• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if/how many players are gonna stick it out, or take the advantage of the ability to transfer. Silas Redd is already being looked at by USC. Probably the best player on the team. PSU is going to be hurting for a long time. This is going to be a long road to recovery. Any player who leaves or wants to, shouldn't feel bad about it at all.

Oh no doubt they will feel pressure from the PSU fans and alumni base to not transfer. Wouldn't be surprised if some of these kids ultimately receive death threats on twitter

I'm curious if/how many players are gonna stick it out, or take the advantage of the ability to transfer. Silas Redd is already being looked at by USC. Probably the best player on the team. PSU is going to be hurting for a long time. This is going to be a long road to recovery. Any player who leaves or wants to, shouldn't feel bad about it at all.

Are players allowed to leave outside of the conference without any penalty to them or to the school they end up at? Isn't USC still under sanctions themselves? Why go from one bad situation into another?

MattDoza

Are players allowed to leave outside of the conference without any penalty to them or to the school they end up at? Isn't USC still under sanctions themselves? Why go from one bad situation into another?

They can move without penalty. It's a special exception the NCAA is making. No time lost, no waiting, nothing. Clean transfer.

jchap

Good to know the punitive price for raping children. From my math its about 4 million dollars + 3 scholarships + 1/4 year bowl ban per kid

MattDoza

Good to know the punitive price for raping children. From my math its about 4 million dollars + 3 scholarships + 1/4 year bowl ban per kid

I didn't feel like talking about the ruling, avoiding a roundabout debate. But it is weird, to me at least, that this isn't just something being handled in a courtroom completely separate from football and the team.

Death penalty for recruiting violations and cheating the system or whatever, fine. But this is something unlike anything before it, but being punished as if it should be handled the same.

Simply, I don't like it.

To pay the 60,000,000 fine that can't come from the athletic program or taxes. Tuition is the only other option.

It's $15 million a year. And they said it couldn't come at the expense of any other sport in the athletic department, not that it couldn't come from the AD at all. So indeed, the money can come from the football program.

Penn State has a stadium that holds 107,000 fans. If those fans spend an average of $30/ea. to go to games (which isn't much considering ticket price, parking, concessions, merch, ect.) you can pay that off with the revenue from five home games with money left over. And that's before you get into alumni donations, the TV money your football program is still gonna get, advertising revenue, shoe deals, the endowment, ect.

Quit crying. You are lucky it's only $15M/yr. And you aren't fooling anyone with this "Oh woe is us...we're so poor routine." It's just silly talk. We follow college sports. We know how much money is there.

EDIT: Just noticed that it is actually 12M/yr for 5 yrs. Even easier.

I've been reading some random Penn State fanblogs and forums in light of these sanctions.

Man. The internet really does have a defense force for everything.

Jackpot

Banned
I did not say JoePa was a moral person, I said he is more of a moral person than George Washington and Andrew Jackson who have statues everywhere and no one bats an eyelash or cries for them to be taken down. JoePa did not own 200 slaves, who's daily existence where a human rights abuse and sexual abuse was rampant during slavery, nor is he responsible for the death of tens of thousands of Native Americans. Both episodes which I think are morally worse than what JoePa did, and I dislike JP as much as you do.

If Paterno had lived in Washington's time and been affluent, he would have also owned slaves. Truth bomb: so would you.

greepoman

I didn't feel like talking about the ruling, avoiding a roundabout debate. But it is weird, to me at least, that this isn't just something being handled in a courtroom completely separate from football and the team.

Death penalty for recruiting violations and cheating the system or whatever, fine. But this is something unlike anything before it, but being punished as if it should be handled the same.

Simply, I don't like it.

It's been said many times... by not reporting these crimes and then going around recruiting claiming to espouse the same values you're going against IS a recruiting violation. The football culture that allowed this to continue is totally separate from the criminal activity. You think a couple people somehow magically made themselves all powerful where they could do whatever they wanted? Read stories about how anyone who challenged the system were ostracized, fired, etc. Read stories about board members, psu fans, football program people's opinions after all these "criminals" were gone and it's readily apparent they just want this to be out of the news so they can go about as usual like nothing has changed.

Puddles

Banned
The talk section of Paterno's wikipedia page is ridiculous.

"Someone edit out the paragraph about him winning his 400th game, as he never actually won that game."

I understand that we don't want him to leave behind a great legacy, but stuff like that seems pretty goddamn r-word.

george_us

This is a pretty lame punishment. Program should have gotten the death penalty for ten years minimum.
Nah it's still a pretty hefty penalty but Penn State football should have been shut down for at least two years in addition to these fines. The NCAA basically sent the message that Penn State football is too big to fail. I know money rules over all but damn, even child rape is secondary to the almighty dollar. Makes you sick when you think about it.

Ironically programs like Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Texas etc. can rest easy knowing they'll never get the Death Penalty.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There probably should have been a few more years of the football program not being allowed to start up, but I don't believe they should have taken away Paterno's wins.

Has anyone here actually read the Freeh report? I've heard that some things said and reported are just assumptions.

I don't know if Freeh is the person to trust in these matters

http://www.businessinsider.com/penn-state-investigator-louis-freeh-accused-of-heading-a-massive-cover-up-as-director-of-fbi-2012-7

But ex-FBI agent and whistleblower C. Fred Whitehurst told William Fisher of Prism magazine that Freeh's action were similar to those of PSU officials because Freeh "did everything in his power" to cover up mistakes made by FBI forensic analysts:

plus sensationalism sells.

There probably should have been a few more years of the football program not being allowed to start up, but I don't believe they should have taken away Paterno's wins.

Has anyone here actually read the Freeh report? I've heard that some things said and reported are just assumptions.

http://www.businessinsider.com/penn-state-investigator-louis-freeh-accused-of-heading-a-massive-cover-up-as-director-of-fbi-2012-7

I've read a couple people use that article as some form of argument to defend JoePa. All I can say is, it never hurts to use a cover up artist to sniff out a cover up. Besides, his time in the FBI has nothing to do with Penn State. If they were able to dig up a story that showed him to have some kind of anti-Paterno bias or that he's always been in the back pocket of some of the Board of Trustees or something to that affect, then maybe they would be on to something. Otherwise it's meaningless.

The talk section of Paterno's wikipedia page is ridiculous.

"Someone edit out the paragraph about him winning his 400th game, as he never actually won that game."

I understand that we don't want him to leave behind a great legacy, but stuff like that seems pretty goddamn r-word.

erasing his record is a justifiable punishment for a deceased man who prioritized glory & reputation before children wellbeing

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I didn't know we had a Paterno posting on the board. Welcome.

joe_paterno_statue_removed2012-wide.jpg

We all know the key starters are bound for big schools but I'm curious as to who goes to the medium and small schools for a chance to start. There are some talented back ups and redshirt freshmen who may want to to start right away at a school like Marshall instead of riding the bench (or being used rotationally) at Alabama or LSU.

Forever

Banned
I changed my mind last night after reading more delusional outcries from the Penn State community; I think they should've gotten at least the four year death penalty that they were apparently threatened with. That would give time for the entire poisonous student body to graduate and allow a new culture to take root there. Oh well, I hope the years of mediocrity will at least get them to lower the pedestal a bit.

Their credit rating is due for reevaluation and State Farm has pulled its sponsorship, so the new leadership should know better if there is a next time. Morals might not mean anything to the people at that institution but at least these are consequences that they can understand.

Cyan

Banned

*quick google search*

*sigh*

Good luck with that line of argument.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow GAF, I expected better from you than to go into full on witch hunt mode because someone mentioned a countering opinion.

Forever

Banned
Wow GAF, I expected better from you than to go into full on witch hunt mode because someone mentioned a countering opinion.

When sane people see a member of the Penn State community cult trying to ape the ridiculous spin of the Paterno family do you expect him to be taken seriously? We've been down that road several times already and are well aware that you're not here to be persuaded. Don't try to act like a victim.

If you don't want to be burned at the stake then you shouldn't wear a pointy hat while flying on a broomstick and making donations to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and fuckin' Wizardry.

Did I read it right. Did Spanier claim this couldn't have happened because he suffered child molestation as a child? Am I making that up?

edit: Nope, found it:

"It is unfathomable and illogical to think that a respected family sociologist and family therapist, someone who personally experienced massive and persistent abuse as a child . . . would have knowingly turned a blind eye to any report of child abuse or predatory sexual acts directed at children," Spanier wrote in a five-page letter to Penn State's trustees.

Is it possible for that entire cult to just shut the hell up for a couple of months? They're doing absolutely nothing but digging their hole deeper and ruining their reputation even more.

Why can't they just accept the damn thing and move on? Their bitching and temper tantrums do nothing but prove why the very punishment they're decrying is exactly what they should've gotten.

So.

I read Moody's might downgrade Penn State's credit. When it rains...

Did I read it right. Did Spanier claim this couldn't have happened because he suffered child molestation as a child? Am I making that up?

edit: Nope, found it:

"It is unfathomable and illogical to think that a respected family sociologist and family therapist, someone who personally experienced massive and persistent abuse as a child . . . would have knowingly turned a blind eye to any report of child abuse or predatory sexual acts directed at children," Spanier wrote in a five-page letter to Penn State's trustees.

I wish him good luck with that.

These dummies understand that a 9-11 plane crashed in their state and people died there, right? They must understand that, right? These people. Oh lord these people.

Someone help me out with what the Moody's downgrade implies. Thanks.

Forever

Banned
These dummies understand that a 9-11 plane crashed in their state and people died there, right? They must understand that, right? These people. Oh lord these people.
Joe Paterno wasn't on the plane so whatever, no big deal compared to the almighty football sanctions.

Makes it harder to repay their debt, which ultimately costs them more money.

Westonian

Means loans and other financing (bond issues) will come at a higher interest rate for Penn State, costing them potentially millions more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom