• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Yagharek

But the customer service complaints make it clear you have to deal with these muppets in order to resolve any (inevitable) problems. If the only customer service route for the product is non-existant/dysfunctional, why would you deal with them?

Unless 5 month delays and illegal billing (months ahead of shipping) is fine by you, in which case go ahead.

aku:jiki

Guys just to be clear, the actual product is not made by him, correct? So even though it's okay to hate him, let's just wait before actually calling for a boycott of the product or anything. I think like the guy in the OP's story said, this might hurt the actual product, though I suppose you could say that that company s royally fucking up the shipping dates themselves too.

Edit: Beaten.
I'd be all for that if someone hadn't already linked to the company's Twitter where they sound basically like Paul, "loling" at "crying customers." N-Control is the company if you want to google it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'd be all for that if someone hadn't already linked to the company's Twitter where they sound basically like Paul, "loling" at "crying customers." N-Control is the company if you want to google it.
that's because, as people have said, their twitter is most likely run by him... as he is their marketing..

aku:jiki

that's because, as people have said, their twitter is most likely run by him... as he is their marketing..
But what does that say about N-Control if this is the guy they hire, and they allow him to keep going? That post about "crying customers" is over two weeks old. It should have at least been deleted by now...

Edit: So Paul is definitely bi-polar, right? He does the same type of complete 180 with this guy Nate, going from explosive fury to cheesy friendliness in the blink of an eye.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
But what does that say about N-Control if this is the guy they hire, and they allow him to keep going? That post about "crying customers" is over two weeks old. It should have at least been deleted by now...
yep. we need to see how long it takes for them to drop him. that's the point of this thread along with people form IGN calling him out and etc.

but you're right. them allowing that for 2 weeks is shit

JORMBO

Darkness no more

He knows all of Boston. What can you do with a guy whos ties run that deep?

Zomba13

The one thing that is good is that Gabe seems to be keeping it very clear that it is the marketing guy and NOT the product (you know, the one that can help disabled kids!).

For those that don't know it's basically an attachment that essentially turns the triggers into another face button. I think it was originally created for super speedz for mad cod skillz for teh broz, but then was re purposed when it became an actual product to be more for kids who couldn't necessarily use the triggers on controllers. I think I remember some video being posted around some news sites a long while ago.

This.

While the douche is a massive dick and he should not work in the business he is in the product isn't his. He is just doing the horrible, horrible marketting (which I think should be the new word for bad marketing). The product, however silly looking it may be, is a pretty cool thing because it can help disabled people enjoy games if they can't hold the controller right or hit the buttons.

Edit: So Paul is definitely bi-polar, right? He does the same type of complete 180 with this guy Nate, going from explosive fury to cheesy friendliness in the blink of an eye.

Backpeddling to try and save his ass. The Nate guy threatened legal action and after laughing at him at first he back peddled to try and please Nate and when he realised Mike = Gabe he back peddled so PA wouldn't out him as a douche/ban him from PAX (then went right back to douche when Mike was all 'don't contact me again')

Bernbaum

For people deriding the controller - it's designed for the handicapped.

This Ocean Marketting schmuck, however, is worthy of all your derision and is likely to be dropped by N-Control (the makers of the peripheral) pretty damn soon.

Zaptruder

Banned

This Ocean Marketting schmuck, however, is worthy of all your derision and is likely to be dropped by N-Control (the makers of the peripheral) pretty damn soon.

If it's designed for the handicap, the marketing doesn't make this particularly clear.

As far as I can tell, it's marketed as extreme gamer's advantage edge crap; use all the bombs, flips, jumps and 360 spins in a single motion!

Sorry if old.

WOW JUST WOW read the entire story and ow man this is just sooooooooooooooooooo bad :O:O.
I got an incredible email today from a Penny Arcade reader. Dave shared with me an email chain between him and Ocean Marketing (the folks behind the Avenger controller) Trust me when I tell you that this is one wild ride. I’m serious, Mr. Toad would look at this ride and just give a slow clap while shaking his head. I have tried to arrange this as best I can in chronological order. I’ve also removed email addresses and other private information. So let’s just jump right in, here is Dave’s first mail to Ocean Marketing:
Read the rest at their website before I can copy the txt but the format there makes it easier to read.

!!!!! READ THE ENTIRE STORY HERE !!!!!

jgminto

There's a thread about it in OT but it would probably make more sense here.

EDIT: And yeah, it's completely insane.

blazeuk

This.

While the douche is a massive dick and he should not work in the business he is in the product isn't his. He is just doing the horrible, horrible marketting (which I think should be the new word for bad marketing).

The problem is, the company making the product and the marketing (and customer service) for the product are one in the same to consumers. They're hiring this guy so the blame falls at their feet. As a company, you can't excuse yourself from such poor customer relations just because you hired another company to deal with it.

It sounds like they have major issues with supplying the things anyway, so whilst the marketing side of things is awful, the manufacturing and distribution isn't that great either...doesn't make for a business i'd ever want to deal with.

Yagharek

He's been doing sabotage for them for a year.

Zomba13

If it's designed for the handicap, the marketing doesn't make this particularly clear.

As far as I can tell, it's marketed as extreme gamer's advantage edge crap; use all the bombs, flips, jumps and 360 spins in a single motion!

I don't think it was ever designed or marketed towards the handicapped. I think it was a happy coincidence that the weird ass design of the thing made it easier for some people who couldn't use controllers to actually use them.

The problem is, the company making the product and the marketing (and customer service) for the product are one in the same to consumers. They're hiring this guy so the blame falls at their feet. As a company, you can't excuse yourself from such poor customer relations just because you hired another company to deal with it.

It sounds like they have major issues with supplying the things anyway, so whilst the marketing side of things is awful, the manufacturing and distribution isn't that great either...doesn't make for a business i'd ever want to deal with.

So true. I mistook the companies twitter feed as being from the actual company and not being from the douche. I was confused until it was cleared up for me. I think (and I'm no business expert here) that the makers of the thing should cut all ties with this idiot and his company and issue an apology.

He knows all of Boston. What can you do with a guy whos ties run that deep?

I just took a look at his personal facebook page, we actually have quite a few friends (of friends) in common. I guess you guys could say I know half of Boston? :lol I probably bumped into him at Pax East last year.

His social media performance is embarrassing, from his page he actually seems like a nice guy. He should swallow his pride, issue a public apology, and stop making promises on release dates until he knows when the product will be available. TBA Q2 2012 is a projected release date, and if people want to give you their money on something that vague, at least you aren't deceiving them.

Reminds me of the situation with 2k games marketing for Duke Nukem Forever, some clown started running his mouth on twitter about how websites who gave the game a bad review wouldn't be getting press copies of new 2k games in the future. 2k fired the marketing company about a week later.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yeah, the site doesn't work
41J5Nl%2BtREL.jpg

Septimius

I don't think it was ever designed or marketed towards the handicapped. I think it was a happy coincidence that the weird ass design of the thing made it easier for some people who couldn't use controllers to actually use them.

Yeah, I remember seeing videos of this probably half a year ago. Wasn't there a thread on GAF discussing if this could be considered cheating? The way it markets itself, it most certainly is the reason I would never use it. "Shoot faster by not having to use the trigger like you always had to" and whatever. Everyone else sits with a normal controller, I'll do the same.

I'm glad people that can't use a normal controller can benefit from this, but it's certainly not their main group. The makers of this peripheral should drop this guy today, or they'll sink with him.

So let me get this straight;

From his marketing twitter he sells his clients products

He will never understand basic grammar. Your and you're baffle him as does "I could care less"

His companys base MO is in direct opposition to his actual skills

N Control are going to really need to come out with a statement on this and probably sue the prick for damages. Problem being this has gone on for a long time... I really want to know his relationship to the company. Seems fishy.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Your acting like a douchbag not that it matters pax east pax west , e3 , CES , Gamer Con , SSXW ,Comic Con, Germany I’m all over the place. If we want to be there we will be there with industry badges or with a booth you think I can’t team up with turtle beach , Callibur or Koy Christmas , I can’t get Kevin Kelly to pull some strings or G4 , Paul Eibler Ex CEO of take 2 , Rich Larocco Konami , Cliff Blizinski Epic who were working with on a gears version , Activision who were working with on a MW3 and Spider man Bundle , The Convention Center Owners themselves , Mayor of Boston come on Bud you run a show that’s all you do and lease a center in Cities you have no pull in its all about who you know not what you do. I’ll see space where ever I want , with who I want when I want and where I want so many ways around you and so many connections in this industry its silly.
This is a rare event where someone says "I'm a pretty big deal" and doesn't mean it in a funny way. Great.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder when we'll see OMG MAH LITTLE BRO JACKED MAH PC!!! SORRY!!! as a response from Ocean Marketing.

Septimius

I wonder when we'll see OMG MAH LITTLE BRO JACKED MAH PC!!! SORRY!!! as a response from Ocean Marketing.

There is nothing else to do. He's never once talked smack, and all the times it's just been his bro on the computer, or his cat walking across the keyboard

LiK

HAHA, what an idiot. Yea, he's getting some PR alright. What terrible responses. Imagine the other customers who wrote in as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
When IGN calls you unprofessional, you know you've hit rock bottom.

h3ro

Rarely do people actually deserve what's coming to them.

This guy does.

Sad thing is, I bet that control is fantastic for people with disabilities and it's sad to think that obtaining one of their newer models involved dealing with this person.

Internet, do your thing. Anyone know if 4chan has a hold of this guy yet?

h3ro

Dude's twitter is amazing right now. His reply to the IGN guy:
@OceanMarketting said:
@ScottLowe your a douchebag anyway Scott we sent you how many units for review , How many conversations You were the unprofessional one

This gun' be goood.

NewFresh

It doesn't take much to keep a customer happy. A "Sorry for the delay", "Yes, we can give you the $10 credit" it's really simple.

It also helps to not call the customer a little bitch. Customer support 101

Top Bottom