• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sept 2008 NPD Results

farnham

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
$200 is Microsoft's ace in the hole for when Nintendo under supplies the Wii for a third Christmas in a row.

I don't think Nintendo does it on purpose, they just don't want to over-supply the system and end up with hundreds of thousands of units sitting in the channel. That would prove that the Wii was merely a
2 year
fad.
so the 360 and the PS3 that cant even sell like a fad are what

a faddier fad?

TheHeretic said:
Poor wording on my part. Best selling game within a time period.
Why is this so important

Its not like Nintendogs, NMB were failures

JoshuaJSlone said:
Perhaps, but I don't think Christmas-based sales will have too big an impact on the October sales numbers.

True, still my opinion is that the sales gap will remain steady or even grow in October, I guess we shall see..

DMeisterJ

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
Well, if he thinks that price is the only thing that stops a console from selling... personally I disagree.

That's what I was saying.

If it was all price, it would have outsold Wii.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Yes, I would go on record that the vast majority of Nintendo system owners are uninformed.

So are the vast majority of owners of... well... um, well, every system with a significant base ever.

FrankT

DMeisterJ said:
Joke post?

:lol

Considering it sold ~1.3 million at retail last year in December alone at a much higher price point uh I would say yours is the joke post. I'll be picking up an Arcade for my nephew at Christmas and I'm sure a many a mother and father will do the same.

Atreides

Weekly sales for DS were 129.6K in August and 107.4K in September. PSP sold weekly 63.5K in August and 47.6K in September. Both Handhelds have quite lower sales, I wonder why.

Is anyone interested in compiling an ELSPA-style sales award list for NPD numbers?

It would help us get a better sense of game milestones and such, at least for the numbers we get. As in for each console, a list of games over

Relix said:
360 has become an impulse buy. You will see it on Xmas

Then its not really an impulse buy. For the non-gamer a PS3 or a 360 is bought for a birthday or Christmas and that's about it, you don't just throw a few hundred dollars down on a whim.

spwolf

no wonder arcades can be found at $160 now... Too bad though, I wish PS3 would get an price drop but after this, we will be lucky with bundled games...

radjago

zallaaa said:
Did Nintendo get the memo about the recession time? Someone should inform them they are not allowed to print money in spite of the industry nowadays :D
Didn't you know that was Nintendo's plan for world domination all along? Print money, devalue the currency, ruin the world's finances, then buy them all out and rule with the iron fist of Iwata.

larvi

I really wish square would release a game without the square tax so we can have an idea how much that impacts sales. Personally I would buy DQ IV but I refuse to pay more than $30 for a DS game so I'm waiting for a drop or to pick it up used, which is what I did with FFTA2. I wonder how many others like myself are out there?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Impulse Buy in the sense that when people go shopping this Xmas they will pick the 360 over a PS3 just for the price difference. Comparing the HD DVD, an addon, to a full blown console is just stupid, its not the same thing at all in people's eyes.

Of course, I am not saying expect Wii-sized sales, but 360 will trump PS3 this Xmas if Sony doesn't do something. Doesn't help that they are seen as the "losers" console in customer's eyes, and no... don't take it as a troll, it's what usually is said around. The year of the PS3 has failed in my eyes, and though they HAD more momentum than 360 it seems it's been stopped cold.

Talamius

Sept '07 may go down as the last time the Wii isn't the top selling home console this generation. If a $199 360 can't beat it out (and it barely got half of the Wii total), nothing's going to.

We could be looking at 2011 before the Wii gets knocked off again.

Gaborn

Talamius said:
Sept '07 may go down as the last time the Wii isn't the top selling home console this generation. If a $199 360 can't beat it out (and it barely got half of the Wii total), nothing's going to.

We could be looking at 2011 before the Wii gets knocked off again.

I actually think that either the 360 or PS3 will beat it FFXIII month (but just for that month), obviously depending on supply of the Wii and distribution between the 360 and the PS3.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Gaborn said:
I actually think that either the 360 or PS3 will beat it FFXIII month (but just for that month), obviously depending on supply of the Wii and distribution between the 360 and the PS3.

If GTA IV didn't do the trick, I don't think FFXIII will either.

Gaborn

John Dunbar said:
If GTA IV didn't do the trick, I don't think FFXIII will either.

Ehhh, i think that GTA IV's audience is a bit less... dedicated... than FFXIII's. I could easily be wrong and I understand why you say that, but the final fantasies are among the Crème de la Crème of the industry, and GTAIV are more the new blood with a large casual base along with a moderate hardcore presence.

Threi

notag
Gaborn said:
Ehhh, i think that GTA IV's audience is a bit less... dedicated... than FFXIII's. I could easily be wrong and I understand why you say that, but the final fantasies are among the Crème de la Crème of the industry, and GTAIV are more the new blood with a large casual base along with a moderate hardcore presence.
Sounds like MGS4

CoG

Relix said:
Impulse Buy in the sense that when people go shopping this Xmas they will pick the 360 over a PS3 just for the price difference. Comparing the HD DVD, an addon, to a full blown console is just stupid, its not the same thing at all in people's eyes.

No, we're talking about full-blown Toshiba HD DVD players (not the add-on) that were going for $199 last Christmas. The HD DVD camp swore up and down that people would be grabbing them on impulse thus turning the HD war in Toshiba's favor and we all know how that turned out.

It's not a 1:1 analogy, but close enough for discussion. It's pretty clear that people are generally not interested in the HD consoles. Even at a $50 premium over the cheapest 360, the Wii sold 2x the 360 and more than both HD consoles combined. You can talk "impulse" all you want, but even at $199 people are not going to buy what they don't want. Especially in today's economy.

Sadist

Final Fantasy XIII won't be as big as everyone thinks, saleswise I mean. Especialy with the game coming to 360.

Gaborn

Threi said:
Sounds like MGS4

That's a closer analogy. I think that you have to figure that.... first, FF is a LONG way away, 2009 for Japan (if it's not delayed) probably fall 2010 for the US (guess obviously). My guess is that by then although the Wii's sales will still be impressive compared to the other consoles Nintendo will at LEAST be able to keep some units on the shelves. I'm a moderately big Nintendo Fan but I'm not going to claim it's still going to be sold out constantly like it is now, even the DS came down off it's high eventually (at least in Japan - I realize we're still kind of waiting in the US).

I also think at that point price will be helping one or both of the other consoles more. It won't outsell the Wii but while the Wii is doing say, 450-500k a month during 2010 I could see the 360 and/or the PS3 pulling 300-350k. That, plus any appreciable bounce... I just see FF being in a position to beat the Wii for that month.

I realize I'm making a good number of assumptions, but I think I kept it relatively reasonable, considering the time frame we're talking about I don't think anything I said was unrealistic.

Sadist

Sage00 said:
That makes no sense whatsoever..
Why? The game is going to sell, maybe MGS 4 level, but nothing more. And I even think the 360 will steal away some of the PS3 sales. That's what I meant.

C.T.

Sadist said:
Why? The game is going to sell, maybe MGS 4 level, but nothing more. And I even think the 360 will steal away some of the PS3 sales. That's what I meant.

What makes no sense is this: FFXIII on two platforms will have worse sells than on ps3 only.

Sadist

C.T. said:
What makes no sense is this: FFXIII on two platforms will have worse sells than on ps3 only.
I never said that. I only said "it won't be as big a everyone thinks it will be". Everybody had to high expectations of GTA IV and MGS 4. They still did terrific, but some people have unrealistic sales expectations from certain games.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
By the way, is it piracy or something else that holds back DS's software sales? Seems a bit crazy that a system that has LTD sales of more than 20 million and still sells 500K a month, but still doesn't have a single piece of software that sold more than 158k.

C.T. said:
What he meant was that FF XIII being on two platforms means that any XIII hardware bump will be split, lessening the chance of one/both being top hardware for the month.

Gaborn

Sadist said:
I never said that. I only said "it won't be as big a everyone thinks it will be". Everybody had to high expectations of GTA IV and MGS 4. They still did terrific, but some people have unrealistic sales expectations from certain games.

The thing people have to remember is we're essentially talking about 2010 here. Do you think that the PS3 AND 360 will both be selling at their current level, and do you think the Wii is going to still be at IT'S current level? I'm not saying we're going to see a fundamental change in the landscape (I'd still say Wii>>>>>>360>>PS3) but I could honestly see one or both of the HD consoles selling respectably, and I fully expect Wii's sales to be beyond solid, but not to SUSTAIN the kind of levels we've seen up to this point. 450-500k, which, in a major major software month is beatable (not easily, but beatable)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
John Dunbar said:
By the way, is it piracy or something else that holds back DS's software sales? Seems a bit crazy that a system that has LTD sales of more than 20 million and still sells 500K a month, but still doesn't have a single piece of software that sold more than 158k.

No, especially since a Top ten isnt representative of much.

Top Bottom