• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Magazine rumor: PS4 event in April-May

Tagg9

Sony has a second conference all prepped and ready, they're probably just waiting for Microsoft to announce a date so they can have theirs two days after.

Spinluck

Show

- Console design
- UI
- Announce a few games (show their teasers, but demo them at E3)
- More in depth share button demonstration
- Some apps
- New PSN store
- Ability to change PSN ID

What to not show and save for E3

- Games
- Games
- Games
- Price
- Unannounced Megatons

TheHater

Show

- Console design
- UI
- Announce a few games (show their teasers, but demo them at E3)
- More in depth share button demonstration
- Some apps
- New PSN store
- Ability to change PSN ID

What to not show and save for E3

- Games
- Games
- Games
- Price
- Unannounced Megatons

And the ability to promote a sub account to a master account. FFS, can we have that option already.

vivftp

I'm liking the constant rollout of new information as it keeps everyone talking about the PS4. It would have sucked if they had remained tight lipped after the Feb reveal up until E3. What we get instead is GDC and numerous interviews that give us new tidbits to talk about on a constant basis. So rather than the hype slowly dying, it's slowly building on a daily basis.

Anyways, I REALLY hope that whatever Sony has planned for the PS4, it involves either the Oculus Rift or a Sony equivelant. I saw this article recently that claimed Sony and MS were working on similar devices, but I haven't heard a peep about it otherwise... anyone know if there's something I'm missing?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-goggles_n_2978094.html

article said:
Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. are reportedly working on similar peripherals, as are other companies. Luckey contends that the innovations Nintendo Co. made with its Wii U, Sony is planning with its upcoming PlayStation 4, and Microsoft is likely tinkering with for its successor to the Xbox 360 don't seem like enough.

Hex

Banned
You know how when you jerk off a few times in quick succession you come less each time? Yeah, Microsoft is holding their load. You just wait.

Unless they hold off too long and misfire the gooey kablooey at the first sign of excitement.
It is possible to overthink and overstrategize.

EMT0

Banned
tumblr_mi2529sqZU1s5o3aso4_1280.jpg

Round two, let's go!

Sony has a second conference all prepped and ready, they're probably just waiting for Microsoft to announce a date so they can have theirs two days after.
You think Sony can book a arena really quick if MS announce they will have conference one week later or even few days later?unless it's something like Nintendo Direct,but it won't have big affect to MS even it's good for Sony

If this is true, I would expect the actual console itself to make an appearance this time, including the final design of the controller and camera. They would also use this opportunity to show off Gaikai running live through the PlayStation Store.

E3 would then be for nothing but games, services, announcements and finally the price and release date. The months leading up to Gamescom would be the odd PlayStation related event to show off the games again and keep interest.

Gamescom would then be games, services and some viral marketing stuff. Tokyo Game Show would be games, services and probably the beginning of the major marketing push worldwide. Nothing but marketing and hype until launch then.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If this is true, I would expect the actual console itself to make an appearance this time and for Sony to show off Gaikai and the PS4 PlayStation Store.

E3 would then be for nothing but games, services and finally the price and release date. The months leading up to Gamescom would be the odd PlayStation related event to show off the games again and keep interest.

Gamescom would then be games and services. Tokyo Game Show would be games, services and probably the beginning of the major marketing push worldwide. Nothing but marketing and hype until launch then.

This is what I'm expecting as well. This event won't be a blowout, just some general info.

jaypah

Typical defensive post from you, thanks for the lulz.

Still bitter? I said I liked you as a poster, why can't we be friends? :)

But seriously, you can't see the humor in people saying MS is in panic mode no matter what? I mean, sometimes it's completely opposite circumstances with the same result. But go ahead, play the defensive card. Pot stirring is your specialty :p

Yet no reveal and the Durango is getting shit on.

People really buy this nonsense? The next xbox has neither lost nor gained a thing as a result of Sony talking about the PS4 first. There's plenty of time for the next xbox to be announced and for all kinds of details and media to come out regarding the system. Microsoft hasn't somehow lost anything as a result of Sony's reveal... Who talks about what when doesn't give you some kind of meaningful advantage. What would be an advantage is certain launch plans, particularly price, and, of course, certain big deal announcements that help you, but hurt the competition.

Mobius 1

Are they going to shit on Microsoft's reveal? Sony seems very confident on their route this time.

I can't wait for more information and the deluge of Kaz GIFs. Fucking bring it on Mr Hirai, because I keep throwing money at the screen and nothing happens.

coldfoot

Banned
Thankfully businesses don't work like dicks. They're only run by them.
Only US businesses. You can't be successful in business in Japan by being a dick. (I'm an expert)

Joking aside, I'm bracing for the five hundred and ninety nine dollar price...

Guessing they will save the price/bundle info plus release date for E3

Yeah, announcing that before Microsoft would be stupid, as it'd give MS plenty of time to counter it.

My guess is, if it's true, it'll be another game announcement. Sony love making their big announcements right before E3, so it'd fit.

Iacobellis

People really buy this nonsense? The next xbox has neither lost nor gained a thing as a result of Sony talking about the PS4 first. There's plenty of time for the next xbox to be announced and for all kinds of details and media to come out regarding the system. Microsoft hasn't somehow lost anything as a result of Sony's reveal... Who talks about what when doesn't give you some kind of meaningful advantage. What would be an advantage is certain launch plans, particularly price, and, of course, certain big deal announcements that help you, but hurt the competition.

Do you at least proofread what you type?

Iacobellis

I'm sure Sony showing their console before Microsoft is better, but imagine if they waited for E3? That's when you have millions of people watching on the computer, TV, etc.. The reactions would be bigger.

jaypah

"599 US DOLLARS!"

No way in hell. I'd do a 3 month avatar bet on that. I know you're joking but people seem to think that the ram upgrade will push them to repeat their pricing mistake. I don't see them making any mistakes from the last go 'round.

FluxWaveZ

I'm sure Sony showing their console before Microsoft is better, but imagine if they waited for E3? That's when you have millions of people watching on the computer, TV, etc.. The reactions would be bigger.

I don't get it. The information that they'd be revealing at this event would also be present at their E3 conference, which would have the millions of people watching it, so what would be the difference?

demolitio

The day (fine, week) after Microsoft's big unveil would be a good time if they're confident they can take the hype back. They could come out and show the system and anything else they feel comfortable with letting go before E3 to steal some of the thunder right back would be clever.

It'd be even crazier if they felt so confident and came out and gave a price thinking it would blow people away too but I know that's more of a dream. I love the start of a new generation even if I'm only going to be able to get one at launch, but I try not to get too invested considering I'll own them all at one point or another through clever bartering.

In the end, it all comes down to exclusives and I hope MS blows us away in that area after making me jaded with the Gears and Halo release cycle with a few others mixed in every once in a while. Some people loved that cycle, but I want a few more IP's this time around.

June is actually the most wonderful time of the year for the hype alone. I'm eager to see Nintendo's games too. I know, I'm just a diverse gamer, but that also means I'm not a warrior in the Console Wars. Well, unless I can be a mercenary... :D

They had millions of people watching live on Feb 20th.

Raven77

No way in hell. I'd do a 3 month avatar bet on that. I know you're joking but people seem to think that the ram upgrade will push them to repeat their pricing mistake. I don't see them making any mistakes from the last go 'round.

If I had to take a serious guess.

$349 if they want to take on the Wii U and just try to kill it (and in turn likely take a decent loss on every system sold).

$399. That is the most likely price in my opinion.

demolitio

They had millions watching already and look at the boost it gave them as being the only one officially recognized at the moment. It was even on our local news the day after the event and that helps When friends show others what next-gen will be like right now, they show Killzone 4 (for better or worse).

By doing this, they keep the hype up quite a few times while always leaving us waiting for the next event to get more info. It's not like people aren't going to be watching E3, but they get even more exposure this way.

This whole year is a game itself so it's fun to watch it all unfold and being excited for them all at the moment.

Spinluck

And the ability to promote a sub account to a master account. FFS, can we have that option already.

Yes, my brother wasn't 18 when PS3 came out, and put his real birthday when he made his account. Since then I've moved out, and he got his own PS3, the fact that I'm still his master account drives him crazy sometimes. Lol.

artist

Banned
Still bitter? I said I liked you as a poster, why can't we be friends? :)

But seriously, you can't see the humor in people saying MS is in panic mode no matter what? I mean, sometimes it's completely opposite circumstances with the same result. But go ahead, play the defensive card. Pot stirring is your specialty :p
I'm not bitter because I'm not going around throwing unprovoked character attacks .. ;)

I think this is great news!

It means Sony hasn't shown the big guns yet! It also means Microsoft will have to fight harder as well!

This is great for the industry. Competition is great for the consumer. It's impressive to see Sony on their game.

Jeels

I've pretty much already settled on a PS4 on day one at this point regardless. Still, I would love to see/here more. It'd be interesting if we had two PS conferences before an XBOX conference. Would really hit home Sony's strategy here versus.Microsoft's silence.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My predictions:

- Price
- Console reveal
- No release date
- Only a little game footage, with a possible tease for a killer exclusive reveal at E3.

wilflare

PSN
- option to gift games (think Steam)
- PSM to be part of PSN storefront (and giving developers option to get promo codes)
- option to change userID (first time for free, subsequent at a fee)
- option to migrate account to another region (like the 360)
- option to merge accounts (one-time option)

that would make me get a PS4 (almost instantly) haha

Top Bottom