• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| topics will now go live on game launch date

Rich!

It doesn't seem like there's enough coordination for it to work.

Not having anywhere to discuss Bayonetta 2 for two days is bad.

Hip Hop

They don't allow hype threads as well.

awful idea overall.

Yeah,

I retrach my statement from earlier that this was a good thing.

The fun of it was sharing with others what we are looking forward to before a game is out. Now that is dead.

kiryogi

Banned
Came out in Europe a month earlier. This does seem like a conundrum too for regional gaps. Means someone needs to a OT ready by the first release be it Japan/Europe/NA etc.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This isn't working. 24h lead time should be the minimum.

Right now this change is making a bigger mess and causing more confusion than a prerelease OT would ever cause.

weekev

Banned
Will it risk a ban to start talking Bayonetta in here? Amazon just dispatched my copy (along with Just Dance 2015 which im actually pretty hyped to dance Frozen with my 5 year old daughter, please dont judge but i cant talk about that either cos y'know no OT)

fernoca

Yeah...not working as expected.

At least allow "hype threads" to be created a week before release to discuss everything, then close them the moment an OT goes live.

Some of the recent changes are good, but end been weird in some instances. Like "new threads for new news". It works for general news, but is it really needed a new thread for every 3DS or Vita theme that is released? One "big thread" to discuss the announcements, and a main post with a list of them, download links and a date is more efficient, and better for those not up to date that might've missed a theme or two.

Robin64

Yep. I have Bayonetta 2 and have to discuss it with other people in the review thread? Or maybe the Europe CE thread? Seems especially silly.

There should probably just be pre-release threads separate from OTs for games, otherwise you're pretty much going to constantly see what happened in the review thread.

FerranMG

I also don't like this new rule.
Either allow OT to go live at least one day before release, or allow hype threads.
All in all, OT going live one week before release date was fine for me.

It was a good, well-intentioned idea in theory but it has thus far spectacularly failed in practice. There's literally nowhere on the forum to discuss Bayonetta 2 which is a high-profile release and much-loved franchise that has enjoyed a cult following specifically on this forum for years. It just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the forum to deny people the ability to talk about it because of a stringently enforced new rule that hasn't even been sufficiently tested and approved just yet.

I think the fact that we're facing issues now so early after the the rule has been introduced and enforced speaks volumes.

Solution? A 48-hour buffer window. That or allow hype threads. Or just reverse the rule completely?

only place to discuss Sunset Overdrive is that horrid the videogamer 'bad review' thread

Bayonetta 2 dscussion is running rampant in the EU special edition thread

literally no Master Chief Collection threads-so we just exponentiate the new ign preview vid. threads

"bring back hype threads" gets a vote from me-

Rich!

So, I forgot I had Bayonetta 2 ordered on shopto and its just appeared in the post.

I have nowhere to discuss it. I have the game right here, and I can't talk about it anywhere.

What happens when this occurs with bigger, higher profile releases? People are going to look for a discussion thread, not find one, and make a new one instead. And it will happen.

So, I forgot I had Bayonetta 2 ordered on shopto and its just appeared in the post.

I have nowhere to discuss it. I have the game right here, and I can't talk about it anywhere.

I think the mods are aware of what's going on but they need time to generate a solution and decide their appropriate next course of action. They're obviously going to be intently monitoring the negative evolution to the forum that this experimental new rule has caused and recognise the fault and then of course hopefully alleviate the issue with an acceptable compromise that improves the site. Hopefully one of the mods will chime in here eventually and provide us with an update soon.

Personally I'm hoping the rule is completely reversed and hype threads are restored.

It's surprising how poorly thought out this was, people are just taking game talk to packaging threads. Not having a place to talk about a game prior to the midnight of release is rather silly. Can understand the thoughts behind the change given some of the feedback loops in the Evil Within thread prior to launch but just eliminating most pre-release discussion is terrible. Gaf doesn't have dedicated sections for games so OTs fulfilled that purpose.

freddy

Banned
Well it is working in one way. People can't feel unwelcome talking about Bayonetta 2 when they have minority opinions, if there's nowhere to talk about it. I know it was said this isn't a punishment but it looks like one right now especially with mods closing off discussion.

What happens when this occurs with bigger, higher profile releases? People are going to look for a discussion thread, not find one, and make a new one instead. And it will happen.
Or they'll find another forum to talk about it.

Rich!

It's surprising how poorly thought out this was, people are just taking game talk to packaging threads. Not having a place to talk about a game is rather silly.

And like I said before, what about the hundreds of members who dont know about the rule? They will get their new game early, which here in the UK with shopto and the like is guaranteed, go onto GAF and not find a discussion thread.

What do they do? They will open a new thread.

This is not going to work.

Joqu

Yeah it's not working out at all. People called it too.

We had to wait for hours with Korra, Bayo's out early and these things have always happened. At least give us a day beforehand for OTs, if a game leaks a week beforehand that's thread worthy, a day isn't. Where is everyone supposed to discuss things?

OwlyKnees

Likewise, I received Bayonneta 2 this morning. Should I go and discuss the opening levels in the First Print Edition thread? Seems quite inappropriate. There are much better solutions being presented. Let's hope that they are listened to.

On release day is too late imho. Give us 1 or 2 days in advance at least.

To be honest I think that one week was the perfect timeframe. That was generally the time period where everyone would be excited and enthusiastic about talking about a game. Not too early and certainly not too late. Shifting the timeframe to release day creates this deadzone prior to the game's release where it's going to be impossible for anyone to safely and securely talk about a game in a controlled and dedicated space. People are going to hit the forum, probably be unaware of this rule and then just be confused and frustrated as to why they're not allowed to talk about a hyped upcoming game anywhere on the site. Even 24 hours, or 48 hours still creates this pre-release frustration deadzone.

As I stated before it just seems to go against the spirit of the forum.

In addition, thanks to our "new threads for new news" approach, big games tend to have quite a few active threads immediately pre-release, so having the same types of pre-release discussions happen in the |OT| for a week is somewhat redundant

Well the first big game since this policy, Bayonetta 2 is coming out tomorrow and there are no new threads for new news to discuss/get hyped for the game as far as I can see. I wondered why it was so silent about Bayo until I saw this thread.

Forkball

#saveplatinum

Good intentions, poor execution. There have been several incidents this week where a game came out and people had nowhere to talk about it. Games get out early all the time. Hell, Smash 3DS came out on a Saturday in Japan and GAFfers had copies on Wednesday. That's three whole days!

This is only going to get worse if this rule sticks. People are going to bump random threads just to talk about a game. Watch as MGS V gets out early and people post impressions in a two month old thread titled "New MGS T shirts on sale."

You may say "but the majority will get it in the afternoon on launch day." Maybe true, but what about those that don't? Are they supposed to wait? And even those who pick up the game at 7 PM on launch still would like to read impressions from people who got the game before them.

I nominate 72 hours before 12:01 launch date for the earliest time a thread goes up. This will stop OTs from hitting OT2 before launch and give people who have the game an outlet to discuss it and those who don't an access point for information.

You may disagree with some of my points, but has this rule really accomplished what it set out to do and is the board a better place? I can't imagine someone thinking "yes."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This isn't working. 24h lead time should be the minimum.

Right now this change is making a bigger mess and causing more confusion than a prerelease OT would ever cause.

I think you need continuity. A hard rule will always hit issues.

I have no problem with the OT being release day, but then if a review thread appears earlier, it should be allowed to stay open until that OT goes up.

It is one thing to not start full discussion until release, but it is another thing to start discussion because of reviews, then suddenly put the brakes on.

the main aim (I think) was to have the OT start with clear discussion of the game rather than have 15 pages of random hype. That would still work if you left a review/hype thread open until release day, then closed it when the OT goes up

My personal preference would be to just keep it at 7 days, but make it mandatory for OP creators to update the first line of an OP to link to the page in the thread which is at release date. So if people coming into the thread on release can just click that link and go straight to the correct position and ignore any pre-release discussion if they wish.

Radec

November is gonna be a clusterfuck with the amount of high profile games being released if this rule still in effect.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is an awful idea. In the past 7 days, over 7 fucking threads of Lords of the Fallen has been created. It's a pain in the ass to constantly be forced to use the search engine -> Lords of the Fallen -> every 10 minutes to see which thread's been bumped this time around. It's 5 days until the game is being released, at this point there would've been an OT and all the info would've been in the thread instead of being scattered all over the place.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I hated the change when this was announced, but today? I despise it.

gxT5PG3.png

owlbeak

In theory, not a bad idea, but this is playing out terribly. As others have said, it's just cluttering the forum with multiple threads about various games that could all be consolidated in one place.

Was anyone actually complaining about OTs a week ahead of a game's release? That seemed fine. Why fix something that's not broke?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is an awful idea. In the past 7 days, over 7 fucking threads of Lords of the Fallen has been created. It's a pain in the ass to constantly be forced to use the search engine -> Lords of the Fallen -> every 10 minutes to see which thread's been bumped this time around. It's 5 days until the game is being released, at this point there would've been an OT and all the info would've been in the thread instead of being scattered all over the place.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I hated the change when this was announced, but today? I despise it.

gxT5PG3.png

given your record of blowing a mega hype gasket about pretty much everything you're excited for, and given that part of what we're trying to do with this change is to spammy low-content pre-release HYPE posts, do you think it is more likely that we read this feedback as positive or negative?

Hasney

Midnight of release day is at least 9-12 hours before most people will get the game, unless it's available at midnight on download services, in which case there will be a small bit of leeway. But a full 24 hours before release is unlikely.

I think today has shown this to not really be the case. The OT for Bayo 2 went live at midnight in Australia and even then, people were already talking about playing the game because they had it delivered before then. It was just over multiple threads and not concentrated at all. It's been difficult to keep up with.

EDIT: Seeing yoshichans example above, I don't argue that they should go back to how they were! That looks perfectly fine.

Aeana

I think today has shown this to not really be the case. The OT went live at midnight in Australia and even then, people were already talking about playing the game because they had it delivered before then. It was just over multiple threads and not concentrated at all.
What game are you talking about?
Also, I think that people would find that our enforcing of this rule is a bit more flexible than they think. For instance, nobody would have been upset if the Bayonetta 2 OT were created last night. We have always been flexible about OT creation, and this rule doesn't change that. It's just that the general window has been reduced from one week to the day of, give or take a reasonable amount of time. A full day ahead of when it releases in any territory may be a bit much, but within that window is fine. We invite people to use their discretion. The worst that can happen is that your thread is locked until an appropriate time.

Hasney

What game are you talking about?
Also, I think that people would find that our enforcing of this rule is a bit more flexible than they think. For instance, nobody would have been upset if the Bayonetta 2 OT were created last night. We have always been flexible about OT creation, and this rule doesn't change that. It's just that the general window has been reduced from one week to the day of, give or take a reasonable amount of time. A full day ahead of when it releases in any territory may be a bit much, but within that window is fine. We invite people to use their discretion. The worst that can happen is that your thread is locked until an appropriate time.

Yeah, it was Bayo 2, I was still editing it. Thanks for the clarification though, that's awesome and as long as that message gets out to the OT creators, that's fantastic news. Will make the change work much better. I was finding it awkward getting impressions of both Bayonetta 2 and Korra when people already had them!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
given your record of blowing a mega hype gasket about pretty much everything you're excited for, and given that part of what we're trying to do with this change is to spammy low-content pre-release HYPE posts, do you think it is more likely that we read this feedback as positive or negative?
I don't care if my post is being treated as positive or negative feedback; the only thing I'm certain of is that I love structure. GAF has always been a place where even the craziest hype has been maintained within structure - in this particular case - within |OT|s.

Right now, I truly do feel that none of the structure exists. I'm seeing multiple threads of different games showing up. Mind you, I love the 'new info -> new thread'-policy, but this current issue isn't even a case of that. I just hate the fact that I need to toggle through five different threads for the same game because people can't decide which thread to use.
EDIT: Seeing yoshichans example above, I don't argue that they should go back to how they were! That looks perfectly fine.
My picture looks structured and clean because that's what it looks like when I search specifically for the title in the search bar. It doesn't actually look like that when browsing the forums, obviously.

Aeana

I don't care if my post is being treated as positive or negative feedback; the only thing I'm certain of is that I love structure. GAF has always been a place where even the craziest hype has been maintained within structure - in this particular case - within |OT|s.

Right now, I truly do feel that none of the structure exists. I'm seeing multiple threads of different games showing up. Mind you, I love the 'new info -> new thread'-policy, but this current issue isn't even a case of that. I just hate the fact that I need to toggle through five different threads for the same game because people can't decide which thread to use.
People should use whatever thread is relevant to what they're posting about.
You seem to be complaining that there's no place to get super hyped up, and I thought we'd already made it clear that we actually wanted to cut down on that.

Megatron

This. I hope the mods see that it's not working and extend this to 48 hours before release. Would be much more helpful.

No, I really like that I can click on an OT, start reading the first page and see actual hands on impressions. I dont have to try jumping 5 pages at a time to get to the hands on first impressions. 48 hours is way too much time. I like the idea of the ot threads opening on launch day, but we should be able to have pre ot or hype threads a week in advance (or more) to talk about the game until it releases.

Yoshichan

You seem to be complaining that there's no place to get super hyped up, and I thought we'd already made it clear that we actually wanted to cut down on that.
I'm not complaining about no place to get hyped up in. I'm complaining about having to use the search engine and specifically search for a game every single time because I want to read what everyone has to say about the game.
We can't expect people to actually do this! If they want to ask or find out something about the game, they will enter the first thread they see and ask the question there. That gets bumped, and then disappears from page 1. Another guy wants to ask another question, he finds another thread and decides to bump that instead.

And for someone who wants to read what everyone has to say/ask about the game (me), it's a complete clusterfuck.

edit: I am specifically talking about Lords of the Fallen right now. That's a game that isn't NEARLY as hyped up as many other games to be released in the future. What will happen when Bloodborne is nearing launch? Are we okay with having 26 Bloodborne threads, each thread being about X playing the demo live on Twitch or Y analyzing the latest official trailer?
It looks to me like he is complaining because the game he mentioned has had 5 threads made in the past week and he's annoyed that he needs to keep jumping from one to the next to read all the posts relating to it. It's a fair point, games with big PR pushes are going to get a lot of "new" info the week before release and it'll lead way too many threads with split communities. Dragon Age Inquisition is going to be a nightmare.
Spot on.

Sorian

Banned

It looks to me like he is complaining because the game he mentioned has had 5 threads made in the past week and he's annoyed that he needs to keep jumping from one to the next to read all the posts relating to it. It's a fair point, games with big PR pushes are going to get a lot of "new" info the week before release and it'll lead way too many threads with split communities. Dragon Age Inquisition is going to be a nightmare.

pariah164

No, I really like that I can click on an OT, start reading the first page and see actual hands on impressions. I dont have to try jumping 5 pages at a time to get to the hands on first impressions. 48 hours is way too much time. I like the idea of the ot threads opening on launch day, but we should be able to have pre ot or hype threads a week in advance (or more) to talk about the game until it releases.
I see your point; if 48 hours is too much time, is 24? I think a day before is reasonable. Hell, I'd even take 12 hours before.

Hasney

I see your point; if 48 hours is too much time, is 24? I think a day before is reasonable. Hell, I'd even take 12 hours before.

Aeana above is saying that aim for the day of release, but they are flexible and OTs can go live a little before, like they would have allowed Bayonetta 2 OT last night. Makes a lot more sense for games with worldwide dates since the OT creator won't have to stick to a hard and fast rule of midnight in Australia or wherever it comes out first like we were thinking originally.

I'm not complaining about no place to get hyped up in. I'm complaining about having to use the search engine and specifically search for a game every single time because I want to read what everyone has to say about the game.

Just subscribe to the threads and use your subscriptions? If there's a new thread with important news it's probably on the front page anyway (or use @NeoGAFNewThread on twitter)

On topic: The only issue I have is with the hard deadline of the release day.
If multiple people have early copies and proof of it a few days before release, they should be allowed to discuss it and the OT should go up or be unlocked.

THRILLH0

Banned
So was any consideration given to the chorus of people calling for OTs to go up a day or 2 before release? And I don't mean before the OP goes to bed the night before.

There are currently 5 Sunset Overdrive threads on the first page, at least 2 of which were created in the past 24 hours.

Actual impressions are being fragmented and people are commenting on gameplay in multiple places.

We've even got people making the exact same troll posts across multiple threads.

Top Bottom