• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Personaly , I believe Penn state should closed down. Let the current crop of students work their way through or transfer out and close it up for incoming classes. Penn state should be wiped off the face of the planet.

Then All college sports should be removed from colleges. They serve no academic purpose and are not needed.
ibs5tQzgGlSscM.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Personaly , I believe Penn state should closed down. Let the current crop of students work their way through or transfer out and close it up for incoming classes. Penn state should be wiped off the face of the planet.

Then All college sports should be removed from colleges. They serve no academic purpose and are not needed.
Actually, I'd say 80% of college students should be removed from colleges. They serve no academic purpose and are not needed.

eastmen

Banned
You can still have sports programs for those who want to go into them , but they shouldn't be tied to the colleges that the players go to.

MThanded

You can still have sports programs for those who want to go into them , but they shouldn't be tied to the colleges that the players go to.
So you were being serious. I don't even care that much about college sports but damn...

YoungHav

Banned
Stop applying the morality of today to men who lived in the 18th century.
That makes absolutely no sense. There were abolitionists alive back then *GASP*, tell me how it was humanely possible that there were moral people back then? Please tell me, were they time travellers who went back and said slaughtering natives and enslaving blacks was wrong?

MThanded

That makes absolutely no sense. There were abolitionists alive back then *GASP*, tell me how it was humanely possible that there were moral people back then? Please tell me, were they time travellers who went back and said slaughtering natives and enslaving blacks was wrong?
Where are we going here Hav? Damn.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
...I actually thought you were trolling...but you werent....I need a beer.

YoungHav

Banned
Where are we going here Hav? Damn.
I want to write a piece on time travelling abolitionists. Seriously though, is there such a thing as moral objectivity? Is what JoePa did objectively wrong, or is it wrong b/c we only consider it wrong at this moment in time? Would it be ok if we put that statue back up 100yrs from now?

Xeke

Banned

That would produce awful college football as many of the great football players are only there because of football scholarships.

I doubt Jeremy Shockey was at Miami on an academic scholarship.

Jeremy_Shockey.jpg

I want to write a piece on time travelling abolitionists. Seriously though, is there such a thing as moral objectivity? Is what JoePa did objectively wrong, or is it wrong b/c we only consider it wrong at this moment in time? Would it be ok if we put that statue back up 100yrs from now?

I really don't think willfully ignoring an assistant raping young children in a work environment would ever be considered morally acceptable.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
...I actually thought you were trolling...but you werent....I need a beer.

I said there were people saying this in the thread already. I suppose at least one of them is at least coming straight out with it and not just beating around the bush.

eastmen

Banned
That would produce awful college football as many of the great football players are only there because of football scholarships.

Whats it matter ? College should be for learning , not a training ground for the NFL and other sports leagues

I don't see the purpose of them other than to make huge companys money off the backs of college students.

Keep the schooling seperate from the sports and things will go much better for this country.

You do know most kids wouldn't go to college if it wasn't for sport scholarships? Like c'mon bro. Be serious here.

Between this and the time travel thing (I don't even) I think this thread has run its course.

Xeke

Banned
Whats it matter ? College should be for learning , not a training ground for the NFL and other sports leagues

It is for learning for 98% of the student body who doesn't end up in the NFL. For those 2% maybe 1% will make it in the NFL.

(Those percentages are completely made up and I have no knowledge of the percent of college football players who make the NFL)

College football isn't a training ground for the NFL considering something like 98% of college football players go pro in something other than sports.

We agree on something.

eastmen

Banned
You do know most kids wouldn't go to college if it wasn't for sport scholarships? Like c'mon bro. Be serious here.

Between this and the time travel thing (I don't even) I think this thread has run its course.

Really so 51% of all college graduates only went to college because of a sports scholarship ? Seriously ?

Sports scholarships are for a fraction of the student body.

This, thanks.

College football isn't a training ground for the NFL considering something like 98% of college football players go pro in something other than sports.
Perhaps but they can get to college without playing a sport. they would be able to devote more time towards their studys.

It is for learning for 98% of the student body who doesn't end up in the NFL. For those 2% maybe 1% will make it in the NFL.

(Those percentages are completely made up and I have no knowledge of the percent of college football players who make the NFL)

We agree on something.

It still shouldn't be a part of college , no sports should.

FyreWulff

I don't really see much of an impact on players. As we all know, NFL scouts don't really care about Ws. They look at the actual player performance on the field.

Cyan

Banned
There's a reasonably good argument to be made for removing sports from colleges.

Though I'm not sure eastmen is making it.

Do you just hate sports?

Not to be an asshole but did you get picked on by jocks or something as a kid?

Maybe I'm just speaking as a black guy but I know that a lot of my peers unfortunately are unable to make it to college. Smart or not they just can't afford it. So they either are stuck in low paying jobs or worse they resort to crimes and shit.

Sports scholarships are a way for poorer and perhaps not as intelligent kids to make it. Academic Scholarships aren't given out like candy and most of them don't pay for everything. College is fucking expensive.

I know that not everyone who goes to college on a sports scholarship actually learn shit but cutting out on that would prevent a shitton of dudes from making it.

The whole cult thing is fucked but cutting it out completely is some reactionary bullshit.

Mabye I'm not , I also don't believe sports should be allowed in highschool or end schools

okay now you are just being silly....

in high-school my example goes double....You don't like sports much do you?

Mabye I'm not , I also don't believe sports should be allowed in highschool or end schools

By that logic we should get rid of art classes too because you don't actually learn anything academically and most art majors are potheads and thieves.

You got beaten up by the football captain when you were a kid and now you're projecting your revenge fantasies. Admit it.

This thread is shit and sailed its course 10 pages ago, btw

V I tripped over my Playstation's power cord 10 years ago and had to go to the clinic for a sprained ankle. Ban all videogames!!!

eastmen

Banned
I played sports in highschool

Soccer , hockey , football and bowling .

Football caused me not walk for 5 months of my junior year and is the reason i have a metal plate and screws in my left leg.

Full contact sports should not be played in highschool and below and many other light contact or non contact sports should not be played either as they can lead to physical injurys.

eastmen

Banned
By that logic we should get rid of art classes too because you don't actually learn anything academically and most art majors are potheads and thieves.

You got beaten up by the football captain when you were a kid and now you're projecting your revenge fantasies. Admit it.

This thread is shit and sailed its course 10 pages ago, btw

Not get upset that someone is threatening your Fantasy football play . I know you need something to make yourself feel manly and younger capable men doing what you can't and possibliy ruining their lives is a good way to feel better about yourself when you get that tiny footbal trophy from your equaly pathatic friends in your fantasy league.

Pollux

Football caused me not walk for 5 months of my junior year and is the reason i have a metal plate and screws in my left leg.

Full contact sports should not be played in highschool and below and many other light contact or non contact sports should not be played either as they can lead to physical injurys.

I don't have a nerve in my left arm b/c of lacrosse. don't regret a thing. just because you're bitter doesn't mean everyone else shares your misguided viewpoint.

eastmen

Banned
I don't have a nerve in my left arm b/c of lacrosse. don't regret a thing. just because you're bitter doesn't mean everyone else shares your misguided viewpoint.

I'm not bitter at all , I loved playing sports . The fact is they should not be tied into schooling. Sports should be seperated completely . In highschool I knew exactly what I got away with in my town and what kids still get away with in towns across the country because they are part of football that people cum over.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2011/11/wayne_hills_puts_bullies_ahead.html

And i see it happening all the time in colleges too.

Those in sports are held above the rest of the student body and this should not be allowed and sports should be removed from the equation.

MThanded

Not get upset that someone is threatening your Fantasy football play . I know you need something to make yourself feel manly and younger capable men doing what you can't and possibliy ruining their lives is a good way to feel better about yourself when you get that tiny footbal trophy from your equaly pathatic friends in your fantasy league.
Ud47n.gif

Xeke

Banned

Full contact sports should not be played in high school and below and many other light contact or non contact sports should not be played either as they can lead to physical injurys.

Yeah um...It isn't like this is unknown when you get into it. People who play football know then can get hurt, even at a young age. Most players turn out fine and just like most dangerous things in our society (drinking,smoking,driving,flying...).

So you are bitter than you got fucked up by football?

Look that sucks and I kinda agree with you...for Football at least. That game is dangerous and growing kids perhaps shouldn't play it to the NFL level of play at least. But still you are ignoring the fact that sports open up an avenue that a lot of kids are unable to reach.

You can say they are lazy and should try harder but trust a kid who just isn't as smart as others can try all he wants to and still not get a nice scholarship. You are overstating the downside of sports waaay too much.

This is a bit off topic though make a topic on it.

eastmen

Banned
Yeah um...It isn't like this is unknown when you get into it. People who play football know then can get hurt, even at a young age. Most players turn out fine and just like most dangerous things in our society (drinking,smoking,driving,flying...).

Those all have age restrictions. Lets add an age restriction to contact sports then.

Lets see , drinking is 21 , smoking is 18 , driving is 16/17 , flying is 18/21 depending on state.

So lets make Contact sports an 18 or older activity as per your advice .

eastmen

Banned
So you are bitter than you got fucked up by football?

Look that sucks and I kinda agree with you...for Football at least. That game is dangerous and growing kids perhaps shouldn't play it to the NFL level of play at least. But still you are ignoring the fact that sports open up an avenue that a lot of kids are unable to reach.

You can say they are lazy and should try harder but trust a kid who just isn't as smart as others can try all he wants to and still not get a nice scholarship. You are overstating the downside of sports waaay too much.

This is a bit off topic though make a topic on it.

Your ignoring the fact that people aren't just naturaly college scholarship good at sports. It takes time and practice . Time and practice that could be better put to use through studying and trying to get scholarships that way.

Not only that but is someone who isn't smart enough to get a nice scholarship and can only get into a school through sports , really going to get a decent education or will he simply be pushed through classes so he can continue to play ?

Enron

Banned

ah hahhahahahaha.

eastmen just saved this thread.

Xeke

Banned
Those all have age restrictions. Lets add an age restriction to contact sports then.

Lets see , drinking is 21 , smoking is 18 , driving is 16/17 , flying is 18/21 depending on state.

So lets make Contact sports an 18 or older activity as per your advice .

Well the major difference between those and football is the benefits. People who otherwise couldn't afford college education get access and that is not just true for football. It can also present a career opportunity. If any of the other things I mentioned offer the same possibilities let me know.

eastmen

Banned
Well the major difference between those and football is the benefits. People who otherwise couldn't afford college education get access and that is not just true for football. It can also present a career opportunity. If any of the other things I mentioned offer the same possibilities let me know.

well driving and flying could open up pathways to jobs that can help people earn their way through college.

instead of focusing on sports a person can focus on studying and can earn academic scholarships and work through college that way.

Your ignoring the fact that people aren't just naturaly college scholarship good at sports. It takes time and practice . Time and practice that could be better put to use through studying and trying to get scholarships that way.

Not only that but is someone who isn't smart enough to get a nice scholarship and can only get into a school through sports , really going to get a decent education or will he simply be pushed through classes so he can continue to play ?

You don't get it.

I can only speak from my perspective. But around here sports are all the less intelligent kids have. It's not always about trying their best or not, no amount of studying is going to make you great at calculus for them. It's a way to keep them off the streets. As not all of them are wealthy enough to go to gyms where organized stuff may be readliy available.

Also in your world, those who are gifted at a sport are now unable to hone their craft...they are unable to be scouted unless they live in specific areas. You really think scouts will come to some place in KickaCow, Alabama?

You also don't know if the Kid who isn't smart enough to get a scholarship won't find something outside of their sport when they hit college....Colleges have a crazy list of resources that highschools don't supply.

I'm saying sports open up a shitton of opportunities. opportunities that if they weren't apart of the school system, they would not be able to take apart of.

It's cutting your nose to spite your face if the goal is to stop Cult like behavior. That will be a legit case of innocents being punished for something they didn't do.

well driving and flying could open up pathways to jobs that can help people earn their way through college.

instead of focusing on sports a person can focus on studying and can earn academic scholarships and work through college that way.

You say this like it's so easy...

"oh I want to learn to be a scientist...I just gotta study real hard". It doesn't exactly work that way...some people don;t have it. But this same guy may be great a shooting a basketball...would be nice if he can use that skill to get ahead in life.

eastmen

Banned
You don't get it.

I can only speak from my perspective. But around here sports are all the less intelligent kids have. It's not always about trying their best or not, no amount of studying is going to make you great at calculus for them. It's a way to keep them off the streets. As not all of them are wealthy enough to go to gyms where organized stuff may be readliy available.

Also in your world, those who are gifted at a sport are now unable to hone their craft...they are unable to be scouted unless they live in specific areas. You really think scouts will come to some place in KickaCow, Alabama?

You also don't know if the Kid who isn't smart enough to get a scholarship won't find something outside of their sport when they hit college....

I'm saying sports open up a shitton of opportunities. opportunities that if they weren't apart of the school system, they would not be able to take apart of.

It's cutting your nose to spite your face if the goal is to stop Cult like behavior. That will be a legit case of innocents being punished for something they didn't do.

Its about a privlage that goes with sports. It needs to be wiped out. As a culture we shouldn't idolize those who can throw a ball further or run faster , we should be looking up to those who have real acomplishments .

And not for nothing but many people have put themselves through college while working a job. Not only that but you can also first go to a community college and then trasnfer out .

You act like sports is the only way for some kids and it couldn't be further from the truth.

You also act like we should be helping the NFL and other sports leagues train their next crop of cash cows.

I understand that many of you get pleasure from watching these sports and buying into the reality of being part of these teams , but mabye its time for this country to grow up .

You say this like it's so easy...

"oh I want to learn to be a scientist...I just gotta study real hard". It doesn't exactly work that way...some people don;t have it. But this same guy may be great a shooting a basketball...would be nice if he can use that skill to get ahead in life.

Why ? If he is great at shooting a basketball what good does that do. Mabye he should have focused on something else . Should we make scholarships and leagues for all other useless things ? Oh look you are really good at touching your nose with your tongue , lets make up a league and pay your way through college just cause it be nice if you can use this worthless skill to get ahead in life .

drspeedy

Wow are we getting off topic...

Sports are part of college. Child abuse is not.

Let's separate the two here, gang. University officials that covered up a scandal to ensure further sports successes brought on the punishment at hand. As the saying goes, "success hides many sins"- except in this case both the "success" and the "hiding" have run out. Doesn't mean all collegiate sports are bad, that PSU should be shut down, or that the education the school provided to any past or present student is questionable.

Xeke

Banned
Its about a privlage that goes with sports. It needs to be wiped out. As a culture we shouldn't idolize those who can throw a ball further or run faster , we should be looking up to those who have real acomplishments .

And not for nothing but many people have put themselves through college while working a job. Not only that but you can also first go to a community college and then trasnfer out .

You act like sports is the only way for some kids and it couldn't be further from the truth.

You also act like we should be helping the NFL and other sports leagues train their next crop of cash cows.

I understand that many of you get pleasure from watching these sports and buying into the reality of being part of these teams , but mabye its time for this country to grow up .

Why ? If he is great at shooting a basketball what good does that do. Mabye he should have focused on something else . Should we make scholarships and leagues for all other useless things ? Oh look you are really good at touching your nose with your tongue , lets make up a league and pay your way through college just cause it be nice if you can use this worthless skill to get ahead in life .

Simply put not everyone has access to the same quality educations or the finances to put a kid in college in this country. Most football scholarship players don't end up in the NFL and take their studies seriously.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh look you are really good at touching your nose with your tongue , lets make up a league and pay your way through college just cause it be nice if you can use this worthless skill to get ahead in life .
Nobody is going to pay to watch a nose-tonguing league...wait, why am I answering you like you're actually serious?

GhcFT.jpg

giga

MJm1G.gif

MattDoza

I'm curious if/how many players are gonna stick it out, or take the advantage of the ability to transfer. Silas Redd is already being looked at by USC. Probably the best player on the team. PSU is going to be hurting for a long time. This is going to be a long road to recovery. Any player who leaves or wants to, shouldn't feel bad about it at all.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
whoa what did he get banned for?

I didn't agree with him but did he say anything offensive?

For future reference at least.
He was making some points, sort of, but this was pretty dumb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom