• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

I'm an idiot, so someone explain to me in idiot terms why exactly the frame rate is so broken. Why can't the X1 and PS4 run this game properly?

CPU bound game, CPU in both Xbox 1 and PS4 are weak.

That's what graphics settings are for.

Ubisoft wanted to show a true leap in Unity compared to past games. They did this buy showing a real living city with tons of NPCs. I have to say, it really stands out and it will with casuals. Its a good move for them. This will sell tons.

I'm an idiot, so someone explain to me in idiot terms why exactly the frame rate is so broken. Why can't the X1 and PS4 run this game properly?

From a completely ignorant perspective, the ps4 is a weak console and the xbox one is a weaker console in comparison to how far tech has come since the 360 and and ps3 launched nearly a decade ago.

RayMaker

Banned
Why is it in Sony's best interest? Isn't AC:Unity partnering with Microsoft for marketing?

Furthermore, it should be on Ubisoft's head if their game fails to live up to the standards they themselves set. There's absolutely no reason why we should be blaming Sony for the shit port job and inability to utilize the more powerful system. Lots of talk about being CPU limited, which would only matter if they literally ignored the next gen GPGPU features on hand. I'd rather just let this silly franchise whittle away than see it propped up by the misguided intentions of the platform holders.

In any case, this game is a complete fucking disaster with regards to performance.

simply because its better for them having the game at least parity rather then having it inferior,

Similar to hows its been in MS best interest to make diablo 3,destiny etc more inline with the PS4 version.

Granted its not going to be that big of deal because sony still has like 90% of the time Superior multiplats but its till gonna have some negative impact on the PS4's image.

This is what happens when you use Chiclets as CPUs. Thanks Sony and MS!
No. Definitely, no.

The only one guilty here is Ubisoft. PS4 and XB1 are closed boxes, Ubisoft knows what's inside yet they developed CPU bound algorithms. On systems that were designed as GPU centric.... That is not clever at all to say the least and is totally the result of Ubisoft's own design decisions. This clusterfuck is on them, no on Sony nor MS.

Regiruler

The game is programmed so badly that it performs inversely proportional to the power level of the console.

I am eagerly looking forward to the NES version.

Lemondish

simply because its better for them having the game at least parity rather then having it inferior,

Similar to hows its been in MS best interest to make diablo 3,destiny etc more inline with the PS4 version.

Granted its not going to be that big of deal because sony still has like 90% of the time Superior multiplats but its till gonna have some negative impact on the PS4's image.

Well, this is the first game where this is the case, and for silly reasons at that. Do you honestly think this was something that they would have predicted, especially since their device is more powerful graphically and can offload CPU tasks to the GPU without impacting graphics performance?

It took half the first year before we heard consistent reports of MS sending developers to fix multi-platform games. Sony doesn't send devs the very first time a shit game from Ubisoft is unoptimized and it's wah wah Sony's fault all of a sudden.

Development began back when Ubisoft expected the PS4 and XO to feature more powerful hardware. The giant crowds require heavy CPU use, and the Jaguar processors the two consoles ended up with aren't up to the task. Rather than reign in the crowds and scale back to get everything running smoothly, Ubisoft just decided to instead leave the game CPU bound and sell it with an awful frame rate.

The XO has a mildly better frame rate due to a higher CPU clock speed (10%, so should only be 2-3 frames more) and being the lead platform for development due to comarketing with MS (which likely accounts for the rest of the frame rate advantage). The PS4 got the shaft because of 'Parity'.

Ubisoft are shit basically. Expect games next year to utterly humiliate this in terms of scope, quality and polish, on both systems.

leadbelly

Banned
Ubisoft wanted to show a true leap in Unity compared to past games. They did this buy showing a real living city with tons of NPCs. I have to say, it really stands out and it will with casuals. Its a good move for them. This will sell tons.

In all honesty, what stands out to me is the atrocious pop in. It is something I really couldn't stand last gen. It seems Ubisoft rather than reducing the pop in have gone in the other direction. It seems like a step up to me.

Lemondish

Development began back when Ubisoft expected the PS4 and XO to feature more powerful hardware. The giant crowds require heavy CPU use, and the Jaguar processors the two consoles ended up with aren't up to the task. Rather than reign in the crowds and scale back to get everything running smoothly, Ubisoft just decided to instead leave the game CPU bound and sell it with an awful frame rate.

The XO has a mildly better frame rate due to a higher CPU clock speed (10%, so should only be 2-3 frames more) and being the lead platform for development due to comarketing with MS (which likely accounts for the rest of the frame rate advantage). The PS4 got the shaft because of 'Parity'.

Ubisoft are shit basically. Expect games next year to utterly humiliate this in terms of scope, quality and polish, on both systems.

This. Ubisoft may think they're pioneers with regards to this, but their game was too ambitious for their ability. I fully expect far bigger and better experiences by this time next year.

Seanspeed

Banned
haha I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

But there shouldn't be lots of things that don't work as advertised. People get together and make a stand then changes happen. Why are you not supporting this? Its fucking great.
You cant change some games just not turning out great sometimes, though. And a game cant be in development for an unlimited amount of time.

This goes for anything, really. You say nothing should ever not work great, but you cant stop products from coming out that aren't going to be great. That's just unrealistic. I could probably find some guitar cable that is pretty crap. But I'm not going to raise a stink about it. I'm just not going to buy it. Its not a great product so I move on.

What I'm saying is IF you cared more about the masses, those who don't educate themselves on the stuff they buy, you'd be better off. This is why compassion is so important in this discussion. I get the impression you've definitely got your own back, which is a shame because if you cared about others more you might be playing this game.
Yea, I'm not gonna fall for this guilt trip nonsense, sorry. Its bad enough when people try and tell people who buy the game that they're 'part of the problem', much less somebody who is actually *not* buying it because of the issues it has but isn't gonna raise a stink about it. lol

I'm also pretty outspoken on my desire for high framerates in games as a priority. Just because I don't get angry or make declarations of boycotts doesn't mean I'm not trying to have a say. If I truly didn't care, I wouldn't say anything about it whatsoever. I wouldn't even be in this topic, ya know?

spannicus

I remember when that footage popped up of Watch Dogs that looked amazing. Think Ubisoft said thats what they were targeting for the Next Gen consoles, but when they dropped, the hardware wasnt up to snuff.

RE_Player

I have to take the side of those voicing this is Ubisoft's fault. These are closed systems so they could have scaled accordingly. Instead they wanted to brag about how many NPCs they have or other CPU intensive features which caused performance to be garbage.

Jburton

Banned
Pretty bold claim to say that an overclock from 1.6 GHz to 1.75 GHz has nothing to do with a 5 fps lead in a CPU-bound game.

Ubi claim lots of things.

Also a 150Mhz over clock increasing frame rates by 5fps is nonsense.

This game is undercooked, x1 had more development time but still not enough.

First ps4 beta only happened last week, been ongoing for x1 since early summer.

It's been rushed.

prwxv3

Sorry but making a engine that relies on something the the desired hardware has a weakness in is the very definition of insanity.

RayMaker

Banned
Well, this is the first game where this is the case, and for silly reasons at that. Do you honestly think this was something that they would have predicted, especially since their device is more powerful graphically and can offload CPU tasks to the GPU without impacting graphics performance?

It took half the first year before we heard consistent reports of MS sending developers to fix multi-platform games. Sony doesn't send devs the very first time a shit game from Ubisoft is unoptimized and it's wah wah Sony's fault all of a sudden.

And where did I say it was sonys fault?????
Predicted? surly Sony must keep tabs of the progress of one of the biggest fall games on there platform.
Yeah I agree this is UBI's incompetence, I never said it wasnt. I simply stated that it is in sonys best interest that this game performs as well on there platform as the competitions.

To say this game being inferior on sonys platform does not affect sony at all, is wrong, it does, weather they had the power to change it I dont know, I'am guessing they didnt given the fact that every PS4 game has been the superior version and sony have been very gamer centric from the start.

CPU bound game, CPU in both Xbox 1 and PS4 are weak.

They could (and should) have lowered the NPC count to make the game run better. The answer to his question is 'shit devs'. If you know full well that the consoles you're working with have weak CPUs, then the last thing you do is fill the fucking screen with hundreds of NPCs until the game runs like hobo ass.

In a way, I'm glad Ubisoft are such fuck-ups. It saves me a lot of money this gen.

No. Definitely, no.

The only one guilty here is Ubisoft. PS4 and XB1 are closed boxes, Ubisoft knows what's inside yet they developed CPU bound algorithms. On systems that were designed as GPU centric.... That is not clever at all to say the least and is totally the result of Ubisoft's own design decisions. This clusterfuck is on them, no on Sony nor MS.

Closed boxes using PC parts. So you can throw that out the window. Watch how the PC version of this perform really well.

boeso

You cant change some games just not turning out great sometimes, though. And a game cant be in development for an unlimited amount of time.

This goes for anything, really. You say nothing should ever not work great, but you cant stop products from coming out that aren't going to be great. That's just unrealistic. I could probably find some guitar cable that is pretty crap. But I'm not going to raise a stink about it. I'm just not going to buy it. Its not a great product so I move on.

Yea, I'm not gonna fall for this guilt trip nonsense, sorry. Its bad enough when people try and tell people who buy the game that they're 'part of the problem', much less somebody who is actually *not* buying it because of the issues it has but isn't gonna raise a stink about it. lol

I'm also pretty outspoken on my desire for high framerates in games as a priority. Just because I don't get angry or make declarations of boycotts doesn't mean I'm not trying to have a say. If I truly didn't care, I wouldn't say anything about it whatsoever. I wouldn't even be in this topic, ya know?

They could have delayed it though. Games get delayed all the time.

You could probably go find another Guitar cable. There's only one publisher of AC games.

I'm not guilt tripping you. Tell me how my logic fails with regards to caring for what others buy and I'll respond to it. Well you have the nerve to have a go at those who don't 'educate themselves' about the product, but you won't use your knowledge to help the situation. I'm not asking you to raise a stink, just treat the games you buy like food you buy in a supermarket.

I'm not asking you to be angry, I'm asking you to be more compassionate. Jesus wept. I just can't connect your logic of wanting to previously playing the game, and you're putting people down who are trying to make a stand against the game being unfinished and help future iterations of the game. Me no understand.

GrayDock

And I was complaining that I couldn't get the PS4's AC:U(nplayable) in the Target's b2g1 promo...

Dragon Age here I come...

Reg

Banned
They could (and should) have lowered the NPC count to make the game run better. The answer to his question is 'shit devs'. If you know full well that the consoles you're working with have weak CPUs, then the last thing you do is fill the fucking screen with hundreds of NPCs until the game runs like hobo ass.

In a way, I'm glad Ubisoft are such fuck-ups. It saves me a lot of money this gen.

Yup. They should have just swallowed their 'creative' pride and reduced the number of npcs on screen. Simple as that. And I, as well, won't be supporting them this gen because of their micro-transaction practices.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Failure of optimization, and greed. Development for this game started years ago.....and they were expecting that the CPU's of PS4 and MS's consoles would be more powerful. But at the same time, they did not properly optimize the game by reeling in the crowds or scaling things back to improve performance at all and instead sold it as a broken mess because profits.

We know that Ubisoft IS looking into GPGPU capability for PS4 and Xbox One via their development slides to cover for the CPU issues, but implementation of those technologies would have been much too late to ship with this game. So instead we get a broken mess.

I expect next year to get a much better product if Ubi has learned anything from this development.

And if you just lower the NPC count then you cant claim its a next gen AC game. It will look like every other AC game before it.

Top Bottom