• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark New Trailer Released | Xbox Showcase 2024

clarky

Gold Member
What a joke. This looks nothing like Perfect Dark and is just trying to use the name to boost its success. Otherwise it would look like an incredibly generic shooter.
It looks like a first person espionage shooter? Isn't that exactly Perfect dark?

First person ?
Ginger bird?
Shooting?
Gadgets?
Data dyne?

What more do you want? An exact remake? Anything has to be better than Zero.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

You used the worst render of Joanna Dark. Yours was the cheap Blender-looking knockoff they used for the remaster. Here's the classic N64 one:

Eo_JaMOW4AQB50q.jpg

810a9ae28934190cdca9aa7c8c575bb3--perfect-dark-heroes.jpg
It's from the remaster but yes the original looks better,thanks.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Seems more like a rewrite of the first game but things seem to be flipped on their head. Joanna is indeed supposed to be a Bond archetype but there is just too much talking going on. Probably is a Deus Ex game at it's core but just using Perfect Dark name to generate more hype.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided At Home to be specific. Still a good game, but pales in comparison to Human Revolution, and even worse when comparing to the original. Deus Ex didn't always look like this.

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
This game is Perfect Dark in name only. It bares little resemblance to Perfect Dark at all. If it had any other name no-one would even pay it the slightest attention. After all this time I expected so much more.

March Climber

Gold Member
It looks like a first person espionage shooter? Isn't that exactly Perfect dark?

First person ?
Ginger bird?
Shooting?
Gadgets?
Data dyne?

What more do you want an exact remake? Anything has to be better than Zero.

Perfect Dark to me was always these two things first: Level design/mission design and unique gadgets to help during those missions. Everything else, including gunplay, came secondary to those two pillars.

Esppiral

Before the Perfect Dark logo I was thinking this shit looks like a borefest after they revealed that it is indeed Perfect Dark I still think that it looks like a shitty borefest.

Griffon

Looking at the slow gameplay, it kinda makes me think more of how Perfect Dark Zero plays than Perfect Dark. This isn't a good sign.

clarky

Gold Member
This game is Perfect Dark in name only. It bares little resemblance to Perfect Dark at all. If it had any other name no-one would even pay it the slightest attention. After all this time I expected so much more.
How so? see my post above. The original is 24 years old, any sort of reboot is going to look completely different.

Although im not as hot on this as some, the gameplay looked really baked in. Wait and see for me.

March Climber

Gold Member
In order to explain why this is not Perfect Dark at all, imagine how this cutscene in the original would fit into the new game:

It wouldn't, because the tone is all wrong.

For context, this alien twist reveal was haflway through the game. The original was marketed as a serious espionage game from the makers of Goldeneye. The game even has a serious tone up until you meet Elvis.

Last edited:

manfestival

I dig what I saw in this trailer. Missed the reveal earlier but the youtube video of it was nice. Will follow this one for sure.

Killer8

For context, this alien twist reveal was haflway through the game. The original was marketed as a serious espionage game from the makers of Goldeneye. The game even has a serious tone up until you meet Elvis.

This is still 1000x campier (and sexier) than anything show in the conference demo.

Varteras

Gold Member
Super glad they stuck with a first-person perspective after all of those claims that the game was being designed as a third-person action game. It's looking promising so far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of women with that jawline, but at least shes not black washed or ugly. She does look pretty imo. Reminds me Olivia Wilde who has a similar chin, but you're all just shouting DEI nonsense every moment you can unless she looks like an asian whoremodel.

MV5BYzUwOTA2ZmQtZGI1Ni00NjQ5LWE4MDktODk0YmVjMTQ2MGFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQWpoZWZ0bGVy._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg
It's almost as if the game doesn't have a history of what the character looked like.

I liked what I watched and how the trailer was directed. They tried to explain the game with gameplay scenes which is a good sign, even if what they showed was a bit lacking. Artstyle and graphics were good too, everything looked realistic and pretty. Overall I have good feelings about this.

I'm not hating, that's why. People have a right to their critcisms.
If the game turns out amazing, I doubt you'd comment on her chin. I hate these double standards around here. If a japanese dev made a female character with a chin like that, most of gaf would be "OMG MARRY ME" and all that crap. If u find her ugly thats fine, but I wouldnt call that criticism.

ungalo

How is it generic ? It's probably (unexpectedly) the most interesting game of the show to me.

It could turn out bad depending on the balance between the different design elements we're seeing in the trailer. But the first person action/stealth with this kind of setting feels refreshing compared to the other action/adventure games.

I think Fable looks a lot more generic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the game turns out amazing, I doubt you'd comment on her chin. I hate these double standards around here. If a japanese dev made a female character with a chin like that, most of gaf would be "OMG MARRY ME" and all that crap. If u find her ugly thats fine, but I wouldnt call that criticism.
Not I. I'd still poke fun, and poke fun at them as well. I already called out those types who gave RE4 a pass for redesigning the characters in the same way Demon's Souls did, but one was raked over the coals due to being a Western studio.

Last edited:

RavageX

Looks rough to me, not sure what everyone else is seeing. Also, I guess it's good that its FPS cause that is a bad character model IMO.

SHA

I liked the original pd but I gotta say this is the mirrors edge we wanted and there's nothing wrong with that.

Not I. I'd still poke fun, and poke fun at them as well. I already called out those types who gave RE4 a pass for redesigning the characters in the same way Demon's Souls did, but one was raked over the coals due to being a Western studio.

I see. Well, I suppose you, we, have to adjust to modern times. I agree in some cases, like Fable and whatnot, but sometimes I find it acceptable, here. Or maybe I just have a thing for Olivia Wilde look-alikes?

:)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I see. Well, I suppose you, we, have to adjust to modern times. I agree in some cases, like Fable and whatnot, but sometimes I find it acceptable, here. Or maybe I just have a thing for Olivia Wilde look-alikes?

:)
She looks more like the square jaw Sonya that MK had a bit ago.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
If the game turns out amazing, I doubt you'd comment on her chin.

Sure, but the game is not out yet so we can only comment on what we see right now. Games with ugly characters normally have hideous writing and bland gameplay. These 3 factors come together in an unholy trinity most of the times, so it's legit to be sus.

I hate these double standards around here. If a japanese dev made a female character with a chin like that, most of gaf would be "OMG MARRY ME" and all that crap.

Any example? I can't imagine Asian devs designing ugly main characters unless they are parodies.

Top Bottom