• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2016 |OT| 5:30am PT Thur Jan 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Inarritu just won the DGA.

Not gonna pretend I'm particularly happy about it, but yeah. Miller is out of the race and it's gonna between Inarritu and McKay. I'm rooting for the latter obviously. :p

Not gonna pretend I'm particularly happy about it, but yeah. Miller is out of the race and it's gonna between Inarritu and McKay. I'm rooting for the latter obviously. :p
Oh man, what a boomer. Sure, because of all people, the one that really needs a fourth Oscar is Alejandro Iñarritu. Gee.

I'm rooting for McKay at the Oscars.

I just noticed Inarritu is the first person to ever win two DGA awards in a row. I didn't think it was possible, but it does seem like the Academy will award the same director two years in a row for the first time in half a century. I wonder now if The Revenant is just gonna body everyone in the tech awards, basically winning all the same awards Gravity did.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

I think action movie directors should give up. I dont know why but for some reason the judges for these award shows are not appreciative of the skill required to direct a well made movie in the action genre. Same with horror.

jett

D-Member
This is the most interesting award season in ages. It's a complete crapshoot at this point. I'm betting it all on Revenant.

I just noticed Inarritu is the first person to ever win two DGA awards in a row. I didn't think it was possible, but it does seem like the Academy will award the same director two years in a row for the first time in half a century. I wonder now if The Revenant is just gonna body everyone in the tech awards, basically winning all the same awards Gravity did.

If The Revenant wins best picture it would also be the the first time ever for one director to win it two years in a row.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think Bryan Cranston might just sneak in and win best actor you know. He's almost gone unnoticed because nobody has really seen Trumbo but it's got everything the academy like.

Ridley327

I wonder if Ridley Scott being in the DGA nominee list hurt Miller inadvertently by splitting votes for the "long overdue" vote. Not that I don't think that Iñarritu is the frontrunner at this point, but the lack of Scott at the Oscars does keep things more interesting.

This is the wildest Oscar race I have ever seen, there's 3 movies with pretty much equal chances of winning it. Which makes me wonder if something bizarre is going to happen and they're going to award the best movie for once. Which would be Room, Room is a motherfucking masterpiece.

My opinion soured on Revenant. I think it's a movie that tries different things and looks amazing, but doesn't do anything too well other than that. It's gorgeous looking film but other than that I'm not seeing why I'm supposed to be so hyped about it, maybe I'm stupid.

This is the wildest Oscar race I have ever seen, there's 3 movies with pretty much equal chances of winning it. Which makes me wonder if something bizarre is going to happen and they're going to award the best movie for once. Which would be Room, Room is a motherfucking masterpiece.

My opinion soured on Revenant. I think it's a movie that tries different things and looks amazing, but doesn't do anything too well other than that. It's gorgeous looking film but other than that I'm not seeing why I'm supposed to be so hyped about it, maybe I'm stupid.

no, absolutely agreed with you. Looks nice but is the epitome of pretension.

no, absolutely agreed with you. Looks nice but is the epitome of pretension.

Yeah, I have this feeling it aimed at a collective epiphany of sorts it just doesn't deliver. And the buildup kind of sucks, by the end of it I was rooting for enough time to have passed and those bear cubs to now be old enough to come and kill everyone.

There were some great bits here and there, but this movie is really about Leo DiCaprio sleeping everywhere while being cold as fuck and a bit chewed up. I don't see it. If someone like Neill Blomkamp directed it I'm sure we would be talking about how he might never deliver another District 9.

That movie affected me emotionally more than any film all year. I'm a big softie though but damn Larson and Tremblay were great. Brie needs to win Best Actress, she was so good.

Agreed. Room is not winning BP (it should), so they better not rob Brie.

Toothless

That movie affected me emotionally more than any film all year. I'm a big softie though but damn Larson and Tremblay were great. Brie needs to win Best Actress, she was so good.

I wonder how Leo feels that he's stealing an Oscar from a nine-year-old boy.

Everyone watching the big three won't even notice when Furiosa rolls that War Rig straight down the center and snatches up ALL THE OSCAR GOLD.

That is what I want to happen. I don't think it will, but it will be awesome if it does. Mad Max coming out of the wasteland like a force of nature.

Blader

Given how the precursor awards usually shake out, looks like the Academy is going to split Best Picture and Director again this year. Funny how this has become more of a trend the last few years.

jett

D-Member
Leo definitely does not deserve to win for Revenant. I can understand the Oscars making it up to him, but why is he winning at every other awards show too? I'd definitely put Fassbender over him.

Toothless

Given how the precursor awards usually shake out, looks like the Academy is going to split Best Picture and Director again this year. Funny how this has become more of a trend the last few years.

And yet, the year where it seemed most necessary, they gave three awards to Inarritu.

Ridley327

Slight little update: WGA awards were handed out, with the big film winners being Spotlight winning for original and The Big Short winning for adapted. These have been the frontrunners in their respective categories for a bit now, so these are safe bets come the 28th.

Also, while it doesn't have much bearing on anything that goes on with the Oscars, The Revenant did pick up the awards for best film, director and actor at the BAFTAs.

kaskade

I really need to see Room. I just watched Brooklyn and it was extremely well done. Saoirse was great in it.

The Revenant was great but I really don't think it should win best picture. I'm rooting for Mad Max even though it's probably an impossible win.

Leo definitely does not deserve to win for Revenant. I can understand the Oscars making it up to him, but why is he winning at every other awards show too? I'd definitely put Fassbender over him.

I'm with you man. They're just giving it for this because they feel he's overdue

It's not the first time they've done it...or the 8th or however many

Was pulling for fassbender since I saw jobs but that movie came out with a whimper

UberTag

Suppose this is the thread to post my finalized Oscar predictions... I may revisit some of these on Sunday before the festivities kick off but I don't anticipate making any changes.

Best Picture - The Revenant - blech
Directing - Alejandro G. Iñárritu (The Revenant) - double blech
Actor in a Leading Role - Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant) - congrats on finally winning for all those other performances that were snubbed
Actress in a Leading Role - Brie Larson (Room) - Jacob Tremblay was better
Actor in a Supporting Role - Sylvester Stallone (Creed) - winner of 10 Razzie awards
Actress in a Supporting Role - Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) - pre-emptive fuck you in advance to Kate Winslet if she upsets

Film Editing - Margaret Sixel (Mad Max: Fury Road) - well deserved
Cinematography - Emmanuel Lubezki (The Revenant) - three-time champion, we are not worthy
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - Charles Randolph & Adam McKay (The Big Short) - token award for Best Picture front-runner
Writing (Original Screenplay) - Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy (Spotlight) - token award #2 for Best Picture front-runner which I'm happy to say I called WAY back in September

For those of you who enjoy watching old-fashioned newsroom procedurals, I can say that Spotlight more than delivers. This is poised to be the annual flick that racks up a host of Oscar noms, wins an award for Screenplay and calls it a day.
Animated Feature Film - Inside Out
Foreign Language Film - Son of Saul - the rare foreign film awards juggernaut that deserves to be sought out and seen by everyone
Documentary (Feature) - Amy

Costume Design - Jenny Beavan (Mad Max: Fury Road) - momentum has shifted this way but I'm not completely convinced Sandy Powell's double nomination has sunk her chances
Makeup and Hairstyling - Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega & Damian Martin (Mad Max: Fury Road)
Production Design - Colin Gibson & Lisa Thompson (Mad Max: Fury Road)
Sound Editing - Martin Hernandez & Lon Bender (The Revenant) - riding the BAFTA and CAS Sound Mixing guild momentum in these next two categories
Sound Mixing - Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom & Chris Duesterdiek (The Revenant)
Visual Effects - Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan & Chris Corbould (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) - if The Revenant wins here, it's going to be a long night

Music (Original Score) - Ennio Morricone (The Hateful Eight) - long overdue
Music (Original Song) - Lady Gaga for some song nobody listened to from some film nobody watched... please tune in and watch the Oscars on Sunday for Lady Gaga

Short Film (Animated) - Bear Story
Short Film (Live Action) - Stutterer
Documentary (Short Subject) - Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah

FINAL OSCAR PREDICTION TALLY

The Revenant - 6
Mad Max: Fury Road - 4
Everyone Else Gets One Award for Being Awesome
Black People - 0

Toothless

My predicts go:

Picture: The Big Short - I'm going down with this ship because it'd be nice that in a world where seven nominees are actually good movies, the Academy doesn't give it to the only meh one.
Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, The Revenant
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Actress: Brie Larson, Room
Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone, Creed
Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Original Screenplay: Spotlight
Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short
Cinematography: The Revenant
Costume Design: Cinderella
Film Editing: The Big Short
Makeup and Hairstyling: The Revenant
Production Design: Mad Max: Fury Road
Score: The Hateful Eight
Song: "Til It Happens to You," The Hunting Ground
Sound Editing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Sound Mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road
Visual Effects: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Animated Feature: Inside Out
Documentary Feature: Amy
Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul
Animated Short: Sanjay's Super Team
Documentary Short: Body Team 12
Live Action Short: Ave Maria

4: The Revenant
3: The Big Short, Mad Max: Fury Road
Everyone else gets one except for Anomalisa, Brooklyn, and Carol. :(

UberTag

My predicts go:

Picture: The Big Short - I'm going down with this ship because it'd be nice that in a world where seven nominees are actually good movies, the Academy doesn't give it to the only meh one.
Film Editing: The Big Short
The editing award is the big one if you're pulling for a Big Short upset.
I can't envision any scenario where Big Short pulls out the Best Picture win without nabbing Editing away from Mad Max as well.

UberTag

Would The Big Short winning BP really be an upset? It won at PGA, which is the best Oscar predictor no?
It would be an upset considering that The Revenant is the favorite.

It wouldn't be a big upset, however... you're right that the PGAs have been in sync with the Academy since 2006.
That puts The Big Short clearly in the #2 slot and ahead of Spotlight and Mad Max: Fury Road as potential winners.

I can't help but applaud Toothless for sticking to his guns on this one.

UberTag

He said he wasn't gonna feed me too much crow.

But I'm gonna eat my share anyway.
For some perspective, Toothless went to bat for Boyhood last year while I stuck with Birdman and prevailed.
I honestly hope this is his redemption year and I'm the one seeing egg on my face because I am by no means a Revenant fan.

Potentially stupid question but do the Oscars themselves get streamed like the nominations were?

Nah, the networks haven't really gotten to that point yet.

I mean, you'll be able to find a stream, but it likely won't be an official one.

edit: I'm sure they'll have some sort of official stream behind a paywall somewhere, though.

I'm not sure how I'll cope with Fury Road losing Best Editing to Big Short

or McKay winning Best Director, for a movie that doesn't look like it was directed by anyone for large sections of time

Ridley327

Am I too late for the Leo best Actor hype train? I can feel it, this is the year.
Believe.

It's hard for anyone to get on that train when it's already arrived at the station. I think the only acting category with any kind of uncertainty at this point is Supporting Actress.

Christ I hope Big Short wins. Anything but The Revenant.
I'm happy with either Big Short (my favorite of the year), Spotlight or Mad Max (I love The Martian but I know it has no chance) Fuck The Revenant, for real. To hell and back.

I think I might cry if Stallone wins this thing.

Ridley327

I think Supporting Actor could still be a toss-up.

I dunno, pretty much every Oscar ballot that's been revealed has handed it to Sly. I think he's way too much of a sentimental favorite and the chances of him being up for any kind of acting award again are slim enough that it gives him a "now or never" edge no one else could claim. It's a category stacked with heavyweights, but everyone but Sly is still going to have chances in the future.

Roo

I like Leo but (imho) he doesn't deserve an Oscar for his Revenant role.
I think Eddie Redmayne had a better overall performance with The Danish Girl.
Fassbender is a strong candidate as well but I'd definitely go with Eddie for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom