other systems must be an "anomaly" (i.e. it shouldn't count, since it's an outlier).

What's that? I was comparing it to the SNES and PS2? Oh, crap!

I think the term you're looking for is "winner." :lol

Link Man

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
The Wii is unique it it's execution.

Not in it's sales.

And I said it's THIS GENERATIONS anomaly.

Meaning --

1. a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.

It's the one that sticks out among it's fellow competitors. Anomaly.

But that doesn't mean there haven't been others throughout history.

Pretty simple...
The execution of the Wii is not unique for the Blue Ocean and Disruption strategies. Thus, it is not an anomaly.

CartridgeBlower said:
Microsoft has no need to worry about the PS3?

Huh?

They went from being outsold 5 to 1 to winning 2.5 to 1 and keeping pace.

On the other hand, the Wii is kicking their ass.

So why should they be worried about the PS3 again?

MisterHero said:
P

I wonder what next month will mean for WiiFit. I don't know how big it will be because it's $90, and that many of this month's sales were preorders.

Nevertheless I can't wait to get my feets on it.
They will sell whatever they ship.

It's been sold out ever since launch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Brashnir said:
What the hell? Did SR get a price drop or just a bunch of people buying it after finishing GTA?
I was thinking the same thing. There have been a lot of SR love around here lately. Is this another case of GAF->Internet->GAF?

Stealth

It's almost to a point now where we should just have NPD-Nintendo and then NPD-Other threads. Sony and Microsoft aren't even competing with the system at this point, just scrapping over the hardcore holdouts from last gen. Still, Sony's having a fantastic year at what is still a hefty price point. Microsoft is seeing the wind taken out of its sales. And both are probably bummed by how little GTA4 has been able to push sales of their systems over 5 weeks. It's going to be very interesting to see if/what MGS4 does. If Sony doesn't come out on top next month this year gives them little to no chance to close the gap in North America in any significant way... not that the chances of that were very high.

Evlar

Banned
"Anomaly" often denotes an outlier, a data point you don't intend to explain because you assume the data is faulty. It's pretty poor sales analysis to label the leading system as an anomaly and consider anything settled or defined.

Anyway, it's just one word. The meat of the matter is that Wii exists, it's eating up prodigious quantities of gaming dollars, and if you convince yourselves that Wii needs to be excised from the gaming sales discussion you're left with a home console market that's abysmally performing after the removal of the "anomalous" data point.

RagnarokX said:
Ellen's audience demonstrates the NPD:
npd_ellen_gif_edited-4.gif

Since when does the word 'anomaly' mean something shouldn't count? Damn you put words in people's mouths like it's your job.

And do me a favor and look up anomaly on dictionary.com. Just so we can all be on the same page for a moment.

Link Man

Banned
Stealth said:
It's almost to a point now where we should just have NPD-Nintendo and then NPD-Other threads. Sony and Microsoft aren't even competing with the system at this point, just scrapping over the hardcore holdouts from last gen. Still, Sony's having a fantastic year at what is still a hefty price point. Microsoft is seeing the wind taken out of its sales. And both are probably bummed by how little GTA4 has been able to push sales of their systems over 5 weeks. It's going to be very interesting to see if/what MGS4 does. If Sony doesn't come out on top next month this year gives them little to no chance to close the gap in North America in any significant way... not that the chances of that were very high.
Excellent post.

Mooreberg said:
They should still want to be a strong second worldwide (like N64). If Sony stays even or slightly above 360 month to month and keeps outselling in Japan and Europe it could shift the attention of publishers that put out games that have at least some appeal in two or all three areas. There is really no reason for only $50 off the main sku after more than 2.5 years. Outselling PS3 when it was overpriced and didn't have a lot of games out wasn't a miracle.

And if Microsoft cuts the price, how will they be able to deal with this problem when it is selling ~200k a month this time next year? They can only drop the price so low. More importantly, they'll need revenue if they really want to win over developers and combat Sony. Revenue they won't have if they drop the price now. That's the reason MS hasn't dropped the price at this point. Because they know they'll need a cash base to defend against Sony if they gain significant ground. Dropping price is an emergency measure when you're a distant second place (i.e. not in high demand). And it's a measure that will only have a short term effect as we learned from the GC, Xbox, and other second place systems.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
legend166 said:
"HD Gaming" is such a retarded phrase.

Please stop using it.

Hey, I used quotes.

Wii is the threat.

Wii went from being a threat to a domestic assault on 360 a while ago. The one thing Microsoft has to do is keep third parties in their corner. The point at which the AAA third party teams can get better sales on Wii is when 360 is in trouble. But that might not happen until they start talking about their next system anyway.

They can only drop the price so low.

$349 two and a half years later is so low? Do people forget you used to be able to get three systems for $550 not too far into the previous hardware cycle?

Evlar

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Since when does the word 'anomaly' mean something shouldn't count? Damn you put words in people's mouths like it's your job.

And do me a favor and look up anomaly on dictionary.com. Just so we can all be on the same page for a moment.
I tried "define:anomaly" on google.

deviating from the general or common order or type; "advanced forms of life may be anomalous in the universe"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Highly unusual, unique, uncategorized
www.meteoriteman.com/glossary.htm

(anom·a·lous) (ə-nom´ə-ləs) [Gr. anōmalos] irregular; marked by deviation from the natural order. Applied particularly to congenital and hereditary defects.
www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_h...zcommonzSzdorlandszSzdorlandzSzdmd_a_43zPzhtm

Not encompassed by rules governing the majority of cases; distinguished from abnormal by implying a difference of kind rather than a difference merely of degree. This distinction between anomalous and abnormal is not strictly recognized in meteorology. ...
amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/browse

Value of a given element that is deemed to be above the background or normal value
www.trans-siberiangold.com/projects/glossary.html

Inconsistent with, or deviating from what is usual, normal, or expected. While "anomalous" can suggest a qualitative difference, in this text it is primarily used to suggest a quantitative difference — in statistical terms, two or more standard deviations removed from the mean — and, under ...
hissofasp.com/glossary.htm

Anomaly in the dictionary. As in THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD.

Once again -- a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.

That isn't the Wii?

And to the dude with the Sonic avatar, how do you say 'excellent post' to a post that says we should separate data for the Wii and X360/PS3, yet you criticize me for using the word anomaly when describing the Wii?

Isn't that completely backwards to your point?

donny2112

CartridgeBlower said:
And about the Wii being an anomaly, what aren't people getting?

Every generation has a system that sticks out (hence the word anomaly!!!)

This generation it is the Wii.

An anomaly can happen more than once. It's the deviation from the standard.

Many past systems have 'deviated from the standard.' Hence the use of the word 'anomaly.'

I really think the word/idea you're looking for is "winner." Here, let's try it out.

And about the Wii being the winner, what aren't people getting?

Every generation has a system that sticks out (hence the word winner!!!)

A winner can happen more than once. It's the deviation from the standard.

Many past systems have 'deviated from the standard.' Hence the use of the word 'winner.'

Yep. It fits perfectly. :lol

CartridgeBlower said:
And since when does the word 'anomaly' mean something shouldn't count?

When doing statistics, anomalous values tend to get thrown out or just ignored. ;)

CartridgeBlower said:
Sometimes I think some people posting here have never even read a book let alone know what certain words mean.

I know!

justchris

CartridgeBlower said:
You don't know what the word anomaly means, do you?

The problem is you're limiting to your viewpoint to one generation at a time, and then saying that one console is an anomaly. But if you can find an anomaly exactly like that anomaly in every prior generation, the term anomaly ceases to apply.

You can't try to compare the PS3 and 360 to what has gone before, while eliminating the "anomaly" that is the Wii, and then ignore other systems that have performed similarly to the Wii.

Although, there are so many other reasons you could say the Wii is an anomaly, I'm not even sure why you bothered with this argument.

Brashnir

dammitmattt said:
They went from being outsold 5 to 1 to winning 2.5 to 1 and keeping pace.

On the other hand, the Wii is kicking their ass.

So why should they be worried about the PS3 again?

If anything, increased PS3 sales will help keep the 360 relevant to third parties (and vice versa). If one of the two consoles was to disappear, the other would be completely screwed, since they get pretty much the same third party games.

MisterHero

Mooreberg said:
Hey, I used quotes.

Wii went from being a threat to a domestic assault on 360 a while ago. The one thing Microsoft has to do is keep third parties in their corner. The point at which the AAA third party teams can get better sales on Wii is when 360 is in trouble. But that might not happen until they start talking about their next system anyway.
Japan says no.

I guess MS does have most Western devs and 3rd-parties who want HD games, but right now they're fighting over those devs with Sony who arguably has more worldwide appeal than MS.

MS has sold enough so far and are still selling plenty so it's not like they're losing or anything though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Digital-Hero said:
Fixed in error.

I do admit the Wii has excellent sales. Its a great system for children.

::goes back to playing MGS4::

Not this shit again.

Mike Myers on Jay Leno today just said he got a wii for his birthday. Do you think he would be as happy about getting another system? Wii is for everyone.

There is nothing wrong with me using the word anomaly to describe the Wii.

Their sales 'deviate from the standard set before it.'

Just like PS2 sales deviated from other systems sales.

Just like the NES did from it's other systems.

This debate has hurt the inside of my bones.

jts

...hate me...
Digital-Hero said:
Fixed in error.

I do admit the Wii has excellent sales. Its a great system for children.

::goes back to playing MGS4::
omg back to playing mgs4!1 so matoor u rly r grown up 'digital-hero'

/bows

Evlar

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
There is nothing wrong with me using the word anomaly to describe the Wii.

It deviated from the standards set before it.
What standards did it deviate from? 360 is a single data set and PS3 preceded it by two days.

donny2112

CartridgeBlower said:
It deviated from the standards set before it.

The standards set before it were the PS2 blowing everything else away, and the PS1 blowing everything else away.

If you want to ignore sales and focus on approach, the standards set before it were the PS1 bringing gaming to the masses, and the NES bringing gaming to the masses.

Linkhero1

donny2112 said:
I really think the word/idea you're looking for is "winner." Here, let's try it out.

Yep. It fits perfectly. :lol

When doing statistics, anomalous values tend to get thrown out or just ignored. ;)

I know!
you're on fire man :lol

Mike Myers could have said that because he has some deal with Nintendo. Not unheard of.

Of course, he could have said it because he loves the system, as well. Just saying Nintendo has been very sneaky/brilliant with their promotion so don't believe everything you hear.

Mooreberg

MisterHero said:
Japan says no.

I meant "domestic assault" more in terms a beating than reffering to a geographic region. "Threat" would imply we had yet to see it surpass 360 in hardware sales.

CartridgeBlower said:
Many past systems have 'deviated from the standard.' Hence the use of the word 'anomaly.'

Atari, NES, GameBoy, and DS. None were "anomalies," anyone with any business sense could have predicted the Wii to disrupt Microsoft and SONY. So to call Wii an anomaly is, I think, incorrect.

*Channeling The Innovator's Dilemma, which I'm currently reading*

...Wii has a future and will absorb every demographic into itself eventually. HD gaming has been disrupted, and unless the competition can become relevant and "co-opt" the disruption, they will retreat further and further upstream. And that's not necessarily such a terrible thing, upstream consumers and products provide the most business and the most money, but the disruptor will eventually seize the upstream from them.

Just because it 'disrupted' Sony and Microsoft's strategy doesn't mean it's not an anomaly.

Anomaly --

2. someone or something anomalous: With his quiet nature, he was an anomaly in his exuberant family.
3. an odd, peculiar, or strange condition, situation, quality, etc.
4. an incongruity or inconsistency.

The Wii fits 1, 3, and 4.

That is how I used it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
justchris said:
The problem is you're limiting to your viewpoint to one generation at a time, and then saying that one console is an anomaly. But if you can find an anomaly exactly like that anomaly in every prior generation, the term anomaly ceases to apply.

You can't try to compare the PS3 and 360 to what has gone before, while eliminating the "anomaly" that is the Wii, and then ignore other systems that have performed similarly to the Wii.

Although, there are so many other reasons you could say the Wii is an anomaly, I'm not even sure why you bothered with this argument.

The argument is that the wii is not an anomaly because what you are comparing it to is not the norm. You are comparing losers to the winner, not normal trends to a deviant trend.

That is the argument at least.... I dont know which one is right... how much did PS2 sell when the GTA's came out?

Link Man

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Hey, I used quotes.

The time when these third parties mattered (in their current state) is quickly drawing to a close, as WiiWare is starting to show. I'd be more worried about where the new quality 3rd parties are going.

Cartridge Blower, learn to quote. Also, read up on the Blue Ocean strategy, if you don't understand why I said that it was an excellent post.

CartridgeBlower said:
Just because it 'disrupted' Sony and Microsoft's strategy doesn't mean it's not an anomaly.

Notice the difference between the first definition and the third and fourth.

2. someone or something anomalous: With his quiet nature, he was an anomaly in his exuberant family.

The Wii is the new PS2 is the new PS1. Everything is an anomaly!!!

TheGrayGhost said:
Atari, NES, GameBoy, and DS. None were "anomalies," anyone with any business sense could have predicted the Wii to disrupt Microsoft and SONY. So to call Wii an anomaly is, I think, incorrect.

*Channeling The Innovator's Dilemma, which I'm currently reading*

...Wii has a future and will absorb every demographic into itself eventually. HD gaming has been disrupted, and unless the competition can become relevant and "co-opt" the disruption, they will retreat further and further upstream. And that's not necessarily such a terrible thing, upstream consumers and products provide the most business and the most money, but the disruptor will eventually seize the upstream from them.

No one could even have dreamed the success the wii has had never mind predicted.:lol

Mooreberg

CartridgeBlower said:

One system outselling the rest has never been anomaly. In fact it's hard to tell it's too different unless/until it outsells PS2, but I'm not getting into another argument about whether or not Bass fishing games are casual.

The "anomaly" this gen is the split between hardware sales and where third party software sales are coming from. That is not something that was seen with the previous systems that outsold the other consoles on the market.

The time when these third parties mattered (in their current state) is quickly drawing to a close

Which ones? The good cross-platform devs (Rockstar North, Infinity Ward, etc) are doing just fine.

Evlar

Banned
Looking at the long-term behavior of the industry I would argue it's the so-called HD systems that are performing unusually this generation. This prompts closer study, in my view.

EDIT: And here's an explanation of how they're unusual:
Mooreberg said:
The "anomaly" this gen is the split between hardware sales and where third party software sales are coming from. That is not something that was seen with the previous systems that outsold the other consoles on the market.

jko

donny2112 said:
And about the Wii being the winner, what aren't people getting?

Every generation has a system that sticks out (hence the word winner!!!)

A winner can happen more than once. It's the deviation from the standard.

Many past systems have 'deviated from the standard.' Hence the use of the word 'winner.'

Yep. It fits perfectly.
omg:lol :lol :lol :lol wow

amtentori said:
The argument is that the wii is not an anomaly because what you are comparing it to is not the norm. You are comparing losers to the winner, not normal trends to a deviant trend.

That is the argument at least.... I dont know which one is right... how much did PS2 sell when the GTA's came out?

I'm sure someone can bring up the exact numbers, but like the Wii, the PS2 sales were not tied to a single game or franchise. Like the Wii, they were strong from the beginning and kicked even more ass over time, even during months when big titles didn't come out.

GAF, prove me wrong.

jts

...hate me...
Jesus Cristo there's nothing more annoying than pointless semantics debates.

Does anyone have a shop or a gif to share?

Mooreberg said:
$349 two and a half years later is so low? Do people forget you used to be able to get three systems for $550 not too far into the previous hardware cycle?

That's not what my post said, but I edited it for further clarity.

CartridgeBlower said:

Notice the difference between the first definition and the third and fourth.

The Wii fits 1, 3, and 4.

From a philosophical and design sense, yes, I think those descriptors apply to Wii (at least when compared to previous incumbent systems as Wii is very much reminiscent of the NES, GameBoy, DS, etc.). But since this is an NPD I thread, I assumed you were describing Wii's performance as an anomaly.

So, ok. :)

Evlar said:
Looking at the long-term behavior of the industry I would argue it's the so-called HD systems that are performing unusually this generation. This prompts closer study, in my view.

EDIT: And here's an explanation of how they're unusual:

The two most powerful systems last-gent were 2nd and 3rd. Same as this gen.

Though OF COURSE the gap is bigger this gen.

PhatSaqs

Banned
It's been obvious for awhile now that MS isnt too concerned about selling as many consoles as possible right now. maybe after this year they'll become more aggressive but they've been toting the "profitable this year" line with everything they have.

Shouldnt be a surprise to see them get outsold by the PS3 again next month. I also dont expect NG2 to do so hot. I think reviews scared plenty of peeps off but I really hope not as the game is awesome.

boiled goose

good with gravy
CartridgeBlower said:
Mike Myers could have said that because he has some deal with Nintendo. Not unheard of.

Of course, he could have said it because he loves the system, as well. Just saying Nintendo has been very sneaky/brilliant with their promotion so don't believe everything you hear.

It is possible you are right, Im just trying to make a case that while some people try to dismiss the wii as a system just for kids, it arguably has the most appeal for older (above average gamer age) people.

(I dont have any numbers so dont ask :p) Just making the case from the occasional wii article and anecdotal/personal experience.

Top Bottom