• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs. Next Gen Consoles: Your current rig really won't cut it

BlackJace

...except no game at that quality will be developed again for PC, so the fact that PCs can run it now is irrelevant. PC might get whatever game Agni's turns out to be but it'll still be a console port.

The last true PC AAA blockbuster megaton graphics horse exclusive was Crysis. That was the last real PC showpiece and it was 5 years ago. We're probably never going to see that again.

Someone show this man Crysis 3.

Sethos

Banned
This topic is about that your current rig can't play all late-game console titles at comparable graphics.

If there is no amount of money that can get you that at this point it's relevant.
If there is an amount of money that can get you a rig that will make that, then it's also relevant and the OP has a counter point.

This topic is about discussing some factual data and applying them to future generations of consoles versus PC. You try to ask a question about a game / tech demo that hasn't even been shown on a console, much less do we know the settings which it's running and you want us to build an imaginary PC to match those settings to create a completely pointless comparison that makes no sense.

SparkTR

...except no game at that quality will be developed again for PC, so the fact that PCs can run it now is irrelevant. PC might get whatever game Agni's turns out to be but it'll still be a console port.

The last true PC AAA blockbuster megaton graphics horse exclusive was Crysis. That was the last real PC showpiece and it was 5 years ago. We're probably never going to see that again.

Star Citizen seems to be that, it's being designed for GTX680 and i7 computers in mind. Machines that, if rumors are to be believed, are more powerful that next gen consoles.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I expect my rig (670 GTX + i5-2500k) to run everyting at high (not ultra) with FXAA at 30 fps with some drops. This means that I have to build a new rig by the time new consoles hit or do wisely and wait one year (going through my backlog) because the second wave of console games will beat the shit out of PC (probably).

i-Lo

I can bet you'll be the first to cream yourself when MS and Sony inevitably show bullshots and CG tech demos for their next boxes.

Yea, this is what I am afraid of. I am hoping that there are no tech demos shown. Instead in work projects. Although, that said, the tech demos during Sony's E3 (discounting the infamous KZ2 CG) have been matched aside from perhaps the IQ in the last 3 years.

ekim

Crysis 3

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This topic is about discussing some factual data and applying them to future generations of consoles versus PC. You try to ask a question about a game / tech demo that hasn't even been shown on a console, much less do we know the settings which it's running and you want us to build an imaginary PC to match those settings to create a completely pointless comparison that makes no sense.
Look at the posts I'm replying to. They are very confident that their current rig can do it. So asking what they have for specs and price is unreasonable?

derExperte

Maybe my comparison was wrong but you would need an a lot more powerful rig for horizon on pc than a pc with 360 hardware.

I can't disagree with that but you don't need a 'monster rig' (imo 1500-2000€ and up) to get something way more powerful. My two year old PC with it's 150€ graphics card runs circles around my PS3 and certainly could run Horizon if converted competently.

lemonade

well of course pc's that are built even at the launch of the new consoles will struggle to keep up with them at the end of their life. that could be a 10 year old pc!

Someone show this man Crysis 3.

It's not even out yet, and it'll probably have an equally as gorgeous next-gen "GOTY Maximum Power" edition for 720 & PS4. And that's literally one game, by the same company, in the same franchise, and it took 4 years to get that second graphical showpiece.

Haunted

I think Horizon is absolutely one of the best looking 360 games, but it's getting smoked by a number of PC games, and that's ok.

Ekim is wrong.

Maybe ones that you personally know but that's a bunch of BS overall. 1080p is the high quality standard for 95% of PC gamers. A tiny fraction would go higher.

If most next-gen games end up being native 1080p, we'll have hit the jackpot. I sound like a broken record but that's my only concern for next-gen, the resolution.
Well, we're not talking about now, right? The post I was replying to was about end of next generation, so somewhere around 2019-2020.

I don't think 1080p will still be the high quality standard then for monitors.

It amazes you because it's one of the few console games that aren't jaggied to hell and back.

Seems console owners have recently discovered smooth edges, something PC users have been enjoying for years and years.
Moreso than polycount and effects, improved IQ will be one of the major things to impress console-only gamers in the next generation.

The effect of a clean IQ simply cannot be understated.

2San

Dunno Battlefield 3 was a real show stopper imo. It looked amazing with a lot of shit happening while maintaining a solid frame rate. Was way more impressed by BF3 then vanilla crysis ever did. That chugged on most riggs.

Eideka

Banned

Star Citizen is coming, contrary to what you would like to see graphical powerhouses on PC will still be developped but they won't come from AAA publishers.

Coolwhip

Banned
Isn't that obvious? My point is that it's quite amusing to see people argue for the power of consoles compared to PC by saying that consoles may even be able to reach "Agni's Philosophy"-level graphics by year 4, when those very graphics were running on PC at year -1.

If that's true then this tread is done isn't it?

Dizzy

Banned
I'm researching pc tech at the mo and I'm noticing the same thing. Makes me unsure if I should get a gtx 670 level card for £300, or a 660ti for around £100 less. Given how fast pc tech moves and how quickly system requirements can go up it makes me not want to spend so much money on a card since I'll need an upgrade before the end of the next console gen anyway.

Having barely played anything on PC I'm ok building a rig now that wont last throughout next-gen because theres a full library of older games I can go through and play on highest settings at 60fps. Add in mods and stuff and the games will have legs. Few years into next-gen and I bet the cards that curbstomp console performance will be at a reasonable price range.

I expect my rig (670 GTX + i5-2500k) to run everyting at high (not ultra) with FXAA at 30 fps with some drops. This means that I have to build a new rig by the time new consoles hit or do wisely and wait one year (going through my backlog) because the second wave of console games will beat the shit out of PC (probably).

Get 2 more 670s :) I'm hoping with 2 670s I won't have to upgrade till nvidia's maxwells roll out but if I need a bump in power I have the option for a 3rd 670

Sethos

Banned
Look at the posts I'm replying to. They are very confident that their current rig can do it. So asking what they have for specs and price is unreasonable?

You replied to me in the post I'm referring to where I say no such thing. You ask me for a PC that would match a console demo that hasn't even been shown off and thus have no settings or anything to target a build at, which is but one of the problems with that 'question'. Whoever originally asked it, you seem to think it's a great question except it's a completely unintelligent, speculative question.

Well, we're not talking about now, right? The post I was replying to was about end of next generation, so somewhere around 2019-2020.

I don't think 1080p will still be the high quality standard then for monitors.
Yeah, I thought we were talking about now or a couple years from now. In 2019-20? who knows... that's so far away, I wouldn't be surprised is 2560 was the PC norm by then, maybe even a few 4k games.

Dunno Battlefield 3 was a real show stopper imo. It looked amazing with a lot of shit happening while maintaining a solid frame rate. Was way more impressed by BF3 then vanilla crysis ever did. That chugged on most riggs.
BF3 ultra looks like a high-res console port with better textures. The assets were made for consoles so no matter how much higher you take the res & AA & tesselation, it doesn't matter because the core assets were developed for 7 year old hardware in mind, not PCs.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
A lot of 1 to 1 hardware comparisons. Doesn't optimizing for consoles give a significant boost to gfx when compared with a PC of similar spec? I've always figured it was around a 20-30 percent increase.

Grief.exe

The Ultra 6800 fares little better, playing RE5 in 1024x768 but barely...
Youtube video of Ultra 6800 choking on RE5

If you click on the video the guy says it runs at roughly 30 fps when recording, but he loses a lot of frames with fraps on. Fraps recording generally loses 10-15% of frames.

Isn't this running at a higher resolution and same framerate as consoles now? Or a higher framerate when not recording?

I think if you look at the pace technology has advanced we are in a far different place than we were 7 years ago.

I'm researching pc tech at the mo and I'm noticing the same thing. Makes me unsure if I should get a gtx 670 level card for £300, or a 660ti for around £100 less. Given how fast pc tech moves and how quickly system requirements can go up it makes me not want to spend so much money on a card since I'll need an upgrade before the end of the next console gen anyway.

Having barely played anything on PC I'm ok building a rig now that wont last throughout next-gen because theres a full library of older games I can go through and play on highest settings at 60fps. Add in mods and stuff and the games will have legs. Few years into next-gen and I bet the cards that curbstomp console performance will be at a reasonable price range.

If you buy a 670 now, it will most likely last you through the entire generation. You might not be able to max games out near the end, but you will still be running high fps/resolution.

If you find yourself having problems you can pick up a used 670 for around $100-$150 or so down the line and SLI to make up the performance difference.

Lettuce

I doubt the game was made with those cards in mind. I'm not sure if devs have to do any optimisations for older cards with different architectures.

Agni was running at 60fps on a geforce 680. Which many of us here have.

I think people are missing the point of this thread, which is if you bought the best spec PC on launch day of the new Microsoft console then the PC will not last the duration of the Xbox 720's generation cycle. I think alot of people on this thread aren't getting that, you will have to upgrade your PC again to be able to play games that will be released on the xbox720 at the end of its generation.

2San

BF3 ultra looks like a high-res console port with better textures. The assets were made for consoles so no matter how much higher you take the res & AA & tesselation, it doesn't matter because the core assets were developed for 7 year old hardware in mind, not PCs.
No not even close. The assets where clearly made for PC and downgraded for consoles. Seeing the crazy amount of compression, the forced installs and compromises in map size. I have BF3 for both for the 360 and the PC. BF3 looked and ran worse than BF:BC2. BC2 was the console effort and was great on consoles. BF3 on consoles was terrible in comparison.

SparkTR

A lot of 1 to 1 hardware comparisons. Doesn't optimizing for consoles give a significant boost to gfx when compared with a PC of similar spec? I've always figured it was around a 20-30 peace to increase.

It definitely helps if the game is exclusive, but I don't believe that's necessarily true in all cases. I remember watching a rig around the same power of a 360 (except more ram) running Crysis 2 at comparable levels to the console counterparts. I can't find the video now unfortunately. Running at 720p and locking the FPS to 30 does wonders for performance, but is hardly acceptable for PC games.

crabman

Edit- actually Warhead that came out in 2008, so it's been 4 years not 5.

What about Witcher 2?

Haunted

If that's true then this tread is done isn't it?
The thing is that people won't know what they're supposed to argue without having someone show it to them first.

Before Agni's Philosophy came out, people were arguing in nebulous terms, without anything real they could hold onto. Now they've seen that, that's something they can point to and say "yeah, that. I mean that."

Point is, the sample size is too low, with only a handful of next generation technologies having been shown so far. As soon as more footage is shown (and the specs of Orbis and Durango become clearer) so we get a better idea of the graphical ballparks we're actually talking about here, you can take their contributions more seriously.

King_Moc

Banned

Edit- actually Warhead that came out in 2008, so it's been 4 years not 5.

Battlefield 3 and The Witcher 2 didn't happen?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It definitely helps if the game is exclusive, but I don't believe that's necessarily true in all cases. I remember watching a rig around the same power of a 360 (except more ram) running Crysis 2 at comparable levels to the console counterparts. I can't find the video now unfortunately. Running at 720p and locking the FPS to 30 does wonders for performance, but is hardly acceptable for PC games.

oh, mind blown. *boom*

No not even close. The assets where clearly made for PC and downgraded for consoles. Seeing the crazy amount of compression, the forced installs and compromises in map size. I have BF3 for both for the 360 and the PC. BF3 looked and ran worse than BF:BC2. BC2 was the console effort and was great on consoles. BF3 on consoles was terrible in comparison.

BF3 ultra doesn't look next-gen, period. What you're saying might be true but it just doesn't look next-gen. If you think it does then you have different standards than I do, which is cool.

What about Witcher 2?
Looks like a high res console game with great textures.

solarus

This is my belief too and I bet it will happen. I only buy a rig once a generation, so I will wait until 2014-2015 until i make a new rig.

Ashes

Banned
If Vita is a casing point, technology will catch up faster this time round.

I wonder how console makers hope to future proof their consoles....

I'm able to play bf3 with console like visual just on my i5 3570k hd 4000 graphics and get a frame rate of 25 to 35fps. I have bf3 on ps3 and PC and I must say that bf3 on consoles looks like a cellphone game compared to the pc version so no, bf3 on pc isn't a uber res console version.

King_Moc

Banned
BF3 console looks utterly disgusting compared to Ultra PC version.

I actually bought both the 360 version and the PC version so i could play with my 360 friend list. I plaed it once. Only a third of the players, 30fps and shrunken maps. The PC version is a gen ahead.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This is my belief too and I bet it will happen. I only buy a rig once a generation, so I will wait until 2014-2015 until i make a new rig.

this is my plan too. maybe 2016 since i want to game at 2560 x 1440. though by then we'll probably have 4k pc monitors :X

2San

BF3 ultra doesn't look next-gen, period. What you're saying might be true but it just doesn't look next-gen. If you think it does then you have different standards than I do, which is cool.
Moving goal posts are we? Battlefield 3 is graphic powerhouse and unparalleled by other games(vanilla versions). BF3 is one of the few games that looks the part and also brings the proper performance.

derExperte

Yeah, BF3 doesn't get enough credit maybe because it's not a PC exclusive but it looks and runs leaps and bounds better and will utilize all that extra power. Only a highressed console port? LOL, no.

SparkTR

Well this thread really made me think twice about spending money on a great PC =\

If you're waiting for the latest and greatest you'll never upgrade your PC, there's always something around the corner. If you feel it's time, just get what you want.

Moving goal posts are we? Battlefield 3 is graphic powerhouse and unparalleled by other games(vanilla versions). BF3 is one of the few games that looks the part and also brings the proper performance.

I'm not moving any goal posts. I played it on ultra @ 1080p. The game looks like a high res console port. If that's what you want out of next-gen... well suit yourself.

Well this thread really made me think twice about spending money on a great PC =\
Just wait till next Fall so you have a good idea of what you'll need. No point in upgrading in this transition period.

Serra

I'm not moving any goal posts. I played it on ultra @ 1080p. The game looks like a high res console port. If that's what you want out of next-gen... well suit yourself.

Why do you play PC games at only 1080p? Honest question as you seem to have a decent rig.

edit: I would like to add that your expectations for next gen are totally unrealistic.

Kosma

Banned
Why do people assume devs will take the time to optimize games for their old graphics cards in 4/5 years or PC's? Your 680 etc simply won't be supported well anymore.

Just like games today aren't optimized for the 7800GTX which in theory should run everything fine since it blew the 360 out of the water in COD/Oblivion in 2005.

Not to mention MS might want to set the tone with some tech PC's don't have yet, making all current PC design flawed. (like more cpu's or some other trick).

Why do you play PC games at only 1080p? Honest question as you seem to have a decent rig.

Seriously? 1080p is shit now? 99% of PC gamers must be sad then

edit: I would like to add that your expectations for next gen are totally unrealistic.
I've already seen 3 games that look next-gen and better than BF3: Watch Dogs, Star Wars 1313, Crysis 3... and this is the first year. Imagine what they will look in years 3+.

Darkangel

It's a proven fact that a high-end PC from 2005 will run modern games worse than an Xbox 360. The 2005 PC may be more powerful, but no developer will spend time optimizing for such an old setup.

With that in mind, I don't think it's out of this world to assume that a high-end PC from 2012/13 will have trouble playing games in 2020.

That was the entire premise of this thread. People who are saying they'll upgrade down the line have missed the point. If the Xbox 720 is similar to how the Xbox 360 was in 2005, then I wouldn't be surprised to see my GTX670 struggling in 6 years.

Also, Forza Horizon is a great looking game. The fact that they have it looking so clean on 2005 hardware is very impressive.

longdi

Banned
i agree BF3 does not look next gen.
something about its wimpy low polygon models. and the repetitive textures and buildings.
i run mine at 1200p ultra at 60fps multiplayer.

Looks like a high res console game with great textures.

Well I can get from point A to B in a Ford Pinto no different than a GT500 lol I mean yes games look like games but to downplay the difference of BF3 on consoles vs pc is a joke.

Top Bottom