• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Year-to-date
Wii: 2.8 M
PS3: 1.2 M
X360: 1.1 M

If Wii stopped selling right now, it would still have a yearly total greater than all but one of GameCube's.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)
Wii: 36.1 (September 22, 2007)
PS3: 37.7 (September 11, 2007)
X360: 61.9 (March 25, 2007)

Sule said:
Fuck you Nintendo. Where's my ONE MILLION Wii Fits?! Where?! There certainly not in Europe and Japan! Conservative pieces of shit. You get the opportunity to crush these bitches and skullfuck them while you're at it but darthvadernooooo.jpg. Fuck you and have a nice day.
Yeah, outselling PS360 combined by 71% and taking 5 of the top 10 software slots to their 2 was just going too easy.
Mama Robotnik said:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk9/mappster13/npdgaftrek.gif
Humorous, but adding 6 megabytes of loading for everyone is maybe a weeee bit much.
Andrex said:
http://i26.tinypic.com/nnl6ap.gif
And now a 7 megabyte one.
Mama Robotnik said:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/mappster14/gafunerals.gif
6 again. Seriously, these are fun things, guys, but they'd probably be more appropriate (and quicker-loading) as short YouTube clips or something.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
as well as games from a select few third parties (Capcom, Sega, indy devs) move upstream - that is, move towards the hardcore - third parties will be attracted by the sales and will follow along

I'm talking about development teams, not the larger publishing corporation. Call of Duty is going to be on Wii this year, but the developer that made the franchise into a big deal is not working on it. I realize this means absolutely nothing to a lot of the people going by the name on the box rather thant he developer, but it's the specific teams like Infinity Ward, Bungie, etc. that are making the games that sell a lot on Xbox 360. Losing the focus of those kinds of developers is the "threat" that will do the most damage to 360 (the "threat" part isn't a response to anything you said, just to be clear) and I don't really see where that is going to happen before the system gets phased out to begin with (if it lasts five years, it exceed the original Xbox). In some ways their biggest blunders have been letting developers like Bizzare and BioWare sign deals with other publishers. I don't think having Lionhead is going to do enough to offset the damage of a new Bioware IP appearing everywhere rather than helping to sell Xbox hardware.

Dragona Akehi said:
The biggest news of this month is FAMILY FUCKING WE SKI sitting at NUMBER FUCKING TWELVE. That means it sold at LEAST 90 000 units... and that means it has ALREADY SOLD to over 1/7 of WiiFits "tiny" userbase.

That is insane. I had it pegged to absolutely bomb at under 10k for debut.

The "tide" is indeed turning, but it isn't exactly the way some were hoping.

You don't need the balance board for We Ski, which means that it isn't very telling of the Balance Board audience at all.

I don't think MS went ahead with a price drop because they wanted to see what GTA IV would do for sales. They've seen, they'll probably announce a drop at E3. Though summers are so slow it may pay to just wait until Christmas, making sure the supply is there to handle it.

But at this point I don't think they're comparing their sales to Nintendo, they're comparing to Sony and it was basically a dead heat in America, no need to sound the alarm quite yet. Nintendo seems to be playing their own game.

Narag

David H Wong said:
I don't think MS went ahead with a price drop because they wanted to see what GTA IV would do for sales. They've seen, they'll probably announce a drop at E3. Though summers are so slow it may pay to just wait until Christmas, making sure the supply is there to handle it.

But at this point I don't think they're comparing their sales to Nintendo, they're comparing to Sony and it was basically a dead heat in America, no need to sound the alarm quite yet. Nintendo seems to be playing their own game.
More likely August for Madden.

TheGrayGhost said:
Their primary goal is to prevent SONY from such disruption, but it seems they're failing.

I'd argue that they did a pretty good job of stopping Sony in their tracks. Look at this way: last gen Sony had a $200 console with 120 million userbase. If they had turned the PS2 in a network computer, they would have had one hell of a Trojan horse. This gen, Microsoft raised the specs on their machine, raised the price, focused on shooters and other western genres, and what did Sony do? They followed suit. While they didn't abandon the PS2 strategy, they made some pretty huge changes (Resistance at launch instead of a Japanese oriented game, the most graphically powered system, 599 US dollars!) in order to make sure the PS3 was an Xbox killer. And what did it get them? I'd say Microsoft cut their nose to spite Sony's face, and it worked.

RagnarokX said:
You make some good points, but the port of Resident Evil 4 really throws a wrench in the idea that 3rd party upstream games have to commit a significant effort to these "new values". Resident Evil 4 is basically the exact same game it is on the last gen consoles, except with pointer aiming; and it sold a lot.

RE4 might be a better example then you think; last gen graphics, nothing added to it but waggle, and it goes on to sell a million units. Is that not a triumph of new Wii values and a refutation of old HD values?

But I never used the word effort. I said "aggressively develop", by which I meant, to release many games. As far as effort is concerned, that's always in the eye of the beholder. Many gafers feel that Wii Sports lacks effort, but others would argue that it has the necessary effort in the most important areas.

RagnarokX said:
If what you say is the case, 3rd parties are clearly overthinking the effort they need to make.

It's more that they are thinking about Wii in the wrong way. I'd post the birdman article, but it's been posted too many times already.

MobiusPigeon said:
i wonder how the wii will survive thru the summer. No big 1st party releases, next gen madden, atleast 1 price drop from its competitors. Will they drop the price? will they introduce a greatest hits line? new colors?
They just released it a month ago.

Link Man

Banned
laserbeam said:
Madden on the wii would sell like crazy if EA would give it the full feature set of the others such as full online league play etc.

The Hardcore madden fan loves his league play and the continued refusal to add it to the Wii means people wont buy it.
No, it wouldn't. That's not what the Wii is about.

kame-sennin said:
I've thought about this a lot, and the hypothesis I've come up with is that Nintendo's disruption is a greater threat to (some) third parties than it is to Sony and Microsoft. Or, at the very least, the threat is equal. Remember that third party demands have always provided Sony and Microsoft with a basic console strategy (perhaps MS more than Sony).
Someone gets it.

Remember, third parties are still competition to Nintendo's software side and they are making them(along with Sony and MS) irrelevant to the Wii's performance.

I suspect that Nintendo' long term goal is to once again dominate the industry as it once did. To them, the fate of the industry and Nintendo is interlinked. They rise and fall with it's trends.

kame-sennin said:
I'd argue that they did a pretty good job of stopping Sony in their tracks. Look at this way: last gen Sony had a $200 console with 120 million userbase. If they had turned the PS2 in a network computer, they would have had one hell of a Trojan horse. This gen, Microsoft raised the specs on their machine, raised the price, focused on shooters and other western genres, and what did Sony do? They followed suit. While they didn't abandon the PS2 strategy, they made some pretty huge changes (Resistance at launch instead of a Japanese oriented game, the most graphically powered system, 599 US dollars!) in order to make sure the PS3 was an Xbox killer. And what did it get them? I'd say Microsoft cut their nose to spite Sony's face, and it worked.

Ah, that is a more accurate and historical perspective. I was just alluding to the stagnant sales of the system in passing.

Link Man

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Someone gets it.

Remember, third parties are still competition to Nintendo's software side and they are making them(along with Sony and MS) irrelevant to the Wii's performance.
I made this same point (although without going into detail) a few hours ago, and was pretty much brushed aside.

MobiusPigeon said:
i think they will. supposedly manufacturing has increased, they've released their biggest titles of the season, its becoming increasingly easier to find and in a month with wii fit and mario kart as well as a backlog of great nintendo titles they didnt crack 750k? You may think this is the time where they can just get lazy and watch the cash roll in but if they wanna keep MS and Sony at bay they need to keep it fresh.
The Wii is not "easier to find". Wii Fit AND Mario Kart is sold out everywhere and selling for markups. Mario Kart is sold out. Think about it.

In fact, Wii prices have been relatively harder to find since the end of May. Prices reflect that as well as average profits rose almost 70% on eBay.

The reason they didn't crack the 750k mark was simple. There wasn't 750k Wiis for sale at retail outlets.

If sony and MS truly do have waggle wands in the works all they need are killer aps to go with em. MS is already within price range of wii so it wouldnt be hard for them to swoop in on nintendos party.

If it really were that easy to make a "killer app", believe me, Sony and MS would crank them out like crazy.

RagnarokX

kame-sennin said:
RE4 might be a better example then you think; last gen graphics, nothing added to it but waggle, and it goes on to sell a million units. Is that not a triumph of new values Wii values and a refutation of old HD values?

But I never used the word effort. I said "aggressively develop", by which I meant, to release many games. As far as effort is concerned, that's always in the eye of the beholder. Many gafers feel that Wii Sports lacks effort, but others would argue that it has the necessary effort in the most important areas.

It's more that they are thinking about Wii in the wrong way. I'd post the birdman article, but it's been posted too many times already.
I've read the birdman article plenty. The problem is that devs think they need to make games that are downstream to appeal to a larger market, but they overshoot and alienate the entire market.

What RE4 shows is that devs do not need to change the core gameplay concepts. The wiimote enhances the experience without the game itself being dumbed down. Devs could point to No More Heroes and Okami sales, but Suda51 games sell to a niche market at best and Okami didn't really sell well on traditional consoles either.

MisterHero

titiklabingapat said:
Someone gets it.

I suspect that Nintendo' long term goal is to once again dominate the industry as it once did. To them, the fate of the industry and Nintendo is interlinked. They rise and fall with it's trends.
Especially when consoles are going multimedia with movies, tv, music, downloaded software, etc., it's Nintendo's best interests their games and methods of selling them stay as strong as they currently are.

I'm so happy for them. :)

Mooreberg said:
I'm talking about development teams, not the larger publishing corporation. Call of Duty is going to be on Wii this year, but the developer that made the franchise into a big deal is not working on it. I realize this means absolutely nothing to a lot of the people going by the name on the box rather thant he developer, but it's the specific teams like Infinity Ward, Bungie, etc. that are making the games that sell a lot on Xbox 360. Losing the focus of those kinds of developers is the "threat" that will do the most damage to 360 (the "threat" part isn't a response to anything you said, just to be clear) and I don't really see where that is going to happen before the system gets phased out to begin with (if it lasts five years, it exceed the original Xbox). In some ways their biggest blunders have been letting developers like Bizzare and BioWare sign deals with other publishers. I don't think having Lionhead is going to do enough to offset the damage of a new Bioware IP appearing everywhere rather than helping to sell Xbox hardware.

There is a lot of truth in this. The Xbox360 can only lose so much support before the generation is over and it's time (for MS at least) to launch a new system. The only counter to this is that Nintendo is not playing this game one generation at time. Their success will be cumulative - even the third party support MS is benefiting from now began on the original Xbox. So the point of Nintendo's disruption isn't to just beat the PS3/360, but to invalidate all traditional (dual analog, cinema quality) gaming consoles. This would include the PS2 as well as any future console designed in the same vein as the PS3/360.

TheGrayGhost said:
Ah, that is a more accurate and historical perspective. I was just alluding to the stagnant sales of the system in passing.

I thought about that, but I decided to be a stickler :D

RagnarokX said:
I've read the birdman article plenty. The problem is that devs think they need to make games that are downstream to appeal to a larger market, but they overshoot and alienate the entire market.

What RE4 shows is that devs do not need to change the core gameplay concepts. The wiimote enhances the experience without the game itself being dumbed down. Devs could point to No More Heroes and Okami sales, but Suda51 games sell to a niche market at best and Okami didn't really sell well on traditional consoles either.

Agreed.

C4Lukins

I finally got a chance to catch up with the thread.

The 360 and PS3 did about what I expected after last months less then stellar numbers. I was surprised to see the PS3 win out. The numbers are fine for this time of year, but nothing close to what I hoped for both systems with GTA being released. As far as GTA, decent but not spectacular. I thought the 360 version would break a million and the PS3 version around 500K. And WTF with the PS2 version of Iron Man?

The Wii as usual kicked all sorts of ass. I am happy to see Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and GH3 up there and still selling. Mario Kart really held on well and could very well outsell the 360 version of GTA next month. If Nintendo is indeed producing 2 million Wii's a month, I wonder why the US is not seeing more of them?

Scrubking

kame-sennin said:
I've thought about this a lot, and the hypothesis I've come up with is that Nintendo's disruption is a greater threat to (some) third parties than it is to Sony and Microsoft. Or, at the very least, the threat is equal. Remember that third party demands have always provided Sony and Microsoft with a basic console strategy (perhaps MS more than Sony).

Taking this into consideration, we see that many third party publishers and developers were pushing for better graphics, high definition, and more complex controllers. These sustaining innovations support the business model of releasing "bigger better" sequels. So if Nintendo replaces the values of better graphics and complex gameplay, they will be disrupting the business models of many leading third parties. That is why, in my view, third parties have been reluctant to develop for the Wii in spite of its user base. Aiding in the Wii's success would be aiding in the disruption of their own business model.

Only smaller devs - who can ride the Wii upmarket, and more agile publishers like Sega, who can adapt to the new values - will aggressively develop for the Wii. All other publishers will avoid, or give poor support, to the platform. We saw a similar situation during the NES generation when the NES displaced the values of computer gaming. EA was not disrupted, but their values conflicted with Nintendo's, and they avoided the console for the entire generation.

Some third parties will never join Nintendo. But as Nintendo's internal games, as well as games from a select few third parties (Capcom, Sega, indy devs) move upstream - that is, move towards the hardcore - third parties will be attracted by the sales and will follow along. But Nintendo is starting from the bottom (non-gamers) up, so it will take time to work their way towards the most avid gamers. As for sales and life expectancy, the Wii is already overtaking the 360 in overall software sales and the console itself will have much longer lifespan than most.

I see.

I can agree with that, but why would companies bemoan the prospect of similar profitability with less investment? Yes, they can continue making 60 Million dollar games and make a profit, but why not make 30 Million dollar games (which you can make more of), and equally profit? Wouldn't shareholders, etc be happier spending less on a game than more?

Take Capcom, for example. A company I can't begin to understand. They have spent millions making tons of PS360 games and yet refuse to allocate a proper advertising budget for any of their very cheaply made Wii games of which 2 have sold over a million. How does that make any sense?

Anyway I'm not really into the sales-age thing. All I know is that Nintendo has a 3rd party crisis with their Wii, and this may be the first generation in which the market leader gets the worst support (and the most hatred to boot).

Pachael said:
Sega: 120K Iron Man PS2 sold! Great job Sega!
Maybe they can use the profits from Iron Man to help jump start production of the Phoenix!

pigs_flying.jpg

kame-sennin said:
It's strange, but I never notice you post until someone quotes you. Which sucks because your posts are some of the most insightful on this forum.

titiklabingapat said:
The Wii is not "easier to find". Wii Fit AND Mario Kart is sold out everywhere and selling for markups. Mario Kart is sold out. Think about it.

In fact, Wii prices have been relatively harder to find since the end of May. Prices reflect that as well as average profits rose almost 70% on eBay.

The reason they didn't crack the 750k mark was simple. There wasn't 750k Wiis for sale at retail outlets.

If it really were that easy to make a "killer app", believe me, Sony and MS would crank them out like crazy.

no no no and no. wtf? :lol no arguing. in fact this is good. let ninty and its fans become complacent. comfortable. arrogant. i understand. all that pent up hurt from the gamecube gen. its your time. i'm happy for you! but that still doesnt mean nintendo can just chill now. if they did they'd be no better than MS is right now. Sitting around doing nothing IS NOT a good thing.

360 is dying it seems. If it continually performs 3rd in its "stronghold" market, its over for the 360 this generation. Sadly.

sony sells less than 10k a week in its former "stronghold" market. seems over for them in japan. sadly.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
C4Lukins said:
If Nintendo is indeed producing 2 million Wii's a month, I wonder why the US is not seeing more of them?

They've all but said the shitty American dollar is persuading them to allocate more hardware to Europe.

There is a lot of truth in this. The Xbox360 can only lose so much support before the generation is over and it's time (for MS at least) to launch a new system. The only counter to this is that Nintendo is not playing this game one generation at time. Their success will be cumulative - even the third party support MS is benefiting from now began on the original Xbox. So the point of Nintendo's disruption isn't to just beat the PS3/360, but to invalidate all traditional (dual analog, cinema quality) gaming consoles. This would include the PS2 as well as any future console designed in the same vein as the PS3/360.

I don't disagree but it's gonna be hard for Nintendo to say they're creating a system that all developers can thrive on if they're trying to "invalidate" half of what they create. That's the kind of attitude that prompts companies to look elsewhere. I'd think they'd want to avoid another situation like the PSOne coming out of nowhere to become the unlikely ally of everyone else in the industry.

Olaeh

kame-sennin said:

Exactly, I've been saying this for a few years now and couldn't have said it better myself. Your posts have been a very good read in this thread, kame-sennin.

beef3483

Wow, we got over the fanboy whining pretty quick this time, and went straight into critical discussion. Keep it coming. This is the kind of stuff I like.

Link Man

Banned
RagnarokX said:

Sorry, I just realized what you were saying. Now I have a hilarious image of third parties (mainly Ubi) dive-bombing downmarket and tunneling into the dirt below.

justchris

MobiusPigeon said:
i think they will. supposedly manufacturing has increased, they've released their biggest titles of the season, its becoming increasingly easier to find and in a month with wii fit and mario kart as well as a backlog of great nintendo titles they didnt crack 750k? You may think this is the time where they can just get lazy and watch the cash roll in but if they wanna keep MS and Sony at bay they need to keep it fresh.

E3 is next month. It's new ideas that have sold the Wii so far, and it's new ideas that will continue to sell the Wii. They don't need a price drop, or new colors, or any of that, they need something to capture the public's imagination the way WiiFit, WiiSports, Brain Training and Nintendogs already have. They also need something to make the hardcore think about picking up a Wii, but that's a lot easier to come up with.

MobiusPigeon said:
no no no and no. wtf? :lol no arguing. in fact this is good. let ninty and its fans become complacent. comfortable. arrogant. i understand. all that pent up hurt from the gamecube gen. its your time. i'm happy for you! but that still doesnt mean nintendo can just chill now. if they did they'd be no better than MS is right now. Sitting around doing nothing IS NOT a good thing.

sony sells less than 10k a week in its former "stronghold" market. seems over for them in japan. sadly.
I am not disputing your complacency argument but your claims that the Wii is easier to find and that Nintendo "has nothing for summer".

Let's just say that my money situation depends on me knowing the Wii stock situation like the back of my hands.

C4Lukins

Mooreberg said:
They've all but said the shitty American dollar is persuading them to allocate more hardware to Europe.

Where did they say this? I am not doubting your honesty, I just have not read anything where they implied the weak American dollar has caused them to focus shipments elsewhere.

Link Man

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:

But Nintendo's not doing nothing. It's releasing Super Mario Sluggers (or is it Mario Super Sluggers), which is based on America's summertime game (and Japan's favorite sport). It is also a bridge game between Wii Sports players and "traditional" baseball video game enthusiasts.

acm2000

potential 360 buyers are holding off for the price cut that is going to come at e3 next month, some potential ps3 owners jumped the start line and went for the better value ps3 bundles ready for MGS4 rather than getting the official bundle which are never as good deals, and as for wii, well, i guess old peoples homes are buying one for every resident. :lol

edit: Mama Robotnik is worthy of being a mod, those gifs are legendary :lol

Sibylus

Banned
Picard.gif, entergaf.gif, panda.gif
I threw it into Gimp to read all the frames kekeke
, priceisright.gif, etc.

Spoiled rotten!

Scrubking said:
I can agree with that, but why would companies bemoan the prospect of similar profitability with less investment? Yes, they can continue making 60 Million dollar games and make a profit, but why not make 30 Million dollar games (which you can make more of), and equally profit? Wouldn't shareholders, etc be happier spending less on a game than more?

Remember at the beginning of this gen, most observers did not forsee the current situation. The publishers raised the price of software to $60 (then a controversial move) to cover the increase in development costs. If the PS3 or 360 had become the next PS2, the risks you mentioned would be greatly minimized. Furthermore, there are plenty of publishers who are creatively bankrupt. How do you convince gamers to buy a new Madden or generic shooter 357? The safest bet is to improve the visual fidelity i.e., raise the budget to give gamers a glossier version of a game they already own. Of course, this is not the case for all third parties. But every publisher, Nintendo included, needs to have titles that act as safe bets to cushion their portfolios. For most third parties, these safe bets were blockbuster HD games.

Scrubking said:
Take Capcom, for example. A company I can't begin to understand. They have spent millions making tons of PS360 games and yet refuse to allocate a proper advertising budget for any of their very cheaply made Wii games of which 2 have sold over a million. How does that make any sense?

I honestly don't know. If I had to guess, I would say that do to the disruptive (read: unpredictable) unpredictable nature of the Wii, third parties like Capcom want to take as little financial risk as possible when they test the waters. RE5 is guaranteed to sell, Zack&Wiiki? Who the fuck knows.

Scrubking said:
Anyway I'm not really into the sales-age thing. All I know is that Nintendo has a 3rd party crisis with their Wii, and this may be the first generation in which the market leader gets the worst support (and the most hatred to boot).

It's not really a crisis for Nintendo. As usual though, the only answer is the least satisfying; wait and see what happens.

Mooreberg said:
I don't disagree but it's gonna be hard for Nintendo to say they're creating a system that all developers can thrive on if they're trying to "invalidate" half of what they create. That's the kind of attitude that prompts companies to look elsewhere. I'd think they'd want to avoid another situation like the PSOne coming out of nowhere to become the unlikely ally of everyone else in the industry.

Well, there's two sides to it. You have articulated the downside very well. But the upside is, for small developers, and for developers like Sega who have not done well in the Playstation era of cinematic games, the Wii has leveled the playing field. Budget isn't as important anymore, what matters is who has the strongest ideas. And technically, any publisher can jump on the Wii train. They just have to shift their philosophy towards Nintendo's and away from one that frankly, as we can see from the sales of the HD consoles, was not very sustainable.

Scrubking said:

Everyone knows the potential of Wii, not to say the game makers or publishers. Many of them are definitely willing to spend a lot of money on Wii projects. The problem for them right now is: where and how do I spend the money? The industry is still confused by how they can build a "guaranteed" selling game on Wii, unlike the traditional gamings in which there are almost like some established "successful formulas" in many game genres, and all you need to run it is to invest, the more the better.

It's pretty simple, 3rd parties want to tell Nintendo what to do and Nintendo is telling them, we follow our own rules and there's no way we are going to suck up to you guys so fuck off

Scrubking

norinrad21 said:
It's pretty simple, 3rd parties want to tell Nintendo what to do and Nintendo is telling them, we follow our own rules and there's no way we are going to suck up to you guys so fuck off

And when they do "fuck off" and stop making Wii games what happens?

Scrubking said:

N64 survived, Cube survived and guess what? Wii is trashing everything that comes its way. Nintendo has shown time and time again, they can survive without 3rd parties.

3rd parties see the wii and they run for cover, not knowing what to do with this amazing machine, its their loss

turk128

AnimeTheme said:
Everyone knows the potential of Wii, not to say the game makers or publishers. Many of them are definitely willing to spend a lot of money on Wii projects. The problem for them right now is: where and how do I spend the money? The industry is still confused by how they can build a "guaranteed" selling game on Wii, unlike the traditional gamings in which there are almost like some established "successful formulas" in many game genres, and all you need to run it is to invest, the more the better.
There's way too much truth in this and it's damn sad; they're all waiting to play follow-the-leader.

Scrubking said:
The top 10 has 4 Wii games instead of 5?
MobiusPigeon said:
Japan was the region with the least sold PS2s. And PS1s. And PSPs. Of course, in those first two cases "least sold" was still 20 million.

Top Bottom