• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prucha is a bum? Are you ****ing kidding?

I dunno, I'd probably be in a retarded mood if Ohlund suddenly said "**** vancouver this town smells" too :)

calder

Vanek for Leopold? I'd do that trade in a freaking heartbeat. Sutter, of course, would listen to the offer on the phone and then gruffly say that the Flames have plenty of offense and it's up to the young guys to score more. Then he'd trade Lombardi and Chucko for a physical, stay at home young dman.

That does remind me .... how the fark are the Flames going to score on the Canucks?

Even with a scoring winger I don't think they have enough offense to take Luongo out in a 7 game series.

It's gonna be Vancouver vs. Anaheim/San Jose for the West I think.

aceface

Yeah, I don't think Darcy would trade Vanek, a young scorer who he can keep cheap for a couple of more years. Would Calgary take Max for Leopold maybe? I think Afinogenov is definately on the block, and no he's not a UFA he's an RFA (like everyone else on the Sabres).

Edited: for clarity.

Reilly said:
Luongo did have a 2.95 GAA last season.

Yeah but he did stand on his head for a lot of those games ... Florida's defense was brutal. I remember watching the highlights for one Florida game and Luongo made something like 56 saves :lol

Vancouver's D isn't great, but it's a definite improvement from that.

You put Luongo on that '04 Vancouver squad and swap Bert out ... Vancouver probably doesn't lose to Calgary in 7.

calder

:lol I'm not exactly terrified of the Canucks just yet. They had a pretty flawed team last year and while they upgraded in goal that wasn't really their major problem. Considering some of their biggest names are UFA's who haven't exactly been lining up to resign they still have a lot of question marks. I'm sure they can't underperform as badly as last year, but if they can't sign Luongo to an extension they're screwed.

calder said:
:lol I'm not exactly terrified of the Canucks just yet. They had a pretty flawed team last year and while they upgraded in goal that wasn't really their major problem. Considering some of their biggest names are UFA's who haven't exactly been lining up to resign they still have a lot of question marks. I'm sure they can't underperform as badly as last year, but if they can't sign Luongo to an extension they're screwed.

Start hoping that Luongo's finace doesn't like cloudy weeks on end.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
soundwave05 said:
Could you let me know how long these bitter Pronger references in every post are gonna last?

dem

sefskillz said:
Could you let me know how long these bitter Pronger references in every post are gonna last?

More than one day... so shut your mouth and enjoy our despair

soundwave05 said:
You're bitter because your best player is leaving your shitstain of an ugly hick riddled city while our best player re-signed a 3 year contract and, gasp, has honoured it because Vancouver's the best and most beautiful city in North America.

I have nothing against Edmonton or Oiler fans, I'm just saying this to piss you off because your posts are getting really ****ing annoying now.

You have a vagina. We get it.

Can we please talk about the NHL Draft and potential trades now? You know, something constructive?

dem

Roberto Luongo thought he had worked out a long-term contract with the Florida Panthers early Friday afternoon.

A few hours later, the 27-year-old goaltender got a call informing him that he had been dealt to Vancouver in a five-player trade that sent forward Todd Bertuzzi back to Florida.

"I'm really sad because I didn't think this was going to happen," Luongo said Saturday. "We made great strides yesterday. I thought we were going to get something long term. I was surprised this whole deal went down."

Mike Works said:
You're bitter because your best player is leaving your shitstain of an ugly hick riddled city while our best player re-signed a 3 year contract and, gasp, has honoured it because Vancouver's the best and most beautiful city in North America.

I have nothing against Edmonton or Oiler fans, I'm just saying this to piss you off because your posts are getting really ****ing annoying now.

You have a vagina. We get it.

Can we please talk about the NHL Draft and potential trades now? You know, something constructive?

I was F-CKING JOKING. Holy shit :lol

I said you guys have a good shot of getting to the Cup finals several times in this thread.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
You Oil fans are moving up the annoying latter pretty fast, keep going and you'll hit "Leaf Fan" status.

dem, I don't know whether you're tears are blinding you from seeing or not, but the Oilers are still a formidable team, yes, even without Pronger.

They rode some hot goaltending and got players so step up and score key goals - That's how they got to the Stanley Cup Finals. Pronger was great in his role, and did alot, but he wasn't the end all/ be all of their Stanley Cup run, not even close.

How could fans of a team with so much young talent(new nhl + young talent=success) be complaining?

Wake up.

dem said:
Roberto Luongo thought he had worked out a long-term contract with the Florida Panthers early Friday afternoon.

A few hours later, the 27-year-old goaltender got a call informing him that he had been dealt to Vancouver in a five-player trade that sent forward Todd Bertuzzi back to Florida.

"I'm really sad because I didn't think this was going to happen," Luongo said Saturday. "We made great strides yesterday. I thought we were going to get something long term. I was surprised this whole deal went down."
You missed a paragraph:

"I think I'm excited because Vancouver is a great hockey city and they have a great team,'' he said. ''I'm really looking forward to the opportunity of making a run at the Stanley Cup, something I never had a chance to do in my prior seasons in Florida.''

soundwave05 said:
I was F-CKING JOKING. Holy shit :lol
You've been "F-CKING JOKING" all F-CKING day. It'd be a good time to put that "joke" to rest now.

Back to actual hockey discussion:

Rumors are floating around that Peter Laviolette has been re-signed by the Hurricanes to a 5 year, $5 million deal.

sefskillz

dem said:
More than one day... so shut your mouth and enjoy our despair
pronger2.jpg

More rumors:

Maxim Afinogenov and goalie Martin Biron to the St. Louis Blues for the No. 1 overall selection.

Don’t rule out the Blues making THE FIRST AND SECOND PICKS in the NHL Entry Draft. The Blues are among six teams that are legitimately negotiating with the Penguins for the second overall pick in the draft. A veteran defenseman and the Blues second first-round selection are on the table for the Penguins to consider.

Barrage

Soundwave, let me explain the situation to you in terms you can understand. Your posts are like Megatron. General human common sense is like Optimus Prime. Now, as we all know, Optimus Prime always wins over Megatron. Do you understand?

I'm not that hyped for the upcoming draft. The good players don't start coming until about pick No.27 anyhow.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
TSN said:
The Atlanta Thrashers have traded former top pick Patrik Stefan and Jaroslav Modry to Dallas for Niko Kapanen and a 7th round pick. Details to follow...

its on tsn.ca

Barrage said:
Soundwave, let me explain the situation to you in terms you can understand. Your posts are like Megatron. General human common sense is like Optimus Prime. Now, as we all know, Optimus Prime always wins over Megatron. Do you understand?

I'm not that hyped for the upcoming draft. The good players don't start coming until about pick No.27 anyhow.

What's that?

Marty Turco sucks and Mike Modano is 3000 years old?

Thanks for sharing that with everyone.

Mike Works said:
RUMOR

to Boston:

Chris Pronger
2nd round draft pick (45th overall)

to Edmonton:

Andrew Raycroft
Patrice Bergeron

RUMOR

That's .... not too bad actually. Bergeron's a 21 year old center who's already scoring 30+ goals. Kid is gonna be a stud.

Jussi/Raycroft would be a decent goaltending rotation.

We'd be getting a shit-ton of cap space I would think also.

calder

Wow, Patrick Stefan goes from can't-miss #1 overall pick to part of a package to get 3rd liner and a 7th round pick.

sefskillz

haha this is great. TSN has Nonnis wired while he's on the floor wheelin and dealin, that's fantastic.

Barrage said:
3000 years old, 30 years old-at least he isn't begging to be traded.:lol

After that playoff embarrassment, maybe he should be.

Shouldn't the Stars be sending you a gift basket for being their only fan in Canada?

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Yeah that Wired Nonis deal is pretty dam cool, it really does put you right there on the draft floor.

And no way in hell does Boston trade Bergeron. He's their future for christs sake. If they actually do deal him, then they might as well fold the Boston franchise, 'cause none of their fans are going to support them after giving up Thorton and Bergeron in less than a year.

calder

Bettman takes a moment to thank the 500-600 fans who decided to show up GM Place. Booing Bettman is soooooo 1994, I can't imagine a reason any fan anywhere thinks he need to boo the commish nowadays.

calder

Delay from the Blues... damn no trade, they're just teasing us. ****ing Blues hate freedom and hockey fans everywhere.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
:lol

What the hell, did he just try to get a pop from the crowd?

am I watching the WWF or something?

#1 pick goes as expected

calder

Oooh, trade...

TANGUAY TO CALGARY FOR LEOPOLD AND A PICK HAHAHA

DOZENS OF CANUCKS FANS IN ATTENDENCE FALL SILENT IN SHOCK, POWERHOUSE FLAMES IMPROVE OFFENSE! WOE BETIDE ROBERTO!

1) I think this is the best draft I've ever seen, thank you Vancouver fans at GM Place

2) Holy shit Tanguay, calder am fapping!

WORST WEEK IN EDMONTON OILERS FRANCHISE EVER CONFIRMED

Barrage

I'm liking the Stefan trade. His salary is much smaller then you'd think a former #1 Pick's would be(only $1 million) and Modry is just a quality D-Man which we need after our entire defense was exposed VS the Avs(Zubov and Daley included.) Even if Modry is the best part of this deal, I support it.

calder

Mike Works said:

:lol Not yet, wait until Pronger gets traded for a third liner, a #5 dman and a few picks THEN we'll talk.

Getting any offensive help is great, but get a ****ing #1 center dammit. Still, the price is sure right for Tanguay, halfway through last year I would have given Leopold away for a conditional 10th round pick

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Someone refresh my memory,

whats the current status of Tanguay? Wasn't he injured awaiting surgery, or am I thinking of someone else?

Mike Works said:
1) I think this is the best draft I've ever seen, thank you Vancouver fans at GM Place

2) Holy shit Tanguay, calder am fapping!

No, that would be a week in August 1988.

calder

Pens shock everyone, keep pick and take Staal 2nd.

The Flames gave up 2 2nd round picks, one this year and a conditional one (either 2007 or 08).

Barrage said:
I'm liking the Stefan trade. His salary is much smaller then you'd think a former #1 Pick's would be(only $1 million) and Modry is just a quality D-Man which we need after our entire defense was exposed VS the Avs(Zubov and Daley included.) Even if Modry is the best part of this deal, I support it.
Yeah, Dallas "won" that deal for sure, though it was more of a money deal than anything. Still it's always nice getting better players out of a deal because you can afford them.

Can't believe Lacroix gave up Tanguay and for so little too (at least from a Flames fan perspective). Calgary's got big D-men out their ass, I would've though it'd take someone more along the lines of a Regher to get Tanguay.

I think there's going to be a much bigger discrepencie in the 06-07 season in the Northwest Division than there was this year.

edit: didn't see that Calgary gave up two 2nd rounders, that makes more sense now. kind of an odd place Colorado is in now... I wonder how Sakic, after just re-signing with the Avalanche a week or so ago, feels about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom