• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

He hasn't broken his contract or anything yet, asking (or demanding) a trade has nothing to do with not honouring your contract! You can bitch about it all you want, making up absurd theories about the social upbringing and flawed marriages of ignorant canadian hockey players if you must, but your attempts to make it sound like this is some sort of huge flaw in hockey that doesn't exist in other sports is just ****ing stupid. If you're going to overreact and spin odd theories about shit no one else cares about, at least be entertaining about it.

calder said:
He hasn't broken his contract or anything yet, asking (or demanding) a trade has nothing to do with not honouring your contract! You can bitch about it all you want, making up absurd theories about the social upbringing and flawed marriages of ignorant canadian hockey players if you must, but your attempts to make it sound like this is some sort of huge flaw in hockey that doesn't exist in other sports is just ****ing stupid. If you're going to overreact and spin odd theories about shit no one else cares about, at least be entertaining about it.

I would disagree. I don't see much difference between this and the Terrell Owen situation, except Prongs isn't being as theaterical about it.

I'll leave it at that though ... I got that off my chest, it was just venting. He's not Gretzky, the only thing that really bothers me is he's going to set our franchise back a 1 or 2 years. We'll be back though (we always are). There's a lot of pressure on teams like Tampa and Philly to make big changes this summer, we could grab Gange or Lecavalier.

It seems like all the stars are alligning for Vancouver to make the Cup final (and then lose in game 7) for 2007.

So that's it, I said my piece. On with the draft talk.

calder

- Several published reports indicate that the Pittburgh Penguins, desperate for defence, are offering the number two overall pick to Carolina in exchange for last year's number three pick, Jack Johnson. The Hurricanes would then use the second pick on Jordan Staal, the younger brother of 'Canes star Eric Staal.

- The St. Petersburg Times chimes in suggesting that the Lightning are also interested in Jean-Sebastien Giguere and Evgeni Nabokov, in addition to Denis, with Fedotenko and Modin expected to be the bait. The paper also dismisses the notion that a Vincent Lecavalier or Martin St. Louis-to-Florida-for Roberto Luongo trade isn't very likely.

- According to the Toronto Star, the Leafs' most likely options for starting goaltender are also Giguere and Nabokov. The prime bait would include a young forward like Matt Stajan, Kyle Wellwood or Alexander Steen. The paper also has the Leafs trying to move Ed Belfour and Tie Domi, though their salaries would seem to make that prohibitive. hope the Leafs move Steen so I can cheer for him with a good conscience again!

- While noting that the Ottawa Senators would surely have interest in free agent C Michael Peca, the Ottawa Citizen suggests that Peca would prefer to land in Buffalo or Toronto. Alyn McCauley, Shean Donovan and Steve Rucchin were also mentioned as Senators options.

- The Ottawa Citizen has more Lightning trade options: Anaheim's Jean-Sebastien Giguere, San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov, Buffalo's Martin Biron, Boston's Andrew Raycroft, Montreal's David Aebischer or Vancouver's Dan Cloutier are all possibilities.

- According to the Detroit News, if the Red Wings can't put together an offer for Florida's Roberto Luongo, then Anaheim's Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Buffalo's Martin Biron, Boston's Andrew Raycroft, Philadelphia's Robert Esche, Montreal's David Aebischer and San Jose's Evgeni Nabakov would all be viable alternatives. In order to get Luongo, the paper expects that the Wings would have to offer C Pavel Datsyuk or D Niklas Kronwall with goalie prospect Jimmy Howard. Going further, the Wings might be forced to trade Mathieu Schneider and Robert Lang in order to create room for Luongo's anticipated salary. In an unrelated, though potentially related note, the Detroit Free Press notes that prospect Jiri Hudler, who scored 96 points in the AHL this year, will have to clear waivers if he's going to get sent down again.

- The Los Angeles Times reported that the Kings offered G Mathieu Garon, LW Alexander Frolov and RW Dustin Brown for Luongo. I think that's a really good offer, but the Panthers don't really need forwards. and I think Auld>Garon in the long run

- Rumblings in the New York Post indicate that tight friends Martin Havlat and Patrik Elias could end up in the same locale this summer, with Elias an unrestricted free agent and Havlat a restricted free agent that could be difficult for the Senators to keep.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
ForzaItalia said:
So will it be redemption at today's draft for JFJ or more of "how the **** is this guy even an NHL GM"? when all is said and done?

Most likely the latter. There are so many rumours that Leafs fans will only get their hopes up, just to be dashed at the end of the day. Me, I will be happy with we can get Little or Frolik.

Calder said:
- According to the Toronto Star, the Leafs' most likely options for starting goaltender are also Giguere and Nabokov. The prime bait would include a young forward like Matt Stajan, Kyle Wellwood or Alexander Steen. The paper also has the Leafs trying to move Ed Belfour and Tie Domi, though their salaries would seem to make that prohibitive. hope the Leafs move Steen so I can cheer for him with a good conscience again!

If he trades Steen I will kill him myself. Trade whoever you want JFJ but leave Steen out.

Calder said:
- While noting that the Ottawa Senators would surely have interest in free agent C Michael Peca, the Ottawa Citizen suggests that Peca would prefer to land in Buffalo or Toronto. Alyn McCauley, Shean Donovan and Steve Rucchin were also mentioned as Senators options.

It would be hilarious to see Peca and Tucker on the same team, I would think one of them would kill the other by the time the season is over.

R_GILL said:
If he trades Steen I will kill him myself. Trade whoever you want JFJ but leave Steen out.

Totally agree. Steen stays. I love how he plays. Just find a way to get Domi the **** out of Toronto ASAP!

R_GILL said:

Honestly its time to trade Sundin and REBUILD. YOu will get good trade Value for sundin right now.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Kabuki Waq said:
Honestly its time to trade Sundin and REBUILD. YOu will get good trade Value for sundin right now.

No we can't, his contract is for 6.33 mil and he is 35. Might as well keep him as we are not going to get fair value for him. Plus there is the fact that I can see him retiring by the time is contract is done.

calder

Kabuki Waq said:
the jets? where did they play again? i forget

Yes, they moved in 1996 to somewhere, can't remember where exactly. 10 years is a loooong time in sports terms, tough to remember stuff that happened much more than 20 years ago at all really.

Mahovolich4Kelly8.jpg

"Hey guys, get a load of this! We're trying to guess how many decades it'll be before this team wins another Cup! Red Kelly says 80 years, but I'm hopeful it'll be only half that long."

calder said:
"Hey guys, get a load of this! We're trying to guess how many decades it'll be before this team wins another Cup! Red Kelly says 80 years, but I'm hopeful it'll be only half that long."

Im pretty sure it will be before Weenypeg gets another NHL team again :p

let take a moment to look at the legacy left behind by the Winnipeg Jets:

Stanley Cup Champions:
None

Stanley Cup Finals:
None

NHL Conference Finals:
None

President's Trophy:
None

NHL Division Champions:
None

Playoff Appearences: (11)
1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1996

tie_pizzahut.jpg

calder

Kabuki Waq said:
Im pretty sure it will be before Winnepeg gets another NHL team again :p
Well, Winnepeg never had an NHL team to begin with so granted it looks pretty grim for them. In fact, it never had a city either, so they're a real long shot.

Kabuki Waq said:

Stanley Cup Champions:
None

Stanley Cup Finals:
None

NHL Conference Finals:
None

President's Trophy:
None

NHL Division Champions:
None

tie_pizzahut.jpg

I could be wrong, but looking at that, it looks like Winnipeg made the playoffs more frequently than Toronto did during their NHL tenure. The Jets of the 80s IIRC were much better than the Maple Leafs ... if it wasn't for the Oilers they may have won something.

calder

Kabuki Waq said:

Stanley Cup Champions:
None

Stanley Cup Finals:
None

NHL Conference Finals:
None

President's Trophy:
None

NHL Division Champions:
None

Had the foresight to run Tie Domi the **** out of town when they had the chance: (1)

tie_pizzahut.jpg
Fixed, and it's a pretty important category IMO so yes it should count in the Jets favour.

calder

Ducky raises horses in Ontario and is involved in racing and shit now. He and his wife are noted breeders (heh heh) I believe, and he plays the odd charity game. He's one of those guys who had a great, long if somewhat overshadowed career, got out and started doing something else he loved and seems very happy everytime he's interviewed. Of course, being a retired millionaire in your mid 30's probably makes the whole "finding a new personally rewarding hobby to pass the time" thing pretty easy, but still it's good on him.

dem

Man... the Oilers are so f'd.
Theres no deal out there that would impact the team like having Pronger on the backend. What a ****ing douche. I always knew he was a jerkoff before he came to edmonton.. but i tried to sweep those feelings under the bed once we got him. F.. what an asshole. Why even sign a fn contract? OH BOOHOO MY WIFE NEEDS TO BE DOWN SOUTH. **** your wife. She didn't know who she was marrying? She didn't know you were going to sign a five year fn deal with the Oilers?? What a fn sham.

I've never seen such a fukjob. At least he fn raised his trade value this season.. oh wait.. he fd that all away when he told the media he wanted out and then RAN THE F OFF TO MEXICO AND LEFT THE OILERS TO DEAL WITH OVERFLOWING SHIT STORM.

traitorpronger.jpg

The only place that looks like a deal could be made is florida... and they wont deal bouwmeester to the Oilers. The whole fn reason they would want Pronger is to play with Jay. ****. What a total fukkjob...

Give me your first round pick.. Olesz... and Van Ryn.
GO team GO
agsjdhgajlksg#TKJ@#KIjtsdkjsga

dem said:
Man... the Oilers are so f'd.
Theres no deal out there that would impact the team like having Pronger on the backend. What a ****ing douche. I always knew he was a jerkoff before he came to edmonton.. but i tried to sweep those feelings under the bed once we got him. F.. what an asshole. Why even sign a fn contract? OH BOOHOO MY WIFE NEEDS TO BE DOWN SOUTH. **** your wife. She didn't know who she was marrying? She didn't know you were going to sign a five year fn deal with the Oilers?? What a fn sham.

I've never seen such a fukjob. At least he fn raised his trade value this season.. oh wait.. he fd that all away when he told the media he wanted out and then RAN THE F OFF TO MEXICO AND LEFT THE OILERS TO DEAL WITH OVERFLOWING SHIT STORM.

traitorpronger.jpg

The only place that looks like a deal could be made is florida... and they wont deal bouwmeester to the Oilers. The whole fn reason they would want Pronger is to play with Jay. ****. What a total fukkjob...

Give me your first round pick.. Olesz... and Van Ryn.
GO team GO
agsjdhgajlksg#TKJ@#KIjtsdkjsga

Bobby Clarke is dumb enough to make a move and he's under a lot of heat in Philly to do something.

Gange for Pronger ... let Peca walk (not that he's gonna stay anyway, same wifey issues) and then go after one of Ottawa's free agent D-Men.

The Oilers may not neccesarily compete this coming year, but I'm pretty confident. Next time Lowe though make sure the damn wife of the player you're signing knows what the hell she's getting into.

Oh would you guys just shut the **** up already?! Hockey is a business. Period. There is no loyalty. Good for Pronger and his wife. I'm glad he has the balls to stand up and say:

"Get me the **** out of this cesspool of shit and boredom that is Edmonton!!"

fallout

Well, all we need to do is find some disgruntled wife who prefers Edmonton.

By the way, the entry draft was broadcast on TSN's website last year, any idea if they'll be doing the same?

dem

ForzaItalia said:
Oh would you guys just shut the **** up already?! Hockey is a business. Period. There is no loyalty. Good for Pronger and his wife. I'm glad he has the balls to stand up and say:

Yeah its a businesss.. where you sign contracts.

Yeah its a cesspool up in edmonton all right.. a cellpool OF ****ING MONEY. MONEY MONEY MONEY. THE ONLY ****ING PLACE THATS WORTH SHIT IN THIS ****ING COUNTRY.

ForzaItalia said:

I don't really care about loyalty.

It would be nice though if you're going to make a team sign you to a 5 year deal that you make sure you're cool with the city first.

I mean ... that's just asking for basic competence.

Don't put us through the shit of your family soap opera, because like you said it's a business. Well we don't want to deal with that shit either. That's not business, that's personal bullshit.

And it's nice that this guy jets off to Mexico, while we gotta clean up his mess and leaves his agent behind to leak the story to the press.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
We should cease disscussion about this dam loyalty crap immediatley, it's going nowhere.

What we should be talking about is the impending deal to bring Cloutier to Toronto, and all the jokes that will come with it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wolf said:
We should cease disscussion about this dam loyalty crap immediatley, it's going nowhere.

What we should be talking about is the impending deal to bring Cloutier to Toronto, and all the jokes that will come with it.

nah, we're still stuck on the possibility of domi going to montreal

The Oilers should make sure to get Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, etc. hitched with Alberta girls ASAP.

There's slutty blonde trophy wife material galore up here.

Get it done now ... less f-cking drama later on.

dem

soundwave05 said:
The Oilers should make sure to get Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, etc. hitched with Alberta girls ASAP.

There's slutty blonde trophy wife material galore up here.

We've already lost Stoll..

He's going out with.. *cringe*... Rachel Hunter..

DopeyFish said:
nah, we're still stuck on the possibility of domi going to montreal

maybe they can treat him with the respect he deserves and give him the Ice Time a first line forward like himself deserves.

oh i heard him and Koivu are tight yo.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Wolf said:

Forget that, Toronto should try to get Denis from Columbus.

dem said:
We've already lost Stoll..

He's going out with.. *cringe*... Rachel Hunter..

WTF ... isn't she from like New Zealand?

Ugh ... models/B-actress. Well at least they're not married, lol.

Gotta love how Janet made sure that Wayne got her pregnant before the marriage, and then like a 100 times afterwards. :lol

Not getting out of that one, Gretz.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Reilly said:
Legace will go to TO. That said, they already have Aubin and Telly locked up. :lol

Either Aubin and Telly could be traded, its not like they make much, a little over 500 k each.

hmm, found this:

Redden Close to Re-Signing with Ottawa, Chara Not Far Off? - source: Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun
The Senators are closing in on a new deal with defenceman Wade Redden.

And while sources say the club could announce the re-signing of Redden as early as today, the team has also made progress in talks with blueliner Zdeno Chara.

One source indicated Redden will likely sign a two- or three-year deal in the range of $6.25-million-to-$6.5-million (all terms US) per season, while it's believed Chara is being offered a similar deal.

In fact, a league source insisted that Redden's deal could be announced as early as today. Chara, on the other hand, is going to need more convincing.

"Redden wants to stay in Ottawa and I don't think he's going anywhere," said the source.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I can see Redden wanting to stay with Ottawa, but the source is a little questionable as I do not trust Garrioch.

The rumored Carolina Hurricanes offer of prospect blueliner Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh for the second overall pick is still floating around but the general managers of both clubs have declined to comment on it. Slam! Hockey reported Friday the Nashville Predators offered up blueline prospect Shea Weber.

Penguins GM Ray Shero is believed interested in landing a blue chip defense prospect and admits he's listening to offers but isn't actively shopping his pick.

Dem: This is purely theoretical and I do not see it happening at all, but how would this trade make you feel:

FAKE TRADE

to New York Rangers:
Chris Pronger
Jussi Markkenen

to Edmonton Oilers:
Petr Prucha
Henrik Lundqvist

FAKE TRADE

?

edit:

2 new RUMORS involving Buffalo:

1) Afinogenov and Biron to STL for the #1 pick

2) Vanek to Calgary for Jordan Leopold

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Mike Works said:
Dem: This is purely theoretical and I do not see it happening at all, but how would this trade make you feel:

FAKE TRADE

to New York Rangers:
Chris Pronger
Jussi Markkenen

to Edmonton Oilers:
Petr Prucha
Henrik Lundqvist

FAKE TRADE

?

I think its not bad, but New York better be sure that Montoya is the real deal before doing it.

dem

Mike Works said:

FAKE TRADE

to New York Rangers:
Chris Pronger
Jussi Markkenen

to Edmonton Oilers:
Petr Prucha
Henrik Lundqvist

FAKE TRADE

Is that a joke? Prucha is a bum. Lundqvist? Give me 5 more years of great hockey and i'll think about it. I'm not buying a one year wonder. Might aswell go after Raycroft.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
dem said:
Is that a joke? Prucha is a bum. Lundqvist? Give me 5 more years of great hockey and i'll think about it. I'm not buying a one year wonder. Might aswell go after Raycroft.

Lunqvist was also awesome in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom