• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

PistolGrip said:
I am surprise to see so many low psp numbers considering the lite one came out Its been selling like crazy at my local toys r us.
It came out during September, though. If it didn't hit 300K in that five-week month, it seems unlikely it will hit 400K in the following four-week month.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
It's that time of the month again, eh?

GAF’s Menstrual Period is upon us. With all the symptoms: anticipation, pain, relief,...

And god forbid if it is delayed by a few days.:lol

It's only really hard to predict for the 360 since the Wii is consistent at 100k a week and the PSP didn't really benefit from the new model much, unlike the situation in Japan.

C4Lukins

titiklabingapat said:
It's only really hard to predict for the 360 since the Wii is consistent at 100k a week and the PSP didn't really benefit from the new model much, unlike the situation in Japan.

I was just thinking that Wii shipments could possibly have increased significantly, and with PSP I just never know what is going on. The PSP Lite is still relatively new, and then you have the Star Wars bundles. Touchdown Texas! Sorry about that.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I may be mistaken but I think this is the first time the prediction thread started before the NPD period ends.

I can go and buy a million PS3 between now and midnight and prove everybody wrong!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Phoenix Down From the Ashes said:
[360] 320k
[GBA] 50k
[NDS] 390k
[PS2] 200k
[PS3] 192k
[PSP] 273k
[WII] 392k
I wont be back for a very long time...

It was a request from him.
R.I.P Phoenix.

donny2112

Gadfly said:
And god forbid if it is delayed by a few days.:lol
I'm almost expecting it to.

1) We started earlier than usual, so it's bound to therefore be delayed.
2) The observance of Veteran's Day is that week, and holidays have delayed it in the past.

Brakara

[WII] 415K
[DS] 395K
[360] 315K
[PSP] 220K
[PS2] 170K
[PS3] 105K
[GBA] 50K

Like last month, the 360 will be the hardest one to get right. Next month should be fun though.

[360] 343k
[GBA] 57k
[NDS] 400k
[PS2] 165k
[PS3] 94k
[PSP] 210k
[WII] 395k

360 - Surfing the wave of Halo 3 for first two weeks, then levelling out given the lack of any big software release. Bundle and Arcade launched with no fanfare, so I think it'll be somewhere between August and September numbers for October.
PS3 - Going down past few months, but I think a small spike for 40gb, and price drop from previous month might mean sales level off somewhat.
Wii - Generally consistent, although I can't help but feel that Nintendo are restricting supply ever so slightly to prepare for Xmas, so I'll slightly underestimate
DS - Consistent numbers to continue
The rest - Just cutting a few K off a week, GTA4 delay left a void in October

Is N'Gai wrong about this? Otherwise, RIP NPD threads as we know them.
Beginning with the October sales data, which is due later this month, NPD is going to cut way back on what they share on a monthly basis with their non-paying customers, i.e. media.

What does this mean?

For starters, no more hardware sales data. (Can you taste the bitter tears streaming from various forums and message boards?) Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will of course be free to release their own sales info—and presumably leak that of their competitors, if it'll make them look good—but we will no longer receive that data from NPD. Software sales figures will only be given for the Top Five SKUs, not the Top Ten as we normally receive. We'll eventually receive hardware numbers and Top Ten software numbers, but only on a quarterly and annual basis. There are signs that this may only be a temporary pullback, but for now, this is were things stand.

Bildi

While it's not brilliant news, doing the NPD thing on a quarterly basis wouldn't be so bad - each month seems to roll around awfully fast.

Noooooo!
US Sales threads will start to rival the PAL treads for speculation and mindless conjecture. "Dude, wii is out of stock in Texas..... I hear Wyoming is PS3 crazy this month....Amazon has the GBA at No. 3......Don't forget Alaska....I found this website that is an independent sales tracker and it says *ban*".

Who leaned on NPD?

AniHawk

Since I've been here I've seen the NPD data go from:

Wildly available to privately shared and then made public to "secretly" posted (basically the former but it was after some crackdowns had happened) to partial data to NPD/NeoGAF awesome don't-sue-us deal to top ten and systems to... probably nothing.

If true, fuck NPD, let the gaf leaking begin!

GAF will be a total sellout if we simply agree and take it willingly.us

What's sonycowboy's take on all this?

AniHawk

titiklabingapat said:
If true, fuck NPD, let the gaf leaking begin!

GAF will be a total sellout if we simply agree and take it willingly.us

What's sonycowboy's take on all this?

NPD can take legal action and likely will if the numbers are leaked and nothing is done about it. In short, it doesn't matter what sonycowboy thinks (though I'm sure he'd be cooperative with NPD). If numbers are leaked, it'll be no NeoGAF vs. no sales numbers.

Hammer24

Banned
AniHawk said:
NPD can take legal action and likely will if the numbers are leaked and nothing is done about it. In short, it doesn't matter what sonycowboy thinks (though I'm sure he'd be cooperative with NPD). If numbers are leaked, it'll be no NeoGAF vs. no sales numbers.

On the other hand I fully expect the console manufacturers to leak us the numbers - the race is much too close for them not to brag over every single small "victory" they get.

Top Bottom