• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono: Street Fighter 5 trying to attract more young players, have excellent netcode

The game is 10% complete at the moment of this video. Everything can change at a moments notice. 2nd, v-trigger affects everyone differently. Which was stated by Ono. So sorry you are incorrect. Thirdly, this is a theory craft video. At one point I thought gaurd crush was in the game but it's not. It's just an affect that Ryu's v-trigger does and that can be different by the time the game is finished.
I get what you're saying, but it's also really hard for me to pretend that I don't see a cancel w/ the v-trigger state, when that clearly looks like a cancel by going into v-trigger state. The game's got a ways to go but I'd figure the main game mechanics are set in stone. They have to be, for the amount of work that goes into balancing the characters and not to mention doing the character models, stage designs, music etc.

Yes it's known v-trigger works differently per-character but it's not too hard to imagine that they could have at least one trait in common among all characters. That's the point of those videos anyway; to discern what's there and what could be there, and how they might work. Especially if they're done by a pro player (like that vid was), they're maybe at least somewhere on the right path.

obviously by young players, he meant kid fighter, character that kids can relate to. :p
Kids have no place in SF. Leave that stuff in GG (not knocking GG, I love that series. But I don't want to see Ryu get his ass kicked by a 12-year old lolita).

Ensoul

Not sure how they can get younger players interested to he honest. It's not like players online play to have fun, they play to win so people will just use the same fighters over and over again just to win.

What is going to happen is these young players are going to absolutely wrecked playing online and stop playing.

Happened to me as well and I have been playing street fighter forever. Got old having people turtle or just use Ken and ryu the whole time.

Skilletor

It's not a black and white flowchart like this. All of these elements can affect each other.

as for footsies, it's all about space control, with timing playing into it regarding punishing whiffed moves. it's not execution based though, no one needs to practice their execution on a low forward.

Yeah, this.

Footsies is knowledge and spacing. I don't think it has anything to do with execution. Daigo could probably beat me doing nothing but pokes. I don't consider that execution.

Not sure how they can get younger players interested to he honest. It's not like players online play to have fun, they play to win so people will just use the same fighters over and over again just to win.

What is going to happen is these young players are going to absolutely wrecked playing online and stop playing.

Happened to me as well and I have been playing street fighter forever. Got old having people turtle or just use Ken and ryu the whole time.

Define this "fun" for me, since apparently playing to win isn't "fun." If winning isn't "fun," shouldn't these young players have tons of fun losing? Your post reads like somebody bitter they can't beat scrubby ken and ryus.

Edit: lol, yeah. Didn't see the last line.

Make the controls more accessible to new players using default controllers.

evo2014-luffy.jpg

LakeEarth

With a good connection, otherwise your characters are warping all over the place and you're never sure what's going on.

And you get the KO, but it rolls back to say he blocked, so the match keeps going. One time on 3rd Strike, I went to chip out someone with Remy's 1st super (the one where he throws 8-9 booms at you). My opponent parried it, but due to the slight lag, the game kept counting it as a KO for half a second before registering the parry. So it went, with the superflash 'boom' sound, KO KO KO KO KO KO KO!!!

Unfortunately, the replay just look like everything was normal.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Of course they want to attract young players! In with the new, out with the old. Whatever happened to "we want to make the best Street Fighter yet"?

Want to attract more young players? Just put it in first person mode and have Ryu punch trees.

I have a feeling it will not be as popular as Street Fighter IV, and that was already made to be more accessible.
I prefer Third Strike though.

I'm confused! Is this game being funded by SCE or is it a moneyhat? It doesn't matter to me either way since I have a PS4, but the details keep changing regarding the development of the game.
These are the things we know.

1. Ono approached Sony about making the game exclusive.
  2. Sony are "assisting with development."
  3. Ono is happy because their "partnership with Sony will result in SFV having cross-platform play."

I get what you're saying, but it's also really hard for me to pretend that I don't see a cancel w/ the v-trigger state, when that clearly looks like a cancel by going into v-trigger state. The game's got a ways to go but I'd figure the main game mechanics are set in stone. They have to be, for the amount of work that goes into balancing the characters and not to mention doing the character models, stage designs, music etc.

Yes it's known v-trigger works differently per-character but it's not too hard to imagine that they could have at least one trait in common among all characters. That's the point of those videos anyway; to discern what's there and what could be there, and how they might work. Especially if they're done by a pro player (like that vid was), they're maybe at least somewhere on the right path.

Its fine to speculate but thats all it is at the moment.

Ensoul

Yeah, this.

Footsies is knowledge and spacing. I don't think it has anything to do with execution. Daigo could probably beat me doing nothing but pokes. I don't consider that execution.

Define this "fun" for me, since apparently playing to win isn't "fun." If winning isn't "fun," shouldn't these young players have tons of fun losing? Your post reads like somebody bitter they can't beat scrubby ken and ryus.

Edit: lol, yeah. Didn't see the last line.

When I played this years ago against my friends and brother we used to always pick different fighters after every match. It was enjoyable for me.

I played street fighter anniversary for the Xbox years ago and did well. I was in the top 5 or 10 overall and beat the top ranked person a few times as well. Problem was even though I was winning I was not really having fun playing people that just turtle or just use the same fighters over and over. Winning does not necessarily mean having fun.

Good for Capcom for trying to get new blood into the franchise but since this game has been out so long new players are going to have a rough time competing.

Skilletor

When I played this years ago against my friends and brother we used to always pick different fighters after every match. It was enjoyable for me.

I played street fighter anniversary for the Xbox years ago and did well. I was in the top 5 or 10 overall and beat the top ranked person a few times as well. Problem was even though I was winning I was not really having fun playing people that just turtle or just use the same fighters over and over. Winning does not necessarily mean having fun.

Good for Capcom for trying to get new blood into the franchise but since this game has been out so long new players are going to have a rough time competing.

For you. For others, absolutely it does. Fun isn't some blanket thing that applies to everybody. Ryu and Ken are staple characters. It makes sense that there are lots of people using them. I run into a ton of Sol and Kys in Guilty Gear. A ton of Yus in Persona. I run into a lot of Hayabusas in Dead or Alive. I run into a ton of Mitsurugis and Kiliks in SoulCalibur.

I don't bother using different characters because I don't like them. I find characters I like, and I play them. That's fun for me.

But yeah, new players will for sure have a tough time competing. That's true of any fighting game.

roknin

We'll see. The fact he's citing SFxT's netcode is encouraging, so long as they don't repeat the same mistakes they did on SFxT's initial release (which I don't think they even can).

is the netcode in SxT noticeably better than SF4

Yes, very much so.... not that the bar is really high to begin with though, I've always felt SF4's notched was pretty atrocious.

Of course if you have a bad connection, it doesn't matter if the dev puts in the best netcode ever created in the history of the Earth... it'll suck. And - at least in the US - a very small number of people have a good connection to begin with (sadly, myself not included, my ISP is ass in my current place).

In regards to rollback, that's part of what gave SFxT its bad rap - rollback can be really bad in bad connections, whereas bad connections will still "look" stable in SF4 despite getting like 4 seconds of input lag. Overall though, SFxT's online, on a good connection, is really good and the closest to feeling "offline" I've played, sans SCV and BB.

That said... SFxT PC's netcode is hot fucking garbage that Capcom should forever be ashamed of. Hell, Spectator mode is completely broken and almost always desyncs, for example, and they've no plans to do anything about it, amongst other things.

Skilletor

We'll see. The fact he's citing SFxT's netcode is encouraging, so long as they don't repeat the same mistakes they did on SFxT's initial release (which I don't think they even can).

Yes, very much so.... not that the bar is really high to begin with though, I've always felt SF4's notched was pretty atrocious.

Of course if you have a bad connection, it doesn't matter if the dev puts in the best netcode ever created in the history of the Earth... it'll suck. And - at least in the US - a very small number of people have a good connection to begin with (sadly, myself not included, my ISP is ass in my current place).

In regards to rollback, that's part of what gave SFxT its bad rap - rollback can be really bad in bad connections, whereas bad connections will still "look" stable in SF4 despite getting like 4 seconds of input lag. Overall though, SFxT's online, on a good connection, is really good and the closest to feeling "offline" I've played, sans SCV and BB.

That said... SFxT PC's netcode is hot fucking garbage that Capcom should forever be ashamed of. Hell, Spectator mode is completely broken and almost always desyncs, for example, and they've no plans to do anything about it, amongst other things.

PC SFxT doesn't even have all of the dlc. :(

Skilletor

"Your blanket statement is wrong, submit to my superior blanket statement because I say so."

What?

I'm saying "Playing to win" isn't fun for everybody. It is fun for some people.

Fun is different for everybody. Playing Ryu a million matches and turtling might be fun for that person, but obviously isn't for the guy complaining about running into a million turtling Ryus.

So...what are you saying to me? lol

Exactly how do you teach someone how to play competitive Street Fighter without having them actually play someone? This is a serious question, as I haven't the slightest idea. I suppose they could teach link timing and some aspects of zoning, but all of that goes out the window when you face an actual human opponent that is adapting to you. For instance, they could teach you how to ALWAYS hold a charge when playing Guile(example), but how do they teach you to counteract the fact that a competent human will actively attempt to break your charge times in a deceptive way?

I just want an understanding of what it is everyone expects. Killer Instinct has an awesome training mode, but it's only really useful to those who understand fighting mechanics. I believe, anyway. How do they go about actually teaching you without some sort of online support group?

Razzorn34

Exactly how do you teach someone how to play competitive Street Fighter without having them actually play someone? This is a serious question, as I haven't the slightest idea. I suppose they could teach link timing and some aspects of zoning, but all of that goes out the window when you face an actual human opponent that is adapting to you. For instance, they could teach you how to ALWAYS hold a charge when playing Guile(example), but how do they teach you to counteract the fact that a competent human will actively attempt to break your charge times in a deceptive way?

I just want an understanding of what it is everyone expects. Killer Instinct has an awesome training mode, but it's only really useful to those who understand fighting mechanics. I believe, anyway. How do they go about actually teaching you without some sort of online support group?

Guilty Gear Xrd's Mission Mode made big strides in this area. Better than what I've seen from anyone else so far.

Skilletor

Just seemed like you were making a blanket statement there, sorry if I misread it.

I mean, I guess I am. "Fun is different for everybody," is a blanket statement. But I'd guess it's a truer one than "It's not like players online play to have fun, they play to win so people will just use the same fighters over and over again just to win"

roknin

Well Link timing won't change at all, that's more muscle memory than anything. So teaching players about that in a tutorial/mission mode manner shouldn't be too bad.

I think where FG tutorials can improve, is explaining WHY things work or don't work, and talking more about strategies than just giving a flat explanation of how to do things. IIRC Skullgirls was pretty good about this (though I can't recall all of it, its been a long while since I played), as was BB's "Teach me" mode (again, been a long time since I played it).

But largely I agree, at the end of the day there's only so much one can learn on their own even with an excellent tutorial. There's no way to really learn without another human player involved. The most FG tutorials can do is explain the how and why better, but the problem IMO is that a lot of FGs don't even try that.

imnotdarrell

Neo Member
Okay... im starting to imagine the 3ds version with 1 button specials. Lol.

*forward with guile* FLASH KICK *walks forward again* SONIC BOOM

petghost

Banned
Yet sf2 series were it was simple is arguably the best era

All I'm saying is go play a t hawk who can do that negative edge option select with an spd with no whiff animation and covers all options on wake-up leading to certain death and tell me those games are simple... Maybe at a low level the games are simple and there are def less mechanics but tech and execution were always a part of the genre.

blackadde

the game needs to explain how it works in a digestible way. your goal is to get people in to the driver's seat and comfortable with a couple tools at a time before they worry about things like combos, okizeme, wakeup options, etc. the game needs to teach your character's /gameplan/ more than it's specific mechanics.

here's an example using ryu -

throw fireballs when you're really far away. if he jumps at you, uppercut or crouch fierce, because these two will beat almost any air attack. if you find that your opponent keeps jumping over your fireball, think about varying your timing, because he has to guess whether it's coming or not before he commits to the jump. if you're just within range of crouching medium kick you should press that button because it's really good. up close you can jab or throw, because those are your fastest options. if your opponent makes a mistake and you're in range, you should do fierce cancelled into uppercut to do a lot of damage.

you aren't going to win evo with this kind of advice but now you're at least given something to think about - these are my real pokes, don't worry about the other buttons yet. at these ranges i have these options that usually work out pretty well. now i have a framework to at least hang things off of and more likely than not beat my friends who are also new to fighting games. i don't think it takes much imagination to see how capcom could create a tutorial to teach this to a new player in under 5 minutes.

She's 16 in Alpha/Zero.

Probably 15 in Rival Schools?

Either way, she's the "kid" character for Street Fighter.

Yeah but she looks like a teenager/young adult, especially in IV (I guess she's in her early 20s there? Dunno).

I have a hard enough problem w/ a character like Karin because she just doesn't even look the part of a fighter, but if it were between her and some Naruto Part 1 knockoff (you know, to appeal to "deh kidz", talking extremes here), I'd much rather take her, and Sakura over both.

When would a 12-year old even have the time to become a deadly martial artist? Seriously?

Yeah, I think this is very important. They need to have a lot of meat to the single player. And not just the story mode. They need something like the Challenge Tower as well. It can't just be a game that's built around playing against others.

yea the story modes in the MK games are awesome. Street Fighter really needs that.

Top Bottom