• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan, US's Highest Ranking Elected GOPer, Says He Cannot Support Trump For Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

WASHINGTON — Speaker Paul D. Ryan, the nation’s highest-ranking elected Republican, said Thursday he was “not ready” to endorse Donald J. Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee.

Mr. Ryan, who is also chairman of the Republican National Convention, has repeatedly said he would support his party’s nominee. But he has carved out some terrain to differentiate himself, by insisting that House Republicans write their own policy agenda this year and by giving speeches that at times criticized Mr. Trump’s views. Mr. Ryan said Republicans needed a “standard-bearer” who embodied the party’s standards.

“I don’t want to underplay what he accomplished,” Mr. Ryan said about Mr. Trump. But he added, “We hope that our nominee aspires to be Lincoln and Reaganesque,” someone who “appeals to a vast majority of Americans.”

“I think conservatives want to know does he share our values and our principles,” he said. “There’s a lot of questions conservatives are going to want answers to.”

His comments Thursday differed from other Republican lawmakers this week who have offered tempered support for Mr. Trump.

“I have committed to supporting the nominee chosen by Republican voters, and Donald Trump, the presumptive nominee, is now on the verge of clinching that nomination,” Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, said in a statement this week.

Many Republicans have been expecting Mr. Ryan to spend his time this summer and fall shoring up vulnerable House Republicans, particularly those running in districts where Mr. Trump is unpopular, rather than stumping for the nominee.

Big lol here:

“They must reject any group or cause that is built on bigotry. This party does not prey on people’s prejudices. We appeal to their highest ideals. This is the party of Lincoln.”

“This is fundamental,” Mr. Ryan added at the time. “And if someone wants to be our nominee, they must understand this. I hope this is the last time I need to speak out on this race.”

mclem

“They must reject any group or cause that is built on bigotry. This party does not prey on people’s prejudices. We appeal to their highest ideals. This is the party of Lincoln.”

But it's okay to kick transsexuals, 'cause they aren't important enough to matter?

Iorv3th

Does anyone anywhere care what paul ryan says? I don't think he holds a lot of weight with republican voters.

PBY

Banned
wvc-garbage-truck-fire.gif

meh, Ryan will come around sooner rather than later.

Is Trump any more of a scumbag than Ryan's colleague Mitch McConnell? It's a party of scumbags and Trump fits right in, IMO.

"I hope this is the last time I need to speak out on this race.”

Dude, you're the Speaker of the House and you think you can get away with not commentating on the presidential race for the next six months?

Sulik2

You can't get more Reaganesque then Trump. He's a war mongering, racist, corporatist through and through just like Reagan.

BanGy.nz

Banned
He'll endorse at the convention and they'll try and present a unified party narrative before the Democratic National Convention.

bionic77

You can't get more Reaganesque then Trump. He's a war mongering, racist, corporatist through and through just like Reagan.
Reagan always used the correct dog whistles though.

Trump doesn't fuck with whistles. Big difference. He just comes out and says shit.

Empty

he'll still endorse trump. he just wants to try and force trump to be more traditional conservative.

Euron

So, then who is Mr. Ryan's candidate of choice for President, if I may ask?????
Himself. In 2020. Trump will lose the election badly and Ryan will tell everyone he told them so then try to position himself as the leader of the party moving forward toward the 2020 election.

TyrantII

They know they're in for a whollop in swing States with current demo trends.

Sorry Pauly, but white nationalism is at the core appeal. They don't want dog whistles anymore, they want sirens.

You are not the party of lincoln and havnt been for a long time.

You cant utter reagan and lincoln in the same sentence

studyguy

The deadline for filing has already passed/is about to pass for many states.

Someone on the NPR podcast went back and counted how many times Ryan denied he was going for the presidency publicly. It was something crazy like in the high 30's. Dude's gonna be denying his run all the way up to November lol.

platocplx

Illegals, Welfare Queens,Islamaphobic,homophobic as a lot of this parties rhetoric begs to differ.

Zubz

Banned
I hate that "Party of Lincoln" card Ryan always pulls. Back in Lincoln's era, the Republicans were all like modern Democrats (And vice versa) until some bipartisan buffoonery led to the 2 parties seeking the others' demographics.

But I digress. I still find it hilarious that Ryan was basically strong-armed into the Speaker position despite wanting out of the game, and then the 2016 election happens.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Himself. In 2020. Trump will lose the election badly and Ryan will tell everyone he told them so then try to position himself as the leader of the party moving forward toward the 2020 election.

They are going to lose, but unless Hillary fucks up or the economy crashes. They won't want to be anywhere near this crater Trump has created. It's basically folding the next election and a lot of seats in the Senate/House for the better part of a decade.

They can potentially rebound in 2024 if Ryan builds himself up.

I'm discovering that there is a split among the "Never Trump" GOP that is totally baffling. There are the people who reject his bigotry and then there are those who believe he is not conservative enough or not a "true conservative." The latter do not mention his bigotry at all and are presumably okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom