• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 gets 10/10 in first English version review

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinstar

Japan @ the 2017 GOTY Awards

iPFOazd.png

it's beautiful

I love games again

i havent even BOUGHT nier yet

ethomaz

Banned
I was told in FFVIIR thread JRPG turn-base is dead.

Awesome score.

I hope it tracks over NiER just to not break the review score sequence :D

Ken

Finished the JP version last year. It's pretty good but I can also see people not liking one or two aspects about it.

Still definitely a 9+ game if I had to do the score thing.

I am getting caught up in the hype... But, I have never played a Persona game before... will I "understand" the game? Or do you think that it requires a past familiarity to enjoy it?

For instance, I played Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 without ever having played the first one and loved it. But, conversely, had I not played the first 3 Uncharted games first, I can't imagine getting as much out of Uncharted 4. People that tried missed out on some of the story beats and references... So, how about Persona?

Thanks for the feedback!

You'll get a few little nods towards previous games like the school trip event of Persona 4 going back to Tatsumi Port Island from Persona 3, but the games are pretty much self-contained. I say "pretty much" since the P4 fighting game spinoffs went to great lengths to try and link P3 and P4, but it was about as forced as that WWE Scooby Doo crossover.

Basically you can jump in at Persona 5 without missing anything.

UberTag

I was told in FFVIIR thread JRPG turn-base is dead.

Awesome score.

I hope it tracks over NiER just to not break the review score sequence :D
Turn-based isn't dead. It just doesn't sell to casuals.
Final Fantasy is now a mainstream franchise designed to move product to casuals.
Persona 5 is for the gaming enthusiasts. Namely us.

He's warmed up to Zelda after getting his own Switch.
That's reassuring.

bigol

It's similar to 4 in that it's enjoyable and things actually happen. Persona 3 fans beware

I'd say it follows the formula but it's its own thing. It's still very anime but the characters and situations are more grounded in the real world (comparatively) than the other two, and the game is far better for it.

The game's only real flaws are that it's way too talky and way too long. There are some other minor issues, such as the story not being perfect and some minor things, but really, it's head and shoulders above anything else in the series and it's in my personal top 5 now I think.

Thanks. It's exciting to know it's his own thing. Not bothered by it being too talky, i'm loving Yakuza 0 and that game is full of text too. As long as the text gives more deep to the characters and events i don't care.

i'm mostly concerned about story and characters as always, i dont have high hopes that the actual team can manage to top Persona 2

And then there is Automata this year, in the jrpg department i dont think something can manage to beat it.

Dantis

Finished the JP version last year. It's pretty good but I can also see people not liking one or two aspects about it.

Still definitely a 9+ game if I had to do the score thing.
I'd say it's a 9 too. Dungeon crawling is better than any I've played, presentation is super slick and the soundtrack is mostly strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom