• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

Talamius

AugustDivision said:
Here's a novel concept: Wii owners are a healthy mix of both.

A healthy mix of both is exactly the way to describe it. This mix is what pushed the PS2 to immortality. People who keep saying "wait on the PS2 userbase to transition!"....guess what, they already are and the vast majority of them are choosing the Wii.

You CANNOT have a market-leading console that only caters to the hardcore.

jay

CartridgeBlower said:
Anomaly in the dictionary. As in THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD.

Once again -- a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.

That isn't the Wii?

And to the dude with the Sonic avatar, how do you say 'excellent post' to a post that says we should separate data for the Wii and X360/PS3, yet you criticize me for using the word anomaly when describing the Wii?

Isn't that completely backwards to your point?

This position is hilarious. An anomaly out of a data set of three and ignoring all other consoles in history? The PS3 is clearly a color anomaly.

The guy who won the marathon was an anomaly. No one else had such good time.

Scrubking

Where are you people getting this idea that Capcom advertising their Wii games wouldn't generate more sales for those games?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mrbob said:
If this is the case, what motivation do third parties have to put these games on Wii? Zero, since the Wii userbase doesn't care about these games as you have pointed out.

Games like DMC4 and GTA4 are enjoying record sales on HD consoles. Yes, they are selling better and faster than previous iterations.

Just because Nintendo has opened up a new demographic doesn't make that the only demographic that the Wii userbase has.

Hey, did the Wii pass North American sales of the 360 with these numbers? I wasn't keeping track. Nintendo's Press release says they're at 10.2 million units sold in NA. Do we have 360 numbers?

leroy hacker said:
Where did I say Capcom should advertise their current Wii games more? In fact I said TV advertising wouldn't work for them. My point about advertising was that they're not making more Wii games because they can't sell them using their usual business strategy. That they are making fewer Wii games is simply a fact.

But what is they're usual business strategy? Flashy graphics? To reduce Capcom's business acumen to that seems... well, really simplistic.

Upcoming Capcom console games:

PS360+Wii(supposedly)
Moto GP 08

Wii
Monster Hunter 3
Neopets Puzzle Adventure
Spyborgs
We Love Golf(western release)

PS360
Resident Evil 5
Dark Void
Bionic Commando
Street Fighter IV

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
SSFIIHD

I'm sure I'm missing a few XBLA+PSN games, but those are definitely all of their announced Wii games.

I count 4 Wii, 4 PS360. Two digital download games, which, well, doesn't really support your argument, since Capcom (really no one) breaks the bank on marketing for digidownload games.

On a side note, I miss the days of the GBA outselling the PS3. I loved the gifs associated with that battle. And yes, I own a PS3. It was just hiliarious. Now, it's just the Wii and DS that's dominating everything else, which isn't really fun anymore (other than seeing fanboys totally freak out).

What I don't understand is that if "Wii supporters" are so desperate for games like RE5, GTA4, etc to be released on their console of choice, then why do they own a Wii exclusively in the first place? These games are already coming to 360 and PS3, with no ports or even alternatives in sight for Wii. Why do you feel that it's a given that Wii will receive these more ambitious types of titles? It doesn't as of now, and it might not ever become the ideal system for hardcore games. If you want to play the majority of this generation's "hardcore" games, you need a 360 or PS3, at least so far.

And if you aren't satisfied with the games Wii has right now, and wish that it would have much more of the MGS, RE5, Bioshock, etc types of games that are available on 360 and PS3, then do you really even like the Wii? From my perspective, it doesn't seem like Nintendo has tried very hard to bring these sorts of experiences to Wii. They set a precedent for releasing simplified, minimalistic games on Wii with Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc, which sold shittons. Sure, the Wii could eventually become a great system for both types of games, but as of now, the reality is that 3rd party developers aren't bringing their big-budget, A-team games to Wii. I realize that this is probably a given, but it's almost like punishing yourself to keep expecting that this situation will suddenly reverse.

Ydahs

AugustDivision said:
Hey, did the Wii pass North American sales of the 360 with these numbers? I wasn't keeping track. Nintendo's Press release says they're at 10.2 million units sold in NA. Do we have 360 numbers?
360 at 10.3 million. Next month should be the month.

bigmakstudios said:
What I don't understand is that if "Wii supporters" are so desperate for games like RE5, GTA4, etc to be released on their console of choice, then why do they own a Wii exclusively in the first place?
Probably the same reason people who don't own a Wii say the same thing when an exclusive Wii game is announced; "This g4m3 shuld b on ps360, it wuld l00k S0o much bettar!"

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
bigmakstudios said:
What I don't understand is that if "Wii supporters" are so desperate for games like RE5, GTA4, etc to be released on their console of choice, then why do they own a Wii exclusively in the first place? These games are already coming to 360 and PS3, with no ports or even alternatives in sight for Wii. Why do you feel that it's a given that Wii will receive these more ambitious types of titles? It doesn't as of now, and it might not ever become the ideal system for hardcore games. If you want to play the majority of this generation's "hardcore" games, you need a 360 or PS3, at least so far.

And if you aren't satisfied with the games Wii has right now, and wish that it would have much more of the MGS, RE5, Bioshock, etc types of games that are available on 360 and PS3, then do you really even like the Wii?
Wow, you're right. All this time I thought I was enjoying my Wii system, I've been fooling myself! Thank you for showing me the light!

AugustDivision said:
Probably the same reason people who don't own a Wii say the same thing when an exclusive Wii game is announced; "This g4m3 shuld b on ps360, it wuld l00k S0o much bettar!"

I don't see that happening very often.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, in response to NPD's theory that PS3/360 sales could rise due to Father's Day and Graduations; were there ever this many excuses for the Gamecube failing to sell as well as the Xbox and PS2 last generation, a year and a half in, from the same (or similar at least) group of analysts?

EDIT: Bigmakstudios, you're clearly not interested in the least about discussing sales figures, so kindly take your "Wii has no games for me!" schtick to another more relevant topic, thankyouverymuch.

bigmakstudios said:
I don't see that happening very often.
It happens for every big game, at least.

Monster Hunter 3 featured a good bit of trolling from many butthurt PS3 owners. The Fatal Frame IV thread was downright jovial for two pages until the "Why isn't this on PS3 I bought a PS3 for this game this fucking sucks it would be awesome on PS3 or 360" crowd game in.

Pureauthor said:
But what is they're usual business strategy? Flashy graphics? To reduce Capcom's business acumen to that seems... well, really simplistic.

No, not flashy graphics. They're following the Hollywood blockbuster model, which involves using an advertising blitz to create a launch event. Graphics are not the main part of the strategy, but they're something very useful to help make TV (and cinema) spots make an impression.
Also, this strategy does not support unfamiliar game concepts. That's why Zack & Wiki couldn't be advertised using it.

Capcom probably is going to try something like this with Spyborgs, just with a younger demographics. That's why we saw the character introductions but not the game design-that's how they're going to try to sell the game: based on characters and high concepts, just like how they're selling their current games.

Compare this strategy to how Nintendo sells their games, by selling the experience of playing them, showing people playing games, not showing cinematic scenes. It is a different advertising strategy that is based on a different game design strategy.

Mikami's Capcom 5 plan of bringing originality to the forefront was also a different strategy from the current Capcom plan. (I know you'll say this plan failed, which is true but irrelevant. I'm not arguing that Capcom should change their strategy, I'm just arguing that they are largely following a certain strategy.)

I count 4 Wii, 4 PS360. Two digital download games, which, well, doesn't really support your argument, since Capcom (really no one) breaks the bank on marketing for digidownload games.

Are you actually counting those Wii games as equal efforts to the PS360 games? The budget of those four games is probably less than a quarter of the budget of the other list, besides the fact that only one of those Wii games is internal. And We Love Golf is already out in Japan so it barely counts as an upcoming game.

Anyway, as I said, it's simply a fact that Capcom is doing less Wii development. I am simply trying to explain one possible reason. It doesn't explain 100% of their development choices, but I think it explains much of their resource allocation.

Neo C. said:
You see, what you want to see (and vice versa: you don't see, what you don't want to see). It's a natural behaviour.:D

Not really. There was a bit with Monster Hunter 3, I suppose, but otherwise, it very rarely, if ever happens. It definitely didn't happen with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Super Mario Galaxy. There was never a chance for those games to be released on competing systems, and I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe that there was. I'm pretty sure that this sort of whining only occurs with major 3rd party releases that end up being exclusive to one console or another.

Odysseus said:
wii software domination

get used to it
fortune_wii.jpg

jjasper

bigmakstudios said:
Not really. There was a bit with Monster Hunter 3, I suppose, but otherwise, it very rarely, if ever happens. It definitely didn't happen with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Super Mario Galaxy. There was never a chance for those games to be released on competing systems, and I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe that there was. I'm pretty sure that this sort of whining only occurs with major 3rd party releases that end up being exclusive to one console or another.

I openly wished that Prime 3 had been made in HD because I though the control scheme was fine and the game would benefit more from added immersion.

Anyway I hope someone takes notice and actually releases some good original games for the system cause as of right now I can't think of anything interesting besides Little King's Story coming out for it the rest of the year.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
For someone who owns a good home theater setup, wanting stuff like Mario Galaxy, Metroid, and Zelda in HD is not a console preference bias. Those games look good, but I'd love to see what Nintendo's software folks could've done if the Wii wasn't gimped graphically and sound wise. I don't even care if they include motion controls or not.

And I'm not too worried about the HD consoles getting their ass handed to them. They'll both continue to get great software regardless. They're both priced too high. Sony has already slashed the price more than any console in history in such a short time frame, so it's understandable that they'd wait a bit, but it's confusing to wonder why MS is so reluctant.

bigmakstudios said:
What I don't understand is that if "Wii supporters" are so desperate for games like RE5, GTA4, etc to be released on their console of choice, then why do they own a Wii exclusively in the first place?

There are those of us who believe RE5 could be done better on Wii, as an overall package, than on the other consoles. I would rather play Re5 with the Wiimote than with the other controllers.

The PS3 and the 360 are going to end in a virtual deadlock worldwide. The Wii is going to run away with first place.

In other words, the PS3 and the 360 are the true "niche" consoles and almost everyone predicted it to be the other way around.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bigmakstudios said:

And if you aren't satisfied with the games Wii has right now, and wish that it would have much more of the MGS, RE5, Bioshock, etc types of games that are available on 360 and PS3, then do you really even like the Wii? From my perspective, it doesn't seem like Nintendo has tried very hard to bring these sorts of experiences to Wii. They set a precedent for releasing simplified, minimalistic games on Wii with Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc, which sold shittons. Sure, the Wii could eventually become a great system for both types of games, but as of now, the reality is that 3rd party developers aren't bringing their big-budget, A-team games to Wii. I realize that this is probably a given, but it's almost like punishing yourself to keep expecting that this situation will suddenly reverse.
your post neglects to touch on one major thing. The Wii and PS360 are drastically different in a pretty major area... control. Even non-nintenbots pretty unanimously agree that going back to RE5 from RE4Wii is going to be tough. And once you sit down with titles like Metroid Prime 3 and COD3 you begin to see the limitations of dual analog in FPS titles. We won't even go into the enjoyment you can get when developers implement varied controls in sandbox titles like Godfather, Scarface, Bully, etc. Hell, even most agree that the classic controller is more comfortable than the respective game pads on those systems.

If the ONLY difference between Wii and PS360 were graphics, your post would have a point (and is consequently why nintendo-bashers harp on it so much) but the fact is that an even more substantial difference between the two platforms is control, and that's something that you simply can't just throw better graphics and beefier hardware at to make go away.

jjasper

borghe said:
your post neglects to touch on one major thing. The Wii and PS360 are drastically different in a pretty major area... control. Even non-nintenbots pretty unanimously agree that going back to RE5 from RE4Wii is going to be tough. And once you sit down with titles like Metroid Prime 3 and COD3 you begin to see the limitations of dual analog in FPS titles. We won't even go into the enjoyment you can get when developers implement varied controls in sandbox titles like Godfather, Scarface, Bully, etc. Hell, even most agree that the classic controller is more comfortable than the respective game pads on those systems.

People really think the Classic controller is more comfortable?

PS: How is Bully I was thinking of picking it up after I was completely disappointed by GTA4

Tobor

bigmakstudios said:

Broken record is back I see.

bigmakstudios from page 12 of this very thread! said:
I'm not having a good day. I would articulate a direct response to your earlier post, but I'm not feeling up to thinking much right now beyond the track I'm already on.
But to explain why I'm bringing up games, I'm just expressing my frustration with how Wii is wildly successful despite, I feel, a significant surfeit of quality games in comparison to its competitors. I thought I made that clear in my first post in the thread.

Over and over and over...

jjasper

Tobor said:
Broken record is back I see.

Over and over and over...

The answer is easy:

2ci7eqg.jpg

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm a Nintendo whore, but I can't go for that. I'm hoping homebrewers find how to connect to other Bluetooth devices so I can play emulators on Wii with a Dual Shock 3. :)

Yeah I have only really played it with some SNES games and Brawl and I personally don't like it. Although I think it would be fine if someone made handles for it basically turning it into a Dual shock.

Also on a side note. I really wish Nintendo would make a N64 controller for it.

jjasper said:
People really think the Classic controller is more comfortable?
I'm a Nintendo whore, but I can't go for that. I'm hoping homebrewers find how to connect to other Bluetooth devices so I can play emulators on Wii with a Dual Shock 3. :)

So with Guitar Heor III for the Wii selling so well, what are the chances of them releasing a 1 and 2 (and maybe the 80s) compilation for the Wii? I finally purchased Guitar Hero when they released the third game, but having played the other ones in college, and enjoying their setlists more, I'd really like to play them all on my Wii. Any rumours on this or is it never going to happen?

Tobor

JoshuaJSlone said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

rhino4evr

Tobor said:
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

don't be too offended, the dual shock is basically a SNES pad with Analog sticks and rumble.

wanted to say something about GHIII on Wii. It really shows you just who is buying games for the Wii. Would anyone on this board decide to purchase the Wii version, which does not feature online, DLC, or stereo sound? Of course not, it jsut further proves that despite the amount of time we spend talking and playing games we are the niche. The Wii is the mainstream console of choice, and will be until the next round of consoles.

kame-sennin said:
So the point of Nintendo's disruption isn't to just beat the PS3/360, but to invalidate all traditional (dual analog, cinema quality) gaming consoles. This would include the PS2 as well as any future console designed in the same vein as the PS3/360.

The Wii's goal is to disrupt the notion of the gaming console as (a) a technological product and (b) an upmarket product for "nuanced" or "elite" or "hardcore" consumers. Both are pretty much explicitly the intended perception of both the PS3 and Xbox 360, but neither applies to the PS2 -- which is (unsurprisingly, given that it was last generation's winner) actually quite close to the Wii in many ways.

The real key point here is that, unlike with Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo doesn't inherently need to have an antagonistic relationship with third-party developers. The Wii-branded first-party software is 100% safe -- third-parties cannot successfully do anything to hurt its sales -- so Nintendo gains no benefit from making things harder for them, and does benefit in the form of licensing fees by making them successful.

Nintendo really should be working directly with third-parties to cement their dominance further by putting their marketing muscle behind those third-parties who "get it" -- i.e. the strategy Sony successfully disrupted them with back in the day. But Nintendo's never actually been able to successfully apply a carrot to third-party relations, and they're so incredibly conservative that I imagine they're happier with a 100% certain ass-kicking than on risking a few million dollars to upgrade it to an 85% likely ass-kicking x2.

leroy hacker said:
But I don't think Capcom can be explained so easily. It's probably a combination of having pre-committed their teams to large projects(DMC4, RE5) and fallout from the Capcom 5 and RE exclusivity fiasco.

Right. Capcom got burned bad by Nintendo last generation and I imagine that influences the actions of any executives who went through that whole period.

Also, Capcom is not the company it used to be.

I don't know about that. Even with the lost personnel from Clover, Capcom still seems to be one of the leaders of broad, distinct development in the Japanese market. They seem to have all the bases covered pretty well, and they aren't reliant on any one system for their success. (They also have the biggest and best-chosen console exclusive announced for Wii in Japan with MH3.)

(And I see now that Pureauthor basically beat me to the punch on this one.)

bigmakstudios said:
Not really. There was a bit with Monster Hunter 3, I suppose, but otherwise, it very rarely, if ever happens.

It very much so does. Between being in the thick of the console war, and GAF's overall downward trend in quality of discourse, not a single exclusive announcement goes by without members of the opposite camp coming in to whine about said exclusive's placement -- it's not as common on Wii just because there aren't that many good third-party Wii exclusives yet, but "OMG this would look nice on PSP :( :(" is a staple of every DS announcement thread; to suggest that this is any rarer than the equally prevalent and equally annoying "why not for Wii :(" whining can only mean one is either blind or lying.

TomServo

VistraNorrez said:
So with Guitar Heor III for the Wii selling so well, what are the chances of them releasing a 1 and 2 (and maybe the 80s) compilation for the Wii? I finally purchased Guitar Hero when they released the third game, but having played the other ones in college, and enjoying their setlists more, I'd really like to play them all on my Wii. Any rumours on this or is it never going to happen?

Chances are it'll never happen now that Activision and Harmonix have gone their seperate ways.

Shame, since I enjoy playing GHII on 360 but prefer the Wii controller. Once you get used to the perfection that is star power activation on Wii GHIII, everything else feels broken.

rhino4evr said:
wanted to say something about GHIII on Wii. It really shows you just who is buying games for the Wii. Would anyone on this board decide to purchase the Wii version, which does not feature online, DLC, or stereo sound? Of course not, it jsut further proves that despite the amount of time we spend talking and playing games we are the niche. The Wii is the mainstream console of choice, and will be until the next round of consoles.

I may be an "anomoly" (sorry, couldn't resist), but chances are I'm trading in my 360 Les Paul and copy of GHII today and buying a second Wii controller. I'm not a hardcore GH player, only making it about halfway through the hard career in GHII and GHIII, but the Wii controller really is that much better for the casual, typically drunken playtime that GH gets from myself and whatever friends are in the house.

Tobor

rhino4evr said:
don't be too offended, the dual shock is basically a SNES pad with Analog sticks and rumble.

The Dpad on the CC is fantastic, and I love the shape of the controller. Using a DS3 to play VC games when a superior(for SNES and earlier) option exists just seems strange.

Like I said though, whatever hoists your sail.

borghe

rhino4evr said:
two things:

a) all copies of GH3 on store shelves have stereo. This was a bug and in the off chance you still find one that doesn't have stereo, you can get a replacement or full refund from Activision. edit - oh.. umm.. misssed the online part as well. Wii has all the online modes of the other ones as well, and has from day one. Apparently posting on GAF and bashing the Wii doesn't need one to know what they are talking about, at all.... I'll give you the stereo thing as you might have missed news about the resolution, but saying it doesn't have online shows you have no clue about what you're talking about.

b) up until this week I would certainly not be inclined to suggest someone to get the 360 or PS3 version solely on DLC.. I mean let's face it.. GHIII's DLC has been marginal at best. It sounds like it is getting much better coming up now, but up until this week I personally would go so far as to say GHIII's DLC is a non-factor. Personally (and anecdotally) I have only ever bought one pack from it (as opposed to seriously around 75-80% of rock band's DLC).

jjasper

Tobor said:
The Dpad on the CC is fantastic, and I love the shape of the controller. Using a DS3 to play VC games when a superior(for SNES and earlier) option exists just seems strange.

Like I said though, whatever hoists your sail.

My Dpad gets stuck if I push up or down sometimes because the dpad itself doesn't fit right (it is way too lose) maybe mine is just a bad unit though.

Edit: Hey I own Guitar Hero for the Wii.

Tobor

jjasper said:
My Dpad gets stuck if I push up or down sometimes because the dpad itself doesn't fit right (it is way too lose) maybe mine is just a bad unit though.

Sounds like it. Mine(and the one I've used at my brother's house) have both been perfect.

borghe

jjasper said:
yeah.. umm.. that ain't right. :p

Edit: Hey I own Guitar Hero for the Wii.
I do also, and the only reason I have any other version (360) is because it was bought for me as an x-mas present. but really.. with my one whopping download pack if I only ever owned the Wii version I would have been fine (after my free stereo replacement of course).

TomServo

borghe said:
I do also, and the only reason I have any other version (360) is because it was bought for me as an x-mas present. but really.. with my one whopping download pack if I only ever owned the Wii version I would have been fine (after my free stereo replacement of course).

Not to digress, but are they still giving away the guitar faceplate with replacement discs? I've had the envelope for months, need to send that bad boy in.

Struct09

rhino4evr said:

The Wii version does feature online, and as already stated the stereo bug has been fixed.

charlequin said:
(They also have the biggest and best-chosen console exclusive announced for Wii in Japan with MH3.)

What do you mean by "best-chosen"? It's certainly the biggest Wii exclusive, but the entire fanbase is on the playstation family and Wii controls aren't how any of them wanted Capcom to develop the series. That exclusivity will probably hurt the PS3 more than it helps the Wii.

jjasper

Hmm I always just assumed it was a design flaw. Wonder if Nintendo will replace it, their customer service is usually pretty good.

Top Bottom