• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Garjon

Kermit was actually defending a liar and a thief and trying to rationalize that a "domestic violence" charge isn't that bad.

He was deliberately being as obnoxious an asshole about it as possible.

"Being an asshole" is not a minority opinion, it's "being an asshole."

Not really sure why you want to white knight him.

How is calling him an idiot who should have cleared everything up by day 2 defending him? He's saying that with the current evidence, it may be harsh to label him a wife beater. His execution in getting this point across left a lot to be desired however.

jaxword

i'm not white knighting anything, just pointing out that if TOS includes being abrasive, then most of us would be banned by now :p I don't think the moderators need to protect against possible hurt feelings in an argument or arguably questionable stances about villains like this marketer guy. Discussion ≠ circle jerk here or in the real world, for that matter. Not everyone should be expected to phrase everything in a perfect manner because that's the exception and not the rule.

There's a world of difference between being "abrasive" and being an asshole for no reason other than to be a condescending asshole with a persecution complex.

He didn't make his points well and thought being an asshole would help. It didn't. That's all there is to it.

Roto13

I love how you guys automatically think he got banned because you disagreed with his minority opinion. Whoops, not "opinion," it's "trolling" when it goes against the neogaf brush.

No, it's trolling when the only reason someone comes into a thread is to look down on everyone else for posting in it. Literally, the only reason he came into this thread was to be a douchebag and annoy people. He was absolutely and unquestionably trolling. It would be like going into a Gears of War OT to call everyone a pathetic idiot for playing a dudebro shooter.

There's a world of difference between being "abrasive" and being an asshole for no reason other than to be a condescending asshole with a persecution complex.

He didn't make his points well and thought being an asshole would help. It didn't. That's all there is to it.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing, just sounds like you are upset and emotional about this. He was an abrasive asshole, we established that. and he made points, we established that. everyone on this site makes points while being a huge dick about it at some time or another.

No, it's trolling when the only reason someone comes into a thread is to look down on everyone else for posting in it. Literally, the only reason he came into this thread was to be a douchebag and annoy people. He was absolutely and unquestionably trolling. It would be like going into a Gears of War OT to call everyone a pathetic idiot for playing a dudebro shooter.

No it isn't the same as trolling a game thread at all. For one thing, this is a much more complex issue than whether you like a video game or not. You think internet vigilantism isn't a questionable and possibly damaging thing? I can see why he'd be soured on the idea. It has gone too far plenty of times and often just looks like a circle jerk of hate after the people involved feel mandated to do whatever the fuck they want to a person after that person fucked with someone that none of us know.

I'm not saying that happened here, but you never know.

He was trolling. He had nothing to add to the discussion beyond a holier-than-thou attitude.

And that's par for the course for Kermit. You should have seen him in the Black Ops community thread in early-mid 2011. He pretty much singlehandedly trolled that thread into oblivion and nothing happened because nobody mods community threads. It's a shame, because I always felt like he had good points to make, but could never make them in a respectful manner.

Also - this thread is still going? Wow. I figured it would blow over a lot faster.

And that's par for the course for Kermit. You should have seen him in the Black Ops community thread in early-mid 2011. He pretty much singlehandedly trolled that thread into oblivion and nothing happened because nobody mods community threads. It's a shame, because I always felt like he had good points to make, but could never make them in a respectful manner.

Also - this thread is still going? Wow. I figured it would blow over a lot faster.
Well in addition to latest developments being posted, there was a lot of bickering.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
At least you guys are talking about Kermit instead of Paul.

Paul had his 15mins of infamous internet transgressions. Time to slide back into oblivion with all the other dead memes.

ElRenoRaven

At least you guys are talking about Kermit instead of Paul.

Paul had his 15mins of infamous internet transgressions. Time to slide back into oblivion with all the other dead memes.

Don't worry the talk about Paul will resume on Thursday evening after his interview with Spike TV. So far the extent of anything that has happened was the new pr guy tweeting that Paul was all like this is the last text message you'll get from me. He immediately followed it up with 6 more text messages.

Dunan

To be fair, his point was that it's just a DV charge, not a conviction; there's a bit of a jump to go from the charge to the claim of wife beating. For instance, false allegations can still lead to a DV charge. "Alleged assault" wording instead of "definitely beating" was where he was heading with it.

That said, Paul was asked about this and I don't think he actually denied the charge, just explained the circumstances (he was freeloading with a girlfriend he broke up with due to her being crazy, something about having a bad day, etc.). So ... yeah.

I wanted to make the same point. Allegations and charges are very different from convictions, and in some municipalities, the police are required to arrest someone whenever a DV-alleging 911 call is made, whether evidence exists or not. I'd be extremely skeptical about anyone trying to make hay out of the fact that someone was on the receiving end of such a charge, even someone as over-the-top ridiculous as Christoforo seems to be.

Paul has given himself enough rope with which to be hanged (figuratively, of course) without us pundits treating allegations as if they were guilty verdicts.

ElRenoRaven

I wanted to make the same point. Allegations and charges are very different from convictions, and in some municipalities, the police are required to arrest someone whenever a DV-alleging 911 call is made, whether evidence exists or not. I'd be extremely skeptical about anyone trying to make hay out of the fact that someone was on the receiving end of such a charge, even someone as over-the-top ridiculous as Christoforo seems to be.

Paul has given himself enough rope with which to be hanged (figuratively, of course) without us pundits treating allegations as if they were guilty verdicts.

I agree with you guys there. As mentioned it's not as cut and dry as people think it is on that. All we know is that he had charges against him. We do have an innocent until proven guilty justice system here. So unless he was convicted or is convicted that should not be held against him. He's given enough rope just based off his customer service and his continued antagonism of the gaming community. So bringing up the DV stuff is really not called for. We have plenty of ammo against him as is.

El-Suave

I'm pretty upset that THIS is the train the mainstram games media is jumping on.
Keighley should try to do aninterview with Todd Howard or Pete Hines from Bethesda, and ask about their PS3 Skyrim lies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm pretty upset that THIS is the train the mainstram games media is jumping on.
Keighley should try to do aninterview with Todd Howard or Pete Hines from Bethesda, and ask about their PS3 Skyrim lies.

That means giving up their free swag, and we can't have that happening, now can we?

Neverfade

Wait, the interview is 'tonight'? As in, Hour and a half from now?

I was under the impression that 1 am Thursday happened about a day ago.

So confused.

ElRenoRaven

Wait, the interview is 'tonight'? As in, Hour and a half from now?

I was under the impression that 1 am Thursday happened about a day ago.

So confused.

Yup. For some reason they always say Thursday but it's really Fridays when the show airs. Never understood that myself. So in about an hour and a half it comes on.

ElRenoRaven

KeighleyTime™

Speaking of it's time for Keighley Time. Manswers is going off and GTTV is now coming on. It seems that we're starting off with CES stuff. Pimping CES coverage on spike. 4 hours to be exact.It's looking like the interview may be near the end of the show.

Ok just said 14 mins till the interview. So it will be at the end of the show.

ElRenoRaven

It's on now. Starting with a recap with the guy. Says he didn't know who Gabe or Penny Arcade were. Penny Arcade didn't look like a well built website. Now hitting him on the put your stupid hat on and set you in the corner line. He says he didn't really even know what he said.

I'm not in PR & Marketing

He's in Sales he says.

Would he have changed his tactics? If it had stayed private they would have worked it out. He apologized to the guy. Now asking him what he makes of all the memes he is now a part of. Asks him if he feels everyone is against him. He does. He can't understand why everyone hates him. That's it. Rest of interview is during their CES coverage on Tuesday.

What a load of shit. Geoff talked it up and then it's like 2 minutes of it with the rest to come during CES coverage on Tuesday morning.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MwVgb.jpg

EDIT:
part 2....

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, how was the interview? Did he cry?

EDIT: Wait, the rest during CES? What? The whole thing wasn't even there!? What bullshit is this?

ElRenoRaven

So, how was the interview? Did he cry?

EDIT: Wait, the rest during CES? What? The whole thing wasn't even there!? What bullshit is this?

Nope. They had maybe 2 to 3 minutes of it. That's it. Then Geoff is like you can catch part 2 on Tuesday during our live CES coverage on Spike TV.

BY2K

Membero Americo
And what was the 2-3 minutes? Did they said anything of was Geoff just looking at the guy trying to make himself pass as the victim in this story?

ElRenoRaven

And what was the 2-3 minutes? Did they said anything of was Geoff just looking at the guy trying to make himself pass as the victim in this story?

I recapped it as it happened. This is literally all there was.

It's on now. Starting with a recap with the guy. Says he didn't know who Gabe or Penny Arcade were. Penny Arcade didn't look like a well built website. Now hitting him on the put your stupid hat on and set you in the corner line. He says he didn't really even know what he said.

I'm not in PR & Marketing

He's in Sales he says.

Would he have changed his tactics? If it had stayed private they would have worked it out. He apologized to the guy. Now asking him what he makes of all the memes he is now a part of. Asks him if he feels everyone is against him. He does. He can't understand why everyone hates him. That's it. Rest of interview is during their CES coverage on Tuesday.

What a load of shit. Geoff talked it up and then it's like 2 minutes of it with the rest to come during CES coverage on Tuesday morning.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh, it was just a few post above.

If it had stayed private he would have probably just insulted the guy some more. What a joke.

And I don't see any memes of him, aside from the few jokes about Ocean Marketing.

ElRenoRaven

Oh, it was just a few post above.

If it had stayed private he would have probably just insulted the guy some more. What a joke.

And I don't see any memes of him, aside from the few jokes about Ocean Marketing.

There were a couple. He was all like well before I could do anything they were out there.

legacyzero

Banned
I had a pleasant surprise last night.

I had sent Paul a message over Xbox Live the night that he has revealed his Gamertag over that podcost. I dont remember exactly what I has written, but it was somwhere along the line of:

"tough break, guy. Hope you learned from this and can climb out of that hole you dug for yourself."

He actually responded! With: "thanks, bro."

:p

I had sent Paul a message over Xbox Live the night that he has revealed his Gamertag over that podcost. I dont remember exactly what I has written, but it was somwhere along the line of:

"tough break, guy. Hope you learned from this and can climb out of that hole you dug for yourself."

how does it feel to know a real live famous person????

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I like he has a big smile on his face when Geoff reads out some of his insults, this guy is only sorry he got caught.
Pretty much. He is showing no remorse and clearly doesn't believe he didn't any wrong.

He clearly has a severe case of illusory superiority going on. These types of interviews only further sully his reputation as it doesn't appear he's learned anything.

Reminds me of the "Harrison Ford interview" bit that was used in "Bruno".

Guh. My hope from all this was that he'd get ousted from the industry, not have a spotlight put on him. Sort of sad, even when he's being called out on his BS. The easy solution is to stop giving this guy an outlet to talk, stop paying attention to him and force him to find another job. Preferably one that has no interaction with people whatsoever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Guh. My hope from all this was that he'd get ousted from the industry, not have a spotlight put on him. Sort of sad, even when he's being called out on his BS. The easy solution is to stop giving this guy an outlet to talk, stop paying attention to him and force him to find another job. Preferably one that has no interaction with people whatsoever.
At the same time, his time in the spotlight is revealing just how delusional the guy really is.

I doubt this will do much for his business.

At the same time, his time in the spotlight is revealing just how delusional the guy really is.

I doubt this will do much for his business.

That's an excellent point...he's most probably out of this industry. That said, people like him always try to spin something like this, and there'll always be a sucker. IMO he's just being given more opportunity.

i never checked to see if i got a reply. hey look, i did.

i'd sent him a message saying 'sup'. i got the following reply on the third... 'sup'.

just replied back to him 'not much bra'. gripping i know.

Roto13

That's an excellent point...he's most probably out of this industry. That said, people like him always try to spin something like this, and there'll always be a sucker. IMO he's just being given more opportunity.

It's not even just this industry. The problem isn't that he's just bad at PR. The problem is he's a lunatic and an unrepentant asshole. So any time he applies for any job in any industry, there's like a 95% chance his potential employer is going to Google him, and they're going to find all of this. With pictures and videos of him so they're 100% sure it's the same Paul Christoforo.

Hell, he'll have the same problem if his fiance leaves him and he starts dating again. Probably because he punched her in the face or something. comeatmebro.gif

in the end if it wasn't for this terrible story I would have never even heard of this controller.

how knows, if they are talented they could be able to take advantage of this train wreck

Top Bottom