• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Timu

That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.
Beautiful post, well said, I don't like how Ubisoft has been recently.

Yup. They should have just swallowed their 'creative' pride and reduced the number of npcs on screen. Simple as that. And I, as well, won't be supporting them this gen because of their micro-transaction practices.
How does having 10000 NPCs actually improve gameplay? Would having 5000 NPCs instead make any difference?

Regardless on the fact that its Ubi's fault it is still in sony's best interest that this game runs at least at parity, for the reason that this creates only negatives for sony.

Sony can do and maybe should nothing, but if they do nothing they will suffer slightly for it .

I have to say Microsoft sending engineers to help out with Destiny and probably other games, is something to applaud. Their actions helped up the resolution of that game from 900p to 1080p without any impact to performance on Xone. Great for Xone owners.

Having said that Microsoft are a software company with more expertise, manpower, money and motive to take such actions compared to Sony. I just wish ICE team up their game and improve their ps4 SDK's at a faster rate, assuming they are not already doing so, of course.

Toparaman

Banned
That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

Chill. We don't know what the hell even happened to this game to make it perform so poorly. Don't throw everyone under a bridge just because of some dishonest marketing and PR.

To be fair, I haven't ever bought a Ubisoft game, so maybe that's why I'm not as upset as you.

Chill. We don't know what the hell even happened to this game to make it perform so poorly. Don't throw everyone under a bridge just because of some dishonest marketing and PR.

To be fair, I haven't ever bought a Ubisoft game, so maybe that's why I'm not as upset as you.

His post just tells me he needs a break from gaming. lol

200Mhz clock difference is not that much and I don't buy it as making the difference.

As someone who was in the beta for PS4, it happened last week.... Xbox One beta has been ongoing since early summer.

Xbox is the lead platform and has been the priority, PS4 has suffered from a lack of development time.

Both versions could use more time, the PS4 more so.

Hmm, very interesting. If that really is the case, then no doubt the ps4 version suffered because of the priority given to weaker hardware.

Amir0x

Banned

who is everyone? We're throwing Ubisoft under the bridge. For, as you can read, a persistent history of fucking with consumers because they know they can get away with it.

This is the last straw. It honestly doesn't matter why it's performing this badly. They saw the game was in this state, and released it. Either their ambitions were too high or they designed a game as an unoptimized mess for the systems or they failed to do their jobs in some way. There is no actual excuse that makes them look OK.

And then you pile on all the rest of the shit they've been doing?

Yeah, no. Fuck Ubi bro

RayMaker

Banned
I have to say Microsoft sending engineers to help out with Destiny and probably other games, is something to applaud. Their actions helped up the resolution of that game from 900p to 1080p without any impact to performance on Xone. Great for Xone owners.

Having said that Microsoft are a software company with more expertise, manpower, money and motive to take such actions compared to Sony. I just wish ICE team up their game and improve their ps4 SDK's at a faster rate, assuming they are not already doing so, of course.

The PS4 SDK has been good from the get go and it has been reported that they are trying to it improve it even further.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

I said COT DAYUM!!!!!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

This can't be quoted enough. Ubi is probably the shittiest big publisher on the market right now. They put out some gems once in a while, like AC4(and FC4 is looking pretty decent too), but even on those games they tack on bullshit like Uplay. On top of that, they now have the nerve to introduce F2P-like microtransactions in their not so free half finished games.

DOWN

Banned

They aren't sending engineers out of the kindness of their hearts. They are desperate to get rid of resolution debates and Destiny still looked worse on XB1.

LurkingFear

e9XNdPa.gif

Well... Crossing Eden, what do you have to say for yourself?!
Couldnt find a pitchfork-wielding mob

Toparaman

Banned
who is everyone? We're throwing Ubisoft under the bridge. For, as you can read, a persistent history of fucking with consumers because they know they can get away with it.

This is the last straw. It honestly doesn't matter why it's performing this badly. They saw the game was in this state, and released it. Either their ambitions were too high or they designed a game as an unoptimized mess for the systems or they failed to do their jobs in some way. There is no actual excuse that makes them look OK.

And then you pile on all the rest of the shit they've been doing?

Yeah, no. Fuck Ubi bro

Fair enough I guess. I play mostly Nintendo games so the whole world of DLC micro transactions and bad optimization is mostly alien to me. I guess it's probably really frustrating if you're a fan of UbiSoft's games but not their business practices.

DOWN

Banned
And if you just lower the NPC count then you cant claim its a next gen AC game. It will look like every other AC game before it.

There's thousands more NPCs on screen over last gen AC titles. They could easily drop the size by 20% and still have it look huge. It would absolutely still be among the biggest interactive crowds at that size. Heck, there's some streets that look as busy as modern Manhattan despite no riots going on, which to me just seemed oddly overpopulated.

Did you even read the post? It's not just about why the game performs so poorly. Ubisoft has very quickly became the greediest company in the industry. Completely anti-consumer.

It's to the point where I won't be purchasing Far Cry 4. I know it will be good, but I can't justify supporting a company that doesn't care for the people buying its products. I'll just send that money Rockstars direction.

Edit: This coming from the guy who generally mocks people for saying they won't be getting a game has a certain irony to it, I understand. If I ever called you out, now is your chance to devastate me.

Dat 3% overclocked. Sorry but lol. It's completely illogical what's happened here.

This.

Its absolutely impossible from a mathematical perspective for the tiny differential in CPU clock to result in such a large frame per second differential.

There is ZERO chance that is the reason this is happening.

Did you even read the post? It's not just about why the game performs so poorly. Ubisoft has very quickly became the greediest company in the industry. Completely anti-consumer.

It's to the point where I won't be purchasing Far Cry 4. I know it will be good, but I can't justify supporting a company that doesn't care for the people buying its products. I'll just send that money Rockstars direction.

Calling them out for making promises that they can't/don't keep is ok. But what exactly is it that's making you to call them greedy or anti-consumer?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I stopped buying Ubifactory games after watch dogs. That game is so horrid, lol. Just the laziest mission design and press [ ] to win gameplay ever. But I don't really know why we are randomly hating on ubisoft in the thread. Lol.

Amir0x

Banned
I stopped buying Ubifactory games after watch dogs. That game is so horrid, lol. Just the laziest mission design and press [ ] to win gameplay ever. But I don't really know why we are randomly hating on ubisoft in the thread. Lol.

not so random, everyone has a point. I mean if you went into a Watch Dogs topic after you played it and said "I won't buy Ubifactory games after playing this" nobody would say it was random. For you it was Watch Dogs, for others it's today and this latest travesty. It's just sad the way Ubi is these days

RayMaker

Banned
This title seems like it would be ideal for cloud support on BOTH platforms, the NPC's dont look all that much more intelligent then titanfalls?

Isnt 75 metacritic still good? its what driveclub got aint it?

Is this title that much inferior to previous AC's?

"Outside of more open areas, Assassin's Creed Unity manages to deliver a consistent 30fps on both consoles for prolonged periods of time, adding a welcome degree of smoothness that complements the generally excellent next-generation graphical upgrade."

Wow. I'm a huge fan of this series, and all the talk about unplayable framerates today got me all freaked out, and thinking I was going to have to hold off on playing this until I could afford to upgrade me PC. Seems like all the framerate fuss was over nothing, especially considering I'll be getting this on the One.

Calling them out for making promises that they can't/don't keep is ok. But what exactly is it that's making you to call them greedy or anti-consumer?

The review embargo on a game that is OBVIOUSLY broken. They didn't ship the game and then realized, "Oh, wait. This doesn't seem to be working at all!" The DRM that Ubisoft uses. Microtransactions in a $60 game (and don't say it's been there since AC3, because I've been complaining about it since AC3. I know how long they've been adding this crap.). Telling us that "30FPS" gives the game a "cinematic feel" especially now that we realize the game doesn't even hit 30 half the time.

I could probably write an essay on things that Ubisoft has done wrong. It's not excusable at this point. If you need more, read the post by Amirox. Follow the links.

More on topic, they are greedy because they knew this game was trash. Unless they just never played their own product. Ubisoft has just went downhill in a major way within the last few years. Not trying to persuade you to hate Ubi or anything, just saying that I, personally, won't be buying another game by them until they begin respecting consumers. Plenty of other games coming out.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
_1413434492.jpg

After they see this chart Ubi decides to make a CPU bound game.

that is about right. it will be really interesting to see what happens when they defer more tasks to the GPU.

i've never seen a generation so lop sided in power and yet publishers, like Ubisoft in particular, seem to be holding back more than ever. it's like we keep having "resolutongate" type moments, where everyone paying attention comes out scratching their heads. in this case, it's utilizing the CPU and ignoring whats under the PS4's hood.

really hope Ubisoft steps it up soon

Look over there...it's a shanty/almanac page/feather/package/diamond for you to collect!!!

Exactly. YAWN.

This + "press x to win" is the biggest reason Ubifactory (I LOLed) have pretty much been on my "Buy Only When $15 or less and/or used" list going back to Ass Creed 1.

Poor optimization on the ps4 port. 40% more powerful yet, no improvements in graphics, lower the stupid NPC count and get this running 1080p/30fps. I find mind boggling the XB1 version runs better, must be extra cash involved.

SparkTR

Sue me, but I prefer the softness of the PS4 image quality.

There's difference between softness and a vaseline smear, they used the worst kind of FXAA setting in the game which is enhanced by the low resolution. You can get the same effect on PC by setting FXAA to maximum, but nobody does it because it looks like ass. I really hate how developers treat that effect these days.

Mifune

Mehmber
What other big publisher is bankrolling stuff like Rayman, Child of Light, and Valiant Hearts, though? I understand that their AAA stuff is a shit show but Ubi isn't all bad.

DOWN

Banned

Probably the fact they push hard for pre-orders with discounts and exclusive items, many of which can't be cancelled upon the game's reviews if they are digital or shipped via online retailer.

And they hype up a desirable release opportunity to play but again they have embargoed away any chance you will have of knowing the game's general quality before mid day on release, for many that is 12 hours after they have the game in hand. If you open it, physical or digital, you are generally screwed come the reviews 12 hours later.

If you decide to wait on reviews, you will pay more and get less in game options because you didn't pre-order when they had discount and item incentives.

How does having 10000 NPCs actually improve gameplay? Would having 5000 NPCs instead make any difference?

Hell, just 500-1000 NPCs would blow my face off. It would have been completely and totally unique for console game. Its almost like that 10000 number was some type of bullet point for them, to say they have done something no other game has done.

Despite the fact that they did it at a very large cost to performance on both consoles.

Wow! The clarity of the pc version compared to ps4! And some people claim resolution isn't that important. Tsk.

Wait, the PC JPG is 1.6mb and the PS4 JPG is 189kb

I'm not stating anything about clarity of PS4 vs PC I've no idea on that HOWEVER you can't take compressed JPGs and compare them when the compression level is 8x higher in one than the other...

I'm with y2kev except I didn't even get watch dogs. Ubisoft is just generic and boring and predictable as fuck. Ubisoft games just aren't worth the money.

Uh...$99 macrotranactions inside a $60 game? Using F2P sales techniques inside a game with a retail price is absolute bullshit and the height of anti-consumer.

Superfluous and completely annoying, non-functional DRM platform that has the bonus of not working at ALL to deter pirates while inconveniencing the average person. Pirated copies of their games actually do work better simply because the DRM has been removed.

Giving public lip service to the issue by having company reps admit they know DRM doesn't work but then continuing to use it anyway.

I'm sure there's more that bother others but those are the main ones that bother me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hell, just 500-1000 NPCs would blow my face off. It would have been completely and totally unique for console game. Its almost like that 10000 number was some type of bullet point for them, to say they have done something no other game has done.

Despite the fact that they did it at a very large cost to performance on both consoles.
If they could hit 1080 and a smooth 30 with 1000 NPCs and without huge amounts of pop in, it would have been impressive as hell. 10k NPCs was just overkill and whoever was too stubborn to allow them to turn it down sank the ability of the game to achieve it's numerous other goals.

charsace

People are buying way too much into GPGPU. Games are harder to run things in parallel. AI and Physics for example is something that I have a hard time seeing running in parallel. AI tasks running in parallel would be hard to do too due to AI being a lot of branching code. Threading on the CPU can be difficult, on GPU its even harder because you have to break things down into smaller chunks and find ways to run as much as you can in parallel.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People are buying way too much into GPGPU. Games are harder to run things in parallel. AI and Physics for example is something that I have a hard time seeing running in parallel. AI tasks running in parallel would be hard to do too due to AI being a lot of branching code. Threading on the CPU can be difficult, on GPU its even harder because you have to break things down into smaller chunks and find ways to run as much as you can in parallel.
AI would be tough to run on GPGPU but it excells at physics. For this game it would make more sense to offset cloth physics on GPGPU to clear up CPU resources, if they haven't already.

DOWN

Banned
So PS4 should be running better than XB1 right? There's like no reason it shouldn't be the better version in this gen of consoles when developed for correctly?

Sounds like the CPU is a single digit difference in percentage favoring XB1, but PS4's GPU is in the dozens of percentage ahead of XB1.

Sporran

But, Cerny said.

Top Bottom