• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 45, 2014

Bruno MB

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One first week sales split for the biggest releases of the year.

Code:
[B]ALIEN: ISOLATION (SEGA)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (41%)
Xbox One (31%)

[B]CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (35%)
Xbox One (32%)

[B]DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (46%)
Xbox One (36%)

[B]DIABLO III REAPER OF SOULS ULTIMATE EVIL (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (47%)
Xbox One (32%)

[B]FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (32%)
Xbox One (22%)

[B]METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (58%)
Xbox One (20%)

[B]MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (56%)
Xbox One (41%)

[B]THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (47%)
Xbox One (27%)

[B]THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) [/B]

PlayStation 4 (46%)
Xbox One (29%)

[B]WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (49%)
Xbox One (27%)

[B]WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (38%)
Xbox One (31%)

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sales split for the biggest releases of the year.

Code:
[B]ALIEN: ISOLATION (SEGA)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (41%)
Xbox One (31%)

[B]CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (35%)
Xbox One (32%)

[B]DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (46%)
Xbox One (36%)

[B]DIABLO III REAPER OF SOULS ULTIMATE EVIL (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (47%)
Xbox One (32%)

[B]FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (32%)
Xbox One (22%)

[B]METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (58%)
Xbox One (20%)

[B]MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (56%)
Xbox One (41%)

[B]THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (47%)
Xbox One (27%)

[B]THIEF (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) [/B]

PlayStation 4 (46%)
Xbox One (29%)

[B]WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (49%)
Xbox One (27%)

[B]WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)[/B]

PlayStation 4 (38%)
Xbox One (31%)

Nice.

Surprised at how much better FIFA 15 sold on PS4, that's massive.

I wonder if people will finally accept that big shooter franchises skew higher, percentage wise, on microsoft platforms now.

I also who argue that single player and open worlds nearly always skew higher on Sony platforms.

Kysen

From those splits a pattern comes up, if the game is a shooter the splits are close. Everything else is dire.

Reposting from last thread, in case someone wanted it but missed it:

UK update

Oct 2013: £83.1 million, 2.54 million units
Oct 2014: £78.0 million (-6.2%), 2.14 million units (-15.7%)

YTD Oct 2013: £595.7 million, 21.5 million units
YTD Oct 2014: £548.6 million (-7.9%), 18.0 million units (-16.4%)

Sorted by YTD 2014 column.

[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/WWbkz11.png [/IMG]

[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/cHxNG66.png [/IMG]

LTD:
PS4 = 4.79 million
XB1 = 3.79 million

LTD Ratio: 1.26 (5 PS4 to every 4 XB1 software units)

For comparison, the October 2014 ratio was 1.43 (7 PS4 units for every 5 XB1 units)
They must HATE handhelds

giadartis

Banned
Ps4 Call of Duty outselling Xbox One basically confirms that most of the 360 players are migrating away from the Xbox brand.

It should not be surprising that ps4 has top game sales for multiplats and ps4 exclusives as there is a greater install base on that console vs the other.. It would be better to compare ps4+ps3 vs Xb1+Xbox360 for COD and other games as well.

Some of these comments on this forum... Lets try to think big picture next time ok?

It should not be surprising that ps4 has top game sales for multiplats and ps4 ecclusives as there is a greater install base on that console vs the other.. It would be better to compare ps4+ps3 vs Xb1+Xbox360 for COD and other games as well.

Some of those comments on this forum... Lets try to think big picture next time ok?

why exactly? How does that prove or disprove your quoted point in any meaningful way? isnt the ps360 gap more than a couple of million consoles?

So whats so different about CoD?

Its the premier shooter franchise?

Unlike destiny, people have a history of playing it with certain people?

Xbox live is still seen as far more reliable than PSN?

The Xbox controllers are seen as far more better for shooters?

It has a offline campaign?

It a franchise that was created by the makers of one of microsofts biggest exclusives this year?

driver116

It a franchise that was created by the makers of one of microsofts biggest exclusives this year?

Isn't it pretty much neck and neck in the UK between XB1 and PS4 tho

Catdaddy

Good for Alien Isolation, even if it was on sale, glad to see it climb back up the charts, pleasantly surprised on how good it really is and for me has some replay value.

giadartis

Banned
why exactly? How does that prove or disprove your quoted point in any meaningful way? isnt the ps360 gap more than a couple of million consoles?

The number of consoles sold disparity between ps3 and xbox360 doesn't mean anything. Last Gen xbox360 was the COD console of choice. Thus, when making comparisons and general statements, one cannot forget that the last ten install base is what about 80mil per each console? I do not know the exact number, but it is far greater than any current Gen console install base.

No, I don't recall there being any data. Only active concurrent users are available on uh that Battlefield online thing.

That doesn't include users not connected to the internet though does it?

The number of consoles sold disparity between ps3 and xbox360 doesn't mean anything. Last Gen xbox360 was the COD console of choice. Thus, when making comparisons and general statements, one cannot forget that the last ten install base is what about 80mil per each console? I do not know the exact number, but it is far greater than any current Gen console install base.

Which has nothing to do with last gen to current gen migration, which is what you were responding to.

Kysen

It should not be surprising that ps4 has top game sales for multiplats and ps4 exclusives as there is a greater install base on that console vs the other.. It would be better to compare ps4+ps3 vs Xb1+Xbox360 for COD and other games as well.

Some of these comments on this forum... Lets try to think big picture next time ok?

There may be less x1s than ps4s(400k difference?) but there are far less ps3s than 360 in the UK. So adding them together makes no sense. 360 is at 9mil and PS3 a few million behind which kinda skews the results don't you think?

Percy

Banned

I'd say it's clearly down to the obvious reason that the Xbox audience has always been heavily skewed towards shooters... ridiculously so in fact. I don't recall there ever being a similarly heavy skew for the Playstation audience in any one game type's direction being apparent in gens past (Could be wrong of course).

It's not really surprising that a higher percentage of Xbox owners would gravitate towards shooters in my view.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
According to our estimates, these 3 games sold around 625,000 units combined. 625,000 + 14% = 712,500. That's a bit less than our unweighted Call of Duty: Ghosts sales estimate which is around 738,000 units. With such a big figures, something as little as a margin of error of 3 or 5% translates into tens of thousands of units.

So, this means it shouldn't be that higher than Ghosts' initial launch, right? And this despite launching on both old and current gen at the same time, one more day tracked, and the Day Zero Edition...

...but we need to see digital sales.

I'd say it's clearly down to the obvious reason that the Xbox audience has always been heavily skewed towards shooters... ridiculously so in fact. I don't recall there ever being a similarly heavy skew for the Playstation audience in any one game type's direction being apparent in gens past (Could be wrong of course).

It's not really surprising that a higher percentage of Xbox owners would gravitate towards shooters in my view.

Fighting games and Japanese action/adventure games (including FF) skewed higher on Playstation. At the beginning of the gen, racing games did as well. PES also did aberrantly well on PS3 compared to 360.

giadartis

Banned
There may be less x1s than ps4s(400k difference?) but there are far less ps3s than 360 in the UK. So adding them together makes no sense. 360 is at 9mil and PS3 a few million behind which kinda skews the results don't you think?

The first comment/remark I responded to was the one made about people leaving Xbox brand, with the ps4 and Xbox one sales for COD as proof for that statement. Which is ridiculous statement to make.

See my first post...post 65. Thus last few statements basically call out his comment as fanboyish.

Percy

Banned
Fighting games and Japanese action/adventure games (including FF) skewed higher on Playstation. At the beginning of the gen, racing games did as well. PES also did aberrantly well on PS3 compared to 360.

Yeah, I thought it might be a bit more spread out there.

Raist

Banned
Digging through old threads, we have the following week 1 numbers estimates:

Destiny 400k
WNO 82k
TF 125k

So CoD:AW ~690k

That's way lower than the first week figure for Ghosts, which we know AW outsold... so either Ghosts was overestimated, and some of these three titles were underestimated.

Bruno MB

Digging through old threads, we have the following week 1 numbers estimates:

Destiny 400k
WNO 82k
TF 125k

So CoD:AW ~690k

That's way lower than the first week figure for Ghosts, which we know AW outsold... so either Ghosts was overestimated, and some of these three titles were underestimated.

I have revised our Call of Duty: Ghosts estimate and it was pretty spot on.

(100%)

[Week 45] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 775,000 / NEW
[Week 46] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 186,000 / 961,000 (-76%)
[Week 47] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 156,240 / 1,117,240 (-16%)
[Week 48] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 207,799 / 1,325,039 (+33%)
[Week 49] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 211,955 / 1,536,994 (+2%)
[Week 50] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 167,444 / 1,704,438 (-21%)
[Week 51] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 179,165 / 1,883,603 (+7%)
[Week 52] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 136,165 / 2,019,768 (-24%)

According to Chart-Track, Call of Duty: Ghosts sold 1,991,994 units in 2013. We were off by only 28,000 units.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/gta-...ct-of-2013-call-of-duty-falls-to-no-5/0126323

Destiny 400k

Thanks to MCV magazine we later learn that Destiny did around 417,100 (95%) units. Maybe Titanfall was a bit underestimated.

Paganmoon

Again, mind as well add Sweden's week 44, since we won't be seeing Week 45 until next week.

Single format

1.Farming Simulator 2015 (PC)
2.The Sims 4 (PC)
3.FIFA 15 (PS3)
4.FIFA 15 (PS4)
5.Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
6.Driveclub (PS4)
7.FIFA 15 (360)
8.Minecraft (PS3)
9.Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii)
10.Lords of the Fallen (PS4)
11.Skylanders: Trap Team (PS3)
12.Skylanders: Trap Team (360)
13.Minecraft (360)
14.Sunset Overdrive (XBO)
15.NHL 15 (PS4)
16.Bayonetta 2 (WiU)
17.Just Dance 2015 (Wii)
18.NHL 15 (PS3)
19.Destiny (PS4)
20.NHL 15 (360)

Multiformat/combined:
1.FIFA 15
2.Farming Simulator 2015
3.Skylanders: Trap Team
4.The Sims 4
5.Minecraft
6.Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
7.NHL 15
8.Driveclub
9.Just Dance 2015
10.Lords of the Fallen
11.Disney Infinity 2.0
12.Destiny
13.Battlefield 4
14.MX vs. ATC Supercross
15.The Evil Within
16.Lego Marvel Super Heroes
17.Sunset Overdrive
18.Bayonetta 2
19.Forza Horizon 2
20.Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Farming Simulator? seriously? Also, XBO game charted. cross on the ceiling.

Tratorn

I wonder why The Evil Within is selling better on XB1 than PS4.
The PS4 version had a big advantage 1st week and japanese games normally sell better on PlayStation by comparison.

Is there any big deal at some major retails for the One version?

I will have to try this farming simulator for myself, pity I will be too busy with so many other games, but I may find a quiet morning or two one day after the steam sales at Xmas. It sounds amazing always wanted to run my own farm and now I can do so without getting up at 4 am to feed the chickens.

Interesting week. AW seems to be suffering from Ghosts failures or just general franchise fatigue. SO's drop is actually pretty good, as 2nd week percentage drops are often in the mid-70's to low-80's range. Does depend on what Week 1 sales were for it to be truly good but certainly doesn't seem bad at least in the UK

Glad to see Shadow of Mordor holding somewhat on the charts. It's a pretty great first effort by monolith

Top Bottom